SE Paul Allender Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 06/09/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: SE Paul Allender
The Paul Allender SE is a 24 fret guitar with gold hardware and specially wound pickups that were designed for Paul. Paul's PRS guitars can be heard on Cradle Of Filth's album, "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder".
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (12) pictures (6) 58 comments vote for this gear:
SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2009

Features: First of all, I have never listened to Cradle Of Filth and really don't know much about it. Anyway, got this for Christmas last year. No complaints out of the box. A little tuning and it was almost perfect. My guitar guy gave it a once over and now it is Stellar! Stays is tune really well. // 9

Sound: Pups are a bit bright. I play through an MG 100 stack and with good distortion I can get really close to early Metallica (Kill 'Em All). Good sustain and the clean is unbeleiveable! Beautiful sound. The Tone knob works well as it should. The lower you go the warmer the sound gets. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: You can set the action to whatever you want really. I have it set low and there is no buzz and I don't expect any. It hangs really comfertable and is light on your shoulder. Fit's nicely in your lap also. Pictures do not do this guitar justice. The purple is very pretty. It has a binding around the body that looks like dark maple and looks good also. The black and gold hardware really complement the purple. The bats are awesome! They are very detailed and really intricate. The neck is fast, smooth and not too wide. A little thinner (From E string to E String) than the Ibanez Wizard necks, but not as chunky as a Gibson or as frail as a telesacter neck. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played Live but when I pick it up it is always ready to rock. No reason to beleive that it will fall apart any time soon, seems pretty rugged. Strap buttons are good, very thick. It will take some effort to get your strap on or off. Very dependable, not sure I fI would use it with out a back-up cause you never know. Haven't noticed any scratches throught the finish. Sometimes I get carried away but so far so good I guess. Gave it an 8 only because it hasn't really been stage tested. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from Metallica to Willie Nelson. Turn the tone knob and you can get whatever you need. Playing for about 13 years and this is pretty sweet. It is a flat top and the finish is much better than any picture. If it was stolen or lost I would probly get another one. I love everything from the way it looks to all the sounds that I can tweek out of it. The gig bag that it comes with is great. Nice and thick, big straps and a decent pocket for cables, flask or whatever. // 10

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: dennis4rock, on june 26, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Orlando,FL

Features: Made in 2007, in Korea. Has a maple set neck with wide-thin carve, 24 frets, 25"scale lenght. Mahogany back with maple top and quilt maple veneer. The purple burst finish is unique to this signature model. Gold PRS-designed tremolo and sealed non-locking tuners. Volume and tone with three-way toggle pickup selector, and PRS-designed Paul Allender treble and bass humbucking pickups. No accessories were included. // 9

Sound: It really suits my music styles, Hard Rock, and Metal. (with some effects you can even have Blues sound). I use it with a Marshall 30dfx\Line6 Spider3 amp and a Boss GT-10 effect processor. It has a terrific attack clarity, creamy response and rampant sustain. This made clean tones almost too bright on the bridge humbucker but fat and defined throught the neck-positioned 'bucker. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was fairly well set-up. The pickups are a bit loose, but don't affect the sound. The top was properly bookmatched, and bridge properly routed. I would say that the guitar contained flaws. Like the pickup selector always changes directions, at the end I don't know what way is the neck pickup or the bridge pickup. And one tuner seems not stable. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands live playing. It looks like the hardware will last. The strap buttons are solid. I would say that you can depend on it, I do, I use it really often on gigs without a backup. I have it now for 2 years, and the finish is still perfect, like from the store. I think it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Hard Rock, Metal, Heavy Electric Blues, It's a pretty good match with this guitar (of course I use effect pedals, but without them the sound stays cool). I have been playing for 3 years, the other equipment I own is: a Fender Custom Classic Stratocaster, a Gibson 80' Les Paul, a Dommenget 90 custom, a Master Caster 2008 White Zebra. If it were stolen\lost, I would not hesitate buying it again, but because I like changing equipment I won't. There are many things I like about it, the sound, the finish, the inlays, the price... The thing I don't like is that the tuners are non-locking, and the pickup selector is not well placed (behind the whammy bar) it's really unconfortable because every time I want to switch the pickup I hit the whammy. I compared it to many other products like the PRS Santana model, the Ibanez Universe, the Gibson Melody Maker, but I choose this one because it's the best guitar for the price (I think). I wish it had a Floyd-Rose tremolo and locking tuners. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Center-Bridgeton

Features: I Don't Know exactly what year it was made but it was made in Korea. Its a 24 fret guitar with a wide but thin neck for quick playing. The neck is maple with ebony jumbo frets with pearl inlays of bats where the dots would traditionally be. The Body is Mahogany with a Flamed maple veneer top. It has a purple and black quilted finish with a polyurethane coat. It has a Strat like appearance and a tune-o-matic bridge. It possess passive electronics ( I would rather have active) and it has a three way toggle pick-up selector switch as well as a sing tone and volume nob. My guitar still has the stock PRS pick-ups which are good but emgs are better and I'm planning on installing coil taps. The neck pick-up is the bridge pick-up is the rhythm and the neck pick-up is the lead. There are no locking tuners. I give it a 8 because it need emgs and locking tuners but otherwise its amazing. // 8

Sound: It has a great rich/warm sound that is hard to find in most guitars. I play classic rock and thrash metal and this guitar can always meet the mark without question. I generally use a Peavey Valve King 112 and a digitec processor with it as well as other pedals and it sounds great.It pinch harmonics pretty well and it never buzzes. I give it a ten cause I love the sound and you will too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have experimented with the action on this guitar several times and I have not had any trouble at any height with buzzing it can go really low for metal or a little higher for classic rock and no buzzing will occur. When I got the guitar the bridge pick-up was outrageously high but I quickly solved the solution and now it sounds fine. I got the guitar for 400 bucks instead of 900 because it has a crack on the back of the guitar in the finish that is virtually undetectable. I showed it to a professional and he called it a screamin deal and assured me that no further damage was likely to occur. I give it a 9 because of the crack and that's the only reason // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with this guitar but I haven't experienced anything that would cause me to believe that the was unreliable. I replaced the strap buttons with locking ones to ensure maximum protection and I suggest that everyone use them if you care at all about your guitars. I would stand behind this guitar 100 percent of the time. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play classic rock and thrash metal. I have been playing for about 3 years and I own the Paul allender, A Yamaha pacifica, a Raven 60watt solid stated, a Fender front man, Aria pro fretless bass, and a Peavey valve king tube amp (50 watt) that completely dominates when cranked up. If My guitar was stolen I would never stop looking for it and definitely replace it if I couldn't find it cause I love this guitar! I was looking at this guitar two years prior to purchasing it and I regret nothing about purchasing it. I suggest to anyone that is looking into buying a guitar that they go with PRS or nothing cause PRS dominates especially with the Paul Allender. I give it a ten for being amazing thank you for readong. // 10

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2009

Purchased from: Martin Music

Features: I got this a few months after they first came out back in 2007. Its Korean made, and extremely high quality. The neck is what PRS calls a "Wide-Thin", which is pretty much what it is. Mahogany body, with a mahogany neck. Strat style body with a PRS trem, which I don't use because I'm not a tremolo guy. 3 way pickup Switch, custom Paul Allender pickups. Came with a nice PRS padded gig bag, but its in a hardshell case now. // 9

Sound: I never have and never will listen to Cradle Of Filth. This is an amazing guitar anyway. You can play anything on it. I play a lot of blues and classic rock and a bunch of the old Memphis STAX soul hits like "Midnight Hour" and "Knock On Wood". Right now I'm playing through a limited edition "White Lightning" Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Ibanez Turbo Tube Screamer and a Marshall Bluesbreaker. This guitar is nice and quiet, even with lots of gain. Since I play slide in open E tuning, I can get TONS and TONS of sustain from this guitar, and I can get it to sound like derek trucks on the neck pickup or that a electrified harmonica tone from duane allman on the neck pickup. I play with a big mojo medicine bottle slide, and this guitar will SING when that hits the strings! Before I started playing slide, I could and did play everything from jazz to metal on this guitar and it sounded great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was perfect right out of the factory. Action was right where I liked it. I did raise it a bit after a while, just to make it easier for slide. All the hardware is still in great shape. Originally, I had some trouble keeping it in tune when I would use the tremolo, but I just stopped using it because I got tired of the sound. Occasionally it has a bit of trouble going out of tune if you use light strings, but if you use.10s or thicker you'll be fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a PRS. Their craftsmanship is amazing. I've seen flaws in Gibson Custom SHop guitars that the cheapest PRS model won't have. In 2 and a half years of gigging, I've never had a problem. Everything is rock solid and works all the time. I use this guitar all the time without a backup and I've had no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play a lot of blues and soul, and this guitar is great for that, and any other style. I've only been playing for three and a half years, but this is my favorite guitar, out of this, a 1980s japanese Telecaster and a Jimmy Vaughan Strat. If this were stolen, I would definitely buy a replacement. The only thing I wish it had were locking tuners, but they're not really necessary. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: sewoo55, on may 03, 2010

Purchased from: Davis Guitar

Features: I want to tell you that this will be an unbiased review. Made in 2009, Korea. (not that it really matters, unless its China) Mahogany body with maple top (the maple top is so thin it doesn't make a difference in tone) 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, 25 inch scale length maple neck. PRS desinged tremolo bridge and paul allender passive humbucker pickups. 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob and 3-way pickup selector. The purple burst colour is really beautiful and stand out from other guitars. Comments: For those who wanna know how thin the neck is, its not as thin as an Ibanez or an ESP but about the same thickness as an LTD. The hardware isn't 100% gold, its just chrome or nickel plated with gold. Despite having a mahogany body, its relatively light. The fretboard is flat, which is good for shredders but not for rhythm players like me. // 8

Sound: The closest cousin that i can relate the bridge pickup to would be the SeymourDuncan JB. Its got a clear, bright sound. On the clean channel, it was a tad bit too bright for me but some tweaking with the eq settings and tone knob can deal with that. On distortion, the pups really Shine and the high output pups are suited for the stuff i play, and of course cradle of filth stuff. Neck pickup is comparatively warm and good for moody solos. I'm currently playing through a Roland Cube 20X and i can get pretty close to a Lamb of God sound. The pickups sounds distinctively different from one another. And all 3 positions are "usable". Even when i'm in a very high gain metal set-up, the 3 positions are still distinctive from one another. The overall tone of the guitar: high output, heavy, fat, but with a distinctive clarity/brightness. More depth and character than EMG pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't really like the action. Its low, but the strings buzz slightly. I don't like how the bridge "float". Its well 2.5mm over the top of the guitar. I find there's no way to lower it flat on the surface to block the tremolo movement (for those who prefer push only, not pull), without the strings buzzing! The only option is to block the trem via the spring cavity at the back with a block of wood (like Clapton). At the moment, i will live with the float... I couldn't spot any flaws, glue marks or sharp edges around the frets. Pickups were adjusted at the ideal height. No loose screws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar rarely goes out of tune, unless the tremolo is used. I'm not a performer so I dunno whether it will withstand live gigs. I've had this guitar for about 6 months now, and the fake "gold" hardware is wearing away already. Overall the guitar is built solidly and it won't fall apart anytime soon. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play groove metal (pantera, LoG), but also some other stuff such as blues, funk rock and alternative. It comes with a nice, soft gigbag and the sales guy threw in a bunch of picks too. For the price I think its really a steal and would make a perfect birthday gift or something. I just wish it had locking tuners. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2011

Purchased from: guitar center, raleigh

Features: This will be a different kind of review, I bought this guitar for my son. I think it is a 2010, made in Korea. It is the emerald green version with chrome hardware. Mahogany body with curly maple veneer, a maple neck with rosewood fretboard, can't really tell with the finish. It's a double cut-away with PRS tremolo, EMG active pick-ups, one volume, one tone, and 3-way switch. It came with PRS non-locking tuners but recently changed to Sperzel locking. I bought it with an inexpensive hard case. I rated it an 8 because I thought it could come with more controls. // 8

Sound: He has been playing for 9 months and been using this guitar since Christmas 2010. He generally plays metal and since we looked at this guitar he has learned to like Cradle of Filth, personally not my favorite. He is still taking lessons but has a nack for playing and picking it up fast. Right now he uses it through a Line 6 Spider 15 and plan on a bigger one this Christmas. I do play some but just toy with it and would not consider myself a real player. The store got me one from PRS because they had no more in stock and I did not want the one hanging on the wall. I wanted one that came with the factory settings. It seems well suited for the type of music he plays, but I also think the amp has a lot to do with that. I have a Schecter C-1FR that plays cleaner but the heavy sound of the PRS is what he wanted. I'm sure with the right amp and effects, you could play about anything. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had him play different guitars for about 3 months before I got him this one. At first he wanted an LP and we looked at some Gibsons and Epi. I also had him try a few SGs. He is not a Fender fan. He also tried a few Schecters, but when I gave him a PRS to try, it quickly became a matter of which one did he want. My budget was around $500 and that gave us a few to choose from. He fell in love with the feel of the neck, being a wide/thin model. We still go on weekends to try other guitars and still prefers the PRS. The settings are still factory with no buzz and easy action. The guitar itself is a beauty. You cannot go into a store and not see that PRS guitars without a doubt are the best looking line of guitars short of high end customs. I am a cabinet maker buy trade and find the finish to be quite impressive and Bullet proof. You have to really try to scratch the finish. I'm also glad it has the chrome finish so it won't wear like the gold. In general, the finish is flawless. The only thing I saw that was a little off was a tuner didn't seemed lined up quite right, but that doesn't really matter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: He doesn't play live yet but from comparing it to the Schecter, I would say it should have no problem standing up to live playing. I like that the neck is glued in rather than bolted, it gives it a more solid feel. And since I changed it to locking tuners, I'm sure it will stay in tune better. Coming off a Floyd Rose to non-locking, it seems like it never stays in tune. The strap buttons seem fine, and the rest of the hardware seems okay. The tremolo seems week in comparison to the Rose but it works fine. I'm sure one could play it without a back-up if their playing with the same tuning all the time. Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to thrash the guitar, its to beautiful for that. I gave it an 8 because I really have no clue how it would do live playing heavy metal. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I bought this for my son. I have owned a couple of off brand guitars, a Squire Standard strat, the Schecter and bought my daughter an Ovation Acoustic and found that the Allender by far is a better built guitar for the money than anything I have seen by anyone else. If your not thinking of a PRS for your next purchase, then your not getting the most for your money. I can understand why you would buy a guitar for a certain sound, but if you are only buy one, PRS is the one to get. If this guitar was stolen, he would buy another one. If I learn to play better, I am buying myself one. But I might get the Custom 24, being an old guy who likes all kinds of rock. The one other thing that bugs me which is really kind of dumb is that the finish is so slick that sitting with the guitar is hard for me because it wants to slide off my leg. I prefer standing anyway. It would have been nice if it came with locking tuners, and the Switch is in a weird place, but after toying with junk for a long time, I can oversee that. If your looking to buy a guitar, see what the pros are playing. You'll find there are a lot of PRSs' out there. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: PRS-Metal, on august 10, 2011

Price paid: C$ 850

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

Features: Not sure of the year on this one, though I know this is the new model with the chrome hardware and EMG's, not the gold hardward with stock PRS-SE pickups. It was made in Korea. I have the purple one. 24 frets, a pretty thin neck as far as the SE models go. It has an Ebony fret board and PRS designed tuners. The top is a quilt maple, and the body is mahogany. The pickups are EMG 81-TW in the Bridge and 89 in the neck. These are active pickups(humbuckers) and seems to be one of the few guitars with EMG's to come out lately with just the 9 volt and not 18 volts. This is a variation on the traditional EMG 81/85 combo. They are essentially the same pickups, but these have the option for coil tap. The Bridge pickup is coiled tapped by pulling the volume knob up, and the neck from the tone knob. I've found the Bridge to be the only real downfall to this guitar. It is a PRS style floating trem, but it REALLY has to be lowered to get a decent action without knocking the saddles down to the bottom where they may rattle. Be careful when buying this model if you intend to bend back at all with your trem, as it wont go as far as some other floating trems, though that really is to be expected. From playing a few of them, I've noticed this varies from model to model. I wanted this one due to its colour, and I knew I could set the Bridge up regardless. The bat inlays are VERY well done and there's no flaws found around them. If you haven't seen them close up, you gotta check them out. // 8

Sound: I play mainly metal and hard rock. This works great for both. Needless to say EMG's don't clean up as well as most passive pickups, but that's not why I bought this guitar. The coil tap option is actually really nice. I find myself using it to get Strat like cleans, even though when I bought it I had no intention to use the coil tapping. I've played it through many amps and it's sounded great through everything so far. You get that great EMG sound(for those who enjoy EMG's). The ebony fretboard helps to get rid of some of the piercing you get at high gain/high treble settings with EMG's and this is possibly my favourite part of the guitar. It helps to deepen and fatten things up. Country Strat sounds to double humbucker metal can come out of this thing. Usually I would never say a guitar can do both, as many can't, but the coil tap really does the job. I can't see anyone buying this guitar for country though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said to start, the action was garbage. It can be set up very easily if you know what you're doing with floating trems. Adjusting the pickups is a given. Never expect a great set up from the store unless they have a great tech. I did my own of course. There is one small flaw on the the top, though I don't see it as a big deal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is perfect for live or bedroom playing. Everything's very solid. I depend on this thing as my only live guitar and it doesn't fail. No string snapping issues or anything. After playing it a ton, there is still no wear in the finish except for a little buckle rash in the back, but that is to be expected. Scars on a guitar often show love. // 8

Overall Impression: This is of course the PRS for the man who can't afford the USA versions. I love it and plan to keep it forever. Just because I didn't rate it straight "9" and "10" doesn't mean it isnt great. Nothing should be rated straight "10". My personal trem problem should not discourage you. I've been playing 11 years. I've owned and played many higher end guitars that didn't measure up to this, or even close. If it were stolen I would do unspeakable things to the person who stole it. Otherwise I would buy another one. When compared to the basic PRS-SE models, this thing is even better. I never was a fan of the Standard SE models. This changed my mind on the whole line though. You need to try one of these if you're looking for an awesome metal/rock guitar. Even at $850, it's worth MUCH more than that to me. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: GiantRobot95, on december 21, 2011

Features: This guitar has a scarlet burst finish, PRS designed tuners, PRS designed tremolo, a 24 fret ebony fretboard with bat inlays, and EMG pickups with coil taps. Also has a volume knob, tone knob, and a 3 way pickup selector // 10

Sound: You can get pretty much any sound out of this guitar ranging from brutal death metal, to twangy country. The EMGs can get a little harsh on the clean channel but come on, they're active EMGs! With distortion this thing sounds amazing. The pickups give it a really warm, thick tone. With the coil taps you can get pretty close to a Strat or Tele sound, although there is a noticeable drop in volume when using the coil tap feature. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was pretty decent. There was a lot of buzzing on the low e string, but it was easily fixed by adjusting the truss rod and saddle height. Other than that the action is perfect. The thin, wide neck is perfect for fast, comfortable shredding. Another thing I love about this guitar is the intonation. Out of all the guitars I own, this one has absolutely PERFECT intonation. Every single note and chord sounds perfectly in tune. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, but so far this guitar is very reliable. I've accidentally banged it against walls and stuff pretty hard a few times, and there isn't a single scratch on it. I replaced the strap buttons with DiMarzio clip locks, but I'm sure the original strap buttons would be very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, blues, and classic rock. This guitar suits just about any style. I can get some heavy Cradle Of Filth sounds, as well as twangy Black Crowes sounds out of it. Even though this guitar is mainly geared towards metalheads, I would recommend it to any other musician as well. // 10

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: anime-guitarist, on march 08, 2012

Features: I got this guitar brand new, I know a guy who works at PRS and he got me a great deal. I've owned this guitar for a bit over two years. I never listened to Cradle Of Filth, not my kind of music, but this guitar really caught my attention when I first saw it. The finish on this model is very unique and I think that's what caught my attention. The guitar came with a case and the little wrenches most guitars come with, nothing special. // 10

Sound: This is a good heavy rock guitar, unusual for PRS. I don't do much heavy music other than 80s metal. I play j-pop (Japanese pop) music almost all the time and it sounds amazing. The pickups aren't noise and the guitar has a very heavy sound. It's pretty versatile, can get really good dirty tones and smooth clean tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had this guitar set up before I actually got it, so I wouldn't know about the factory setup. From what I've been told, PRS setups are usually very good. I didn't have to change anything on it other than swapping out the knobs for some gold metal ones, just to go with the hardware... The only flaw I noticed was a tiny blemish in the finish near the bridge, it's hardly noticeable unless you're literally only a few centimeters from the guitar. Sometimes the g string goes out of tune while in the case, but that's the only major issue I had and it's nothing serious either though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I mainly use this guitar for recording, since that's usually all I do. It has held out very well on stage, but then again... I don't thrash around on stage either. I don't think I need a backup but I always bring my BC Rich as a backup just as an extra precaution. The strap buttons are solid, haven't had the strap fall off once before, always use Planet Waves straps. The finish hasn't worn out at all. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing guitar for j-pop music. It's also great for heavy metal since that's what it's made for. I've been playing this guitar for over two years, been playing three years total... If it were ever stolen or lost I'd go out of my way to get it back if I were unable to get another one just like it. I don't really hate anything about this guitar, never got the urge to swap pickups like most people do. I've played various PRS guitars, over 30 different models, and I would choose this one over all the others. Locking tuners would be good for this guitar, but other than that, I got no complaints. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: JonoSchoeman, on april 19, 2012

Purchased from: Paul Bothners

Features: The Paul Allender Signature electric guitar is a great guitar at a great price. It has wide but thin Maple neck and a Rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets set into a mahogany body. The neck is build for speed, and you are able to do quick runs up and down the fretboard. The Beveled Mahogany body has a Flame Maple Veneer purple finish over it, making it really stunning to look at. It has a PRS Tremolo bridge and tuners. All the hardware is Nickel with a gold finish. It has two passive humbucker pickups (one at the bridge and one at the neck) and has a single volume and tone knob, and a single 3 way pickup selector. It has awesome bats as fretboard inlays. // 10

Sound: This guitar was made for metal, and it delivers a full, driven sound that will definitely blow your mind away. I tested it with a Laney Ironheart cab and also a Roland Cube 30X & Boss ME-50 footswitch combination. Its overdrive delivers a well-rounded, heavy (but not too heavy) tone perfect for lead solos or rhythm parts. Its clean tones are bright and warm, thanks to its beautiful humbuckers. These pickups didn't give any feedback for me other than on the most brutal metal OD (which I don't ever use). This guitar is suitable for metal, rock and when using clean tones, maybe even jazz/funk. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The origional action of the guitar was a bit high for my liking, so I just manually lowered it so that it suits me. The pickups were already adjusted to give great all round sound. This guitar seems flawless and was in perfect condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a really rugged guitar that seems like it can handle the gigging and touring life. The strap buttons are fixed solidly and it is a really reliable and versatile guitar to play. // 9

Overall Impression: I always used to be a punk rocker, but now I'm more into my metal. This guitar is perfect for me as I'm able to increase my musicality and skill through this instrument. Its enabled me to open up to new skills and methods I could not originally achieve on my old Bullet Strat (which is still a great guitar for beginners).I compared this to the Jackson Dinkey series that's in the same price range, as well as with the Fender Classic Vibe guitars, but none could come close to this guitar. Its looks are amazing, its fretboard it lightning fast, it has kick-a-s bat inlays and great pickups. The only thing I might of liked was a through bridge, but still, this guitar is worth the money. I don't think I'll get another guitar any time soon. // 9

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: steve_121, on august 02, 2013

Purchased from: Guitar Village

Features: Made in Korea under license. This is the Mark 1 Paul Allender, not the current production model (Mark 2). Based on the Custom 24. 24 frets, three way switch and two humbuckers (EMG's). The differences between the releases are: - mark one is curly maple top, mark two is normally flame maple - mark one had gold hardware, mark two has chrome - mark one had uncovered pups, they are covered on the Mk2 - mark one had a flat top, I think the Mk2 has a contoured body maple top, well bookmatched, mahogany back and neck. The PRS wide thin profile. Double cutaway with an extra scoop to give easy access to the top frets. PRS SE tremolo with push in bar. Non locking tuners. Signature bat inlays on the neck. Mine is emerald green, purple is also available. Came with a PRS gig bag - which are awesome, and adjustment spanners etc. // 8

Sound: Good quality electronics and pups. They are set to overdrive when turned up to full volume so you really have to back them off on volume if you want a clean sound. But then this guitar is built for heavy rock. The best way I can describe the sound is "dirty" it had attitude, and if you want to sound sweet or "nice" forget it. Variety wise. With a bit of practice I can get a clean enough sound for intros (say diary of a madman) then flick channels on my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 for some screaming lead. Or I can up the volume using the on-board volume control and get plenty of distortion for a rock/blues. So it's pretty versatile with a good amp - but by that I mean versatile around rock. It's what I bought it for and it's attitude makes me play with more verve and gusto. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I much prefer the quilted maple and the gold hardware on the mark one, but that's personal preference. Mine has the rosewood fingerboard but ebony was also available. The finish is, like other PRS, excellent. Good attention to detail, even to the tone they've got on the maple purfling fitting with the green. The action and neck were set well. One of the strings moved over the first month and I had to increase the height at the bridge, I think there was a loose adjustment screw, but it was easy to diagnose and fix. Overall a great set-up and finish, although I did try three in the shop and picked the best. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Great for gigging. If I use the gigbag I always need to retune. But it withstands live playing and copes with all my thrashing and string bending well. I'd always carry a back up but that's because breaking a string would throw the trem out and I really do thrash this guitar. I've had it for three years now and it has kept it's finish well - it's nitro so pretty scratch resistant, even so I'd have expected more dings by now so very durable. My one niggle when playing in a HOT and sweaty room is the way the finish does accumulate salt and grime from my fingers. After an hour the back of the neck is pretty gritty, so it seems to stick more than say to my SG which is a similar finish - not sure why, but a quick rub down every few songs does the trick. // 9

Overall Impression: I play quite a few style and I use this guitar only for rock, softer to heavier. It is the heavy rock where it excels, particularly when paired with a good amp and overdrive. This is the "heaviest" sounding guitar I've got, so I tend to pick it for particular songs - it's not a do-everything guitar like a PRS Custom 24, but if you want to wail you can do a lot worse. My favourite feature is the tone - the dirty, raunchy sound really helps me get in the mood and makes me play differently, with more attitude. By bugbear - it difficult to switch sounds because this guitar is made to excel in one area. That makes some songs trickier. If it was stolen - I might get a replacement, but I'd probably look to the mark 1 rather than the newer issues. Or else I might just use a Les Paul. But I know a Les Paul just wouldn't look so good. Sorry but it's true. So my advice - if you want a rock guitar - try it. If you want versatility, don't or play it with an amp and pedals that give you good volume and tone control. // 8

SE Paul Allender Reviewed by: paul.housley.7, on june 09, 2014

Purchased from: reverb

Features: Bats on the fretboard. 2013 scarlet red w/ active EMGs and coil tap feature. Push/pull Volume and tone controls, 3 way pickup selector, PRS tuners and PRS tremolo. Maple neck, mahogany dual cutaway body. The highlight of the guitar is the "bats in flight" inlays. I'm giving it a nine for features. The guitar does okay in terms of hardware but the bat inlays boost the score. They are eye-catching and (I think) really cool looking. If you don't care about inlays then this is more of a 7 or an 8. If you are a maniac w/ the tremolo then you probably won't be satisfied. That's not to say it's a bad tremolo - it's a clear step up from the trems you'll find on an average starter guitar. The tuners are better than the grovers on my Epi Les Paul. // 9

Sound: Versatile.  I don't generally listen to anything heavier than Metallica, but I am pretty pleased with the active pickups all the same. The coil tap feature is great. You don't get a full-on strat tone but it definitely helps.  It has a great deal more versatility than my Les Paul but it's difficult to get anything as satisfying as the the warm growl of an LP. Whereas the LP is a one trick pony, this is a jack of all trades (and master of none). If you want a reasonably priced guitar that can handle a wide range of styles then this is worth consideration. I think that it would be a good fit for a guitarist who likes to switch back and forth between hard rock and funk sounds a la the Red Hot Chili Peppers. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar very cheaply by winning a "no-reserve" auction on reverb. I think that it had been hanging on the wall for quite a while before I got it. The strings looked very old and I needed to do some basic maintenance on the guitar. I changed the strings, adjusted the truss rod (very slightly) and adjusted the action. Intonation was good. I was able to set the action pretty low. It has a good neck, no fret buzz and it feels great. I feel that the guitar plays very well even if it is compared to other guitars in the 700 to 800 dollar price range. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am not a particularly experienced player and I do not play gigs at all. I am very easy on my guitars and I do not have any reliability concerns aside from the point on the top of the headstock. I am not aware of any mechanical problems and I don't have any particular concerns aside from the heastock tip. The review feature requires 500 characters but do you really want reliability ratings from a guy who never takes the guitar out of his living room? Nah. I can only say that the Les Paul seems more solid, but at the same time I don't think that I would enjoy holding it for the length of a show. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about a year now. I feel that this is an excellent guitar for beginners, intermediate players and even for many working musicians. I suspect that a professional might be dissatisfied with tremolo. I also think that a versatility compromise has been made and the available tones are therefore good, but not great. I am using cheap solid state amplifiers at the present time but I will vouch that this guitar sounds very nice if you play it through a proper amp. A Fender Deluxe Reverb nicely complements the pickups and you can get some really nice hard rock or mainstream tones. The guitar seems to sound best when you're using it to range throughout the popular middle of rock and roll. This might seem at odds with the bats and the endorsement from Cradle of Filth's Paul Allender yet that seems to be what you're getting if you purchase one of these.

I love this guitar. I probably made it sound like I was less impressed than I really am, but I really like this guitar a lot. The PRS necks are my favorite and I particularly like the wide-thin style featured here. I like funk and hard rock and this is a great fit for me. Would I get the exact same model again if I lost it? Maybe not. I might opt for a PRS SE CU24 instead, or perhaps an HSS or HSH super-strat configured guitar if I could locate one with a neck that suited me. Of course I'd jump all over a PRS 513 if my income bracket changed. All in all I feel that this guitar (and the SE line in general) is a little under-appreciated. It is not a 3,000$ PRS. It is a very strong offering compared to the other big players in the 500-900$ price bracket. Play a few of these back-to-back with a few other guitars in the same price-range and you'll see what I mean. // 9

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review