Singlecut Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 06/21/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Singlecut
The Singlecut features classic PRS construction and build quality, with a full depth mahogany body and carved, figured maple top. The body is 2.3" deep carved out to 1.9" at the rims. The 22 fret mahogany neck is glued into the body via a graceful curved heel allowing full fret access without weakening the neck joint.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.5
 9.8
 9.2
reviews (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Singlecut Reviewed by: hendrixx0046, on october 01, 2005

Features: This guitar us absolutely amazing. Made in the US it has 22 frets w/ seagull inlay, it has a 24 1/4 neck scale making it perfect for anyone used to either a Gibson or another guitar like an ESP. The neck if finished rosewood with solid flmaed maple headstock. It is the cutaway style with prs's variation of the tunomatic bridge. 2 volume 2 tone and a 3-way selector Switch. It has 2 prs humbucker pickups that sound great and a beatiful fur inlined case. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style perfectly, in fact I think it would suit any music style. I play a lot of metal but also some Zeppelin and Staind stuff so it's pretty versatile. The sound is amazingly rich and full. I am a Gibson man through and through but I'm sad to say that this prs is even better than the Gibson CLassic 60. Right now I have a Line 6 Spider II with a Metal Zone distortion and a Bad Horisie wah. A nice combo for this masterful guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the Singlecut is just superb. Pickups set up fine. I did not even have to fine tune them. Its setup was incredible. Handmade and one of a kind, not a scratch on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live without a backup. It's very reliable. The harware is pretty tough. Strap buttons are the best. I don't even lock them. The finish is pretty durable, won't wear off greatly with time. // 9

Overall Impression: This perfect specimen of a guitar is a perfect match for any style. I recomend the Line6 amps. I played it on a Marshall and the sound just wasn't quite as pure. If this guitar were stolen it would be hard to replace considering they are becoming scarce but if the chance came up I would buy it again no matter what. Oh and mine is emerald green. An overall beautiful guitar. // 10

Singlecut Reviewed by: A7X999, on june 21, 2006

Features: PRS 20th Anniversary Singlecut w/ tremolo, gray black. Made year 2006 in the USA. 22 fret neck, Rosewood fretboard, wide-fat neck carve, abalone "Birds In Flight" inlay w/ "brown" abalone wisps. Mahogany neck and body, flamed maple "10 Top". Gray Black Finish. Single-cutaway body. PRS Tremolo tailpiece. Passive electronics. one volume and one tone control, 3 way pickup Switch, push-pull tone coil tap, H/H pickup configuration. Schaller 14:1 low-mass locking tuners. Includes hardcase and all case goodies. // 10

Sound: Absolutely amazing sound. I've played every kind of Les Paul, and PRS Singlecuts are FAR superior. I'm really into playing metal of all kinds and this guitar is more than perfect. Not very good "metal styling", but the sound makes up for it. I don't use any effects really, only clean and distortion mostly. Absolutely crushing distortion, even on my practice amp (Kustom 25-watt), excellent clean as well. Plenty of sound variety, especially with the push-pull coil tap. Awesome humbucker sounds, "Vintage" sounds, with coil tap on has Strat-like sound, gives it a more quiet edge. All PRS guitars are very "LOUD" guitars, so if you're getting one make sure it has a coil tap. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: All I can say is that the guitar was set up perfectly, and I ordered it offline instead of from a dealer, and there were no set-up errors whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Extremely durable, much lighter than a Les Paul, top-of-the-line hardware, most solid strap buttons I've ever seen on a guitar. Most dependable guitar I've ever owned, most impressive gig-guitar I've owned (many complements from other guitarists on the sound and looks). Very good finish. The picture on the website didn't do the guitar justice. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar more than anything I've ever owned. I have no complaints at all. If anything would ever happen to it, I would undoubtedly lose sleep over it and cry in front of other men. I've had a Gibson Custom Shop SG, a few Ibanez's and Epiphone Les Paul's, and a Custom Shop Fender Strat (still own it), and nothing compares to my PRS. It's a very personal guitar and fits my every need. To be honest, this guitar is truly a work of art. It's inlay are absolutely stunning, and it's flamed maple 10-top is drop-dead gorgeous. Also has a beautiful Brazillian Rosewood fretboard and silver fret-bars. Inlaid Gold "Paul Reed Smith" signature on headstock, and ebony trussrod cover with silver purfling and inlaid silver "20th" in the middle of it. It was worth my every penny. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review