SE EG Review

9.5
 9.1
reviews (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
SE EG Reviewed by: nicktripp2k, on june 18, 2005

Features: The SE EG is a solid mahogany guitar with a glued-in mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. It features a 3-ply pickguard with 3 custom single coil pickups and a 5-way blade pickup selector. The SE EG is available in Antique White with a tortoise shell pickguard, Metallic Red with a white pickguard and Metallic Blue with white pickguard. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of blues and classic rock, and I had to pick this guitars soud and feel over that of a Mexican or American Strat, for any music you have great quality sound, through my Marshall I find it's a little hotter than that of a Fender and still has that classic single coil bite. People have put down the middle pickup, but it's my favourite in distortion, the bridge pu has great bite, and the neck pickup with the tone rolled back gets nicely womany. My only problem is with the tone knob, that stops having much variation past 6. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was perfect, and the PU were a little better than what I'd expect from Korean manufacturers, the finish is nice and even and I couldn't find any flaws, the edges of the nut could have used rounding off but I'm not going to complain. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 3 yearsand this guitar is exactly what I wanted, the entire SE line are great guitars for under 800 bucks, I used to think I'd never like asian guitars but this has changed my mind, I had originally planned to get the S/S/H model but none were in stock. The only problem I could have with this guitar would be the hideous white model. // 10

SE EG Reviewed by: Blackice228, on december 06, 2010

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: The PRS SE EG is a Korean guitar, currently discontinued, but if you can find one, I would strongly suggest it. I bought mine in 2008, and its the version with S/S/H configuration, and a PRS Tremolo. Features solid top a mahogany body, and glued in neck, and pick guard. It has a typical Strat body, and dark sunburst finish, which i must say, looks great. The PRS Tremolo looks like your typical strat, but floats about 0.6 cm of the body, so you can bring it up, or down, like a floyd rose, but without the tuning and intonation issues I've seen on some. Of course, you can't dive bomb like you can with a floyd rose, but this isn't a metal guitar, its anything but! From what I've seen, the PRS tremolo is the smoothest tremolo i've every tried. Its got volume and tone knobs, and 5 way pick selector thats pretty solid. Standard non-locking PRS tuning knobs, nothing special, but they've given me no problems. Of course, you get a PRS gig bag, truss adjustment key, tremolo arm, and extra spings, the usual. I couldn't ask for anything more. The version I own, (S/S/H), features two Standard single coils, and one hot humbucker. I love it. // 10

Sound: This guitar can really do anything, but metal. Blues, classic rock, punk, hard rock, pop, etc. I use a Line 6 Spider III 30, and with the single coil, I can get a light, clean tone, good for Beatles, some zeppelin, and lots of fuzz from the humbucker. With distortion, you can get a nice crunch, to some really insane squealing pitch overtones. The humbucker in it is HOT! I wouldn't say it can to metal, simply because its such a light guitar, but you can get some really brutal distortion. The idea of fitting a PRS with this configuration was genius, giving you that clean Santana sound from the neck pickup, and brutal distortion from the bridge. Mind you, i'm using the Insane setting on my Line 6. My only complain, is that when the pickup selector isn't in 2nd or 5th position, you get a horrible amount of fuzz. I only ever use 2nd or fifth position, but that is really annoying. Maybe its my amp, who knows. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The fret board on this guitar is rose wood, and its really smooth. The neck is alot thicker then a strat, making fast playing more difficult, but if your a shedder, you wouldn't be buying this anyways. I suppose its somewhere between a Les Paul and Strat neck. Over the last years, its worn down somewhat, but nothing out of the ordinary.The pickups are solid and unmovable. The humbucker is a bit loose, but thats because it doesn't hug the pickguard like the single coils. The finish is beautiful, and I love how the natural wood grain shines through the black sunburst. Its decently scratch resistant, but it has collected a decent number over the last few years. The glued in neck is flawless, and looks like one piece. I've never liked bolt on neck, so this is perfect for me. The finish on the back of the neck is nicely done to. I would have liked for detailed fretboard inlays, but the half moons are nice, and it isn't the most expensive guitar. The pick up selector is abit noisy, but its soild, which is nice. My only complaint is that rust has started to form on the bridge, probably from sweat when palm muting. I'm gonna see if I can get it off, but its abit annoying that thats happened after only two years. The overall build is tight, and sturdy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would never consider bringing a backup to a live show. This guitars never failed me, and I am really confident it will last. Its a SE model, so I'm not expecting it to be worth millions anytime soon, but I've confident it will last a while. It hasn't needed a repair so far. I can see the fret board thinning in the next 15 years, but the body and neck finish is untouchable. The hardware, same story, dependable. On my old Yamaha, you'd have to tighten the strap knobs once a week, but these ones are perfect and unmovable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Zeppelin, Metallica, White Stripes, Green Day, Blues, you name it, and this guitar does it all. If your looking at doing Drop C tuning with gauge 13 strings, its not for you, but for what I play, its awesome. From punky power chords, to Zeppelin solos, bluesy slide guitar, its does it all, and I love it. I have a Yamaha ERG121, which was crap, and this is a huge improvement to that. I paid $5oo for it, but it'll beat any Strat or Les Paul anyday. I love the neck, the finish, the look, the action, the pickups, everything. I've been playing for about 5 years, and am not really in the position to lay down $3000 for a American PRS, and this is defiantly a wonderful budget guitar. It it was stolen, or lost (how do you lose a guitar anyways?), I would buy this guitar again, if I could find it and another PRS didn't interest me. Its a hard guitar to find, nevermind the S/S/H version. My favourite feature is either the PRS Tremolo, or the mean humbucker. The tremolo is nicely cut, feels good when palm muting, and can be pent back and forth like a floyd rose, with out the annoyances of one. The humbucker like I've mentioned a billion times before is HOT! I love its tone. The hum when not in 2nd and 5th position is really annoying, and so is the rust on the bridge. I looked at alot of Strats when bought this, and its lighter, and has a humbucker, (that the strats there didn't) has a nicer finish, and I love the way the headstock looks. What really turned me off from buying a strat, is that it seems like everyone nowadays has one. They're way to common, and I wanted something unique. I'll probably never meet anyone else with this guitar in my lifetime, and I love that. What really caught my eye, is the look. Its really a beautiful guitar. I guess it could use a second tone knob, but i'd probably never use it anyways. // 9

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review