HP Special USA Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 04/07/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: HP Special USA
It has a 25 and a half scale and 22 frets, with a 3 way pickup selector, while the pickups themselves are two custom-wound Hp special humbucking pickups with a coil split. It has an offset basswood body with a sculpted neck joint, and a fully floating licensed Floyd Rose.
 9.4
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
HP Special USA Reviewed by: neoamir, on april 07, 2009

Purchased from: Music Shop

Features: First of all - don't stare at the price, I had a huge discount - last on stock & from the display window. It costed them more then it had costed me. My Peavey Hp Special USA was made in 2005 in the united states. It is a Van Halen model went better. It has a 25 and a half scale and 22 frets, with a 3 way pickup selector, while the pickups themselves are two custom-wound Hp special humbucking pickups with a coil split. It has an offset basswood body with a sculpted neck joint, and a fully floating licensed Floyd Rose (double locking). It also came with the patent pending Lok Blok system to decide wether you adjust the tremolo to "down oly" or "fully floating". It has one volume and 1 tone knob, both are effective with both pickups. It came with 0.09 strings, but I changed mine to 0.10 for comfort and more powerfull sound, but it sounds amazing with the 0.09 also. It got 6 Enclosed die-cast Schaller tuners on the end of the maple neck. I bought mine with a Black flat top - Carved top costs 300 more dollars. It came with a nice hardshell, and some spare parts (springs and screws). Another volume wouldn't have Hurt the image. // 9

Sound: that's exactly why I bought this guitar - the sound is amazing! I play lots of generes of music - from the Blues Brothers to Leonard Cohen to Pokemon theme song to Children Of Bodom and it is just amazing. It has a full warm clean on the humbuckers, while it enchants every distortion, and it can also get close to that chunky mark knofler sound with the coil tap. It's a bit noisy, but Who cares? Everything is amazing. One more detail that is ought to be mentioned is that this guitar enchants harmonics by 2 if you know how to produce one - a great Peavey "workhorse". I play it through my Fender Frontman 25R amp, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, an Ibanez WD7 Weeping Deemon Wah, and an Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, and it kicks my 17 years old Mexican Strat of the roof. It is a great Solo guitar because the Tone knob I very dominant and you can get a variety of sounds, and it's a great rhythem because of the warm distorted sound, and the amazing clean. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with an amazingly low action - as if god read my mind, and the pickups were well adjusted. I had only one flaw - the tremolo bar missed a screw, but in the shop they hav put a new one, because it was "their mistake". I'm not sure wether they have covered for Peavey, but I believe that Peavey wasn't the bad side. Bridge was set up amazingly accurate. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would have depend on this guitar on a Live show, because I'm not th "wreck you guitar while playing" kind of guy, and it seems pretty solid and protected. It has almost no scratches. And don't worry about the finish - it's your last concern. The strap buttons are unremovable without a vulgar display of power. Or a jackhammer. // 10

Overall Impression: Before Buying this guitar I have tested a large variety of guitars including a Dean Dimebag Razorback Explosion, a Jackson KE3 Kelly, a Jackson Warrior, a Gibson SG Special, a Kramer Striker, a Dean Vendetta 4, and some PRS guitars. I have bean playing for 3 years, and even though it's a short time I've been in lots of band, and except for this guitar I own only a Fender 92 Mexican Strat. You may call me amateur, but that's your opinion. The only thing I wished I would have asked before buying this baby was "Am I dreaming?" because of this sound. If it was stolen or lost, I would sell my bed for it! I love on this guitar espacially the Pickups and the neck - not thin and stupid like the Ibanezs' and gives a full grasp, while maintaining the Metal balance of playing even though it has 22 frets (I hate 24). As said Perry Gywnedd - guitarist of "Pendulum" - "I saw it, I wanted it. I got it, you're not having it back" // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014