Horizon Review

6.1
reviews (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Horizon Reviewed by: Invader Jim, on january 21, 2009

Purchased from: Hays Music

Features: This is a Horizon 1, not a Horizon 2. They were made in the USA between '83 and '86. Mine was made in '83, according to the serial. Maple neck and fretboard (both are 2-piece lam), 23 frets with black Dot inlays and micro-tilt adjustment. Nobody knows what the body is made of; I'm thinking poplar. Black gloss finish, Strat-style body shape with longer upper wing for improved upper-fret access. "Dual-blade" rail humbuckers, 1 volume, 2 tones, 3-way Switch; I think it auto-splits in the middle position. Peavey PAF bridge (a Tune-O-Matic/hardtail hybrid), metal set-screw knobs with "P" logo on the top, and Peavey "Tru-Lok" tuners on the old "arrow" headstock shape. The jack bolts in from the inside, so no more loose jack nuts to worry about. // 10

Sound: The dual-blade humbuckers sound quite nice. They are really great with harmonics (attn: Dimebag fans). The cleans are also quite nice. They have a pretty high output. They are dead silent until you start cranking the gain really, really high. The way the thing is wired is odd as far as Strat-style wiring schemes go. The tone pots are more effective than your typical tone controls; it has a wider 'range' for lack of a better term. Pretty versatile. The pots are completely silent; no scratchiness or dead spots what'soever. The "treble-bleed mod" is factory Standard. All caps are ceramic disc instead of the typical poly film. The pots are vintagey 24mm instead of the typical 16mm mini pots. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is ok. I'm having trouble getting used to the micro-tilt/two-point bridge combo (I'm mainly a Strat man). The finish is good and quite tough, but Orange-peeled, but hey. It's old. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable and durable. This thing is 26 years old and looks mint. The screws hadn't even been removed, they were almost frozen. She's been very well taken care of. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought it used (of course) for 150 bucks at the local guitar store. I think it's worth every penny. It sounds great, is well-made, is easy to play, looks killer... what more can you ask of a guitar? // 10

Horizon Reviewed by: scooterson, on december 14, 2010

Purchased from: yard sale

Features: I don't know the year it was made, serial # is 02192629, 24 frets, black in color, rosewood fret board, 4 bolt neck, original Peavey hard case, string thru body, 3 way switch, Peavey registered tuners, two three way switches, two tone knobs, one volume knob. Flat black colored pick ups, double pick up at bridge and neck, single coil in middle. Body style similar to strat. Color of body is black. // 10

Sound: Plays rock and blues great, playing thru a Fender stage 1600 amp, gives a rich sound when I want, but will get down and dirty when I chrunch it. Another thing I like about this guitar is that it will play some of the soft rock, and not be too treble, it gives the deep sound I want and will go straight to the overdrive if I want. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Bought the guitar used, and it played great. No flaws except the guitar had set up in a closet and had to get the scratch out of the pots.the finish was flawless for a guitar that old. I expected there would be buckle rash on the back but there was none. There was no wear in the fret board that I would have expected. It is a real complement to Peavey for the well built products they put out there for us who play music. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar w/o a backup at a gig. The finish has lasted this long and looks new, so no issues here I have no worrys the strap buttons would fail me, this is a solid instrument. I have owned many guitars in my life, and this is one of the most solid that I have put in my hand. // 10

Overall Impression: I like southeren rock and blues and this guitar is great at both. I've been playing for 40 years and I would put this guitar up against many high dollar axes. I would buy another one just like it if it were stolen. I do have a small problem keeping the strings in tune when new strings are installed. I have other guitars and this one ranks up there with the Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Takamine, Yamaha guitars I've owened. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014