Tremonti SE Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 08/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Tremonti SE
Solid bound mahogany body, 22 frets, Bound rosewood fretboard, white pearloid SE inlays, wide-fat neck carve only. Hardware: PRS stop tail, PRS designed non-locking tuners. Open-coil humbucking pickups, tone and volume control.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
reviews (24) pictures (3) 59 comments vote for this gear:
Tremonti SE Reviewed by: soclax15, on april 07, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: - Made in 2003 - 22 frets - Mahogany body & neck - Platinum finish - Singlecut body (now discontinued) - Stoptail bridge/tailpeice - 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way toggle pickup selector - Mine was sold with PRS USA Tremonti pickups installed - Non-locking PRS tuners - Mine was sold with a hardshell case and Dunlop Strap locks installed. // 8

Sound: I play primarily hard rock/metal, but I also induldge in punk, hardcore, jazz, and blues on occasion. This guitar suits all of these styles well. I bought this guitar to replace my Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, and the difference in sound alone was enough to make me very happy about the Switch. I play this guitar through a split channel rig. One channel goes through my Boss Metal Zone pedal and a Morley Bad Horsie Wah for my heavy distortion, and the other channel goes through by Boss ME-50 Effects Processor for all my clean/light distortion/effects. The channels both feed into my Marshall 60 Watt Valvestate. The guitar has a great sound, simple as that. I've played it with the stock pickups, and they of course are not as nice as the USA's I have, but still sound great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar from somebody on eBay, and it was set-up very nicely with 11-52 gauge strings. Pickup height was perfect for a nice balanced tone on both pickups, without any of the harshness you can get from hot pickups. Guitar was setup very nicely, I took it out of the box, tuned up and played. I rarely mess with the tone controls on the guitar, but when I do I've noticed that they crackle, which I intend to have fixed at some point. Tuners are not locking, but they stay in tune just fine. The action is great, easy chording and fast solos, a nice change from my old Les Paul. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've already gigged with this guitar quite a bit, without a backup. I'm saving up to purchase a backup, mostly because I use several alternate tunings, and even though our singer is good with the crowd, I hate having to change tunings after every couple songs. Everything on this guitar is rock solid, simple as that. I haven't used the stock strap buttons, so I can't comment on those. The finish is made to last, the hardware is made to last, and it's a very solid Singlecut body. // 10

Overall Impression: My playing covers all sorts of territory, and this guitar is always right there with me. I've been playing for 6 years, and my first guitar was the aforementioned Epiphone Les Paul Custom. This guitar is better than the Epi in every category, at a better price. The gig bag that comes with it is one of the best I've seen, I've used it when I don't feel like lugging my hardshell, and it protects the guitar very well. The only thing wrong with this guitar is the scratchy tone pots, which can easily be fixed with some contact cleaner. I bought this guitar over the Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul, Schecter C-1 Deluxe, and ESP EC-1000, and couldn't have made a better choice. This thing is the total package, and at this price (which is quickly rising because it has been discontinued), it can't be beat. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This guitar was made in 2000 I think; in Korea. Don't really understand that since the factory's in the US. 22 frets, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, two humbuckers at the neck and bridge position; I think they're Tremonti II's. Not too sure about the woods. I know for a fact the fingerboard is rosewood, I think the body is either maple or mahogany. Finish is satin. Body is LP style, locking tuners, PRS bridge, came with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, but sometimes I rip some death metal. It fits both styles perfectly. I play it with an older version of a Fender Princeton Chorus amp. I run it through a Boss GT-6 for all my effects. It doesn't give any annoying buzz or cut off like my Strat does. The treble pick-up just plain rocks; I use that mostly. The neck pick-up is a little too deep for me. It has a great clean sound and a crunch that's just as good. With the toggle Switch in the front and middle positions it gives a nice warm, deep sound. In the back/treble position it's a little twangy but doesn't ruin the sound, unlike my Strat. The Strat is just a piece of shit as you can tell. When distorted, it can either be deep or high; whatever floats your boat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fine at the factory and was perfect when I got it. Or so I thought. The toggle Switch only made two sounds instead of three, but that was fixed with ease for only 10 bucks. The pick-ups were fine, but i raised both a little bit just to make it louder. I like noise =). The only flaw the guitar had was the toggle Switch and the input kept coming loose but a good tightening with needlenose pliers fixed that right up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played live with this guitar a few times, once along with my *cough* Strat *cough* cause I was into punk. At that show I forgot my stand so I set the PRS in a chair. Halfway through it fell out of the chair, but regardless I had to use it for a few songs and it didn't go out of tune and it sounded great. All my guitar's have taken a beating. This one's been dropped, slammed into a wall countless times (though in it's bag), and like I said, fell out of a chair. My Strat was dropped once by a friend and it sounds like shit now. It used to be awesome. Strap buttons are good, never loose. The Tremonti is a very dependable guitar. It sounds great and almost never goes out of tune. I would never do a gig without a backup but if I didn't have one this guitar would do just fine. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, this guitar is a good match for the music I play. I've been playing for about 5-7 years (I can't remember when I first picked up a guitar). I also own a Strat that I tend to complain about a lot, a Danelectro (don't know what model, was my first guitar), an old Telecaster and Fender elec/acoustic, both bought at yardsales for very nice deals, a Peavey Envoy 110 amp, and a Bradley bass that I don't play much. I would never lose a guitar, only a true idiot could lose a guitar, but if it were stolen first I'd cry. Then I'd look at getting another or a Gibson; but I love this guitar so much that I'd get another one. The only thing I wish was different was that it looked like a Vampire, I think B\.C\. Rich makes 'em. Those things kick ass. The toggle Switch was the only flaw that came with it. Other than that, this is a great guitar. // 8

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: fuelrocker, on october 24, 2003

Purchased from: Dave Philips Music & Sound

Features: 2003, 22 frets, made in Korea, Solid mahogany body. Electronics feature high-output naked humbuckers, 3-way switching, and a volume and tone knob for each pickup. Carved bound mahogany body, One-piece mahogany neck, Bound rosewood fretboard, 10in radius, comes in pure black or Platinum finish. It is a single cutaway. Headstock Bound with Tremonti SE logo, PRS designed Stoptail, PRS designed non-locking tuners and includes a PRS Cordura gig bag-retail value 109.00. // 10

Sound: A sleek and affordable signature model for Creed fans. If you want that Creed-lead sound it is a great sounding guitar. It delivers great power, and has an unique sound. I personaly use a Line 6 flexitone II which just adds and makes the sound even stronger, but it sounds unbelievable on any amp. It is very clean and rich, not to messy. Similar to most of the other Paul Reed Smith guitars, but at a very affordable price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything comes properly placed, no flaws, so you dont need to make those extra adjustments. The body and neck are very similar to the Mark Tremonti Model but without the Mother of pearl bird inlays and Special Mark Tremonti 12th fret inlay. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Great for live playing, grabs the attention of the audience. The finish was done Beautifully, it Definitely can withstand those long and constant shows. Every piece of hardware is tight and dependable enough to use at a show without a back up, but even the best designed equipment for musicians come with their flaws, so I would not recommend playing any show without a back-up, no matter what guitar you are using. // 10

Overall Impression: I love using this guitar I prefer it over my Strat because of the great sound quality. It can dish out a loud and heavy sound or a light chorus. It is a great Guitar for Hard Rock. I have wanted a PRS guitar for the longest time but never could save up enough to even get an used one. As soon as I saw Mark Tremonti playing this beautiful guitar I new I had to get one. I love the unique sound that Tremonti has, and now I have a piece of his sound at an affordable price. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: tea_party_freak, on december 01, 2004

Features: This model was made in 2002, and is a absolutly beautiful guitar. It is specifically designed to Creeds (& Alter Bridge's) Mark Tremonti's specifications. It is Mahogany body with Maple binding, mahogany neck, and indian rosewood fingerboard. It has 2 volume, 2 tone, and 3 way selecter swich, very similar to a Les Paul. It has Mark's custom designed pick-ups, and has the hottest, warmest piskups PRS offers. It has PRS locking tuners and comes with a PRS custom case and other things depending on the dealer. Avalible in black, and platinum. It also has patented PRS bird inlays and a Mark Tremonti inlay on the 12th fret. // 8

Sound: This guitar has a very warm, brown sound, very suited to hard rock and metal. Personally, I think it sounds best through a Mesa/Boogie Dual-Rec or a Recto-verb, as the rectified high gain goes very with the guitars soul sound. I like to use Morley Wah, Octaver (Boston Freak), and a DigiTech Whammy 2. Unfortunatle, the guitar only comes with a stopbridge, so no whammy bar is avalible. The guitar also has a slight brightness in the screashing solos, due to the maple binding. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly from the factory, perfect truss, locking tuners in order, little adjustment needed, I had to raise the low end of the bridge slightly, but that is my personal preference to have higher action on the lower strings. My main complaint was the guitar had a small chip in the back just on the edge, but it was a dealer flaw, not a manufactural flaw. But overall very, very nicely set up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar, is black. What can I say, it collects dust and finger prints and scratches inevetibly. I have played live with it before, and it is very reliable. Heavy (about the weight of a Les Paul Standard) but playes very nicely. The strap buttons are very solid, never a thought of slipage. I would definately play at a gig without a backup, but it's good to be prepaired. The finish seem like it is going to last, but I've only had it for about 4 months, so it's hard to tell. I actully played live with it the day after I bought it, only playing for maybe 10 mins at the dealer with no amp in my hotel room. Thats how much I trust it's durribility. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, soft rock, everything from blues to classical. I have multiple guitars, so I use this guitar mostly for my rock, metal and hard rock. I have been playing for a few years, I own a crappy amp, soon to be upgraded to a Mesa so the days of the preamp and PA are over. I wish I had of asked how to use the dam locking tuners before I bought it! They are the best things in the world. Once you figure them out! If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy another one, cause I would kill myself. My favourite feature, is it's sound and physically, the patented PRS bird inlays, and the Mark Tremonti inlay on the 12th fret. That was a mush then PRS shopping. No more moons. Comparing this product to a Les Paul, as many do, is like comparing California oranges, to Flordia oranges. They are both great, it's simply your preference. I happen to like PRS's and Boogies over Les Pauls and Marshalls, just because I can, not because one is better than the other. Not to say that the products necessarily go hand in hand, but commonly they do. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2004

Features: This is the "budget" version of the PRS Mark Tremonti signature model, manufactured in Korea. It features a mahogany Singlecut body, 2 humbuckers controlled by a les-paul style 3-way pickup selector. Separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, nice thick maple neck with mother of bowling ball inlays, non-locking tuners. Pretty much what yuo'd expect from a model in this price range. At face value it's a Les Paul Copy with a few differences. Upon closer examination, these differences are quite crucial to the Tremonti SE obtaining it's individuality; the mahogany body and PRS pickups are the best features, but nothing earth-shattering. // 6

Sound: Target markets for signature models are pretty obvious. If you're a creed fan, you'll love the low-end nosebleed grind that this is capable of, as well as the gentle harmonic clean sounds that it also relishes. If you're a rich creed fan, you should aim for the higher end Mark Tremonti model. It'll cost you at least an extra 1000 most places though. This is also a great guitar for those browsing the epiphones that want something a bit different. This guitar has, in my opinion, superior pickups to the epiphones in the same price range. The bride pickup is quite bassy, and sounds beautiful clean with a hint of gain. It does it's thing best with the gain turned high though, and produces satisyfying chugs and exhilirating lashes and swells all in good measure. Crucially for fans, it produces a great One Last Breath impression. The neck pickup is even better. It's capable of a very accurate Sweet Child o' Mine, and really sings when it's playing a lead break of any kind. Fuzzy Muse-esque distortions and honking blues/funk tones are all taken care of in this little baby. This axe can get a little muddy and lacks clarity in some cirumstances, but still impressive for this price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I played this guitar for the first time, I really was amazed at how playable it was, even though I wasn't used to playing on such a thick neck. The action is just right for me, not so low that an amoeba couldn't fit through it, but it never feels to high either. I raised the pickups slightly, because I prefer the clean channel to break up a bit when you pick hard, but I'm sure most players will find the factory settings of this guitar just fine. The black finish is immaculate, as is the tasty white edgework and the neck. The one beef I have about the build of this axe is the nut. It looks like a replacement (I know it's not, I've seen the same nut on all guitars of this model). It's bulky and uncomfortable when you're playing barre chords low down the neck or playing in any F scale. I guess I've got used to it now, but it's a shame that such an all round class act should be tainted by a niggle like this. Would have given it an excellent otherwise. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Every part of the guitar looks solid and dependable. Mine has withstood live playing, although hardly extensive or gruelling. I would just about play live with this and no replacement, as I've had no hint of a problem so far. It scratches kinda easily though, but I dont worry about that and from a distance no-one will notice. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk rock, grunge, hard rock, sometimes some reggae or blues for a change. This axe works just fine under all these genres. Its sound is quite versatile, but those with very eclectic playing tastes or session players may want a multi FX unit to go with it. Then again, session players probably wouldn't use this, and would already have lots of effects. Oh well. I've been playing around 3 years now, and I've owned this for 4 months. I've settled into it nicely and I use it as my main guitar in any playing situation. I play it through an Ashdown Peacemaker 40w combo and a Boss ME-50 multiFX unit. couldn't be happier with my rig. If it were stolen or lost, I'd very likely buy another, but I'd be tempted by the new SE soapbar that's just come out. Fickle. // 8

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2012

Purchased from: Someone that needed money

Features: 2004 Korea. SE Tremonti solid black. Stop tail (tune o matic) bridge, Les Paul Setup (3 way selector on the top arch and 2 vol/2 tone below the bridge). Flight Case. USA Tuners, and USA Tremonti bass and treble pickups. The music store I work at did all the set up and pickup replacement, so they guy had almost 1200 dollars in it. He sold it to me for 275.00 cause he needed the money. // 10

Sound: Better than the LP Standard. I have put it through a Fender Frontman 25 and 212 reverb and a 1968 Silverface Bassman Head. I have also gone straight into a pa. I have road tested it on a 1973 Marshall JCM800 half stack and oh lordy does it scream and cry at the same time. I haven't ever owned a guitar this perfect in my life. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Solid black gloss. I did my own set up and it took about 15 minutes just because I put GHS Boomer 10's on it and took off the slinky 11's (however those are great strings). No flaws at all and the neck fits like a glove. The fretboard is way faster than I need since I am a rhythm player. But amazing action. Don't have to press at all and almost plays itself. It was flawless... 1 little scratch that you can't see without holding up to the light and looking close. No noise from the pickups and faders are like butter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have put this guitar to the test and it still stays in tune better than the LP. I love the Les Paul but it's also twice as heavy as this one. I will gig with it anywhere at anytime without question. I just hope I don't have to use my backup. I just can't say enough good things about it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played for 28 years and professionally some of it. I have had a BC Rich Mockingbird, Les Paul Standard Plus, 68 sunburst Les Paul, Telecaster, etc etc etc. And the others sit on stands watching me play the Tremonti. I like it a hundred times better than the standard single cut out now from PRS. However, if you have a PRS... You have one of the best guitars ever made. You can't go wrong... Go get one and try it! // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: dkennedy88, on august 14, 2012

Features: My parents bought me this 2002 PRS Tremonti SE in gloss black finish, for my 16th birthday in 2004. I'd been lusting after this for awhile, seeing how my favorite guitarists at the time all played PRS (Dan Donegan, Pete Loeffler, Mark Tremonti, Chad Kroeger, etc.) and my love of the Singlecut body style. Obviously I couldn't afford the US-made Tremonti model, so I decided I'd be fine with the SE. Eight years later, I still own the guitar and play it regularly. The Tremonti SE is crafted from a wide-fat mahogany neck, set into an all-mahogany body that is thinner than most single-cutaway designs, resulting in better comfort and weight relief. The bound rosewood fretboard has 22 medium-jumbo frets and dot inlays (newer Tremonti SEs have bird inlays) with a 25" scale - somewhere in between a Gibson and most Fenders. The electronics consist of 2 open-coil humbuckers designed by PRS, with volume and tone for each pickup and a 3-way pickup selector switch; for the most part this is laid out very similar to a Les Paul. The strings pass over a compensated wraparound bridge based on its American counterpart, and are held in tune by PRS-branded non-locking tuners. // 7

Sound: Like the artist it was named for (Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge and Creed), this guitar was made for hard rock. The absence of a maple top imparts a specific warmth to the guitar, enabling it to lend itself well to many genres: rock, metal, blues, and even to some extent, jazz. The stock pickups were better than most in this price range, giving a crunchy yet well-rounded sound perfect for high gain, but able to clean up nicely. However, the pickups were somewhat hindered by the noisy, scratchy potentiometers. These electronics were replaced by EMGs three years later, which made this guitar scream, but took away from the versatility of the instrument. In early August 2012, the EMG system was removed and in its place were brand new potentiometers, as well as a different pair of the same stock humbuckers. With this setup, the Tremonti SE has become something of a toneful beast. Tonally, it doesn't have the low end of a Les Paul or the spank of a Strat or Tele, but sits somewhere in the middle. Running it through my rig (Randall RH150G3 head through Marshall 1960A cab, with Line 6 PODXT), the bridge pickup made aggressive modern rock rhythm tones easy (again, this a Tremonti signature, albeit lower-end), in addition to dishing out a variety of different lead styles. While crunchy and nowhere near dull, the bridge pickup is never shrill or icepick-like; instead it gives a very well-rounded tonality and a soulful sustain. The neck pickup is very warm and has a very creamy feel to it, while not muddy, very akin to the "woman" tone or a Santana-type smoothness. It also lends itself well to bluesy-rock soloing (think Slash). Cleans (using my POD) are lively on either pickup, thus adding more to the equation in terms of versatility. The neck pickup is especially smooth while clean, in fact almost jazzy, while the bridge pickup can provide some nice sparkly (but not jangly) tones. I can safely say it more than handles the hard rock/alt-metal I play, in addition to being able to hold its own with most genres (except country in some instances). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up was by far the best I've seen from a guitar of this price point. The action was low and easily playable right out of the gate, with no uneven or rough frets. Finish was absolutely flawless. The main issue I've ever had with the guitar is the bridge. The compensated bridge is designed for use with .009s or .010s in standard tuning, and heavier gauges and/or drop tuning tends to result in intonation issues. There are no adjustable saddles, just adjustment along the posts. Most replacement adjustable wraparound bridges tend to result in high action, due to their higher profile. I replaced the bridge eventually with a Pigtail bridge, which is similar to the TonePros wraparound bridge, but has a lower profile allowing lower action. I've had no problem staying in tune (to Drop B using a .012-.056 set, with a .024 wound G string) with this bridge. The tuners are nothing to rave about, but do their job, with no significant tuning issues. There are better on the market, but also far worse. The controls were very scratchy, and a thorough cleaning did not remedy this. I've played other PRS SEs (I own 3 others) that do not have this problem though, so maybe I got a bad one. Either way, the pots were replaced. Still, a better set up guitar than almost all in its price range. I've actually played higher-end guitars with worse issues. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank. After eight years of touring, it can handle lots of abuse. This guitar was my #1 for many years. It's fallen off of guitar stands, it's been thrown around in trailers, it's survived floods (seriously!). The only things that didn't hold up were the bridge and tuners. Between sweat, wear, travel, and being drenched in the rain, the plating on the stock bridge wore off and the metal corroded, making it eat right through strings daily. One of the tuners broke off at the button during a collision onstage with another band member, and thus were replaced. The strap buttons were replaced immediately with Dunlop Straploks (like on all of my guitars). All things considered, this is one trooper and workhorse of a guitar. As a touring musician though, I will NEVER gig without a backup, because you never know what can happen. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar fits most of what I play like a glove. I've been playing for 10 years, and own a Sunburst 2009 PRS SE Singlecut Trem (my new #1), a White 2011 PRS SE Singlecut, a Cherry 2005 PRS SE Soapbar II, a 2004 Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom HH, a heavily modded 1991 Fender Strat, and a Flying V I built myself. This guitar is easily in the Top 3 of all of my guitars. After owning it and playing it for the better part of a decade, I think I can make a better assessment of the instrument than a first impression. If stolen, I would replace it, without a doubt! As far as hardware, I'd rather the guitar come stock with a fully intonatable bridge, since most modern rock guitarists like to tune down and use heavy strings. Otherwise, the only thing I'd change would be cosmetics: for example more finish options, and cream accents on the black finish (as opposed to black pickup rings on black finish). This guitar, like most PRS SE models, blow other guitars in its price range out of the water; and hold its own even among the lower-end USA Gibsons. // 8

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Purchased from: Rondenelli music and audio

Features: 2003 22 frets solid-top 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, 3 way selector dual humbucking pickups mostly mahogany platinum (silver) finish Singlecut bodystyle adjustible tail peice non-locking tuners with prs logo wide-fat neck included nice gigbag with prs and big se logo on front // 10

Sound: It fits my style of music perfect, I like rock to hard rock (Linkin Park, Godsmack, Creed, etc.) You can get all the good deep rich rock sound out of it like you could a $2000 Gibson. I use a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX and a Peavey 4X12 cab. I like everything about it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up perfectly, it just needed to be tuned otherwise it was plug-n-play. Everything was pre-adjusted. No flaws except the plug in for the cord comes loose easy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never used it live but I play hard and nothing comes loose or gets scratched. strap sticks tightly. Very dependable. I wouldn't use any guitar without a backup, just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and it matches well. I have been playing for about 4 years. I also own an off sideline brand Fender imatation. I would replace uit if I had to. I love the sound. My favorite feature is the head stock, how it comes to a point. I wish it had the bird inlays otherwise it is perfect. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: Einzigerfan03, on june 28, 2004

Features: - 22 frets - 2 volumes 2 tones - Mahogany body - Singlecut model with non locking tuners. // 10

Sound: Now this is where this guitar just shines the sound out of this is amazing. This thing can do go from nu-metal riffs to jazzy leads. I mean no matter what effects or amp you're using this guitar sounds amazing. This sounds better then most other PRS I've played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is on point. The action is just fine. There are no flaws on the body as far as the eyes can see. For a SE model this doesn't look like one in person ignore the internet pictures because they don't compare when you see them in person I'm telling you this thing looks like a regular PRS. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is my second guitar. (My 1st being a Santana SE) and this SE looks like it will take a beating stay in tune and then some. The strap buttons havent come loose yet. If I had to I would definitely gig with this guitar without a backup. This is by far my most dependable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best overall guitar PRS has to offer and it cost less then a Santana SE and any PRS yet. I would say to anybody starting or just wants a PRS then definitely get this and like I've said before ignore the internet pic's because they don't match to the in person look. But musically this thing suits my style. (I play more nu-metal but I do have jazz roots). If this where stolen I'd kill whoever stole it. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2004

Features: My Tremonti is a 2004 model Platinum. I had to order it in specially because there were none in the store. It was well worth the wait. As it came out of the box, it was enclosed in the best quality gig bag I have ever seen. At least half an inch of padding all round, and roomy pockets on the front. The body and neck are made of mahogany (very sweet neck). The twin humbucker pickups, made by PRS are among the best I've ever played in my 8 years of guitar, although aesthetically they could do with covers like on the Tremonti signature. Each pickup has individual tone and volume control, and they are comtrolled by a three way selector Switch. The tuners are PRS non-locking, and even so they hold their tune really well. // 10

Sound: My music style ranges over just about everything, and the guitar sounds just as good I'm one department as it does in another. I play in through a Zoom GFX-707II pedal into an ancient Samick LA-10 amplifier, and despite the age of the amp the sound is great. You name it, this guitar can not only play it, but play it well. Especially good palm mutes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar except for some minor (and I do mean minor) blemishes in the paint. These can't be noticed unless you actively search for them, and even then not always. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for at least 3 months now, and it hasn't been broken or damaged yet. The pick hasn't even left any marks on the paint. The strap buttons are huge, and there is almost no danger of dropping the guitar unless your strap has had the hole worn out really well. Mine was getting there, so I bought a new one (Muso's Corner as well, if you're ever in Newcastle check it out) and actually had trouble getting it over the button: that's how big they are. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play all kinds of music, and this guitar is a perfect match for me. However this is not to say that it can't specialise in one area: it doesn't sacrifice performance for a range of abilities, and that is the best thing about this guitar. After 8 years of playing, this is the first new guitar I've bought, and if it were stolen I'd walk straight back into the shop and buy a new one. Come to think of it, I would probably buy another one even if it weren't stolen/lost/broken, just because it's that good. I would like to see on this guitar, though: - Pickup Covers - Locking Tuners - A greater range of paint selection - 24 frets instead of 22 // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Made in 2003 in Korea, 22 frets. Neck thru, fat&fast neck w/low action. Mohogany, satin black finish, binding all around. Single cutaway. PRS bridge. I changed out the pickups for Tremonti PRS pickups (1 covered and 1 exposed) humbuckers but the SE pickups were OK. 2 tone, 2 vol. PRS tuners. Came with gig bag. Overall very cool, for the cash I paid this axe kicks ass. // 10

Sound: I mainly use it for rock and metal, but its got a beautiful clean tone as well! It's very versatile and suits my styles well. I'm using Peavey XXL 2-12 amp and DigiTech GNX3 for FX. The SE just has a great sound, its my main guitar now, The tone is there from clean and warm to modern disto and the tremonti pickups just bring it out all the more. The guitar seems to have a distinct voice depending on the type of strings you use too. Now to be critical, theres some crackle in the vol pots that Ill have to fix. There is some feedback from the bridge pickup when in high gain but the Tremonti pickups are tightly wound too. Other than that its quiet, that's all I got. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low and geat for fast solos, I had the Tremonti PRS pickups installed by a pro, bridge and intonation is fine. The guitar is fine except theres a little crackle when turning the volumes, I'll have to get this fixed if not replaced that kinda sucked, but other than that its all good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is solid, so is the hardware and strap buttons, I can depend on this anytime and would have it live but I would have a backup for a gig just because of the volume pots. The finish is just beautiful as long as its kept clean. // 8

Overall Impression: The SE is a good match for me because of its quality tone, depth of its distortion and warm clean sound. I've palyed for 9 years, this guitar is light and fast to play. My favorite. I also own 535Q Wah, Digitech GNX 3, Peavey XXL amp. If it were lost/stolen I am positive I would go the distance to get another. I love the tone, the neck thru body, the single cutaway is awesome, my favorit feature is the wide speedy neck. The only thing I hate is the volume crackle BS. I only compared it to the other guitars I have (Gibson SG and ESP Hammet). This guitar is way different from either of these, but after I had played the PRS for a while I loved it, it has everything I need. Just awesome. // 8

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2005

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: Single cut PRS now discontinued. Solid mahogany body features subtle and sumptuous carved lines framed by precision binding and dressed with a lustrous finish. The one-piece mahogany neck plays fast and smooth with a bound rosewood 22-fret fingerboard. Electronics feature high-output naked humbuckers, 3-way switching, and a volume and tone knob for each pickup. Gig bag included. - Body: mahogany with white binding - Neck: mahogany - 22 fret - 10" radius - Bound rosewood fretboard - Wide-fat neck carve only - Headstock: bound with Tremonti SE logo - Hardware: PRS designed Stoptail - PRS designed non-locking tuners - Electronics: PRS designed humbucking pickups - 3-way toggle pickup selector - 2 volume controls - 2 tone controls - Finish: platinum - Extras: comes with deluxe gig bag. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great for punk rock and definitly Alter Bridge and Creed. The guitar is best in distortion, very good at soloing. With the 2 volumes and 2 tones you can get a wide variaty of sounds. I compared it with my friends SG and it is better. The neck playes smoother and just feels more pro. The sound is more heavy and better for distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly. The only problem was that it came with a slight problem. The guitar didnt work in bridge pickup position or with both of the pickups on it only worked on the neck pickup. This was due to a loose wire in the back and was fixed by just a reposition of the wire. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After the guitar was 'fixed' I giged it without a backup and it broke! The same thing happened as before. The pickups weren't picking up! I had to fix it again and have giged it many more times after that and it's fine now. // 6

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar and the only flaw is I got a dodgy one. I could have changed my silver one for a black one but I wasnt going to do that. Silver is the colour I want! I can't knock the guitar just because mine is a bit dodgy so if it wernt this is what I have based my overall impression on. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: Hodgie2020, on july 05, 2005

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: Single Cut glossed black body, with gloss back neck. 2 humbucking passive pickups woundslightly more tightly to give a bit more of a an edge. Tone control for bridge pick up and for volume. Deluxe gig bag. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal and rock and this guitar suits me to the ground, the guitar has beautiful tone. I use it through my JCM 2000 with a Wylde overdirve for leads and it sounds fantastic. The tone is thick and bright and te solos cut through the rest of my band perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall from the factory the guitar was more or less perfect, I adjusted the action a little bit to suit me but that's just because I am fussy. Other than that you could take it out the box and more or less gig with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely was made for live playing. I use it at every gig and it has never let me down and I cant see it ever letting me down to be honest. It's lightweight and durable and makes it perfect for on stage, unlike the hefty Les Pauls, this guitar is half the weight and plays just as well. Certainly designed for the stage. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for me, I like the harshness of its distorted tones along with its warmth and brightness. The guitar looks speactacular and professional, and plays easily as well as the les paul and the mccarty. It's probably my favourite guitar I have ever played, it's everything I want and need. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2005

Sound: This guitar comes out with and all around sound. It plays almost all styles above average, and excells in the heavier sounding styles of music. I prefer to play softer rock that rolls into a harder rock and it fits my style almost perfectly, but I would like a smoother sounding treble pickups. I play through a Line 6, which I purely bought out of recomendation, and I have played it through a Roland Jazz Classic. The tones come out warm, and can be altered simply by changing your volume and tone control to a darker, moodier sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used from guitar center. Actually, my parents were there looking for a new guitar for my dad, and were telling the retailer that I liked to play Creed, so he showed them the guitar. It came off the truck that day, so he simply sold it to them for 350. The way I got the guitar, the top strings were a little high, but it was easily adjusted to my preferences. The black finsih has to be constanly maintained, not because it wears, but because it is black and becomes smudged easily. A quick polish every now and then makes it look as good as new. The only problem with the electronics is that it cracks when the tone controls are turnedm which is fixed easily enough. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this guitar for a little over three months now had have no problems what so ever with it. That comes to a great surprise to me because I am not the most gentle with things. The first guitar that I owned, a Cort, simple fell apart from the abuse. The neck split and the pickups don't work and the input jack is always loose. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm almost sure that it won't let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: I have gone through quite a few guitars since I stared playing. I feel almost spoiled to own this guitar, and feel as though I robbed guitar center. I've played the higher end PRS models, and while lacking the other features that I'm sure add to the value, have found this guitar to play almost as well. I am quite pleased with my bargain of a find. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2006

Purchased from: EBay

Sound: I like to keep things short, so simply, this guitar can suit any style of music. I play anything from AC/DC to Slipknot, and especially Creed/Alter Bridge so this guitar is very flexible in the sound department. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used, but when I got it all it needed was a fresh pack of D'Addario 10's and it was ready! The pickups sound really good, probably since they're not the stock pickups and probably upgraded to Gibson or PRS pickups. Since it was used, there is a few dings on it, but that's not PRS's fault. The marks arent really noticable unless your paying good attention to the body, so other than that it is flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I could gig with this guitar for years, thats what is wonderful about PRS guitars, American or Korean, is that they play twice as good as any other guitar out there. The hardware is durable and could last for a long time. The strap buttons are tight and have not come loose yet. I would defenately gig this guitar without a backup, but only if I had a better amp XD. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play anything from oldschool rock to Heavy Metal, and this guitar suits them all. I have been playing for about 2 years, and currently have a Crate amp head and 4X12 cab, Digitech "The weapon" and Grunge pedals, and a Morley Mark tremonti Wah. I also have a PRS Santana SE, Jay Turser JT50, and a Lyon by Washburn Dan Donegan LDD10. If this guitar was stolen, I would curl up in the feeble position and cry for a bit, then go buy another one. I love everything about this guitar, from the beautiful finish to the versatle playing styles to the comfortable feel the PRS always gives. I don't hate anything about this guitar, it is perfect to me. My favorite feature is probably the Les Paul like volume/knobs and Switch that can basically give anything from an awesome high tone to blues-like lows. I compared this to the Gibson Les Pauls and I chose this one for a few reasons. 1) It is MUCH lighter than a LP. 2) The volume/tone knobs are placed more convieneint for me. 3) I fully support and self-promote PRS guitars. 4) Gibson sued PRS for the LP design like the greedy SOB's they are and lost! Basically my opinion: PRS = awesome better value, Gibson = lame, overrated, overpriced, and declining quality. Give me a '56 Goldtop over one of their new ones anyday! But a PRS Singlecut with gold finish is still better! The only thing I wish I could get for my Tremonti SE is a tribal decal or paintjob like Tremonti has on his. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on june 22, 2006

Sound: I mainly play rock and metal, every once in a while some blues. It handles all of them without me having ot do anything to the guitar. I just change my settings on my amp. I have had three different tunings on my guitar, and it has hanled all of them wihtout going out of tune for about a week. The pickups are wonderful. The Neck pickup is mainly for clean parts, and I use it to solo. My favortie pickup. I only use the bridge pickup for rythym in distortion. The clean sound is not that great, but otherwise, great pickups. This baby can make any sound in a solo, pinch hamronics, a harmonics, hammer ons and pull offs, even sweeping, all wihtout getting too clumped. No matter what you play, it should sound clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low when I got it. But that was fine because it wasnt too low. So nothing too complain about there. The tunings were tight so they could keep the tuning better, just amazing how well it worked. The pickups were in perfect position, screwed in tight. I got it with no scrateches, dents, or anything. I have put one in though. The black and cream color looks great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can stand anything. The strap buttons are wide so only have one strap on this guitar, never take it off. The strap will be a pain to takeoff because the strap buttons are so wide and tight, big reliability there. The finish on the guitar is magnificent, the paint has even been close to waring off. Even if yo put a sticker then take it off, nothing will happen. Live playing is great. It doesn't lose the sound or tuning even with the change in temparature. The hardware hasnt failed me yet and it wont. This is one reliable guitar // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches all styles of music, and it wont lose its sound. I own an Ibanez RG and it has had many problems, it looks like a piece of crap next to this baby. I have had this guitar for a year, hasnt failed. If I lost this guitar, I would never forgive myself. Its too good of a guitar to lose. My favortie feature has to be my neck pickup. I love it and use it all the time. One thing I wish ot had was 24 frets, but it doesnt matter that much. I actuall was going to buy a Goldtop Gibson, but this guitars sound was like none other. The playing was also alot better than the Gibson. Overall, you will get attached to this guitar like I have, and you will love it, a perfect guitar. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: foofighter2007, on december 11, 2007

Features: The PRS Temonti SE is made in korea. It features a 22 fret rosewood fret board on a solid mahogany neck and body. Aside from the lack of PRS signiture birds, grooves for the knobs and the PRS signiture the guitar looks the same as it's American twin. It has a HardTail bridge and passive electronics, also a 3 way pickups selector and 2 tone, 2 volume knobs. Temonti comes with a gig bag (good quailty). // 8

Sound: I play grunge, hard rock, modern rock, classic rock, jazz and much more. This guitar has amazing bass and a modern tone but also fits classic rock. It does not however pickup the high strings well enogh for jazz. The stock pickups are moderatly high output but don't have much crunch on the neck. Little diffrentce between using the neck and bridge and just neck is a major thing I noticed. Clean the gutar is very versital, toned down it gets a very blusy mix and when cranked to the max you get a harsh matalic sound. With volume lowered the guitar is able to pick up some good acoustic sounding chourds. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me in perfect set-up. playablity on this guitar is amazing. I did not have any problems with the guitar when I purchased it. It keeps tune well aside from in harsh climate (as expected) and even after many trips to the beach it still hasent rusted at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is suprising well built for its cost. whenver I pick it up it feels like the real PRS's (aside from weight). The guitar gathers dust and shows it very easly becasue it is jet back. when properly cleaned it's very shiny though and looks amazing. I have had no problems mechanicly with the guitar and would defidenlty gig with it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play the Tremonti through a Traynor tube amp set to darker tones. The bass and sustan I can get out of this guitar is remarkable. I plan to replace the pickups for the american ones (probibly 7's) becasue I would like a more clean tone with more depth but for 500 bucks this thing is great. If I were to buy a guitar for this price range again I would probibly go with a Singlecut for the maple top though. All Alter Bridge/Creed lovers out there thouhg should defidently buy this guitar. // 8

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 17, 2008

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Sound: I play rock and metal, and there is no other guitar that I like more than this one. Period. This guitar goes from warm to bright to crunchy in no time flat, and suites all of my needs. I've played a lot of different guitars including Strat's, Les Pauls, SG's, Flying V's, Dean ML's, and I can honestly say this is the most versatile guitar I've ever used. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came from AMS adjusted perfectly! In fact, not only was the guitar set up (pickups and action) perfectly, but it was in tune perfectly! It takes a lot of hard work to make this guitar slip out of tune, but when it does, the tuners are easy to maneuver quickly and are smooth like butter. Awesome setup! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is one tough guitar. It may feel lighter than your Gibson, but if dropped I would guarantee it would outlast it. I've dropped mine one time and you can't tell, there are no marks from the fall, amazingly! I changed to locking strap buttons, but the ones that we're on there were def. solid. I would use it without a backup, but that would be stupid do do in any sense because everything has that minor chance of not working or getting broken. // 10

Overall Impression: I plan on getting the Tremonti Treble pickup and Dragon II neck pickup for the guitar, only because I want to see if I can really make this animal scream. This guitar is perfect in every way shape and form. If this guitar got stolen, I wouldn't be able to afford another one because I would be paying fines from tracking down and beating the tar out of whoever stole it. I play this guitar through a Crate GLX 1200 head and halfstack (pretty nice bedroom rig) with a Tremonti Power Wah and Boss Metal Zone MT-2. I am, overall, 100% satisfied with this guitar, and baby the hell out of it. May be cheap in price, but you get much much more than you pay for! // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: Tayron27, on february 05, 2010

Purchased from: musicbits

Features: Made in 2009, and of the same spec as older models. Black in colour and absolutely stunning to look at-and play. Love the volume and tone pots for each pickup and the hardware is sweet. Came with fantastic case, and a big thumps up to PRS for including this aswell as the various tools they throw in(truss rod adsj. Etc)Great tuners and seem to hold quite well. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style all the way across the board.I play(or try yo play!)pretty much any sort of music if I like it. This sounds great whether playing metal, rock or music of the softer sounding variety.I play it into a Peavey Vypyr 30 and it sounds amazing.The bridge pickup gives a lovely clean tone, and add a bit of gain/distortion and this bitch screams! The neck pickup is my favorite-its just amazing. If the PRS Tremonti pick up is like this but much better I may just go out and buy it, if this is anything to go by. I've owned a Ibanez JEM 555, Washburn N2 and a few other guitars and this beats the shit out of the all-even the DiMarzio evos on the Jem didn't compare. The sound is simply amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived beautifully set up and the pick ups etc were fine. The finish is amazing, and the hardware is equally so.I think the birds inlay would have been a nice touch, but hey ya can't have it all when on a lower budget. Another plus point is that this guitar is bloody light, and very comfortable to play-with a fantastic neck profile to boot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I'm only a home player, I can only say so much but I think this could be played in any situation. The hardware will last, I would think the strap buttons would but I'm adding strap locks just for that little bit more reassurance. This is my dream guitar and I'm in love with it. Absolutely gorgeous in every way. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will stay with me for life now. I think I may change the pickups to real Tremonti ones, and that would be it for me. I've played for nearly 20 years and this is the best guitar I've owned in those 20 years. I wish the bird inlays could of been added, but its understandable why they were not. If it were lost, I would cut off the thief nackers with a rusty breadknife. I love everything about this guitar, and the finish and neck pickup are my favorite faatures. As I said before, the best guitar I owned before this was a JEM 555, and this beats that into 1st place. I would only ever let this guitar go, if I were upgrading to a PRS Tremonti Signature model. // 9

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2010

Features: The Tremonti SE has a design inspired by the Les Paul, but with many improvements. Being a former Paul player, I found it very easy to transition to the Tremonti. It felt like my old guitar, only lighter, sleeker, and faster. 22 frets, three-way pickup selector, 2 volume and 2 tone knobs, all should be familiar to the Paul player. Mahogany body, rosewood neck, single cutaway. The volume and tone knobs were arranged differently from the Paul, with the two volumes on top. It's a logical configuration, but took some getting used to. No pick guard, which is an interesting choice. // 8

Sound: I was surprised by the excellent sound of this guitar. To me it sounds very clean and modern, with a slightly unique and beautiful tone. I'm have some EMG's I could drop in, but I'm happy enough that I haven't bothered. I play alternative/metal/new rock mostly in drop C, so this is perfect for my style. The bridge pickup gives a nice, bright, biting lead and shiny rhythm, great for palm muting. Switch to the neck pickup and you get a rich, warm sound that I can only describe as 'liquidy.' The neck pickup is extremely mellow, maybe a little too mellow for some, but it gives my band a fat bottom end on a chorus and does a great job supporting when the other guitarist plays lead. The sound is very clean and accurate. I also have less feedback problems with this guitar. The bridge pickup can be a little thin on clean tones, so you might need some EQ, depending on your style. This guitar could accommodate a range of styles. I've squeezed out some beautiful blues on the neck pickup. Because the tone is so modern and clean, it might not be well suited for gritty classic rock. It's sort of the opposite of a tele or strat. I could see it working well for jazz or metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is one of the easiest, most comfortable guitars I've ever played. The rounded bridge is great for palm muting. The body contours are also comfy, with no hard edges. It's about half the weight of my old Paul, so I can play all night without tiring. The action was incredibly low, right from the store. You barely have to touch a string to get a note. It's effortless. The downside is, it's also unforgiving. The smallest mistakes will be heard. This is a very delicate guitar. It's incredibly light and almost feels like you're playing on air. For me, it's great. I was looking to reduce the weight of my axe, and I wanted low action and a fast neck. I play gently with a lot of precision. If you like rocking hard or banging away, this may not be the guitar for you. It's a delicate flower, not a battle axe. Even so, I play some heavy material, and it works well. This instrument was clearly designed for comfort and precision. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Because of the low weight and incredibly thin body, I worry that the guitar might not be as sturdy as some others. I have dropped it once directly on the body and saw no damage. (Strap locks were installed immediately after that.) It just feels so delicate in my hands. But from what I can tell, it's very well constructed, and I believe it's gig worthy. Tuners and input jack are metal, not plastic like some cheaper models. Considering the low price, you really can't do much better. The finish is excellent, though you will find yourself polishing a lot, as glossy black shows every smudge. The lack of pick guard also means you will accumulate some scratches. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm extremely happy with this guitar, and I recommend it highly. I was surprised to be able to get this much instrument for such a low price. I was on a limited budget of 500 or less, and I tried out almost every budget guitar in the store. Many of them were difficult to play, or the back of the neck wasn't finished. I picked the Tremonti because it blew away other guitars in this price range. I've been playing for 15 years, and I needed an axe that could keep up with shredding leads and complex rhythm patterns. This guitar is so easy to play, the leads feel effortless. I just worry that I'll get spoiled by it, and have a hard time playing other guitars. I would give it a perfect 10, but because it's a budget guitar, I'll give it a 9. If I lost this guitar, I would buy another one without hesitation. As I mentioned, it's great for Les Paul fans, and it's just what I was looking for: a Les Paul with updates. // 9

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: ffaf12, on september 26, 2011

Features: The guitar was made in Korea though I'm not sure when. Its got a mahogany body, PRS stoptail bridge, 22 frets and dot inlays. All features such as tuner pegs and humbuckers are PRS design (which is a great addition on such a reasonably priced model). there's a three way pickup switch in the top left (that's were I like it, I find the lower ones to finickety when in mid play) and 4 tone knobs. In all a great package for a brilliant price! // 9

Sound: I tend to play post-hardcore mainly, but I do also delve in some classic stuff. I first considered a PRS when I realized my favourite band funeral for a friend uses them. The sound is definitely unique, in clean very bright and full, in comparison to my Washburn WI15 it sounds much cleaner and not messy. Even when you ramp up the gain it retains a good intricate sound. I'm yet to play it through a pedal of any sorts, but the 4 tone knobs allow for quite alot of control. The PRS pickups are very good considering the price. The bass pickup is quite fat and warm but you don't loose yourself in a huge crashin mess. Overall very good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really comment on the factory set up as I bought mine second hand, non the less, when it came all was in order despite a few minuscule imperfections to the finish. I noticed a bit of buzz on the low e string, but that was redeemed with no problems. The finish is very nice for a cheap guitar, I had it in white just for something a little bit different and it really does look stunning. The trademark PRS headstock is one of my personal favourites of all time and really lives up to it. The wrap around bridge is not only practical but also looks rather cool aswell. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've barely had it a week so I can't really comment on reliability. I'm yeat to play it live but its nice and light, and I can't see throwing it around on stage as being a problem. I'm keeping a close eye on the jack input however, it seems a little flimsy to me, unless its just a bit of paranoia... In all its holding up so far I'm yet to see the effects of father time. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 and a half years now, so one might call me a bit of a novice. I've had 3 electrics previously (some kinda unknown Telecaster, Gear4Music Metal V, Washburn WI15) but this to be honest supass the lot although the Washburn was the only thing that stood a chance really, lol. It matches my style very well and lives up to the PRS name despite being a cheaper version of a signature model. If it were stolen I probs couldn't get another because I'm skint lol, but if I had the money I'd gt it again if I wanted to go a bit further I'd consider the genuine signature. I was considering a Hagstrom Ultra swede, but it lacked the edge I was looking for. // 9

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: Sum41DudeRob, on november 22, 2011

Price paid: C$ 621

Purchased from: Matt's Music

Features: This Tremonti SE I purchased was made in 2011. It's a singlecut with a Vintage cherry finish, a 25" scale, 22 frets, a wide fat neck, rosewood finger board and non locking tuners. It also has two volume, two tone and a 3 way toggle. It comes with your standard PRS pickups and it was sold to me with a gig bag included. // 9

Sound: The sound is great, I mostly play metal/hard rock and it suits my style perfectly. I tried out an Epiphone Les Paul, an Ibanez ART100 and a Mexican made Telecaster and none of them had the tone of the Tremonti. I play my Tremonti through a Line 6 Spider II 112 and a BOSS DS-1. The cleans are wonderful, it's a very rich/warm tone that none of the other three guitars had. Playing this on a distortion channel was quite an experience. It's got a great chunky tone that sounds especially great when palm muting. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great. No buzz, no scratches or other signs of wear. It's a bit heavy, not as heavy as a Les Paul, but it does weigh a bit and putting it on my knee while playing makes it kinda fall asleep, haha. The only problem I had with this was the tuners. They're not locking and they don't seem to hold the strings in tune very long. I plan to replace these with some locking ones, which I recommend because it does get a bit tedious trying to tune it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't play in a band or anything, but it definitely feels solid enough to play live. The hardware seems fine, except for the tuners and I'd probably replace the strap buttons with strap locks. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal/hardrock and it suits it perfectly. I've been playing for eight years and it's definitely a step up from the Squier I've been playing for years. It's something I'd definitely buy again if stolen. The things I love most about this guitar are the tone and the finish. I was a bit hesitant to buy it at first because from the pictures I've seen on various sites, the finish looked a lot brighter than it actually is. When I saw it in stores, I knew I had to have it. Like I mentioned early, I also tried an Epi Les Paul, a Fender Tele and an Ibanez ART100 and I chose the Tremonti SE because of the tone, the finish and the overall feel of the guitar. I wish it did have active pickups, but the stock passive's are great. // 9

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: richastro, on november 25, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is a Korean made guitar with mahogany body and neck and a rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays. The finish platinum with a plastic cream binding round the body and neck. It has a wrap around bridge and two humbuckers (my bridge is a Seymour Duncan SH-6). The tuners and non locking but work nice and it stays in tune pretty well. The Tremonti is obviously a Les Paul style guitar but lighter and thinner, its comfortable to play and feels nice either sitting or standing. Quite simply it is a Les Paul for those who want a lighter and thinner version, or want to have a PRS for a small price. Simple but effective. // 9

Sound: Despite Tremonti being a heavy rock/metal gutiarist, I actually play blues and rock, and this guitar is perfect for that. I use a Fender Champion 30 DSP. The neck pickup is warm and rolled back can produce sweet sounding santana runs, or a nice jazz tone, but opened up gives a great acoustic strumming tone. The tone knob, unlike many guitars I have owned, actually works from 1-10, giving a gradual change in tone, instead of nothing from 10-3 then muddiness from 3-1. The bridge I have is a Seymour Duncan SH-6, which again is for metal and hard rock but suits blues perfectly. I can actually get a good Lynyrd Skynard tone out of it, and is great for blues suffles. Again the tone knob works great, but mine was slightly crackly meaning the pot needed cleaning, but that's no big deal. Both pickups together gives me a great, out of phase Peter Green tone (think "Need Your Love So Bad"), and can give some nice country tones in there too. I use a DigiTech tube overdrive pedal and don't particularly go for distortion sounds. The neck gives a rich creamy overdrive tone which when pushed can get you into the distortion lands, but cleans up nicely when rolled back on the volume. The bridge pickup is again great on overdrive but if I were a metal player I wouldn't use this, its just not capable of getting the screaming sounds I hear- maybe its my playing, or maybe my Fender can't do it, but it makes no difference to me because I have no need to go there. Overall I love this guitars sound, amazing for the price. I can go from Santana, to Skynard, to jazz, to chuck berry, to satriani, peter green and back again. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was bought second hand so this obviously changes the factory set up, but I don't think it had been played about with too much. At first I was apprehensive about the wrap around bridge as I'm a fan of high action, but it still allows me to highten the bridge, you just haven't got the scope of play compared to a tune-o-matic or trem bridge. Still I love it, it stays in tune and sustains great, so I don't have any problems with it. I haven't had it to bits to change anything, but the wiring seems fine, its grounded fine. The neck is finished great, the frets perfect, the intonation is almost spot on, close enough for me. As for cosmetics the guitar was second hand, you expect a few chips, but the finish is lasting, I'm not one to keep my guitars pristine, and if they get knocked about, then that's part of their life, but I can't say its wearing away. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, but I would certainly take this if I did. Its roadworthy, the straps are solid, the hardware is secure, one thing I can say is there is a slight rattle in the neck pickup when I really pick hard, but is probably something that I can fix quickly. // 9

Overall Impression: For my style of blues and rock this guitar is perfect, and compliments my Strat well. When I fancy a nice fat warm humbucker sound I love picking up this guitar and playing it. I had an Epiphone DotEpiphone Dot, and while that was a beautiful guitar, it doesn't stand up next to the PRS. If it were stolen I would first hunt down those who did it and bash them with my tube pedal (that things like a brick) then buy another. Its a great upgrade for those who want to get serious, or for those lucky ones with a nice first guitar budget. I was considering getting an Epi Les Paul, but I'm pleased I own a PRS. If I were to trade in I think it would be only when I can afford a American made PRS. If you like any type of electric guitar music then this will suit, it can pretty much handle whatever you want to throw at it and will last. It is a pleasure to own. // 10

Tremonti SE Reviewed by: mustaine42, on december 02, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Specs: - Year: 2011 Model - Made: Korea - Frets: 22 - Inlays: Birds - Neck: Wide Fat - Neck Scale: 25" - Wood: Mahogany (Body and Neck) - Finish: V12 - Body Style: Singlecut - Bridge Style: Stoptail - Pickups: 2 PRS SE Humbuckers - 2 Tone and Volume Knobs - 3 Way Pickup selector - PRS Tuners - Gig Bag Included - Truss Rod Adjustor Included I wish a trem had been included so I knocked off 2 points. // 8

Sound: Now that specs are over we can get on with the review. I play everything from classic rock to prog metal. Personally the stock pickups sounded great, which I did not expect at all. The instrument was very well made, which surprised me. I always wanted the full Tremonti model because I like the specs on it, but I couldn't afford it. So I took a chance and got the SE model. It has suited every single style I play so far. I haven't found anything it couldn't tackle. I have changed the pickups to the Tremonti Signature pups because I need something else a bit hotter than the SE pups and the Tremonti's are the hottest ones that PRS has to offer. I use all kinds of amps with this guitar: Line 6, Bogner, Mesa, you name it. The guitar is not noisy, which is why I got it. I had a ESP Viper Deluxe 1000 and that guitar was ungodly noisy. Damn EMGs. Never again. If you play the guitar through a clean channel, it sounds like a higher being has put Tremonti's actual clean tone in your hands (In Loving Memory, One Last Breath, etc). I love the clean tone on that guitar. If you enjoy hard rock or metal, this guitar can handle any sort of hi gain settings you throw at it without sacrificing tone. I didn't expect anything less. If you haven't heard the hi gain riffs Mark plays, listen to White Knuckles or Ties That Bind. It can easily reproduce those sounds without sacrificing clarity. I've been playing a lot of Opeth inspired riffs and acoustic parts on this guitar and it can make that sound as well. I know a lot of your tone comes from your amp, settings, etc, but I really think in Tremonti's case, his guitar has a hell of a lot to do with it. I love the modern rock sound that Alter Bridge has and this guitar can make that sound happen. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had an issue with this part. I got this from Musicians Friend (Never again) because Sweetwater sold out of the 2011 model in like 2 days. There were a lot of muted frets. It has seriously pissed me off since I got the guitar. I've adjusted the truss rod and action and that has slightly helped but not much. I wanted to get it from Sweetwater because they keep the instruments in a climate controlled setting and do a 55 point evaluation and that sh*t wouldn't have flown over there. Also, the nut is awful. If you get this guitar, buy a PRS graphite nut. When tuned down to lower tunings, the nut creaks. For example, say you do a bend on the higher strings, you'll hear creaking sound. I had no idea what it was so I asked a friend who has the guitar. He told me it was the nut and to replace it right away. If not, it keeps creaking and eventually the guitar will not stay in tune. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. I was surprised they sounded as good as they did for SE humbuckers. There were literally no flaws in setup, wood, anything, except the damn nut. That nut and muted frets (Musicians Friend caused that sh*t) are knocking off 3 points. Other than that, it's amazing. Musicians Friend even sent a little piece of paper saying that the guitar most likely had a warped neck due to shipping. I don't know if this is always the case and they ship that with every guitar, but it certainly was warped and no amount of truss rod adjusting did the job. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is rock solid. I've banged this thing against solid wood, glass, etc. Nothing even happens. I once had something awful happen and cringed while watching helplessly. I was sitting on my bed and out of the corner of my eye, I saw something fall. It was my guitar, falling off the stand (frets facing downward)... And onto my concrete floor. The noise it made when it hit the ground was something I'll never forgot. I thought, "I am ****ed. It must have broken." Nothing happened at all. It was still just fine. The hardware is fine. I hate that the chrome does start to fade. My palm rests on the stoptail and it has started to fade. I would definitely use this guitar without a back up. No need for another. My guitar is black and has not begun to fade. I think the finish will last a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I play modern hard rock. It fits perfectly. But if you play anything hard, don't let that stop you. It will be able to handle it. I've been playing around 8 years now. I own a Fender Telecaster, BC Rich Warlock, ESP Viper Deluxe 1000, Goth SG, and two acoustics alongside my PRS. Honestly this had everything I wanted in a guitar (minus the tremolo) so it fits my needs as a musician. If it was lost or stolen: I wouldn't get it again. I'd get the full Tremonti model, because I honestly cannot fathom how PRS can sell such excellent instruments at such low prices (SE Line). I've played a lot of high end guitars and this SE has easily trumped those. I can't imagine how the actual Tremonti sounds and feels. I really liked how smooth the neck was. My ESP wasn't rough at all... But it... Hmm... My hand would get stuck on some parts of it. Hard to explain. The headstock has always looked really cool. My favorite feature isn't a big deal, but the bird inlays are sick. I've put off getting an SE because of the lack of the PRS birds. In 2011 they produced all of them with birds. So then I got one and dropped the Tremonti pups in there. It looks like the real deal. I really wish it had a tremolo with a locking nut. If this guitar came with that, it would be the best guitar I've ever owned. But all in all, this IS my go to instrument. If you've been holding off, don't. It's f***ing awesome. // 9

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review