SE Torero Review

9.3
 9.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 82 comments vote for this gear:
SE Torero Reviewed by: Reildeal, on june 25, 2010

Features: This is a new model from the PRS SE line of guitars. It was made in Korea with a higher price point than any of the other non-signature SE models, and when you pick this thing up, you know why. It feels extremely well built and has substantial weight and density with a very slick feel to it. It has a flame maple top and comes in two finishes. I personally got the red one. This guitar has a maple neck with neck-through body construction, Maple top and Mahogany body. The ebony fretboard is very clean, very smooth and absent of any inlays. This models sports a Floyd Rose double locking trem system and a pair of EMG pickups (81/85). Two knows(1-tone, 1-volume) and a blade style 3-way pickup selector keep things simple and clean. The finish was very pristine. // 9

Sound: I love a wide array of music, from oldschool blues, bluegrass, to classic rock to modern rock and metal of all forms. Honestly, this thing is geared more towards heavy rock and metal than anything else due to it's construction and the high output of the pickups, but with a little creative dialing in of amps and playing technique, you can find yourself comfortable with any of the tones this guitar will provide. I find the cleans to be very full, yet bright, and if you know how use your vol/tone controls and dial in your amp, you can find very satisfying tones for almost any style. But where this thing really shines is if you want to crank up the gain and whail. The pickup selector in the bridge or middle position provides very nice cleans. Anyone that is familiar with this pickup combo will know that these pickups are extremely quiet. I own a B-52 AT 2x12 100 watt combo, and I'm very, very happy with any of the cleans and dirt. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup unbelievably well. I like to do some slight adjustments with anything I bring home, but overall, it was a dream to play when it was in the store. As far as the finish, I had a choice of two, and I chose the one with the better bookmatched top. They both played as close to identical as I've ever experienced from two guitars at a store. (I have been known to have two of the same model and finish next to me take turns swapping them before I make a decision). Overall, this guitar came as pristine and perfect as I could ever expect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid and well constructed. Enough said. Pick one up for a bit and you'll know what I mean. Also, I have been absolutely amazed at how well this guitar stays in tune. Absolutely amazing. After the first restring I spent hours divebombing and doing whammy pulls... This thing just kept coming back perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: When I jam, I'm typically tooling around with music from bands like Tool, Alice In Chains, Slipknot, etc., but as I stated earlier I have a wide range of appreciated influences. Two things I did to this guitar on the first night of owning it were the 18V mod to the EMG's, and I blocked the trem to dive only. I have experience with the EMG's, and the extra headroom and midrange adjustment from the 18V mod is something that I feel more comfortable with. As far as blocking the Trem, I want stability in changing tuning as well as to simplify things when changing strings. Plus I'm not a huge Trem guy. I've never really like Floyds, but this guitar had everything I was looking for in my next purchase, so I figured the annoyances can be defeated with a little work. I've been playing for over 15 years, and have owned lots of different guitars and lots of different gear. I'm pretty minimalist and it doesn't take a $3000 guitar to make my fingers move. But I tell your, for $1000, this guitar is one hell of a purchase. // 10

SE Torero Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2010

Price paid: C$ 1000

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This guitar just came out brand new baby. Looks and feels amazing and you bet it plays that way too. 24 frets on an EBONY fretboard, Neck thru design Mahogany body with REAL Floyd Rose, floating tremolo. Some real nice active EMG81 and EMG85's in this baby, 3 way selector, 2 nobs 1 volume one tone, PRS designed tuners. I should point out the backwood is mahogany and with maple veneer on top, Neck wood is also maple with an Ebony top. Strat style cut with their own PRS twist on it, real easy to reach the 24th fret, and it came with a nice PRS gig bag. Play metal and shred in style with this guitar, for 1000 bones my god, blows most things that price out of the water. This thing was made to play metal of any type. // 10

Sound: I use this through a Line6 and thrash out playing some in flames, amon amarth, some disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine. HUGE range of sound, I mean this is a PRS, you know its freakin quality and its gotta sound sick. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was pretty well set up out of the factory. Came tuned in E Standard and I play mostly in C standard, Drop C things like that so I had it set with a lower action, threw on some slinkies and set it to c Standard and its beautiful. Absolutely no flaws on this instrument at all, great over quality with a fantastic Black cherry finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this live at all, button straps work nicely, I don't see how it would be a problem at all, and I bet I would be able to use this without a back up... If I wanted to play in the same tuning that is... Otherwise I'd need a different guitar. Not real flexible in terms of tuning all over the place. Best stick with one, its a floating tremolo remember so if you drop tune or up tune it, your gonna but some unwanted tension and youl get out of tune a lot, who knows, I wouldn't try it anyhow... Maybe drop the 6th string a step but that's it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and these pick ups are obviously a good match for that, if you disagree, tell that to zakk wylde.. I've been playing 2 years so flame me all you want about how I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but take a note on this. If I'm going to spend 1000 bucks on a guitar, you better believe I damn well researched this and tried out a whole bunch before I picked it. I compared it to Ibanez's XPT700 Xiphos, and to Jackson Warrior WRMG (with the emg's) and there's no comparison, PRS hands down. // 9

SE Torero Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2010

Purchased from: rockguitarstore.com

Features: This one is a new for 2010 Korean made PRS SE. As far as I know it is the most expensive in the SE line and also one of the first to feature EMG Pickups. It comes with a floyd rose, 24 frets and has neck through body construction oh and a PRS branded gigbag which is of great quality but I would have prefered a hard case. I guess I cant have everything. :) This guitar is mahogany with a maple top and the finish is fantastic, normally I find with the lower market guitars (under 1500) the biggest issue is finish quality, however this one shines and sparkles like a gem.. I love it! I decided to go for the Cherry Red as at first glances it was the most appealing to me, however with true human nature I am now starting to pine for the grey black one which has a more subtle but great character. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is unbelievable. I play in a classic rock band who have a few pretty heavy metal songs (think alterbridge etc) I wanted to get a guitar that had the power to create that wall of metal. This one certainly did the trick, I've even started using it live for most of our songs metal or not. I am using it through simple Marshall Valvestate in the bedroom which sounds fantastic and a Marshall Vintage Modern at live shows. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set-up perfectly, I don't have any ambitions to alter it at all I love it just the way it is.. I couldn't find any flaws at all. I should probably mention now I have been playing for about 20 years now and even used to work in a guitar workshop so I do know my stuff. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar so far has taken a bit of a beating and is still playing great.. I think it will keep going long into the future but time will tell. Certainly feels solid and I haven't noticed any flaws or cut corners yet. (I've given it an 8 as I believe it to be worthy of a ten however as I said 'time will tell') // 8

Overall Impression: I play Rock/Metal and it matches this sound perfectly had loads of compliments on my tone and playing since buying this guitar. If it was stolen I would get one again might go for the Grey Black though just for a change. My favourite feature is the Floyd Rose you can literally go mental on it and it will always return to tuning. PERFECT! // 9

SE Torero Reviewed by: 9natedawg, on august 30, 2011

Purchased from: Coffey Music, Westminster MD

Features: - Made in Korea and Shipped to US to be finished -24frets - Wide/thin - Jumbo frets - Maple neck - Ebony fretboard - No Inlays - Bound Mahogany body w/flame Maple veneer - Floyd Rose bridge - 3 way toggle switch - Master Tone and Volume - Bass pickup: EMG 85 - Treble pickup: EMG 81 - Locking tuners Also Comes with: - Gig bag - Allen wrench (for locking tuners) etc. // 9

Sound: Its a very good guitar for heavy riffing and shredding on the higher strings, but it sounds really strange when its clean and it isn't really good for blues or slow rock. For instance, if you're playing a song that goes from clean to distorted, you have to take the time to switch you toggle switch the neck pickup setting, turn down your tone a bunch and then roll of some gain. Maybe its just me though (I you a really small practice amp and a Boss ME-20 pedal. Other than that, it's a great guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There are absolutely no flaws in the making of this guitar, although for a guitar with EMG pickups, it takes a while to fix the distortion. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Great durability, I'd use it anywhere I play (I don't play in front of audiences a lot though). // 10

Overall Impression: Its a great guitar overall. Good for heavy stuff like Metallica, etc. // 9

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review