SE Mikael Akerfeldt Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 04/02/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: SE Mikael Akerfeldt
As for the quality of the features the truss rod on this guitar is amazing! It never lost tuning on me even on those crazy dive bombs. The sound is great for Opeth but does feel lacking in something.
review (1) pictures (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
SE Mikael Akerfeldt Reviewed by: Corey.Knight, on april 02, 2012

Price paid: C$ 679.99

Purchased from: Long N McQuade

Features: Comes with the follwoing: - BODY: Maple with Flame Maple Veneer - Back: Mahogany - Extras:Opeth "O" Logo - NECK: 24 Jumbo Frets - Scale Length 25" - Neck Wood Maple - Fretboard Wood Ebony - Neck Shape Wide Fat - Fretboard Inlays Birds - HARDWARE/ELECTRONICS are all PRS designed - Treble Pickup - PRS Designed SE HFS Treble - Bass Pickup - PRS Designed SE Vintage Bass As for the quality of the features the truss rod on this guitar is amazing! It never lost tuning on me even on those crazy dive bombs. // 10

Sound: I play many genres but this guitar I left for blues and metal (and of course Opeth). For the Opeth tracks this guitar stayed true to the Mikael's tone. That being said when I used it for anything other than Opeth's works I found the tone to be lacking. Particularly the SE Vintage bass pickup didn't do it for me. The tone seemed to be a cross between what you would expect from a PRS (somewhere between a LP and Strat) and a mock-up Vintage LP. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and finish were beautiful. The guitar is something nice to look at with its clean and mellow finish. The neck was just the right size for that classic rock and blues playability and had much of the finish worn down so that it felt very smooth. This guitar was excellent just out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I never did a gig with this particular guitar but it is one of the few I leave lying around. It hasn't had any problems, even with the constant changes in temperature and humidity. The finish seemes very clean and well done so I never really worried about it. It wasn't too expensive either so for the price and quality of this guitar I was very impressed. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing electric guitar for only 7 years now and have been lucky to have many guitars. This was one of my favourites. The only other guitar along similar lines as this model which I prefer is my PRS 245 which was of a similar price point. If you are not an Opeth enthusiast then I would highly recommend the 245 over this model as it is superior in most other regards. The sound is great for Opeth but does feel lacking in something. // 8

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review