PXD Void III Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 09/24/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: PXD Void III
With a Kahler tremolo and supercharged active pickups anchored to menacing slabs of tone-sustaining mahogany, the Peavey PXD Void III Guitar is the sound of full-on aggression.
 8.3
 6.6
review (1) pictures (4) 28 comments vote for this gear:
PXD Void III Reviewed by: lP X lD \/0iiid, on september 24, 2009

Price paid: C$ 899.99

Purchased from: Maestro Music Academy

Features: * Made in August 2009 I believe and Made in China * 24 Frets with 24.75" Scale, Jumbo Frets (Rosewood) * Solid Top * Body and neck are both made from mahogany * Satin Black finish with aged aluminum pick guard * Body style is something of a cross between an Explorer and Mockingbird * Bridge is a Kahler Tremelo * Active electronics. * Three nobs.. Two of which control the pickups volume and a tone nob which also activates the "Afterburner" circuit that adds up to an extra 20db of gain. A three way selector controls the pickups. * Active EMG's for pickups (81 in the Bridge and a 60 in the neck) with a built in battery component on the back of the body. * Tuners are Grovers with a lock nut, very very precise. * Specially designed Coffine Case with the "PXD" logo is a bonus aswell as all hardware (tools) and four extra batteries. // 10

Sound: Well I'll begin by saying that I'm a lead guitarist and I'm in to pretty much everything, but overall I like minor mode shred by the likes of Steve Vai, Satch. Its a fast guitar, what can I say? Line 6 Vetta II with PODXT. Not noisy at all very hush hush considering the EMG's. It can make the super mario coin sounds... Does that count lol. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfectly set up, but I would still take it in to get it intonated. Perfect Pickup adjustment. Bridge set perfectly. Perfectly routed and carved. This is the best set up guitar from the factory I can think of. Everything on this guitar was perfect low action fretwire perfectly shaved. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Definatly good for live shows. Hardwares the best out there ofcourse it will last. I have lock straps for my strap buttons but if I used the factory one I'm sure they'd work but I couldnt live with myself if I dropped it. With a Satin finish you can never be sure if it will last. I'm sure in a year or so it will be glossy where my picking hand rests. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played alot of guitars in the time I have been playing and not one; except this one, has stood up to the constant abuse I put them through. As soon as I picked this guitar up I knew this would be the one that I stuck with. First I'll say it is gorgeous with a very playable yet slender feel to it. The bridge (Kahler) is probably the nicest I've worked with; no more 1 hour restringing and tuning sessions. It will tune to drop D or anything I want with out throwing the other strings out too much, if youve ever worked with an Edge, Floyd Rose etc. you get what I'm talking about. Neck is super fast, I was playing a JEM 555 before this and actually boosted my playing speed by almost double, and I feel comfortable doing it. Aluminum inlay on the 12th fret just adds to its already bad-ass look. All the hardware is pretty much as beefed up as possible with Grover tuners, EMG 81 and 60. Afterburner is just sick. Obviously if your the guy or girl into country, blues or jazz this wouldn't fit the look for you. But for any other playing style from Rock to 80's Thrash, Nu-Metal to Neo-Classical this guitar suits everything you will ever need in a stage companion. It suits a beginner sitting down to learn a song like Iron Man or the advanced player ripping peoples faces off with licks from Opus 5. I recommend this to anyone (except country folk lol) // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ PXD Twenty-Three III 8.8 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014