PXD Tomb Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 09/15/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: PXD Tomb
A totally bargain metal guitar for people who don't plan on playing in front of people, or aren't very concious about their tone.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 6.3
 7.5
 5.1
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
PXD Tomb Reviewed by: flashreaper, on december 14, 2009

Price paid: C$ 320

Purchased from: Axemusic.com

Features: -made in 2009 -24 jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard -basswood body, bolt on maple neck -black satin finish with aluminum pickguard -looks like a reversed ESP viper -tune-o-matic bridge -1 active Peavey pxd pickup -1 volume -Peavey Precision tuners -came with a softshell case // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal, and at lower volumes this guitar delivers quite well. The feedback, however, is astronomically bad. I think it's the combination of the overly high output pickup, the small basswood body, and the conductive aluminum pickguard that's responsible for the feedback. At higher volumes, the sound tends to break prematurely, especially during palm muting It has a solid low end, and very bright highs. Cleans= virtually none existant, it distorts the hell out of them (but it is supposed to be purely a metal machine, after all) Overall above average sound, but the feedback is just terrible // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was fantastic, the action was perfectly low for shredding. There were no flaws on the body, and the pickup was adjusted just right. This was probably the only thing about the guitar that was really worth recognizing. The satin finish is also great, because fingerprints don't really show up on them, and it's just generally more durable then gloss finishes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable, and it could definetely withstand live playing, except for the fact that the aluminum pickguard reacts rather badly to sweat. It hasn't rusted yet, so it's too early to tell how truly durable it is, but tarnishes are beginning to appear on it. However, due to the feedback, I don't think it would be a great idea to use it, unless you wish to molest your audience with screeching feedback. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it is what it is: a totally bargain metal guitar for people who don't plan on playing in front of people, or aren't very concious about their tone. I bought it because money was totally tight, and I needed a temporary guitar before I got a job. Peavey's attempt at the metal guitar is dissapointing. They should stick to making amps and audio equipment. // 5

PXD Tomb Reviewed by: Megafall, on september 15, 2011

Purchased from: Flashback Guitars

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made. But I think some time in the last three years. Its a 24 fret. Fixed Bridge. The Neck is maple and the fret bord is rosewood I think. Two volume controls and one master tone. Three way selctor switch. Two active peavy VFL pickups. Mine came with a case. Tuners are peavey. // 7

Sound: I mostly play metal(eg as I lay dying, sleeping giant, haste the day ect.) and some rock(three days grace, skillet, Breaking Benjamin)and this guitar can do that style fairly well. But its defently a metal guitar, can't do clean at all. I love the sound because it fits my style perfectly(kind of grity post hardcore)... But if your looking for anything besides very heavy tones... This probably aaint the guitar for you. It was made for metal.And that's about all it can do. I'm useing a Fender Mustang II, which I love! Surprisingly I'm getting decent distortion out of it:). The tomb sounds better trough a real tube amp though... I gave it a eight because it does what it was made for good enough not because its verital at all. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The neck on this thing is AMAZING. Better then some more expensive ones I've played. I just can't say enough about that. Its perfect for tapping:). The Pickups are almost to sensitive and it can be hard to control. The finish is great I got the saten back and brushed aluminum model, and it doesnt't't finger print at all, and as of yet I haven't scrached it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't been able to play with it live yet... But I give it a beating at home... And nothings broken yet... Its even hard to scrach. Its a tyical peavey Indestructible. The Strap buttens seem pretty good... I would depend on it... Not to mention I can't really afford a backup guitar haha. Finsh seems like its gona last... But I haven't had it long enough to say for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal and hard rock and this guitar does a great job. Iv only been playing about a year.But iv played on some nice guitars..and in terms of playability this is a GREAT instrument. If it was stolen... I'd prboly hunt the bitch down and kill him.Then take it back... Lol. This Guitar just looks BEAST, and is a lot of fun to play. Defently doesnt have the best sound out there, and its not very diverse, but I don't know of a better metal axe out there for the price. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014