SE Custom 24 Review

8.4
reviews (12) pictures (2) 68 comments vote for this gear:
SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: jhart08, on march 05, 2010

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: Made in Korea, I got mine in the whale blue flame top. Its the pretty basic mahogany body, flat laminate maple top. PRS design treble ad bass pickups controlled by one volume, one tone with a three way selector switch. The PRS designed tremelo is extremely smooth, it will definately suprise you. I don't have an issue with the guitar going out of tune with the whammy, but I don't dive bomb every note. The tuners are sealed lubrication, which if you don't know makes a world of difference in tuning quality and stability, so you won't need to Switch the tuners out unless you want a wider gear ratio, which I may consider in the far future. Comes with a high quality gig bag. With the cost being exactly the same to that of the SE Custom 22 (I caught a sale on the website), I decided to try my first 24 fret guitar and love it... the 25" scale suits my hands perfectly, not to much of a stretch but not crammed in together. The only thing I would change would be the nicer pickup selecting on the higher end PRS guitars, but thats just whinning. // 9

Sound: Not gonna lie, I planned on swapping out the pickups when I purchased the guitar and could afford either the tremonti set or SD hotrodded set... But I was pleasently suprised at the quality of the stock pickups... Someone in the far east is doing soemthing right. I couldn't believe after all I've heard and experienced from cheaper guitars that this plays as well as it does. I love the wide thin neck profile...not like playing a baseball bat but not as thin as Jackson or Ibanez, the latter being my first preference. I play jsut about everything, but the clean sound is what sells me...this guitar iss great... I roll back the tone and select the neck and I'm in heaven, but the opposite with the bridge offers a very bright sound. Roll the tone back a little on the bridge and I can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond and it sounds amazing. AS for distortion, I think its all in your amp, its the clean sounds that make or break a guitar. I play everything from metal to blues and everything in between, and this guitar keeps up. I know I may be rambleing and this may not make much sense, but the pots on this guitar are incredible... The taper is very smooth, so you really have a 0-10 instead of something like 0, 8-10 like on your cheap guitars. Sure the price is more, but i sleep easy at night knowing they didn't cut corners like a few other companies (Squier and Epiphone). Overall, very suprised and satisfied with it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish was unbelievable out of the factory... I play using the GHS Gilmour 10.5-50 strings, and I didn't really need to change anything. However there is one issue that I need to attend to and that is the nut. Its seated perfectly, but it needs some attention as far as intonation goes... I think the nut action on the G and B strings is a little high, so when I go to an open D chord it sounds ungodly out of tune, but this is a simple fix. I need to take the time to readjust. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Absolutely perfect here... I swapped out for straplocks just from bad experiences prior to this, but this guitar is MADE to play live... I haven't gigged with it as I bought it in the offseason, but have no fear going into the next. Hardware is solid, no need to Switch tremelos (for those who have never played a PRS before the tremelohas a strange look to it, not like a FR or a Vintage Fender but works tremendously well). Finish will definately last a long time before wearing, but when you listen to music you aren't looking at the guitar are you? // 9

Overall Impression: PRS is vastly expanding their SE lineup. It seems like the only one that is staying constant is the Tremonti SE, which by the way if you are looking for a single cut les paul style guitar, you are doing yourself a disservice not going to play one first... This one smokes the epis and is cheaper! The Custom 24 has been put on production halt for their 25th anniversary edition which is no different but has bird inlays similar to the high end guitars that gives the custom more character. I don't care though, I bought the guitar for feel and play not looks, and every SE will deliver exactly what you are looking for. You will not be dissappointed. // 9

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Made this year I think, in Korea...South obviously. 24 medium jumbo frets, wide thin neck profile made of maple with a rosewood fretboard and birds, a first for an SE. Mahogany body with a maple cap and on top of that a thin slice of maple veneer, all covered in a very glossy finish. Two open-coil humbuckers linked to a 3-way Switch and one vol and tone. Non-locking tuners that have some play in them, not that great, and PRS' proprietary tremolo made of nickel-plated bras, works well. The guitar gets a 8 discounted only because of the poor tuners and the wide thin neck since I wish they also offered it in a wide fat profile. Also, two vol and tone controls like a Gibson would have been nicer. // 8

Sound: It sounds plenty full, very similar to a Gibson but higher with more treble and not as much low end as a Les Paul. More sustain than any bolt-on guitar but slightly less than a Gibson, probably due to the tremolo. In any case, more than enough sustain than I've ever needed. The pickups are what I consider medium hot, enough for hard rock and ok for metal but not ideal, a bit muddy. A little too hot for jazz but you can still pull it off if you roll back the vol. As with all PRS guitars I've played, the vol is very sensitive and you can clean up dramatically with just a slight turn back, making it very versatile. This guitar's home field is anywhere from blues to hard rock. The pickups are very noiseless and I find they take overdrive very well. Compared to a PRS Santana SE I also own, this is much brighter, thanks to the maple I assume. This allows for a more-or-less Fenderish bell tone on the neck pup with the tone to the max, but not nearly as high. with the tone rolled back you get woman tone but with more bite and focus than say a Gibson SG or the Santana SE. The bridge pup has lots of bite and you can get seering leads from it, much tinnier than a Gibby. In general, a very pleasing rock and roll guitar no matter how you set the controls. In a nutshell, somewhere in between Gibson and Fender without achieving exactly either one's tone. It sounds like a PRS, you have to decide if that's what you want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on mine is pretty much perfect, very impressive for a Korean guitar. But no better than my other PRS. The top veneer looks great, the frets are well dressed and everything is as it should be. To be expected from PRS. As for the action, I prefer tremolo models, even though I don't use the whammy, because I lower the bridges to be flush with the body. This gives me more sustain, plus lower action than I'm able to get from PRS' stoptail bridge, which I dislike all together because you can't intonate it perfectly and I play 11 gauge strings so it would be this way or I'd have to buy one of those tonepros replacement bridges for another 150 bucks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar with no problems other than the bad tuners. I will soon replace for Grovers. The finish is a bit delicate but no more so than other glossy mahogany guitars I've played. In general, I advise against gigging with no backup for reasons that don't have to do with the build quality of a guitar, but this is as solid as any. Gets a 9 due to the bad tuners. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for over 15 years and have owned Gibsons, Fenders and many other brands and feel I've found home with PRS. I could upgrade to a US model but I find these SE's allow me to express all my musical ideas as well as I would with any guitar so I don't see any reason to upgrade except materialism. I can't knock the quality so the only thing left is for you to decide if you like it or not. If stolen, I'd get another PRS model probably, maybe the singlecut. The things I don't like are the tuners, the birds (prefer ordinary dots), the thin neck (I like the big fat ones) and the fact that PRS makes me get tremolo even though I don't use one. I wish they made a Telecaster type bridge (one with a saddle per string) with strings through the body. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for my signature model to come out. // 9

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: Breakingpoint56, on november 22, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: I've had my PRS for almost a year now and figured it was a good time for a review. My Custom 24 has the tri-burst finish, which looks much like the 2012's tobacco finish, except a little lighter. All in all this is a beautiful guitar. Mahogany back and sides, maple top and rosewood fretboard. What sets this one apart from older models is the classic bird inlays which really complete the aesthetics on this particular guitar. Wide thin neck, VERY comfortable, and a nice deep cut heel for upper fret reaching. This guitar however gets a 9 for the flat top instead of the carved top on the 2012 model. Bridge style was tremolo with a twist. It is recessed to allow you to bend up or down. 2 humbuckers, 3 way selector and stock non locking PRS tuners. // 9

Sound: I play hard rock so this guitar really fits the bill. Very versatile sound and for stock pickups they don't perform half bad. I always prefer to after-market my guitars for personal preference and to really make the guitar feel like my own custom model. That being said, I didn't have an immediate urge to replace the pickups unlike my Epiphone Les Paul. I play through a Randall RX120 and its just sings and growls when I need it to. The bridge pickup is rather bright and responsive, while the neck pickup is saturated approaching muddiness that I absolutely hate on a guitar. High gain produces a little feedback, but rolling off the volume just slightly cuts it out. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: While the guitar was set up well from the factory, I immediately noticed a problem with the tuners. This guitar would not stay in tune for anything which was VERY disappointing considering what I paid for this I could have spent a little more money and got an American-made Gibson Les Paul. So before I rushed out and spent any money, I researched the issue and found out it was VERY common. The problem originates in the nut of the guitar and many people recommended putting graphite in the slots or replacing it altogether. Taking no chances, I chose the latter and also replaced the tuners with Gotoh tuners. It now stays in tune with no issues. (It's important to note that I replaced it with a PRS nut to be safe.) My biggest and only real complaint with Paul Reed Smith is they are the Apple of guitar companies. You could buy their pickups but they are even more expensive than Gibson's and that's quite a bit of clout considering the company (est. 1985) is so young. Also, their Phase II locking tuners that come on Standard models DO NOT FIT an SE model. You have to redrill holes on the headstock and that is VERY disappointing. While they do make wonderful guitars, I feel like the ball was really dropped in the manufacturing of this particular model. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged quite a few times with this guitar and before I replaced the nut and tuners, I was very nervous about playing live so I didn't abuse it too much. Naturally, this is disappointing considering the money spent. I always bring a backup no matter what, but its usually just for a little variety. The strap buttons on this guitar are an absolute shining point for this guitar. Many lower end guitars and even some higher end have notoriously bad strap buttons but I have yet to have a problem with these. They have not been loose once. The pickup selector is going bad which is a negative but they are cheap to replace. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, Paul Reed Smith DOES make excellent guitars but in this particular instance they need to go back to the drawing board and fix inherent issues instead of replacing unnecessary things. For example, the new 2012 model has coil splitting. Every company has jumped on that bandwagon. Instead of coil splitting though, they could have done what they do with their American models and made it a five-way which splits the coils naturally. They need to put a higher quality nut, or their own nut in place instead of cheap plastic. Many say a flat top cuts down on the cost but there is only a 15 dollar price difference from my model and the new 2012. Poor show, PRS. I've been playing for 9 years now and while this guitar outshines my modded Epi Les Paul, I've had to put money into it just to get it that way and considering the initial price, that really puts a bad taste in the mouth. I feel like if I had the money I would sooner feel more comfortable buying a Gibson Les Paul Standard than forking over the extra 500 for a Custom 24. Despite the upgrade in workmanship.

// 7

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: Smokinjoerules1, on february 07, 2011

Purchased from: Bad Dog Music

Features: I will spare you the finer details of this guitar as the reviewers above me have already covered that to a tee. The finish is actually questionable, when I saw photos of it, it looked a lot brighter than it actually is (usually guitars are true to their photos). So you can imagine my initial thoughts when the guy at the store unpacked it for me and I saw that it was in fact much duller than the photo suggested. You have to catch it in the right light for the finish to look bright. The control knobs work fine on it and the pick-up configuration is fine. You also get a free gig bag with it which is handy. // 7

Sound: The sound that this guitar gives off when put through a good amp (Line 6 Spider Valve III) is actually very good quality. You can play anything from heavy metal such as Disturbed and Metallica on it, to blues/rock type of music like Joe Bonamassa and AC/DC. The pick-ups make no sound whatsoever when not playing and the guitar sounds great in all pick up ranges and tone varieties. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar appears to have been set up fine at the factory, the action is low, the finish was undamaged and the guitar didn't appear to have any immediate flaws at first glance. The finish is spotless (despite being duller than first thought) if you're going to buy this in blue, get the other blue variation other than whale blue. See next section for more details. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This section is when the guitar lets itself down... considerably. At first the guitar's tuning seemed fine... for about a month, until I started to notice that whenever I tightened (or loosened) the higher end strings, the tuners would often make a slight ping sound and knock that string more notches out of tune than I wanted. After it makes the pinging sound once it's fine, because the tuner has been loosened enough then and you could go up and down with that strings tuning as much as you wanted without a hiccup. Also, on the high end strings, one bigger bend than usual or even a simple USE of the tremolo bar knocks it out of tune. I now no longer use the tremolo bar at all, although just wiggling it slightly to get a nice bluesy stevie ray vaughan-like vibrato out of it is fine. The above points don't happen all the time, but enough to annoy you. But like I say during a playing session, when the guitar does it once, it usually doesn't do it again for a while ( an hour?) But I would NEVER take this guitar to play live without a back-up, my 130 4 year old Ibanez GAX30 holds tuning better and to me, if a guitar can't hold tuning properly than its value is instantly knocked right down. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall dispite the downers, this guitar is pretty good, not quite as good a value for money as I'd like, but that's life. I've been playing for over 4 years now and this guitar is suited to me in terms of shape, action and sound. I it were stolen, then yes, I would be quite upset because I bought it myself (I'm only 18). There isn't really anything on this guitar that stands-out more than any of its other features (other than bad tuning stability). I was originally going to get the less expensive Epiphone Prophecy SG for 349 which had a tune-a-matic bridge and grover tuners! But due to travelling issues I was unable to buy it. It has now been more than two years since I purchased it and it hasnt changed since then in sound or reliability. Overall a pretty good guitar, although for the reasons stated, I wouldn't actually recommend it. // 7

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: prscustomse24, on march 09, 2010

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I don't know what year it was made, it was made in Korea. It has 24 frets with a thin neck. The body is double cutaway and mahogany with a rosewood neck. It has a tremolo also. The pick ups are passive. There is a volume knob and tone knob with three way pick up selector. If you buy it on the computer it comes with a gig bag buy I bought a case from guitar center. // 9

Sound: For what I play it sounds great. (I play anything from some worship music to even sreemo(which I don't really like). It is not as bright as a strat...it has humbuckers, but not near as heavy as the les paul I play. For me though I love it. At the moment I don't play through an amp, I have a Pod X3 Live that I play straight through a pa system. I tipically use the neck pickup because I like warm tone it has. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not changed a thing about the action... I like it really close the fret board. Oh, I did change one thing... It came with four springs in the tremolo system and I put the fifth one in. The finish is amazing there are no places where they "didn't color in the lines" the binding is perfect too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I guess it has good durability but I haven't dropped it yet and don't plan too. The stap buttons that came with it are big with big threads but I did, like everyone should, put strap locks on it. I will depend on it, I mean there is always a chance something will not work but I trust it... It's a Paul Reed Smith quality guitar! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I love it, if it were stolen or lost I would buy the single cut version just because I like the look. I compared this with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter omen. I didn't pick the omen because 1 it's a shecter 2 I don't like the neck 3 it's cheap and 4 don't like the tone. I didn't got the les paul because 1 too heavy 2 don't like the thick neck and 3 well, I just don't like it as much. Finally I'm sorry about my spelling. // 10

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2011

Features: Made in Korea, don't know what year. 22 mid-jumbo frets on a rosewood frtbrd. Mahogany neck and body. 25" scale, two humbuckers and a master tone and volume. Mine had the tremolo version, which I blocked off like one would on a strat, because it does not hold tuning at all if you use the trem. Came with a nice soft gig bag. // 10

Sound: This is a really great sounding rock axe. It sounds more or less like an SG but a little tinnier and more focused, but with less sustain and fatness. Having said that, although it is in the same ballpark as a Gibson sound-wise, it has its own character that is all PRS. The pickups aren't the hottest but have great character, clean up very well if you back off the volume, but get really nice overdriven or distorted tone. This is a very versatile axe you can play pretty much anything on, but it really excells at fullblown rock with high gain. Perhaps for modern metal the Bridge pup might be too muddy, but for classic 70s and 80s metal it is perfect. Not to mention softer rock styles. The neck pup with tone rolled back gives you instant Santana for example. Many have said you should replace the pups on an SE, but I don't agree. I was about to myself, as I wasn't totally content with my tone using a Fender 100W amp and Boss overdrive/distortion pedal combined with the amp's dirty channel. The sound was too muddy for hardrock. But I got a Boss 7-band EQ instead and that hit the spot. With boosted bass and treble it cleaned up all the mud and allowed the guitar to cut directly through the mix. And since I already get more than enough gain and I don't need a hotter pickup, I can't see exactly what a new pup would do for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I set up my guitars myself so I don't comment on factory setups. Once I slapped on 11s, it got the tone I crave with low action and a slight buzz but nothing that comes through the amp. I blocked off the trem, now it is flush with the body. This is supposedly unorthodox but I still get perfect intonation and action. However, the nut slots aren't cut wide enough for 11s so you might have to sand them open a tad. Standard stuff really. As for the finish, absolutely perfect. Can't find a blemish on the entire guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for years now and it has acquired a few dings along the way, but is solid as a rock just the same. The only issue I had was with tuning because the strings were bindign at the nut. I fixed that with sandpaper and a little graphite and now it doesn't have any problems. I trust this live as much as any other guitar I've had. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues, jazz and a wide range of rock. This guitar covers all those styles and if I could only have one guitar, this would be a fine choice. I've been playing +15 years and have another four guitars, one electric hollowbody among them which is my backup for everything but hard rock and metal. I'm considering getting another SE as a backup for all styles. This is a total keeper. If you're considering a Gibson Studio model, don't. Go for an SE instead, they are much better. I do have one big complaint though, one that has made me consider switching to Gibson. I can't see why PRS doesn't make a decent stoptail Bridge for the gauge of strings I use. The Standard stoptail is only intonatable for 9s and 10s. You can buy a tonepros fully intonatable one, but that rides too high for action as low as I like it. Therefore a player like me is forced to use a trem version even though he does not use the whammy. I blocked off the trem and it works as well as a blocked off Strat would, perfect actually. But I'm sure I could get more sustain and a woodier tone if this used a fully intonatable stoptail. For all his vision, Paul Reed Smith really overlooked this gaping detail that many guitarists complain about. It's still a great guitar though. // 9

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: piranhakeet, on june 03, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: 2010 PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary model, navy blue. Made in Korea. Wide thin 24-fret mahogany neck with faux-pearl bird inlays, mahogany body with quilted maple top. Trem bridge, HH pickup config with three-position switch. Be great if they offered a 5-way rotary pickup selector, but simple is good. // 9

Sound: Ridiculous tone and sustain at this price point, just really outstanding. The guitar projects very well accoustically, and loves tube amps for sure. Screams at high gain and cleans up beautifully - it has a really nice, versatile tonal character too, with plenty of room to express yourself. Electronics are rock solid, and volume and tone controls are very smooth. Very impressive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Great build quality on these. I bought one of the first Santana SE's manufactured, and have always been a fan of the SE line. I was expecting good things, but was pleasantly surprised. The folks in Korea have clearly upped their game, and it's a joy to behold. This guitar is absolutely gorgeous, and playability is amazing. I cannot find a single flaw, and although I'll always tweak a setup, I have no plans to significantly modify this guitar, which for me says a lot. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very solid construction - all of the joints are tight, finishing is outstanding, although the PRS headstock design is prone to chipping in my experience. Hardware is fine, including the tuners. I always install strap locks, but the SE strap buttons are actually pretty good. All that being said, never gig w/o a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Highly recommended for just about any music style - I play a little bit of everything--but more a rock axe than a twanger. The neck alone is worth the price of the guitar, but everything else excels as well. Just a really pleasant surprise, exceeded all expectations. You could easily pay $1500 and not get a better guitar. Do yourself a favor and take this one for a spin. // 10

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: andy474x, on june 30, 2011

Features: I have the 25th Anniversary in Vintage yellow, with a stunner quilt top if I do say so myself. The SE Custom 24 follows the traditional SE Custom format, with 2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, 1 vol, 1 tone, non-locking tuners, PRS trem, mahogany body with a maple cap and figured veneer. However, this SE model has a maple neck, rather than mahogany. The neck is a wide-thin carve, which, though obviously thinner, I find very similar in feel to the wide-fat. Also, in comparison to many SE models, the heel on the neck joint is considerably shorter, which provides better access to the upper frets. All 2010 and on SE's feature the old-school birds, which I think is a very classy touch. It's also worth noting that all SE Custom 24 models, as far as I know, are identical in every way except for the finish and aesthetics. Part of me wishes there was a coil tap option on this guitar, but the pickups and electronics are of such good quality that the tones you can get via the simple layout sound great and fit well in almost any mix. Also, these guitars come with a very nice PRS gigbag. // 9

Sound: I play this amp through an Egnater Tweaker head, modded out Valve Jr. Head, and a variety of pedals, mostly Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde and EH Holy Grail. My style is rooted in modern and classic rock, blues, and alternative. I own an SE Custom 22 hardtail, which I love, and mainly bought this guitar because I wanted a trem and extended fret access for instrumental stuff (Vai, etc). The SE 24 is notably brighter than the 22 fret model, probably because of the maple neck, and the closer proximity of the pickups to each other due to the longer fretboard. If you're used to a warmer sound, this guitar can be a little harsh at first, but increasing the bass on your amp produces a very full, punchy, and defined tone. I really grew to like the sound because it has a great bass presence without being muddy. It definitely has the hot, agressive blues/rock tone that PRS artists like Davy Knowles are known for. The clean tones from this thing really surprised me, they have a lot of sparkle that you wouldn't get out of other humbucker guitars. Sounds fantastic with a Fender style clean tone w/reverb. The neck pickup is much less muddy than on 22 fret guitars, I assume because it's relatively closer to the bridge. The middle position is especially nice, it's very reminiscent of an in-between Strat tone. The Bridge has the classic mid emphasis, great for overdrive. With a higher gain setting, this guitar puts out great rhythm and lead tones in all positions, with lots of definition and punch. In addition to being bright, the pickups are also fairly hot, so they overdrive an amp easily. Lacking the fancy switching of the USA PRS models, the overall range of tones is more limited, but they all sound fantastic and fit well in many situations. The one thing that it does seem to lack is a warm blues tone, on my 22 I can get a warm, 335-ish sound from the neck pickup, but this axe is just a little too bright to pull that off. Obviously the pickups don't sound quite as good as the USA models either, but they're by no means bad and I think you'd have to drop some serious coin to improve them. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar really surprised me. I bought my 22 used, and the setup was less than ideal to say the least. I half expected a long "break in" period on this guitar, but was pleased to find it almost perfect. It came stock with 9's, and the action is unbelievably smooth, no dead spots or buzzy frets. The nut is set up at a good height (which was a real problem on my 22). I haven't had to touch the truss rod once, and the trem was in perfect balance also. I did need to adjust the saddles for intonation, but that's a small thing, and for string height, but that was totally my own preference. Finding a setup this good at this price point is almost unheard of these days. I've since found out that all SE models are sent to the Maryland PRS shop and personally QC checked and set up by a PRS employee, so I guess it's not as surprising knowing that. All the other hardware is great, the knobs are smooth and have a good taper (signs of good pots) and the Switch is solid. The tuners are very nice as well, don't listen to anyone that says you need locking tuners on this guitar, simply not true. I put them on my 22 and it didn't make a lick of difference. This guitar will give you tuning problems in some cases, but the nut is the culprit, not tuners. It's set up for 9's, so if you go bigger, the string slots aren't wide enough and the strings stick, which causes intonation problems with bends and trem use. I've found that using some graphite lube, filing the nut for your string size, and WORKING THE TREM WHILE TUNING really settles the intonation in well. It's probably not the ideal, but it's really easy to work around the intonation issues if you know what you're doing. The finish is also quite nice, glossy but doesn't look too thick. The birds are unfortunately just a plain, white material, rather than abalone, etc., but they still look nice, definitely an upgrade from the Dot style. On the neck, there are no rough fret ends, the tangs seem to be recessed into the fretboard slightly. I did notice a little bit of finish inconsistency down the seam where the fretboard meets the neck, but they're like tiny surface drip marks, in all honesty I'm surprised I noticed it in the first place. Overall, nearly flawless in this category. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This axe hasn't seen as much action as my other guitars, but going off my experience with my SE 22, which has seen several gigs, this thing should stand up to plenty. The construction seems very similar, and I've never had a reliability problem with either PRS. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this guitar is a real winner. Most importantly, it sounds and plays great. It's not perfect, but I can be pretty particular about my gear and there's nothing about it that bothers me much. I could go for a better nut that makes tuning easier, and it would be great to see some coil tap options on the SE line, but I won't lose sleep over it. It might not be the perfect guitar for everyone, and that's OK - the Schecters and high end Epiphones are probably in the same category. But for me, I know it's everything I need, and it's a quality instrument with a good company standing behind it, that's why I stick with PRS. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". // 9

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: RNFR95, on october 05, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: - Made in Korea - Flat flamed maple top - Mahogany body - Maple neck - Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays - 24 frets (obviously) - PRS designed tuners, bridge, and pickups - 1 volume, 1 tone, and 3 way switch - Mine has an Orange finish // 10

Sound: I play hard rock, heavy metal, pop-punk, and some blues. This guitar is great for all of those styles and more. I usually play it through my Marshall MG100HFX half stack and it sounds amazing. The neck pickup produces really rich sounds, and the bridge pickup sounds amazing with some distortion. You can get pretty much any sound you want out of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came out of the box ready to play. The neck feels great; it's slightly thinner than what I'm used to, but it is also easier to wrap your hands around. I was pretty much a Les Paul only guy, but that's all changing because of this PRS. It came with D'Addario strings from the factory, but I put some Ernie Ball .10s on it. It feels even better now. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand anything I throw at it, although I am a little afraid to play it too hard because it looks so gorgeous. It does go out of tune if you use the tremolo too much, but that's not a surprise. I will put some locking tuners on it eventually to help fix that. I will absolutely use this at a gig, but I would have a backup because of the tremolo. Then again, I always have a backup guitar anyway. // 9

Overall Impression: I have no complaints about this guitar. It perfectly suits my needs/wants, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've heard that guitars from Korea are crappy. In this case, that is totally not true. This guitar can hold its ground against any other. The only thing that can pass this up is the U.S. Made Custom 24. If this guitar were stolen, I would track down who took it, and beat them to death with a shovel. I absolutely love this guitar. It is my new #1. But don't just take my word for it. Try one out! // 10

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: ibanezboy:), on october 11, 2012

Price paid: C$ 729

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: So this is the new 2012 model, made in Korea. She's got 24 frets, 24" scale length, pretty thin fast neck overall. For woods, the wood in the neck is maple. Fretboard is rosewood, the top wood is maple, and the back wood is mahogany. She's got a beauty flame maple veneer, tobacco burst finish, looks real sharp. Body shape is Paul's own shape, he wanted something between a Les Paul and a Strat, ended up with this. The bridge is a PRS designed trem. It's got a pair of passive pups, PRS SE HSF treble and PRS SE Vintage bass. There is a volume and a tone pot, and the tone pot pops out for coil splitting. The tuners are PRS designed tuners, they are alright but not as good as the ones you would get on the Maryland Custom 24. She came with a PRS SE gig bag, wouldn't really trust it, and the trem arm, and a shotty patch cord. // 7

Sound: I like to play classic rock, prog rock, alternative, and a bit of shredish stuff. This guitar is great for it, the PRS pickups have a pretty solid tone, they clean up real nice when you roll the volume, and you can get a nice twang when ya coil split for some funk/country stuff. I am running this guy into my ME-25 multi effects, and then into my Vox AC-30. The humbuckers are a bit hot, there is a a noticeable volume difference when going from humbuckers to coil tapped. Its a given but when coil tapped there is a bit more hum. It's got a nice full sound, the mahogany and maple give it a nice richness to it. The guitar can play a lot of different stuff, with the 24 frets and thin neck its great for some Vai/Petrucci esque stuff, at the same time the pickups aren't really meant to handle super high gain, so if you are into metal keep that in mind. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The out of the box setup was surprisingly pretty good. There was a bit more relief in the neck then I would like, but that can be adjusted. No fret buz, pretty low action. Pickups are at a nice spot, don't know if I wanna mess with that. As far as I have seen there are no out of the box flaws, only thing I noticed is that the tone pot seems a bit flimsy, and the nut sticks out a bit on the sides, but that can be sanded down. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will do well with live playing, even though it isn't a Maryland, it's built quite well. The hardware is quite solid, again might want to switch the tuners for locking with the trem and all. Strap buttons are solid, threw straplocks on just cause they aren't the biggest. This is a dependable guitar, I wouldn't play a gig without a backup, that's silly, but I wouldn't be worried about anything breaking down, built quite solidly. The finish is really good, PRS really goes all out on their finishes, of course over time there will be wear but for the most part it should last. // 7

Overall Impression: For the music I play, Rock/Alternative this guitar is great. It's got a great clean tone, and can handle a moderate amount of gain. I've been playing about 6 years, my other axe is a lower end Ibanez, she's lasted pretty well though. If this guitar was stolen/lost, I would probably track down whoever stole it, and hit them with my Ibanez. I would for sure buy it again, it's a killer guitar for the money. I love the spectrum of sounds that can come out of this guitar. I dislike the gig bag it came with, thumbs down on that one. Favourite feature is the coil splitting, just adds a lot more area tonally that this guitar can go. Only other guitars I really compared this to was some Ibanez's and other PRS, chose this one simply cause it had everything I wanted, fast neck, solid timber, and decent pups. Wish it had the standard PRS tuners, they are a lot better. // 8

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: steve_121, on july 31, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar village

Features: PRS made in Korea, 24 fret, two PRS SE humbuckers with a coil tap on each. "4 frets, mahogany body and neck. Nitro finish and clear on top to show off the spalted Maple which is an awesome example with perfect book-matching. A three way switch modelled on the Fender 5-way and a single volume and tone control. The body has a contoured top and a cut away with an additional scoop to aide access to the upper frets. A PRS tremolo with a push in bar. Comes with the PRS gig bag which is high quality with a good sized front pocket for extras. Case candy includes tools for adjustment, and set up is with .10's // 10

Sound: I actually own a couple of the PRS SE Custom 24's and I've tried them next to the US made 24's. Each instrument sounds different, based on the wood and the pickup set up. I've one SE that overdrives naturally when turned up full and this one - the spalted maple is clean all the way. The flexibility comes from the ability to use the three way switch and also flick from humbucker to single coil. So it's hard to find something this guitar won't do. The action is easy and the neck suits me to a tee. It's wide and thin, with good clearance at the edges for bends and vibrato with the fretting hand. If you like the rounded Fender D necks this isn't for you, but if you like the Fender C shape or the Gibson '60s slim neck this is great. The sound is clean and sweet and the tone control doesn't mess with the bass/treble mix as it does on some guitars. The electronics are silent - even with the coil tap. An awesome guitar for the money. The US 24's have a bit more clarity and sustain, but that comes for an extra 2k. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The SE's I've had were all set up to perfection. I notice after a weeks play I've had to adjust one string at the bridge but after that it is incredibly stable. The action is light and allows the full range of techniques with no strain or effort. Beautiful to play. The bookmatching was perfect - there are minute variations across each individual guitar so it's worth a close look - but that's just as true of any guitar I've ever looked at. Build quality is excellent. Nothing else to say on that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like all PRS a solid piece of guitar. It is sturdy and takes the knocks well. It doesn't have locking tuners so when it's moved in the gig bag you just need to check the tuning before you play. It keeps tune well even when you really go for it and it doesn't detune even when you are really vicious with the tremolo. The switches have a good positive action, not as stiff as fenders, but stiff enough that you feel the click so you can easily switch during a song. Everything about this guitar is quality - for the price I cannot quiet believe they can make this, particularly when I compare it to other guitars at this price. I actually bought this over a Les Paul at 4 times the price for looks, sound and the attention to detail that screams from the electronics. // 9

Overall Impression: For a "student" guitar this is awesome. The versatility is amazing, and the build quality epic. PRS make and license their partners to make beautiful guitars - but that is not at the expense of the sound. The Custom 24 is made to be versatile and it is. If it was stolen - well I've already got another so that must tell you something. The only extra I'd want is the ability to coil tap each humbucker individually - but the Gibsons and PRS that allow that are way more expensive. I'd definitely recommend trying a few side by side, this one is clean an sweet, my other overdrives earlier and has a warm tone that really suites heavier rock. I play them through Mesa Boogie and Fender amps - and they stack up well against my other more expensive guitars. You will regret not trying one. // 9

SE Custom 24 Reviewed by: maddog61, on june 17, 2014

Features: I got this piece of wonder a few months ago, right around Christmas(an appropriate gift to myself, I'd say). From my research, it was made in 2010 in Korea. Although this means it's a 25th anniversary edition, I'm not really sure how it's different from the other models. Oh well. Anyway, it's pretty good-looking, with a blood-red quilted maple top over a mahogany body. It's got the normal PRS body shape, kinda Stratty and Les Paul-esque at the same time. The neck is of the wide-thin variety, which I have to come to enjoy quite a bit. The bridge is PRS' tremolo system, which is kinda like the Strat's, but it stays in tune a bit better. The pickups are both PRS' own design, I believe the neck is an SE Vintage Bass and the bridge is a SE HFS Vintage Treble. These are controlled via a humble setup; a three-way toggle, one master volume, and one master tone. Unfortunately, I think the newer models have coil-tap and a bit of a carve to the top, but, hey, I'm happy! // 9

Sound: I play mostly '80s rock and metal (Van Halen, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden) and newer stuff (Shinedown, Foo Fighters). For my purposes, this guitar does quite well. I use it with a Peavey Ultra 112, no pedals or anything else. I like the bridge pickup a lot, since it has a good deal of bite to it, great for nice leads. Together, they sound nice and full. The neck pickup is nice, a bit beefier than the bridge, but it can get a bit muddy. On clean, they also sound quite impressive. My favorite is rolling the tone down to about half in the middle position, and I can get almost an acoustic sound. However, if you use the bridge pickup by itself on clean, it can get a little shrieky. Overall, though, it has a nice blend of tones which are easily accessed through the master knobs. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, since I got the guitar second-hand, I can't really say anything on how it came from the factory. How I got it was in a pretty well-set-up condition. The action was nice and low, but I decided to raise the pickups a bit. The top is pretty well bookmatched. The trem system was all routed correctly, no problems there. However, the problems appear up at the headstock. It'll go out of tune with just regular playing, not to mention using the tremolo or bending. This is probably due to the tuners, which aren't of great quality, and the nut, which is a common issue. However, aside from those problems, it's put together pretty well, everything feels pretty solid. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Although I have yet to gig with it live, I think it would handle pretty well, aside from the tuning issues. The strap buttons are pretty wide, and I don't think they'll fail me anytime soon (although I've had to fix one of the holes). The finish also seems pretty thick and well-applied, so I'd be surprised if it wore off anytime soon. As to gigging without a backup, I wouldn't, just due to the fact that I like being prepared for the worst, which usually happens(probably just my bad luck). But I wouldn't be all that scared if this was the only guitar I had on hand. // 9

Overall Impression: For hard rock/borderline metal, this axe will put on a good show. It's pretty reliable, and it's very comfortable to play. It's got a nice contour for when you're standing, so it doesn't dig in. The wide-flat neck also scores comfort points, at least in my opinion. My favorite feature about this guitar is probably the neck. It's very comfortable. By far however, my least favorite aspect is the tuning issues. They can be a real hassle, and they are often frequent. If it were stolen or was damaged beyond repair, I would buy another PRS at least. I'd probably go for a newer edition, since they have the coil-tapping. Overall, though, I'm pretty impressed with this guitar. It's a solid all-around intermediate instrument. // 8

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review