HP Signature EX Review

8.6
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
HP Signature EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 14, 2004

Purchased from: Zzound

Features: - 24 3/4" scale, set-neck guitar with a 1-piece maple neck - Ebony fretboard with white synthetic binding on neck - Flame maple veneer top on a 3-piece basswood body - 22 frets - Grover die-cast machine heads with 18:1 ratio, dual torsion rod - Tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece - 2 humbucking pickups - 1 master tone and 2 master volume controls with 3-way Switch - Gold-plated hardware. The basswood body with Maple veneer gives the HP Signature EX guitar the perfect combination of lightweight comfort and sexy looks players desire. Standard features include Grover tuning gears, humbucking pickups and a stop tailpiece with tune-o-matic bridge. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds better than the Epiphone's or Gibson's analogs. This guitar has a very ice and smooth sound with tone pots and can be used with the difference amps. It won't damage so beautiful sound. This guitar covers I suppose all of the music styles: from jazz and blues to grindcore and speed metal. Its sounding satisfy all of the musician. Good job of Peavey. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect. There is no buzz and the action is set very low for easy, fast solos. The tuners work real well and are very smooth and predictable. The frets are not perfectly filed, but there are no rough edges. Hardware seemed fine. Toggle Switch seemed good. The finish was superb except for one spot on the neck binding where the buffer got carried away and buffed the finish down to the binding material. bare wood was exposed from the chisel marks but being inside the cavity and out of sight I won't subtract too many points. Everything else looked good. Nothing was loose and all the dials and Switch feels solid. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Nothing really going wrong with it. Srap buttons appear sturdy. The finish seems thick, the hardware can tarnish in time though. The only problem is the set neck. Seems it's a glue job. But if you care about your baby there won't be any problems. And it's not reasonable to have a backup with so quality instrument. // 8

Overall Impression: It's not an American made custom guitar and shouldn't be thought of as that. 24 3/4" scale makes it easy to bend strings. This is a guitar that actually combine a Stat style with LP features. This thing sounds great and it's all about the sound. This guitar can do all of that except for the blues single coil sound. // 10

HP Signature EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2009

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Class axe guitars- Kemptville

Features: I purchased the Peavey HP signature gold as my first electric guitar. I am not sure where it was made but for three hundred bucks I am sure it was not made in the states. it is the gold finish, very nice, it wears on you, at first I was not 100% sold on the gold but I really like it now. Has two humbuckle pickups, a tuner and a volume control for each pick up. A three way Switch that controls each pickup and the setting in between both pick ups. // 9

Sound: I play rock and country. I purchased a Peavey rage 258 amp with it. it's all the amp I need for now. I think the guitar is more geared for rock but you can twang it up if your a country music player as well. not like a Fender tele but if your a beginner then this guitar will play country music. I tryed a Gretsch special jet, Peavey generation and a Fender squire custom II before deciding to buy this guitar and for the sound and overall quality compared to the others I mentioned I think there is no comparison. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: So far I have not noticed any real problems with the guitar, I tune it everyday and it stays in tune pretty good. You have to consider you are buying a $300 guitar so yes I am sure there is better pick ups out there, yes I am sure there is better sounding guitars out there but for the price range I honestly think it's your best value. Sound great, plays great, looks great.. what more do you want for $300 bucks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play Live gigs so I am no able to say you can do it. I imagine you can but since I have not played a Live gig I will leave that to the guys that do. the hardware is very good for this price range, and the finish is very good. you can get the signature in sunburst and pure black, I like the gold. // 9

Overall Impression: Bottom line is if your looking for a quality guitar in the $300 range then this guitar beats it's competitors. Your going to get different opinions but I love playing this guitar it make me want to play more, as a beginner I think that is the biggest thing. You don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred bucks and not enjoy playing it and it sits there. // 9

HP Signature EX Reviewed by: Johnny Lingo, on april 12, 2010

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: Used - Kijiji

Features: Guitar purchased used on Kijiji for $200 Cdn. in excellent condition. Black gloss finish with gold plate hardware. Made in China, not sure of the year. Features: - 24 3/4" scale, set-neck guitar with a 1-piece maple neck - Ebony fretboard with white synthetic binding on neck - Flame maple veneer top on a 3-piece basswood body - 22 frets - Grover die-cast machine heads with 18:1 ratio, dual torsion rod - Tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece - 2 humbucking pickups - 1 master tone and 2 master volume controls with 3-way Switch // 9

Sound: The guitar has the feel and sound of a Gibson above all. Very Les Paulish with a nice set of humbuckers that give you a good classic rock sound that can pull off metal no problem. Electronics are clean with no noise. Peavey builds a solid guitar all round, and this is a classic example. The guitar has a really nice classic sound to it. A nice full sound with great sustain. A very nice, versatile humbucker guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well when I buoght it used. The action and intonation were able to be set perfectly to my style. Pickups were adjusted fine and the electronics were clean. The finish was good except for a small drip ripple on the back of the neck, not noticable when played. Even from a Chinese factory, the workmanship was what you would expect from a $400+ guitar. I own several pieces of Peavey equipment, and all are very well made and perform as advertised. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Again, one thing you must give Peavey; what they lack in flash they make up for in performance and durability. This guitar was gigged with regularly before I bought it and it was in excellent shape. The hardware was quality and assembled well, again a pleasant surprise from a Chinese built guitar but what you would expect from Peavey in this price range. The guitar is very dependable and would be very versatile for any rock guitarist, without a singe coil option or tremolo, however. Having said that I would never gig without a back up, period. It's unprofessional. // 9

Overall Impression: I have played for over 30 years, primarily classic hard rock and heavy metal. Having said that, I have broadened my horizons quite a bit over the last ten years and appreciate a great playing guitar that has a good clean tone spectrum. This HP Peavey Signature EX is just that kind of guitar. Not flashy or high priced, but a really good guitar that a working musician can appreciate. The best thing about this guitar is the overall quality of build. I finally let mine go to a young friend who wanted to start playing but didn't want to spend a lot or buy a piece of crap. He loves the guitar and actually miss it quite a bit. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014