Milestone 6 String Review

6.8
 5.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Milestone 6 String Reviewed by: heartsinfire, on june 04, 2010

Features: This guitar was given to me by a family friend. This model of guitar was made between the years 1983 and 1986 and I believe the one I have was made in '84 ( so I am told). Made in the U.S. The guitar features a full scale with 24-3/4" length with 24 frets. The neck is a bolt on neck made of maple. The fretboard is rosewood with abalone inlays which give it a nice touch. I am not sure what wood the Strat style body is but the finish is an all black gloss finish with chrome hardware. Moving on to the bridge it is a fixed string-thru bridge, which makes it keep its tuning like a locking nut. The guitar comes with 1 volume control, 2 tone control knobs, 3-way pickup selector, and a phase Switch (puts the pickups "in phase" or "out of phase") The pickups are stock and made by peavey. They are humbuckers with option of being single coils. When the tone controls are placed in 10 the pickups act as single coils, and to turn them into humbuckers the tone knobs should be placed in 7. Tuners are pretty Standard Grover style. Also I received this guitar with a hardshell case. Overall the hardware on this guitar is very well made and the electronics could be a little better. // 8

Sound: For the most part I play punk, rock, blues, and some metal on occasion. This guitar is perfect for playing punk and rock. For metal it does ok. I normally play it through a Peavey Valveking 212 and it compliments the guitar's capabilities pretty well. On the clean channel you can produce a number of bluesy tones by using either the bridge pickup or both pickups. And to make even more blues the phase Switch adds a whole other elements to what you can produce. The phase Switch allows for sounds light distortion and if you like a little dry sound it does that too. When used with distortion it creates a very punk sound which I like. For metal it works really well for rhythm but my only dislike about the guitar is that it does not have enough treble. Though I imagine thats the tradeoff one gets for a thundering low end. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar the action was a tad high. But it being passed from one guitar player to another it was kept in good condition and needed little change. I love the neck on this guitar it feels really good in my hands and is easy to play. However there is some fret buzz when playing at or above the 13th fret. The only other flaws are some of the hardware is looking worn but only cosmetic.I am giving it a 6 simply because I was not the first owner of this guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would trust this guitar any day. It has been in constant for about 10 years and it has held up very well. The strap buttons are rock solid and the finish can take a beating. There are several dings and dents in the finish but I like to think it adds character. I see that this guitar will see me through many future gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a good 5 years and I love this guitar. Rock solid and dependable but not too flashy. Just the way I like it. It suits my style really well, which is punk and rock. If this was stolen or lost I would look everywhere to try and find another one. These things are pretty hard to find and if you can get one for less than $400 US I would support it. The only thing I wish is that I would like to have this guitar when it brand new to make it my own. Other than that a great guitar to have. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014