Predator Plus EXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/09/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: Predator Plus EXP
The Predator Plus EXP is an electric with a lot to offer! This guitar features a Floyd Rose - licensed double locking tremelo system, sealed die-cast tuners, two high output humbucker pickups, binding around the body, a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, and a 25 1/2" scale.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.4
 Features: 7.8
 7.1
 7.6
 6.5
reviews (5) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Predator Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2005

Features: I don't know what wood it is unfortunateley. It's 25.5" scale. Mine is in black. It's got a 3-way pickup selector Switch and 1 volume and 1 tone knob, it has 2 humbucking pickups which play well. It has a floyd rose double locking trem. // 8

Sound: It suits my music style well and has a good thicck sound when "chugging" through palm mutes and the like. It makes good metal sounds and it's pretty good in solos but as in many stock pickups it's not great in the highs. The locking trem does a good job at keeping it in tune during dive bombs and squeeling harmonix out of it. Though the pickups aren't the best at picking these up like with tapping. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory the set up was not the best. After about 2 weeks I had to balence the trem which takes hours and I don't really want to bother doing. The pickups seem well adjusted though I don't know alot about them. The paint job is very good and the white binding tops it off, near the neck join the binding is not the highest quality. Nothing has broken on me yet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The hardwear will last even though I've only had this guitar for about 9 months. The stap buttons are solid and well placed but I would like them a bit bigger. The floyd needs constant balencing during string changes, it kinda pisses me off, I would like a trem that has the locking type thing at the colar because I don't use the trem bar that much. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal and new metal and grunge, it suits my playing style quite well. I own a knock off Strat which is totally pants and a Fender DSP 15 watt. I wish I had asked for an effects pedal or something like the Vamp 2. If it was stolen I would nto buy it again as my playing style and ability has progressed, though this is a sound axe. I wish it had EMGs but the guitar is not worth the money. There is nothing I hate about this guitar. // 9

Predator Plus EXP Reviewed by: Mustaines-bitch, on april 02, 2007

Features: I have a second hand black Peavey Predator Plus EXP. It's got a Standard set up, double humbucker, licenced Floyd Rose bridge, three way selector and two knobs. I got a 24 watt amp, which has as a rubbish distortion effect, so I run it through a Boss ME-50. The finish is nice though and fretboard is a pleasure to run up and down. It's a Standard Strat-like guitar for budding metalheads. // 8

Sound: Now this is where I have issues with the Predator Plus EXP. The double humbuckers produce a lot of noice, which makes the guitar sound very messy. Although my amp produces a lot of noise anyway, I know that it's the guitar as I have played it on a Marshall cab and the sound was still messy. I intend to buy new pickups when I have the time and money. That said, it is still a great guitar to chug on as palm muting is made very easy. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, there is issues with the action. The licenced Floyd Rose is very difficult to stabalise. When it is in the right position, ie: paralell to the body, the action is far too low and most notes cannot be played. As I speak, the bridge is at a 20 odd degree angle. Not impressive. Apart from the bridge, everything else is reasonable. It is very durable and can take quite a beating, although there is one other small problem which is the whammy bar falling out. Make sure that if you have this guitar you tighten it regularly. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has already managed one gig, which it survived incredibly well. I expected the tuning to screw up due to the heat of the venue, but it did not and played two songs very well. In general, the black finish is very durable and takes a well aimed blow to chip. Very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: For a person that plays all sorts of music, from Megadeth to Rage Against the Machine to Sex Pistols. This was my first guitar, but since then I have bought a Ibanez RG350 which is noticably different. I wish that it had a better locking tremolo, and I am thinking about installing an Edge Pro or a genuine Floyd Rose. A stable, if hastily made, guitar. // 7

Predator Plus EXP Reviewed by: apbell52, on may 22, 2007

Features: This Strat-like style guitar has 21 frets on a 25 1/2" scale. It has both a volume and a tone knob as well as a tremelo bar. This guitar came in a starter pack along with a soft case guitar bag (which fell apart), a strap (that fell apart), guitar picks, an extra set of strings, a cable (not good quality), a instructional dvd, and a Peavey Backstage amp. It is perfect for beginners. // 5

Sound: This guitar does not sound all that great with distortion, (but using a pedal, such a Boss DS 1 Distortion works). With slight overdrive it is okay. When I use this guitar it is usually clean. I used to use my Crate amp with this guitar, but now I just use the Peavey Backstage amy with it for the most part. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this at first, my tuning pegs were pretty loose, but that was an easy fix. Everything else was correctly put together and I had no problems with electronics, when I got it, but later on had problems with the output jack on the guitar. The finish was flawless. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I did three live shows with this guitar, but it was nothing too much. I did a music competition for solo/ensemble, played the National anthem, and talent show in which I used this guitar for playing the solo behind my back because I knew that if I were to drop it, it probably wouldn't fall apart which moves to the point of durability. I think it is a very solid guitar. I bumped it into walls and dropped it a few times and it still seems to handle good. The ony bad thing was that the strap pegs are too small, and one of them actually got stripped out during a practice session. I just screwed in a longer screw. I also use strap locks. The output jack on the guitar also over time started to get real loose. I can trust it to use at a gig without a backup, but I wouldn't. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar was perfect for when I was starting off playing about 2 years ago, but now that I am more advanced it's not well used. The only reason why I haven't sold it off is because it was my first guitar, but if it were lost or stolen, I would buy a different guitar in a flash. // 5

Predator Plus EXP Reviewed by: 0GibsonLesPaul0, on march 18, 2009

Features: The features of this guitar are great. Here they are: -25 1/2 inch scale -Solid body construction with new styling for better ergonomics and balance -New dual-expanding truss rod with wrenchless, easy access adjustment wheel -Wide top pole piece single coil pickups for bigger string window with more focus -Tremolo bridge -Peavey six-in-a-line headstock with ergonomic tuner placement and straight string pull -Master volume and tone controls -5-way pickup selector, hum canceling in second and fourth position It came with a case, cable, strings, and a strap. All of that because it was in a pack. // 10

Sound: It suit's my musical style perfectly because I play metal, rock, and hard rock. I us it with my Danelectro FAB Falnge, Metal, And Distortion, along with my Crybaby Wah. It is hardly noisy at all. It is only noisy if you turn the level all of the way up on the distortion or metal pedals. It can make a wide variety of pinch harmonics as well as clear artificial and natural harmonics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was probably set up with a machine because the pickups and bridge were perfectly alinged, along with the pickguard. The finish only gets fingerprints in it, but that goes for most other guitars. It has strong wood, and nice easy-turning tuning pegs. The only thing that I don't like is that the input jack is at the bottom and if you sit down it crushes your cable so I would rather have it on the top like a Strat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played this in a couple of gigs and it works like a charm. The hardware is still in tip top shape after four and a half years of playing on thsi guitar. If I went to another gig with it, I would probably not bring a backup. The finish is still perfect exept for a few fingerprints here and there, but besides that, it is very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock, metal, and hard rock and it fit's that perfectly. I have been playing for about four and a half years now and it is a pretty close match next to my Epiphone Les Paul 100. I couldn't really ask anything about this product considering that I got it for my birthday. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again because it is a high quality guitar for a low price. I love the sunburst color, but I hate that the input jack comes unscrewed very easily. The only thing I wish that it had would be the jack on the top, not on the bottom. Besides that, this is a great guitar for begginers. // 9

Predator Plus EXP Reviewed by: travislausch, on july 09, 2010

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: - Made in 2006-ish, in Indonesia. - 22 jumbo frets, 25.5 inch scale, rosewood fretboard, maple neck. Very fast neck, with a satin finish that doesn't get sticky when playing fast. - Basswood body (according to Peavey Customer Service), maple neck. Very light body. Basswood bodies have a bit of a tendency to make the lows sound a bit muddy and this is no exception. - Metallic Candy Apple Red finish (also comes in Metallic Cobalt Blue and Black). Black binding around the top of the body. The finish is kind of thin, and is a bit easy to dent. But it is pretty beautiful. - Superstrat body style, comparable to a lower-end Ibanez RG or a Jackson Dinky. - Passive humbucker pickups, three way selector switch. The pickups are pretty decent for a guitar in this price range. - Licensed Floyd Rose bridge, locking nut. Standard Peavey sealed tuners. - Bought it with a gig bag, came with a bunch of Allen wrenches and springs for the Floyd Rose. All in all, pretty good features for a guitar in this price range. I picked it up for about $300 CAD (I put the MSRP down above), and it may be the cheapest guitar by a well-known company with a Floyd. The only thing I would change is the Floyd, which is a licensed Floyd, and doesn't quite feel the same as an Original Floyd Rose. // 8

Sound: - I play progressive rock and metal, and through my Peavey amp (not sure of the model of amp, since it's not mine and at our practice space), it has a very decent sound. - The pickups are among the best you'll find in this price range. The bridge pickup has a lot of bite to it with distortion but never feels like it's too thin or crispy. Very smooth sound for a guitar of this price. Not a lot of noise either. The neck pickup is a bit more smooth-sounding, and perfect for the clean tones. I'd still replace the pickups for a better tone, but if you're buying a cheap shred guitar, you can't do much better than this guitar. The variety of sounds is pretty amazing, as well. It'll handle clean, chorused tones as well as it'll handle high-gain metal tones. Very pleasantly surprised, but it's still not going to compare to a more expensive guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: - The setup from the music store I purchased it at was perfect. Everything was perfectly balanced and intonated. The pickups were perfectly adjusted. The jumbo frets are not to my taste, but there were no prickly frets and the neck was nicely finished. - The only flaws I can think of with the action, fit and finish is that the finish is very thin and very susceptible to chipping and being dented. I've been very careful not to bang this guitar around, and yet, it has a few dents here and there. It's also a bit difficult if you're not used to a Floyd Rose, to set up on your own. I learned my lesson the hard way by putting the wrong gauge of strings on it. Otherwise, a pretty decent quality for a guitar in this price range, but again, still not going to compare to a more expensive guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: - I believe this guitar will withstand repeated live playing. The hardware is fairly sturdy on this guitar, but the Floyd Rose causes me concerns. It does break strings on the saddles often, which is definitely something that can be remedied by replacing the saddles with graphite ones. - I replaced the original strap buttons with Schaller strap locks, but the originals were large and solidly in place, and I would have gigged with them. - I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup for the obvious fact that it has a Floyd Rose, but it's definitely a great choice for a first main live guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: - It's a good match for prog-metal, if you're just getting into playing it (I'm a bit more advanced than that, though, as I've been playing close to 10 years) - I tend to prefer stop-tail guitars like my Squier Stagemaster seven-string. - I wish I had asked if this guitar came in other colours before buying it, because the black model with the white binding around the top is absolutely sharp-looking. - What I love about it is its versatility and the tuning stability. Thanks to the Floyd Rose, it's unwaveringly in tune. I also love the sculpted heel of the neck, which is a wonderful feature on such an inexpensive guitar, improving access to the upper frets. I dislike the complexity of the guitar for a gear noob like myself. I've played fixed-bridge guitars for so long, and I never got used to Floyd Roses. - Before I purchased this guitar, I tried out a couple of other cheap guitars, including an ESP LTD M-series guitar and an OLP Axis copy, and this one was priced just right and sounded just perfect for my tastes. It wasn't too thin or crisp, and it was very comfortable to play. - I wish this guitar came in a transparent colour with a flame maple top. They just released a stop-tail version of this guitar with a purple and Orange transparent finish over a flame maple top, and they're absolutely gorgeous. And, a personal preference of mine, is having 24 frets, which the stop-tail version also has. Other than that, this guitar is an incredible value. Also worthy of mention is how versatile this guitar is in regards to modification. Throw in a couple of good quality pickups, replace the Licensed Floyd with an OFR, and you'll have yourself a near-perfect shred guitar comparable with more expensive guitars, for less than a grand. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014