JR Special USA Josh Rand Signature Review

9.4
review (1) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
JR Special USA Josh Rand Signature Reviewed by: dennis4rock, on july 06, 2009

Price paid: C$ 1500

Features: Made in 2007, in USA. This Guitar has a basswood body. Five-bolt oil-finished maple neck. Maple, oil-finished fingerboard. 25.5" scale length. 22 frets. Patented Dual Compression tail-piece. Schaller non-locking tuners. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way Switch controls. DiMarzio X2N bridge and PAF Joe neck pickups. Official US Army digiflage pattern, (it honors veterans). A case, and strap were given with it. // 9

Sound: Through a high-gain amp like my Elmwood or FJA-modified Mesa Rectifier, the JR special's X2N humbucker pummeled the speakers, producing a crisp thud every time I slammed a mutted chord. This low-mid focus made it possible for me to engage more of the power amp's presence and derive an earthier crunch from the power tubes, rather than rely on the preamp's gain. The X2N's beefy coils made it my go-to-pickup for warm and velvety clean passages, providing that loud doesn't always equate to harsh. It's Fist-Clenching high gain intensivity, warm and powerful tones, benefits wounded veterans. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, the guitar was very well set-up at the factory. The pickups were well adjusted. The bridge was properly routed, the tuners were well set... The guitar didn't really contain flaws when I bought it, but with time (like 3 years) the knobs became unstable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar perfectly withstands Live playing. The hardware seems like it will last (but as I sad above, the knobs became unstable, with time) The strap buttons are very solid. I can depend on it, I would use it on a gig without backup. The finish is good enough to last, it seems not to wear off easily. So it seems good. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost all styles of music (except heavy metal). I have been playing for 3 years, and it was my first guitar (well I don't use it anymore) It is a pretty good guitar. Now I use Gibson 80' Les Paul, Fender Custom Classic Stratocaster, Dommenget Explorer 90 Custom, 008 White Zebra Mastercater, PRS Paul Allender-SE. I only wish it had a Floyd Rose. If I'd lose it I wouldn't buy it again (not because I don't like it) I love the sound, and the playability. I don't really like the finish, and that it has no Floyd Rose option, it's the thing I wish it had. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Envoy 110 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 11/10/2014