SE Singlecut Review

8.6
reviews (14) 101 comments vote for this gear:
SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2006

Purchased from: www.Imuso.co.uk

Features: This LP-style guitar was made in Korea. It features 22 frets, a mahogany neck and a mahogany body with a maple top. The finish is amazing, very smooth. It has two humbucker pickups made in house to PRS standards. It has one knob for volume and one for tone. Includes a gigbag. // 9

Sound: The sound is amazing, and the sustain is out of this world. It is ideal for all types of music, I play everything from AC/DC, Led Zeppelin through to things like Stereophonics. I also enjoy playing the blues and this gutar handles it very well. I use it with a Zoom G2.1U multi-fx pedal and I have yet to hear it sound out of place. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory, I didn't have to ajust a thing! There are no flaws in the guitar. The finish is amazingly smooth, making movement around the guitar a breeze. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it to long but I've had no problems so far, it looks solid and everything seems in place, nothing is loose. // 10

Overall Impression: I love playing things like Led Zeppelin and it replicates this type of sound amazingly. This is only my second guitar, my other is an Ibanez GAX30, this was intended as a starter guitar as I've only been playing for a year. I tried out a number of guitars at the local music shop, I was origionaly going for a Epiphone LP but I'm glad I found this, its worth the extra 70. I love everything about this guitar, it looks, sounds and feels amazing. // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 12, 2008

Purchased from: Pro Music

Features: Late 2007 model, 22 frets, mahogany body, slightly carved flame maple top and mahogany neck, Whale Blue, 2 passive humbuckers, volume, tone and 3 way toggle. Standard PRS stoptail bridge and non-locking tuners. Came with a nice gig bag, humidifier, strap, cable and polishing cloth. Not the bag of bones as far as features goes, but this guitar certainly proves that less is more. // 10

Sound: I play hard rock mostly, in the vein of Godsmack, Sevendust, and Breaking Benjamin. I play other styles, and this covers most bases. I play this through a Mesa Boogie Nomad and Mesa Boogie Blue Angel. I didn't brutalize the truss rod by tuning down low, so I played Straight Out of Line and then tuned up and played Green Eyes. Going from Godsmack to Coldplay on one guitar seems impossible, but this gem pulled it off well, and ultimately sold me. This doesn't feedback as bad as my Gibson Les Paul. A little hum, but not the annoying feedback. The sound is ultimately where this thing shines- it can go from soothing clean to all out scream. Flick up to the neck position, and a very beautiful clean tone comes out. I never thought my Mesa could have such a good clean tone! On the bridge, it's very piercing, and open chords are very ineffective. Switch to the overdrive channel, and prepare to incite a riot! This is a great rhythm guitar, and a good lead guitar. I'm not a lead player, but my friend is, and he played it and was amazed. The biggest difference in the tonality of the SE Singlecut and my Les Paul is how precise and clear the tone is the Les Paul is very boomy and muddy. I used to be pretty sloppy playing the Paul, because I could get away with it. Now, I'm playing a very high Precision instrument, and you hear everything! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I purchased this in a music store, I couldn't tell how well it was set up from the factory. The action was perfect, as was the pickup height. The strings smack the pickups on my Les Paul, and that's simply not the case with the SE Singlecut. This guitar suits the player, whether sitting down or standing up, and that's a plus. There's a rib carve in the back which makes for more comfort playing as well as weighing less than a Les Paul or a Standard Singlecut. The wood is definitely high quality, as is the hardware. The top has a much deeper and broader flame than the LP, and that's a shame, considering I spent $3000 on a 1979 Gibson Les Paul, and a $650 import guitar shames it 95% of the way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand Live playing- I'd do a very very small gig without a backup, and that's anywhere between 25-55 people. This guitar will last as long as the owner takes care of it. In a few years, I'll probably have to get this guitar re-finished, the lacquer seems a little thinner than on other guitars I own. It may not be necessary, but as a precautionary measure to say the least. The strap buttons are the most solid out of all the guitars I own. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the perfect match for me as far as playing original music and covering other artists' work. I've been playing for about 6 and a half years, and this is my favorite guitar out of any guitar I've ever owned, and my stable includes a 2003 Fender Standard Fat Strat, a Fender Esquire RI, a 1996 Ibanez Talman, a 1979 Gibson Les Paul KM, and now a late 2007 PRS SE Singlecut. The combination of looks, playability, tone, and simplicity are what really sold me. I'm more inspired to play and upkeep my guitar than I ever have been. If someone stole this from me, whoever did would be sorry, because I'd beat them mercilessly and take back my jewel. I'd buy another one for kicks afterwards. Actually, I would not be ashamed to be seen with nothing but PRS SE Singlecuts, I'd like to buy one in the new Blue Matteo finish online to see how the factory setup was. I like the guitar for what it is, it doesn't need the birds or locking tuners or coil tap for me, I'm satisfied. My first PRS and not my last, to say the least. // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 29, 2009

Features: As noted elsewhere, this is a Korean-made, 22-fret guitar with a 25-inch scale and two PRS-designed humbuckers. It has single volume and tone control knobs, a 3-way selector Switch and I bought the stop-tail rather than the tremelo model. The neck and body are mahogany and the fretboard is rosewood. It's a Les Paul style body but weighs MUCH less than my Gibson. The tuners are chrome non-locking PRS tuners. Guitar Center didn't include anything (not even a gig bag) but at this price I didn't complain! // 9

Sound: I play anything from clean blues to classic rock, to somewhat heavier stuff (e.g., Godsmack) and this guitar handles all that beautifully. I don't play anything super heavy so I can't speak to it's ability with Mega distorted tones. It has a great bassy sound but isn't nearly as muddy as my LP. The bridge pickup can really cut through. I go straight through a 50-watt Peavey Valve King (tone on a budget!) and occasionally use a wah and over Drive. This guitar is very versatile from my persective. It can certainly achieve a Vintage-like humbucker sound but will not sound like a Les Paul, so if you're going specifically for a LP sound, buy a LP, not this guitar. One of the other reviewers said he had to clean up his playing b/c the pickups are so good and I agree w/this. It's made me clean up my slopping picking and focus more on controling sympathetic string vibrations. Finally, this guitar has great sustain for it's weight. Not a LP but pretty damned good! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly. The action was perfect for Standard tuning. I play down a half-step so I had a pro adjust the neck to reduce fret buzz and now it's perfect. I bought the black one and this guitar contained no flaws. My only complaint, and this is a minor one, is that the toggle Switch is placed somewhat awkwardly, especially if you're used to a Strat or Les Paul. The toggle on the SE is placed too far back for me but I may get used to it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar 3 months at this point so I can't comment on long-term durability. It just FEELS like a solid, trustworthy guitar. My only complaint is that even though the strings are stretched, the G string doesn't stay in tune well. I may invest in some locking tuners but it still would be a bargain given the overall quality of this guitar. Strap buttons are solid and the finish seems robust. (I'll update this in the future if I have any problems and when I get the tuning issue resolved). // 8

Overall Impression: I was looking for a Vintage-style humbucker guitar with a bit of a more unique sound and this guitar offered exactly what I was looking for. Just to compare, I played Epi Les Pauls for a lot more money and I liked this guitar much better. It's a perfect match for my style of music and I would definitely buy another one if this one got lost or stolen. The only two things I wish this guitar had were better tuners and a more conveniently placed toggle Switch. Overall, I highly recommend this guitar if you're looking for a great humbucking tone, physically solid guitar on a budget. // 9

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: leondb, on january 12, 2007

Features: I recently purchased a PRS SE Singlecut from Dan's Guitars, here in Honolulu Hawaii. I chose Black Cherry, which is a deep red. This was made in Korea, has a mahogany 22 fret neck with rosewood fretboard and moon inlays, with a wide fat neck. The body of this beauty is Mahogany with a Maple Top. All the accessories on this guitar is PRS made, from it's chromed non-locking tuners, chromed bridge, 3-way toggle switch, and volume and tone control. // 10

Sound: This guitar is awesome! I am into rock: alternative, punk, grunge, metal, classic, glam. I also love other genres like soul, ska, Christian, reggae. This guitar is willing and able to touch every subject! I'm currently running a Crate GX-20M amp, with a DigiTech Grunge Pedal, and occasionally a DigiTech Hyper Phaser. The pickups are passive, and both neck and bridge pickups are humbuckers. I agree that the sustains are excellent. But even though I love the sound, I can't deny that my style of music requires an active pickup, like a Seymour Duncan Dimebag. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is superb! It feels easier to move around compared to my good old Fender. Cutting licks and scales is sharp. I couldn't ask for more from PRS. Like I mentioned, the finish is Black Cherry, which is deep red. It is absolutely beautiful! It's a color that makes me think of a lady's lipstick. I also noticed that this guitar is a little lighter then my mammoth of a Fender. No flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made to last. I plan to change the straps to locking strap soon. You never know with guitar knobs and switches, but I think it will last a good decade or so before they need replacement. I think all electronics on guitars fade over time. And I like guitars without pick guards. I don't know why. I never abused my first guitar and don't plan on doing that to this one either. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, alternative, punk, grunge, metal, classic, glam, soul, ska, Christian, and reggae. This guitar sounds great in all fields. Clean and dirty is right about where I want it. I'll perfect it maybe with an active bridge pickup. I've been playing for 14 years now, and own a Fender Stratocaster electric, Takamine Acoustic, Alhambra Classical. Every guitar I own is special to me, and if this PRS was stolen I would not hesitate to buy another one. I'm considering spending a little more later on a Standard Singlecut. If I love this guitar, imagine how much better a Standard one will sound?! // 9

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2007

Purchased from: A Sharp Music Co

Features: This PRS Singlecut was from the less expensive SE line and was made in 2006. The neck scale is 25" with a wide-fat neck carve and what I believe to be medium-jumbo frets. It has a flame maple top with mahogony body and set-in mahogony neck. It's a LP style guitar with a stoptail bridge and passive PRS designed humbuckers. It has one master volume and a master tone control and non-locking PRS designed tuners. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits every style of music I play. Both pickups are crystal clear and work perfectly with the fatness you get from a mahogony body. I play metal, hard rock, classic rock, alternative and indie music. Since this guitar is equiped with humbuckers there is no 60 cycle hum but if you crank the gain through a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto, you'll get some moderate hum. The two best settings I have found is with the treble pickup turned all the way up and the tone control at 8, which sounds very Led Zeppelin like. The other setting is with the neck pickup cranked with its tone control all the way down, which is a mix between (you'll hate the comparison) a Clapton on EMG's sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how the factory set-up was but my music store did a kick-ass setup with perfect action and balanced pickups. The finish was flawless and everything was in tip-top shape. All the electronics were functioning normally and everything was tightened down really well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will do just fine at any gig and it's very durable and can take a hit or two. The hardware is great and seems long-lasting. The stock strap buttons are great but I switched them out for Schaller loocking strap buttons since I like to move around a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: I got this guitar for my 16th birthday and I could not have asked for a better present, this guitar wails! In the 5 days I have had it I am constantly impressed by the quality and tone out of this guitar. For the 650 bucks this guy runs you can't get any better. If this guitar were broken, stolen or lost I would injure the guy Who did it and go buy another one immediately. // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 21, 2007

Features: 2007 PRS SE Singlecut in Whale Blue color. Wide-Fat neck with 22 frets on a 25" scale. Slightly carved solid flamed top with transparent finish. Three way pickup Switch, volume control, and tone control. Dual passive humbuckers. Non-adjustable stop-tail bridge with non-locking tuners. Comes with great gigbag and cable. Only giving it an 9 because some would prefer dual volumes and dual tones. // 9

Sound: This guitar has a very distinct sound that sets it above any other guitar in the SE class of PRS. I play mostly light rock, classic rock, and reggae. This guitar has a very Vintage sound and loves to have a very pushed sound. It can acheive very bright chiming highs or toned down to a warm-fat tone. Might not be the best metal guitar with the stock pickups, but other than pure death metal these pickups are outstanding! The sustain on this guitar is awesome. I am coming from a Jackson Soloist and am SO glad I switched to this guitar. It is perfect for cover bands that need to cover a wide variety of sounds. I am only playing through a solid state 65 watt Crate with alittle delay. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was perfect from PRS. Low action does make alittle tiny bit of string buzz, but that is covered up the second you plug this beast it. I am a firm believer that PRS has the most quality guitars on the planet. This SE line is no exception. Paul Reed Smith offers us a USA quality guitar at a 1/4 of the price. It feels no different than an USA model I have played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Just came in today so can not comment to much on this category. Overall this guitar seems very well built and I would gladely gid it without a backup, and I plan too! Finish is very deep and durable and overall this thing is a tank. I plan on keeping this guitar til it falls apart, which might be many many years. // 10

Overall Impression: In conclusion this guitar will handle all playing types and responds very well to dynamic picking techniques. I have been playing around 5 years and have owned guitars twice this price. This is now my main guitar and I can't seem to put it down. It's neck is such a joy to play! // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: VoRzCeNt, on january 07, 2008

Features: Made in Korea. 22 frets. Nice finish (way better than it is in picture). This guitar has no whammy bar, and only one control for tone and volume each. This means the humbuckers have to be set the same. Other than that, the features are fine. The finish really can even beat out a Gibson LP if you like it. Mine is much darker around the edges, unlike in the picture. If you want a whammy bar there is another similarly priced PRS with one, check into that. The body isn't a completely flat-top, don't worry, it has decent carving in it. // 8

Sound: The sound is great, with the humbuckers this is really a versatile guitar. Anything from metal to classic rock to blues, you can play it on this guitar with the right amp. However you might not be able to play crazy Steve Vai, whammy bar reliant licks, as this guitar doesn't have one. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I received was well made and assembled. The action was just a little high for my liking, but that can be fixed. It is well-crafted, and I haven't found a flaw in the body. It fits well when standing up and when sitting down. It seems slightly more thin than its LP counterparts, and I think it weighs less. I haven't really gotten tired while standing up with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really had this guitar long enough to accurately make an assumption of its durability. But in terms of reliability, I would trust this guitar with my life (well, maybe not my life). As of right now it isn't wearing away or anything, but like I said I haven't had it that long. Check reviews of people Who had for a better description of this guitar's durability. // 9

Overall Impression: For the value I don't know of much better guitars. It is definitely a worthy purchase. If my guitar were stolen I would not buy it again, as I wouldn't have enough. Let's just say I'm not willing to let it get stolen. I do wish it had more tone and volume control. The two knobs are not only few in numbers, but they also don't look that great either (sort of cheap plastically, more so than usual). I love the finish, the tone, the versatility, the playability, etc. I am not an absolute expert on guitar, and I encourage you to keep your minds open to other guitars if you are searching for a new one. // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Up for review is the PRS SE Singlecut. This is the PRS answer to the lower cost guitar market, and thus making it possible for anybody to own a piece of the legendary PRS quality. My particular guitar is the Singlecut version, short scale fretboard (22 frets), with the now non-available option of a lovley cherry red finish. You get two controls, a master volume and master tone, a three way selector Switch, PRS deisgned tuners and pickups, wraparound stop-tail bridge. The body resembles a slightly thinner Les Paul shape, with a major scallop on the back of the guitar like a Strat would have (for playing comfort) and a genius addition of a scallop inside the cut below the fretboard on the body of the guitar. // 10

Sound: It's a PRS. That almost says it all. Think of the guitar as a barebones PRS guitar, kind of like the Epiphone Les Pauls. None of the flashy hardware or the bird inlays on the fret board (these SE guitars ave crescent moos which are rather cool in thier own right), but the sound is classic PRS. The pickups are actually very good, not the output you'ds see from the higher end McCarty or Dragon pickups, but still very nice. You can do a lot with this guitar, play almost any sort of music you can imagine. It's that versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was professionally setup when I ordered her, and it shows. Great action, I like the feel of this one more than my Epi Les Paul. It's a nice flat and wide neck, and the addition of the contoured neck heel and the scallop on the "horn" of the body add to the playability. All the hardware is well installed, no tuning problems whatsoever. The finish is very nice, with a nice maple binding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very well made guitar, everything looks and feels good. I could depend on this all the time, I suppose I could even gig without a backup, it feels that good! I don't see any reason to worry about anything with this instument. The finish also looks very vell done, very nice color, very good job for a guitar made in Korea. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best guitar I've owned, I an't imagine gigging or recording without it. I think my favorite item ends up being the master controls, I miss that easy control becasue my Les Paul has a set for each pickup. I also like that the volume control is located in a place where one can perform volume swells easily. If it were stolen, oh, there would be hell to pay. // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: PRSseSinglecut, on december 03, 2009

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: The 12th Fret

Features: I'm not sure but I think it was made in the year 2001 in Korea built by World Musical Instrument Co. This guitar has 22 jumbo frets and the fret board is made of rosewood. This guitar has a solid top. The back is made of mahogany and the top is maple. The neck is mahogany. The finish on this guitar is a beautiful Black finish, this guitar is a Singlecut cut of other wise known as cutway/halfcut. The bridge on this guitar is a Tune-o-matic so it stays in tune very well. It has 1 Master vol. And 2 tone controls with a 3-way selector Switch. The pickup that came with it is PRS designed Humbuckers 1 Neck and 1 Bridge. The Tuners on this guitar are lokcing. And when I bought this guitar it came with PRS cables which suck first off the cables didn't even go in the Jack thats how deformed they were. and it came with a padded guitar bag. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Rock/Metal and this guitar suits it perfectly but i also play alot of everything from blues to jazz to punk which this guitar is also good for. I currently use a Roland Cube-X30 which is a 30 watt amp and I use mainly distortion, and Overdrive with this But the over Drive effect doesn't come with this amp its a Boss Pedal, but the distortion is built in. I'll be honest the pickups have a little bit of static but then again I have shitty cable so that could also be the problem. This guitar has a very warm sound when you use the neck pickup, on the bridge pickup you get a nice rich sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: this guitar is very well set-up in the factory, the only thing that came loose was the Jack but that can be tightend and it wont loosin if you tightin it. The pickups are great theres no problem with them. the bridge is set up perfectly too. The finishing is near perfect there are about 2-3 spots where there are some mistakes but they are barly noticable you can only realy see it if you lean in close. The finish will probably out Live me cause I have bumped this guitar into so many things and the finish still hasn't come off. Now it would of been good if there is a pick guard on it cause it a bit scratched from all the playing. But even that can only be noticed if you reflect light from it // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can't realy say much since I only had this guitar for less than 2 years but so far is its like when I bought it theres nothing wrong with it. The only thing that might brake after years is the pick up selector Switch and that's cause I use it alot. The strap buttons are solid. And this this guitar is dependable you oculd use this on a gig without a back up. And the last thing I have to say which is about the finish is that is probably would out Live me // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a great guitar for both starters and Pro's it fits any music style. I would definatly buy this guitar again if it was stolen, lost, or broken. I love the headstock design and the only thing I hate about it is the pickup selector Switch is at the bottum of the guitar. I wish it had 2 Master Vol. Instead of 1 of I'm getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus soon anyways. // 8

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2010

Purchased from: Pete Oakley

Features: Made in Korea, 2007. 25" Scale, 22 frets, Famous PRS Fat/Wide neck. Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard and Bookmatched flame maple veneered mahogany body with maple? Binding in Cherry Burst - Stunning! Singlecut body of course, wrap around bridge (no intonation adjustment). One volume and one tone control, three position selector for two humbucker pick ups. // 9

Sound: I bought this after reading many reviews, wanting a basic 2 humbucker style guitar to compliment my USA Srat. Used for Blues, Rock and Punk, which it excels at. Used with a Laney LC30 class A, all tube combo. This guitar covers all ranges of sounds you would expect from a twin humbucker configuration axe and performs them with absolute aplomb, warm when required, brash when hit hard!. Lovely cleans and deep down and dirty at full bore. I do not need to use effects when playing live, as the tones from the guitar and Amp combo suits my needs exactly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set up from stock. I only adjusted the action down a tiny amount to suit my own preference. The intonation is very precise from the non-adustable bridge. The guitar looks and possibly more importantly, FEELS wonderful. I occassionally play for hours, which seem like minutes, a real joy, comfortable when sitting or strapped on. The neck is best described as effortless in my opinion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar and have never needed a back-up. I have changed the strap buttons to Schaller, but only because all my guitars are fitted with the same and I don't have to change straps when changing guitars. It feels as solid as a rock and have not, or do not anticipate any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style of playing, which is mainly rythym as I sing also. I have been playing for approx 20 years on and off and have a USA Strat, a Jagstang and a Takemine EN45c acoustic. My amp is a Laney LC 30 all valve and I have a Line 6 pod live xt which is used for recording. I checked extensive reviews before buying and have not been dissapointed with the purchase. I would buy again if lost or stolen. I have compared it my my band colleagues Gibson LP and the PRS holds its own against it. I love everything about this instrument, it almost plays itself. If I had to choose, I would say the neck and fretboard are its best points. I would struggle to find any bad points except the toggle Switch positioning could be better (a minor niggle). Overall, a very well made piece of kit. I had reservations about buying a Korean made instrument, as I previously owned an Epiphone Les Paul, which was unfortunately nothing short of awful. The PRS Quality Control procedures are obviously very robust! // 9

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: AlaskanYeti, on august 12, 2010

Features: This particular PRS was made in 2007 in Korea. It has 22 frets and a nice chunky 50's style neck. It is a solid slightly figured top. This particular guitar is in sunburst tobacco finish and is nice looking but leaves a bit to be desired. It is a Les Paul style guitar with a fixed "McCarty" bridge. Passive electronics. The guitar has a Switch to Switch the humbuckers from bridge neck and combined. The tuners are just Standard nickel plated tuners. Work fine. Might upgrade to locking tuners. The one feature I wish this guitar had was independent pickup tone and volume controls so I could use one position as a kill Switch but I can live without that. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds GREAT. The bridge pickup has plenty of bit where as the neck pickup gives a very warm sound. I play alot of blues and classic rock and alternative and the guitar works great for those styles. I had some 13's on her to play in a metal band and it worked great for metal. I use it with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and she sounds amazing. The bridge pickup is great for punk/ metal/ shredding where as the neck is great for blues/ soloing without harmonics/ strumming chords. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot really say how well the guitar was set up. I bought her on clearance she was kind of dinged up. I know I have done alot of tweaking with the action intonation and truss rod. I changed the nut. The guitar wasn't flawed in any way from the factory she doesn't feel like a cheap guitar. I would place her overall feel a bit higher than a Gibson Studio Les Paul. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will take alot I've dropped her my fair share of times and shes fine. The hardware seems good I just hate the bridge prs puts on there guitars. Its really tedious adjusting intonation on it so I will probably replace it eventually. I had to put some fake wood in the strap button holes to get them to stick. I'll probably put locking buttons on pretty soon here.The finish is great and should last a very long time. // 7

Overall Impression: This is an amazing guitar. Very nice. She's a keeper/ I've been playing six years and I really feel like I made a solid investment. With some upgrades she'll be competing with top of the line gibsons. If this guitar were stolen I would probably take the chance to upgrade to an american prs Singlecut 245. I really love playability of this guitar. I compared with the Ibanez ART series when purchasing this guitar. I just liked her a bit more. Seemed more solid and she is a prs. // 9

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: dkennedy88, on september 17, 2010

Features: PRS SE Singlecut Trem, Made in Korea in 2008/2009 I believe, Tobacco Sunburst Finish. Mahogany body with maple top, and beautiful flame maple veneer. Natural maple faux binding on top of body (I like this). Wide/fat set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard, 22 medium-jumbo frets, 25" scale. PRS-designed non-locking tuners, two PRS-designed humbuckers, vol/tone with 3-way pickup toggle switch, and a PRS-designed tremolo round out this package. Not exactly a boatload of features, but I like simplicity on a guitar, seeing how I'd rather plug in and play than mess with a bunch of knobs and switches. // 9

Sound: I play mostly hard rock/alternative, and this pretty much fits the bill. I actually loaded my first PRS with EMG pickups a few years back, and to me at least, this guitar, stock no less, actually sounds a little meaner, all the while still retaining sonic clarity and a nice woody tone. I think the pickups are great, very versatile, crisp highs, thick low end, and it ROCKS with palm mutes. This really isn't a Les Paul-type sound at all. It's almost got the clarity of a Fender without the spank or twang (thanks to the humbuckers), but it can really crunch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action and setup was great in-store; however, it was set up for Standard tuning with.009s. My band plays at least a whole step down, sometimes more, so I had to file the nut out to accept the.012-.056 Ernie Ball set I put on it. I even had to widen the slot on the low E bridge saddle so the.056 could fit. No biggie though. Tremolo works better than any other non-locking trem (and I must say, I like this better than I like Floyds). I cut a guitar solo with it two days after buying it and did a few whammy bar tricks on the fly (even closing with a dive bomb) and it held its tune pretty well. Finish was beautiful, yet I did notice a few dings and scratches on the back of the body and on the neck (must've been damage from in-store display, and the reason I got a $100 discount on it), but as I travel and play regularly, this doesn't faze me. I love the neck. It's chunkier, yet fast and comfortable for my rather large hands. Tuners are far from bad--decent, not great though, might upgrade still. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I must admit, I did change the strap buttons immediately to Dunlop Straploks, not that the stock buttons were bad, but I do this to every guitar I own. I might change the tuners, not that they're bad, but I feel the PRS Phase II locking tuners will be better overall, since I do use my trem. Otherwise, the hardware seems pretty solid. I haven't used it live yet, but it feels every bit as solid, if not more so, than my other PRS (the EMG-loaded Tremonti SE). I've been playing PRS for almost 8 years now (since I was 15) and I know I can depend on them. Yet, I still NEVER, EVER gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great. It's gonna be my main live guitar as soon as my band resumes touring at the end of the month. I've been playing for almost 10 years now, and I have had lots of other guitars, including a rare 1980 Electra X210, a Korean Epi LP Standard, LTD Viper 400, etc. I currently own, in addition to this SE SC Trem, a PRS Tremonti SE, a Squier CV 50's Tele (which is surprisingly good, by the way), and an old Fender Strat. I use Randall and Line 6 amps through Marshall cabs, and this guitar most definitely holds its own, if not dominates. I tried many other guitars while shopping (including a Schecter Tempest Standard, Solo-6, and Corsair; LTD EC-400 22-fret, and EC-1000 24-fret; Gibson LP Studio; Epi LP w/P-90s; Various Ibanez ART series models; and several PRS models, at least 5 SE Singlecuts, 3-4 SE Customs, the SE Torero, and SE Soapbar) and this was my favorite above all. Quality-wise, I think it holds up with a Gibson LP Studio easily, for half the price (The PRS SE SC Trem sells from $575-625 brand new, while most LP Studios can easily fetch upwards of $1000 and more). The only thing I might change aside from the tuners are the controls. I might opt for dual volume knobs and no tone knobs. I like having independent volumes for pickups. This guitar must be replaced if stolen, lost, or destroyed. You will not beat this quality in its price range. // 9

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: mikeiff, on november 26, 2010

Purchased from: Allegro

Features: This guitar was made in Korea, it features a Mahogany body with a flamed maple top, and a rosewood fingerboar with 22 medium frets and a 25" scale. It has 2 PRS passive humbucker pickups and a 3 way switch. It has a PRS- Designed bridge, it's kind of the same thing as a Tune-O-Matic) It came with a nice gig bag. // 9

Sound: This is a quite versatile guitar. It has a really nice clean sound, but also sounds really good with a heavy distortion, it sounds heavy, but it's not noisy at all. I'm playing it through a Randall RG75DG3 and I'm really satisfied with its tone. I play some metal, some bluesy stuff, some bossa nova... And this guitar always sounds the right way! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came perfectly finished, no scratches, it was perfecty set-up, the quality of this guitar is really remarkable, all the hardware was nice and shiny. The only thing I could say that was wrong was the strings, they were a bit old and rusty, but it's not a big deal, I just changed them and I was good to go! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Looks really solid, everything looks really durable. The finish seems really good, I've bumped it against walls a few times and it didn't crack or scratch. The strap buttons seemed really solid but I replaced them with a Dunlop straplok, just in case! I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup! // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome guitar, great price/quality relation. I love the finish (I own a white one, but the other colors look great too), it sounds awesome, I can get a really heavy sound out of it, but also a rich, warm, clean tone and a cool old school overdrive. I have a BC Rich Warlock Bronze too, but this one feels like a much better guitar overall. If you want to buy a high quality guitar for an affordable price, go get this one! // 10

SE Singlecut Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 31, 2011

Features: Made in Korea, don't know what year but recently. 22 medium jumbo frets, wide fat neck with rosewood fretboard and moon inlays. Two open coil humbuckers, mine has the tremolo, cheap PRS tuners, mahogany neck, body and a maple top with a maple veneer. 3-tone control and master tone and volume knobs. I give it a 9 only because of the cheap tuners. Everything else is great. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is simply amazing. I've played Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez and several other brands. This is my 3rd PRS SE and now I've confirmed that this is the sound I love. Perhaps pros would look down on this but I've managed to get as close as I'd ever want to any rock and roll guitar tone out there. Before I had two Santana SE with all mahogany body and neck, which were very warm sounding with a strong mid-range but not much zing in the high end. This model with the maple top adds a little more treble so the advantage in the rock area is great. The downside is that it isn't quite as warm as the other two for say, jazz. But it is mainly a rock guitar, as are all PRS I've played. It is extremely versatile but not quite warm enough for jazz. Get a hollowbody for that. Anything else, this is wonderful. Anything from Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top or the like are almost instant with the bridge pickup and tone at about half, depending on how tinny your amp is. The neck pup with the tone rolled back is great woman tone or Santana. And something I just figured out, with my Fender 212 100W amp's crunch channel on, with the treble at the max and the bass and mids cut completely, it sounds remarkably close to Hendrix! Before I thought you needed a Strat and that this was the one sound you couldn't get with a PRS or Gibson, but now I have absolutely no reason to want a Strat, since in basically every other area they are inferior in IMO. In short, this is the most perfect sounding rock guitar I've had. I can only imagine what an American PRS is like. Oh well, some day... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish is perfect IMO. I haven't found any craftsmanship flaws at all. Amazing for a "discount" instrument. A word on action and intonation though: My first PRS SE was a stoptail version with the non-intonatable bridge. I use 0.11 gauge strings so I got rid of it because PRS customer service told me the guitar wouldn't tune properly with those strings. I spent several years before returning to PRS, although I loved the sound of that guitar, only because of this reason. When I got another, I made sure it was a tremolo even though I don't use it. I blocked it off like on a Strat by screwing the thing flush with the body. If you do this be prepared to have it permanent because you'll probably ruin the knife edge and the bridge screws will go all the way through to the other side of the body. This mod increased sustain, tone and tuning stability plenty and also makes very low action with minimal buzzing possible. I also considered getting one of those tonepros or PRS adjustable bridge replacements but read that they ride too high and eliminate the chance of low action. This is frustrating to me. How can PRS make such amazing guitars but with such a bonehead disadvantage that forces picky guitarists like myself to perform mods to an otherwise perfect instrument? Also, PRS SE tuners are terrible. Will be changing very soon. Because of these drawbacks, I discount two points. // 8

Reliability & Durability: With the exception of the lousy tuners, this thing is a rock. Can handle any amount of gigging and I've put mine through the motions. The tuners don't hold very well. If you gig a lot, change them. One point off for this. But all the rest of the hardware is great, haven't had any shorts on stage and also, the weight distribution is fantastic. It sits confortably on my shoulder and the neck never slides forward. You can tell Mr. Smith thought about this carefully. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar smokes. With the mods I described, I have a trusty axe for life as far as I'm concerned. It is my go-to guitar for any rock or blues related music, reggae and funk too. The only thing it really won't do is jazz, like I said before. It can do metal fine, although some die hard shredders might want a little more focus from a guitar with a 25.5 range. But this has plenty of chunk for riffs (not quite as much as a Les Paul though) and lots of high end (not quite as much as a Strat though). I've been playing for almost 20 years and have had my share of electric guitars. This and others in the PRS line are the best I've had, at least for rock and roll. If stolen I'd go on a rampage and have to rob a guitar center, taking only PRS guitars. Aside from the gripes I mentioned earlier, the only other thing I would rather have had would be this same exact guitar but with a double cut body style. If not for the need to perform mods, I would have rated it a 10. // 9

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review