SE One Review

8.3
reviews (2) pictures (6) 14 comments vote for this gear:
SE One Reviewed by: metalhead1054, on july 11, 2011

Purchased from: K+B Music

Features: My PRS SE One was made in Korea like most cheaper model guitars with the year unknown. It has 22 Jumbo Frets, and has a neck scale length of 25 inches. I believe it is a solid top guitar. It is made of a Mahogany body and neck with a Rosewood fretboard. My model is Vintage Cherry coloured, with transparent finish. The body style is, of course, the PRS SE design which is similar to the Gibson Les Paul and the Bridge is a Standard PRS designed stoptail. It uses a Passive Soapbar pickup, and only features a Volume knob, there is no selector for a one pickup guitar. The tuners are also PRS Designed so the is hardly any third party presence in this guitar. It also came with a very sturdy gig bag, this bag features comfortable straps, organizer inside pocket, and a hook to hang on a rack during airline travel. This guitar is also dicontinued, however I cannot specify the year it was. The list price was $610. // 8

Sound: It has an overall good sound, but I do not suggest using it with anything that sounds like metalcore or death metal. It suits my music style which is a Bullet For My Valentine crossed with Hinder sound, so basically a Pop/Metal sound. I've only used the following with this guitar. Marshall MG30FX Combo (Decent), Fender 15G Combo (Good) and a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal (Decent). It is noisy depending on how much treble you have your EQs set on, it is much better with a lower treble given that the only pickup is next to the bridge. It gives a more rich sound in my opinion and is not as flexible on musical variety as its $2000 conterparts. I do suggest that if you get this that you go no more heavy than Metallica, because after that, it is not so good. However this guitar is perfect for any Clean riffs. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The Factory set-up is just excellent, but I changed strings as soon as I got it home. The Pickup is very well adjusted. Earlier in my review, I critized the pickup for it's treble response, but even more so, it surprisingly holds its own during playing. The Top and the Bridge are properly, and worked out very well. The action of the guitar (the distance between the fretboard and the strings) is very Standard to other guitars, but if you want to do more arppegios or tapping, or such as, you may want to lower it upon string change. The guitar had no flaws however the guitar strings were very corroded from its shelf life. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has proven itself to me that it can withstand live playing during an Outdoor, Forth of July Gig, and the hardware, where it's probably not favorable, would last quite a long time. If it is bought brand new, "new" defined as been sitting on a shelf since 2010 and not leaving until Mid June 2011, the strap buttons should last until the guitars last days in about 30-50 years. I would use this guitar in a gig without backup considering that I was playing anything from the 1960's to the lighter sutff of the early 2000's. The finish is a Standard for most guitar so judge that as you will. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it is a decent guitar for me given my musical genre but would be better with guitarists how tend to play older songs. I've been playing for 4 years now and I happen to own a Scheter C-1 Shedevil. If I could I would have asked how the playability matches that of other similar guitar companies. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy a more expensive guitar such another PRS or Gibson or Schecter. I love the sleek design and classic look the guitar has, but I hate how the guitar craps out when it plays my style of music. My Favorite feature is the PRS Headstock because I for some reason am very fanatical about the headstock. I wish it had two pickups, but at least it's very good for a cheaper model, unlike Ibanez in which their cheaper models are completely made of crap. // 9

SE One Reviewed by: CurryPasta, on may 03, 2012

Features: This guitar is Red and made as a A Mahogany Body and Neck with an Indian Rosewood Fingerboard. It only has one Soapbar passive pickup and a lonely little Volume knob. Made in Korea in I believe 2010, and has 22 jumbo frets. And to top it off the standard PRS Tuners and the PRS bridge. It did indeed come with a very nice PRS SE Gigbag which includes a hanger. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly considering that it has an amazing clean tone and is perfect for my genre. (Modern Prog Rock and Opeth) I'm using a standard Marshall Combo amp for a small room setting, however I'm not using any effects except for the pre-built ones. It is somewhat noisy and somewhat not, of course on my high gain channel it has a lot of static, but I don't mind it at all. If anything the sound is more bright because of the fact that the pickup is close to the bridge. Variety? Well I can bend, hammer, pull off, tap, etc. on it but that's pretty obvious. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was really nice, unfortunately it was on the shelf for some time because I was playing it in the store and the strings were dull. The Pickup was perfectly fine, and the action was perfect. Absolutely no flaws whatsoever, except for the strings thing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Easy this one. Very Reliable, and will easily stand live playing. The hardware will last, good strap buttons. I have used it but I don't know about the backup thing. Maybe if it was a small gig. // 9

Overall Impression: Again, I play Progressive Rock and Opeth style stuff. I have been playing for 4 and 1/2 years now, and I also own a Schecter and a Fender, all three I love equally. I don't have regrets, now, about owning this guitar. I think it's perfectly well suited for me. I love everything about it except for the fact that it is no longer made. Favorite feature: the contour on the neck. And anything I wish it had, well, sometimes I wish it had a simple Tone Knob so I can go from Bright to Mellow. Overall: Great Guitar, worthy investment, good entryway into PRS, perfect for me. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review