Predator Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 12/15/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: Predator
25-1/2 in. scale, body binding, and high quality sealed, die-cast tuning machines.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 7.2
 7.5
 8.4
reviews (5) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Predator Reviewed by: aeroflyer711, on july 09, 2004

Features: This is a 1993 American made Peavey Predator. A great guitar. I was looking for something I could not only learn on, but grow with. This is a Strat with a poplar body and a maple neck, 22 frets with 3 single coil pickups, 1 volume and 2 tone. 5 position selector, standard stat pickup. Off white color with plack pickguard, knobs, and pickups. // 8

Sound: The sound is good. I could play everything from Wild Cherry to Black Sabbath. I upgraded to some Texas Specials. They have a lower sound that I'm gonna try to play with when I get the chance, but I still like em. It gives it a fuller, more consistent sound. I just run it through a little Crate, and have a Wah Wah too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great. When I got my acoustic I had to lower the strings, but I've never touched these. Like I said above, the new pickups need a little more adjusting, but nothing major. Over all body is great except for a litle wear from age. The only problem I've had is a loose knob on the selector Switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've beat it up TRYING to be like Jimi and it's still kickin! I've really only had it in my room, so it hasn't "gotten out much." But I'm not afraid to to play with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I like pretty much everything. If I can learn it, I'll play it, and I've pretty much been able to find a sound that makes me happy. I've been playing for maybe 5 years and need to take some lessons to help learn more. This was my first guitar. I now own a Jasmine Takamine acoustic, and built an electric off parts from Ebay (which I later sold for a small profit). Whenever theh guy I bought it from sees it, he always says how he likes it, and would have bought it himself if I didn't. When I had the two guitars I went in to see if I could trade both of them in for 1 higher quality one, and he offered me $150 for it. Remember, I only paid 120 for it, and that included a butt ugly had shell case, and it didn't have the Tex Specials yet. // 10

Predator Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar Ranch

Features: The Peavey Predator is the first electric guitar I bought and got much time with, and looking back, I think it was a pretty good purchase. It has a licensed floyd rose trem with locking tuners, which wrecked havok upon my early learning days as I tried to tune my guitar in the many drop tunings (I've since had it closed, due to my playing style not calling for much whammy drops). Its controls are simpler compared to a Strat - one volume, one tone, and a 3-way selector to move between the humbuckers at the bridge and neck positions. // 7

Sound: When I first started playing this ax, I was just starting out, and so had no idea what other guitars sounded like. I still play it today, and must say, it's got a much fatter tone than I like. I use Ernie Ball. 11 "Not Even Slinky" strings, and even using the bridge pick-ups, it doesn't seem to have much sustain, nor does it give much "bite" in its clean tone. Hard rock tunes with solos and such just don't seem that great on the Predator unless I've got the treble turned up a hair or two on my amp (which is also a Peavey, 400w). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This Peavey is pretty easy on the eyes, mine is a "Cherry Red" or something like that. It's got an almost glittery look. Everything on it when I first bought it was set up great, I found myself loving how close the strings were naturally to the body, without there being any of that buzzing noise that my acoustic seemed to get. Since I've now been playing for a while, I know much more, and know that, off the shelf, the Predator is a great play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the area where the Predator really, really disappointed me. Being my first guitar, I knew it had to be an investment that would last me. Unfortunately, it's slowly starting to deteriorate. So far, the finish on it is the only thing lasting great. From the selector Switch breaking off, to rust on the hardware screws, and even the output jack becoming so loose that sometimes I lose sound mid-song, the durability of this guitar now has me wishing I had gotten something more long-lasting, even if it didn't have as high a quality. Now, I must be honest I do put it through a lot of work and travel, by playing about an hour of every day and taking it almost everywhere with me. However, I have also taken very good care of it, keeping it safely secured while travelling and not bashing it against anything. And still, it's having these problems. I'd almost say it lasts as well as one of those starter-pack guitars. // 5

Overall Impression: I only got to play this guitar during its prime while I couldn't actually play that well. Now I play it, and I see that, while it does a decent job of spanning the genres of rock I like and play (hard, metal, general), it's not the best it could be. The neck's size isn't good for soloing, nor are the humbuckers on it. I do wish I had done some research before buying it, instead of being a green guitar-player, and going to the shop and just randomly picking out a guitar, and going "This one's nice!" If I bought it today, I know I could enjoy it, but only as long as it could last. Past that to the pawn shop, I have to sadly admit. // 6

Predator Reviewed by: Darklights, on february 23, 2006

Features: I'm not sure of the year of this guitar, it was a couple years old when my daughter bought it, and I bought it from her in may of 2005. It's a 22 fret neck made of maple. it follows the Strat styling. Not exactly sure what the bod is, but it sounds and feels like basswood to me. The finish on the body is top notch and keeps good form even with my not-so-gentle handling of it, however the finish on the neck is what I'd call sub-par. Obviously the first owner thought so too, because they tried to sand it to get a faster neck. Of course it has the standard style Strat tromello. It comes with a 5-way selector, 1 volume and 2 tone controls. The two pickups are stock Peavey single coils. I cant say they're even good, frankly, they byte. The only redeeming thing is that, under the pickguard, there is a nicely routed area to place a couple of good humbuckers to replace the poo installed at the Peavey factory. The tuners on this thing are the worst I have ever seen. It would behoove you to replace them the instant you get your hands on the guitar. The original owner (who I also know) says they were like that from day one. The guitar came with a nylon gig bag with thin foam inserts, not the best, but it's a tough guitar despite it's foibles. Had to purchase a strap since it didn't come with one originaly. // 5

Sound: The little time that it does stay tuned with these tuners, it has good sounds even for poor quality pups. I get the best sounds playing blues & metal, but that's not really a fair estimation since I am using a crap practice amp and pups that I'm not happy with to begin with. I'd say that with better pickups of any variety, a better amp, and new tuners, that this guitar could rip some good tunes. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The best feature on this guitar, is the action. It's very comfortble and fast. As stated before the only major flaw in hardware I could find was the tuners, though the nut for the plugin has an annoying habit of loosening but nothing that can't be fixed with lock-tite or glue. // 6

Reliability & Durability: If I were to do a gig with this, I'd keep a backup. But then again, I'd keep a backup anyway regardless of what guitar I'd have in hand. I wouldn't rely on the hardware, but all in all it's a solid guitar body, and the strap bottons seem solid too. The finish is tough enough for me to whack it without a big worry or worry about wear and tear taking it down. // 4

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that with replacing whatever you don't like hardware wise. This this is solid and would be a workhorse after a few mods to suit your needs & style of playing. // 6

Predator Reviewed by: JC/ROK23, on june 11, 2007

Features: It's a very beautiful looking guitar, standard 21 frets, but I never found out where it was made. The neck is a normal size, maybe a little flatter than some guitars. It is a solid top, and I think the wood is maple. I got a transparent top finish, and it's Strat design makes it look very hard-rock. It is a string-through-body guitar, and I sometimes have trouble fitting strings in because some of the old strings lower pieces get stuck in there. There are 2 tone knobs, 1 volume, and a 5-way selector. I have a double humbucker, and 2 singles. I got the guitar and nothing else as accessories. // 8

Sound: My music style is a harder type of blues, a bit heavy metal and normal rock, mixed with alternative. I use this Epoch amp, the ones you get at target, and I have never considered usin effects. The distortion sound is kinda trashy on some amps. The clean settings are very clean and flowing. I always keep the selector on the double humbucker. This guitar a strange issue with tapping, so whenever I tap, it's rather soft and quiet. that's a serious complaint about it for me. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this was perfect, a low setting, perfect for playing for long periods and not hurting your hands. The pickups are perfectly in place, by wat I see, and I'm looking at it now. The guitar is perfectly lined up, excellent bridge settings, I have never had trouble with it. The only thing about this guitar is that if you band it up bad, you'll get issues. I hit the end of my strap button against concrete and now, it's all loose and annoying. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can stand nearly the harshest playing. But I wouldn't consider doing that because it is such a beautifal guitar. Like I said before, the strap buttons can get loose pretty easily, be careful with it. I'd use this and trust that it wouldn't wreck on me. It's a hardcore guitar. The finish never came off before when I used it. I always give it a very monthly polish for looks. I really appreciate that it's good enough for traveling and it being dragged around so much. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I play blues, metal, and alternative, it fits pretty good, just that I don't like that the distortion is so trashy sounding. I've been playing for 2 years, got serioius only 3 months ago. I own a Squier and a classical, and I like my Peavey the best. It has impressed all of my friends for 4 months. If it was stolen, I'd go crazy, but I'd get something else, because I am more of a SG fan. Howver, I'd get this if no SG is available. I really do love this. Compared to Yamahas, Gibsons, Epiphones, and watever else, only Gibson and Epiphone had ever had guitars that seem better than this one. Their strats had sometimes better necks, or better feel to them. My favorite thing about my Strat is it has stuck hardcore for the last 10 years since it was produced. It has great sound, amp or no amp. it's seriously that button and that distortion! I only wish it had a whammy bar, I'd love to hear wat it would sound like on this guitar. // 9

Predator Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2010

Purchased from: Buried Treasures

Features: This guitar was made in USA, has 22 frets, solid top, solid black finish, has an altered Stratocaster-styled shape(including a place to rest your strumming arm while strumming), has 1 volume control, 2 tone controls and a 5 way pickup selector(the pickups are 3 single coils, by the way), the bridge style is unknown, but is definatly not a floyd rose, even though Floyd Rose is very top-notch. It still has a hole to place a tremelo arm, so I'm fine. Overall, the features are pretty much okay. // 8

Sound: I will say, I am a beginner, but I still play pretty well for my style. I play Metal, Hard Rock and Classic Rock(mainly metal, though). I use a Randall amp, and I really think that at the first setting, the guitar sounds okay(provided the 2 tone knobs are all the way down), but the others are just annoying with all the buzz you get. The guitar can make a good solid sound, but that's about it. The tremelo arm does it's part, but the bridge simply WILL NOT do divebombs OR sqeals, wich annoys me greatly, since those are key to great metal solos. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty well set up, not looking at the slightly warped pickgaurd. One of the pickups were slightly sinking in, but a tiny little tweak with a screwdriver and that was taken care of. The pickup selector gives an annoying click and the input jack took a very long time to fix, for it kept shaking loose. Although, I had that fixed and good as new. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very well at playing at concert. I would definatly bring it without a backup, the strap buttons are great, but the finish can scratch up. Not very easilly, though, so it's okay. Allthough I haven't been on stage that much, I'm pretty confident in it. It doesn't really steal the show, though, as a Dean Rebel Dixie would be much better. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar was a pretty okay buy. I really bought it just because it wasn't expensive, though, because our house was flooded in may. However, we should be getting back in soon. This guitar could really use a Floyd Rose speedloader bridge, because Divebombs and Great metal squeals are impossible. Overall, an okay buy. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014