Raptor Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 08/20/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: Raptor
Black, white pickguard, basic design, 3 single coil pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.4
 Features: 7.8
 6.9
 7.8
reviews (14) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Raptor Reviewed by: Funky Haddock, on january 09, 2006

Purchased from: Second hand

Features: This guitar was built some time in the late 1990s. It has a maple neck and a 21 fret rosewood fingerboard. Mine is the earlier Strat-style Raptor model yet it still has the pointed Peavey headstock. It has the usual 3 single coil pickups with a 5-way pickup selector and non branded tuners. I assume that the body is made out of basswood. For a beginner strat-style guitar, the features are more or less faultless. // 9

Sound: It sounds fantatsic! I play through a bog standard 12watt Marshall amp and the pickups sound fantastic with none of that shrill top end that you usually associate with single coils at this price. You can do passable Hendrix and Clapton impressions with this guitar and this suits my style of playing perfectly (blues rock). The pickups can be a little noisy at times but show me a single coil that isn't. Great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment on the factory set up as I bought it second hand. The finish is a little thick and plasticky. The pickups were adjusted correctly when I got it and the action was fine. The guitar does have a budget feel and the lower strap button on mine works it way loose quite often but this is not a huge problem. The neck is slim and fast and the fingerboard is smooth. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand quite a bit of beating and is quite well made but I doubt that it will last forever. The neck pocket is loose and getting looser but it has not caused any tuning problems yet and is still a dependable workhorse. The hardware is of relatively good quality and the guitar will stay together unless you decide to do a Pete Townshend impression. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a good beginners guitar and is an interesting alternative to a Squier Strat. It should suit Hendrix wannabes and can handle pretty much all types of music except heavy metal and hard rock when you will really need a humbucker. A good all round guitar. // 8

Raptor Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: Wisbech Music Shop

Sound: I play modern/alternative, blues and some rock sometimes and this guitar plays them all fine. On the selector there is a perfect blues setting so that is good. The guitar sounds clean until you put it on distortion. The distortion is OK and can mess up the sound someimes but it is ok. Overall, sounds nice. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on the guitar and amp were absolutely fine. The only thing bad was the cable that came with it. It took about a month or two to go dodgy. everything about it was fine apart from that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure as I don't play live if it would withstand it but I know for certain you can play it at home and it is great. I could pretty much play this guitar with confidence wherever I go. The finish needs polishing as it gets smudged quite easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing this guitar for a year and I have no regrets about buying it. Its solid and reliable, sounds great, what more do you want. If I did lose it, I would buy another one in the same style because it suits me very well. I love this guitar just because of the reasons listed above. // 9

Raptor Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 10, 2003

Sound: If you buy the Peavey pack you get a Raptor amp with the guitar this is what made me buy it. It's a great starter guitar but once your past the basics you need a bit more class. The guitar itself has 5 different sounds which is why it sounds so good in so many different ways. The sound all depends mainly on the amp which is great if you get the pack. the guitar sound is really quite good especially the clean optins and the trebles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups on the guitar are fine you can lower and higher wich is great for effects.When i bought my guitar I took it back to the shop twice and fixed it myself once if it wasn't under garuntee I'd have had to pay nearly 50 pounds to get it fixed. the problem wasd the soket kept coing loose. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would stand live playing as it rarely goes out of tune unless I do it it's a great solid instrument and I rekon I can depend on it to get me threw quite a few gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing around 6 months and have an electric and two acoustics. If my guitar was stolen I'd buy the same amp but phreaps an ESP or Gibson (saving up for ESP). There's nothing about playing the guitar you can hate, even hard songs are fun to learn (hotel Calofornia solo, i'm only half way threw and I've been learning it for around 1 and a half months). // 10

Raptor Reviewed by: bradwell46@hotm, on january 06, 2006

Features: This guitar is a fairly new model, and was more than lightly put together in Japan or USA, still not sure. The guitar has twenty one frtes, and the threat sizes are thin, but give enough room for all guitarists off all levels. The guitar has two controls and a lever to choose the pickups. There are tone and volume controls on the guitar, and a 5-way pick up choice. There are two single ciols, and one humbuck coil, which give a clear sound, and are well fitted. The tuners unfortuanetly are non locking. With this guitar, which is my first one, I got an amp, which is by Peavey, a gigbag, strap, and cable. I also got a tuner as well, so was well worth the money. // 9

Sound: I like to play rock and metal music, so the sound is fairly well suited. The pick ups allow for a real heavy sound, but a clearish sound as well. I am currently using a basic Peavey amp, with no extra effects, apart from distortion given the type of music I play. The guitar, combined with the amp, can give an average sound, which sounds more full than rich, and I ususally use it on full toen, volume, distortion and also on the humbuk. The guitar is more suited for metal or grungde guitarists, but the sounds made are a little weak compared to other guitars. There is a variety if you know how to use the guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The way the guitar has been put together is pretty good. Some of it looks a little tacky, but all round it is good. The first day implayed it, I pulled the metal around the cable plug in off, so watch out for that. My advise would be to tighten it before you play. The pickupos are ace, no real compliant around them. Some of the pick up settings give a lot of noise off, but the volume of the playing usually drowns that out, so no worries. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would say, because I am playing in a new band, that this guitar will take some beating, but take care of it. I have looked after mine, and dropped it a few times, and its still fine. The strap sometimes falls off, which is reall annyoing, but this is because the holes in the srap are dogdy, which I suppose can be easily changed. I would take a back up guitar, but it would be another one of these. I have got used to this guutar and am happy playing it as a new player. The finish on the guitar is well done, so the colour and design shouldn fade. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal music and this guitar has enough variation and sound controls for me to play this typoe of music. I have been playing over a year now, and own an acoustic, as I used to play classical music. If the product was lost or stolen, I would get the same guitar because I really do like it that much. I love the look and variety on this guitar. The thing I hate is the tuning pegs, they seem to move sometimes, but that's probably because of they way I play it. If you're thinking about buying this guitar, you should, it's really good for the money. // 9

Raptor Reviewed by: SimpleFlame, on december 20, 2006

Features: It included a gig bag, RMS amplifier, Fender strap, cable, and a Tuner. It had two tone controls and a volume control on the body. It was made out of maple wood with a flamed top. The gig bag was kinda torn on the inside but it still protected the guitar from small impacts. The amplifier was a perfect match for the guitar. The Fender strapp broke the first time I used it which was bad. The cable was a small five foot cable but it was a good one. The tuner was great it locked perfectly and made my guitar sound awesome. // 8

Sound: The sound on this guitar is great. It sounds perfect with a RMS 20 watt amplifier. The sound is great when you put the distortion on full and the high about 3 quarters of the way full. It can make almost any sound you can think of and it's perfect for rock. It doesn't make any buzzing noises or any undesierable sounds. It has a rich sound to it that I love about it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in great shape. The pickups were adjusted great and the bridge was properly routed. It was flawless and of great quality. It was perfectly made and created a great sound. The turning pegs were perfectly tightened. The saddle was perfectly fit and it was easy to use. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is perfect for Live playing and it can withstand heavey strumming. The strap buttons are perfectly solid and the hardware is stong enough to withstand anything. It is durable and can take most impacts. The tunning doesn't wear off as you play and continues make a great sound after months of playing. // 7

Overall Impression: This Guitar is great for punk rock. It has a great sound and it is a guitar of excellent quality. This guitar is an excellent choice for begginers. It is easy to play and use. If it were stolen or broke I would probably stay with Peavey and if I could I'd get another. // 9

Raptor Reviewed by: Phantom_LordX, on february 07, 2004

Features: This guitar is very good for a bigginer, if you are starting to play guitar I recomend you to buy this guitar for startes, then buy a Gibson or Ibanez. The guitar is ver resistant and has good sound although you might want to change the strings when you get it. // 8

Sound: This guitar can be used for rock, punk or metal music. If you want to start a band this guitar can help you in your gigs. It has a rich sound specially with my amp (a Champ 15 by Squier). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is good for a bigginer but as you get more experienced I recomend to change the guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is very Durable, it has a nice finish and you can rely on it if you are in a show. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is very good, I play hard metal songs and this guitar has helped me to get better at it, although I'm planning to buy an Ibanez I will always keep this guitar to practice. // 8

Raptor Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2004

Features: I got his guitar when I was 12 and im now 16 and it is still one of my favorites to play. Even tho it doesn't have any of the fancy things like locking tremolo or locking tuners etc.. It's still a good dependable guitar especially for beginners. It's got a standard 21 frets, and pretty much just a basic beginners guitar. // 8

Sound: It plays well with distortion etc.. It's pretty powerful too. It gives off a nice sound especially for being a pretty light guitar. It also has many different settings and works well with effects. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine was well made, I have not had any problems with it. I can't guarentee that all these guitars will be as well made as mine but I like it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for 4 years and the only problem I ever had was the nut broke, and that was my fault.it sounds as good today as it did when I bought it and it's definitely dependable, but not my first guitar at a gig maybe my backup or second string guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Tthis guitar is a good match for what I play because I can acheive a sound close to nirvana or a completely acoustic sound and I need range. I also own an old school Epiphone Explorer and I somtimes find myself playing this guitar instead of that one. I recomend you dont use the standard whammy bar it comes with because it throws it WAY out of tune, but this guitar is perfectly equipped for beginners. It's the perfect begginers guitar. // 8

Raptor Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 20, 2004

Purchased from: Ward Brot

Features: Funny it the tag says "buy american" but if you check the back it says made in China lol. 21 frets, not sure wat the neck is, black finish. 1 volume knob one tone knob got it wit Preavy amp bag, picks extra strings. // 6

Sound: I love to play punk and metal and grunge but I got a soft side to so I play some softer stuff. It plays most good. Although it's hard to get a reallyt authentic punk sound from it. It plays metal pretty good. Cept I kinda want a V or an Explroer. It's got nice acoutcic sound not plugged in but it plays pretty slick for my first guitar. You can play alot on this. I found it hard to play blues but I just need bigger strings mi think. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I took it out of the box the strap lock was busted and bent so that pissed me off but I din't care. The strap is always fallin off on me when I'm just holding it standing up. So you might wanna buy biggers pegs. Everything else is good. The finish isn't that good scracthes and smugdes are everytwhere. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I play my guitar alot since I hav nothing else to do and I get pissed and jam on it. And I barely ever hav to tune it. That's my fav thing about this guitar. This guitar will definetly lasta long time it's dropped on em many of times int he half year iv owned it. Strap buttons suck! You could depend on this but you'd weant a back up finish is. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and punk and grunge and it covers these pretty good. I'v obly been playing for a half a year and I wanna get soem pedalks but I just use the amp how it is. If this was stolen I wouldn't re purchace athis guitar. I would probably geta Gibson Faded V or a an Explorer or an SG. I really like some aspects of this guitar (very strong neck-dont hav to tune ever) but it makes me feel held down when I play it. Like I'v already hit the limit of the craziness I can do wit this guitar. Like I'v pushed it to its limit I didn't really compare when I got this cuz I didn't care what I got I just wanted to play. I wish it had soem Emg-85 (81) pickups in like cladio uses from Coheed And Cambria and some strap locks would be nice. // 6

Raptor Reviewed by: da_pope, on january 20, 2005

Purchased from: Guitarworks Calgary

Features: The Raptor has 21 frets (wierd) with a Mahogany neck. The body is almost, if not, identical to the Fender Stratocaster. Comes with transparent finish (mine is blue) with a white pickguard that is laminated. It has one humbucker and 3 pickups. It has Volume and tone control and a 5-way pickup selector. It also has a tremelo bridge. // 8

Sound: I usually play hard rock/metal stuff so it does suit me pretty good seeing how it has a very good low sound. I dosen't so as good when playing the higher, lead kind of stuff. I use my Peavey Rage 158 with it and does deliver a good sound. I don't own any effect pedals right now but I have played it with a Wah-Wah and it sounded great. I have tried it with overdrive and it sounded ok not as good as the wah-wah though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks identical to a Strat so it's looks pretty good especially with the transperent blue finish. I've only had two flaws with it so far. The strap buttons are way to small! I've had it fall of many times. The other flaw is with the thing were you plug the cable into the guitar. Well that think is very loose! Every time you unplug it you have to tighten it a bit. But that might be an insolated incedent. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's pretty durable no dents or scratches in mine and I've had it for a few months. Agian The only problems I've had with it are that the strap buttons blow and are way to small and the cable plug in thing is way to loose. It were stolen I'd probably pick up a BC Rich Platnium series MockingBird or a Epiphone SG, not a Raptor. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is pretty good for me seeing how I'm still a pretty much a beginner. I love the sweet low sound and the finish. I hate how small the button straps are though. It was either this or an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I think I made the right choice though. Overall this guitar is pretty good. // 8

Raptor Reviewed by: badrfan, on october 19, 2005

Purchased from: Buddy Rogers

Features: This guitar has standard volume and tone controls, nothing else. It also has a five way pickup, which is nice because I can go from punk to acoustic with a flip of a Switch. It also came with an amp, gig bag, tuner, extra strings, cable (which I had to replace in a month) and an instruction DVD (which sucked). // 7

Sound: This guitar is versatile. I play everything from Dave MAtthews to Nirvana with this guitar. When used with the overdrive though, its heard to hear the tone with say, a fast punk riff. When used with a Boss DS-1 it sounds very smooth though, and full of tone. Great guitar for punk rock and grunge. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only qualm I have with this guitar is how much the finish smudges. Besides that, the other problem is how often the washer where you plug into the amp comes lose. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is falling apart. I've superglued the headstock, the washer where you plug the cable, a screw holding that outlet, and the strap. There are several dents in the neck and scratches fairly easily. However, I have dropped it twice and it still sounds good. // 2

Overall Impression: This is a good guitar. At least for beginners. The greatest thing about it is its versatility. That makes up for any other problems. // 7

Raptor Reviewed by: yalaki, on december 26, 2005

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: This is an "International Series Raptor I" made in Vietnam. Paid 100 for guitar with Peavey Rage 158 Amp. Maple neck, rosawood fretboard, poplar body. 21 jumbo frets. Came with 3 single coil pickups. // 6

Sound: I play hard rock mostly. With high gain and a lot of distortion it actually sounds quite good, but only if you like this sound. I use the bridge pickup 99% of the time and this is quite noisy as you'd expect. I use the neck pickup for one song and I use it clean for that. I think it sounds good (for the price it certainly does). Generally though I would not use this guitar without any overdrive or distortion. Maybe some reverb would help as well. If you want natural sustain, don't get this. I can only get significant sustain through use of effects. I do have to say that I tried an Ibanez (RG something or other, costing about 350) and this was not very much better than the Peavey to play. The tone from the pickups was probably better, but other than that there wasn't much in it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this 2nd hand so I can't comment on the factory set-up. However I have tried adjusting the action and height of pickups myself. This has helped to improve the quality of tone of notes played on the 1st string and improved the balance of the guitar's sound. This was quite easy to adjust. As far as flaws go, there are probably a few. Notably a noisy 5-way Switch (this is a dirt cheap item). It does however keep tune quite well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar 18 months now and I guess the previous owner had it a few years. I've knocked it on occasions but no damage was done, so it seems quite solidly made. It has not posed me with any problems over the 18 months I've had it and I don't think the previous owner changed anything, so I guess it is quite reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first guitar so I wasnt expecting it to sound amazing. It took me a year to find out my amp had overdrive. Once I discovered that it didn't take me long to get a good sound out of it. I wouldn't buy this guitar for the sound it makes, I would buy it because it is excellent value for money. It is a very good Strat copy and a great guitar (for me at least) to learn on. I believe it is comparable in all aspects except tone (due to the nature of pickups, single coil/humbuckers) with the Ibanez RG model I've used. If I was starting all over again, this would deffinitely be one of the guitars I would keep an eye open for on eBay. // 8

Raptor Reviewed by: rockon1824, on january 18, 2006

Features: The Peavy Raptor is basically a basic starter guitar with 21 frets, and a laminated top. It is a great guitar for a beginner, especially when I bought it with an amp, a gig bag, a strap, a cable, and some picks. It works really good with affects and gives just an alright sound when it's clean. It has a 5-way selector that doesn't do much and tone and volume controls on the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play all types of rock and works well with it because I tend to use a lot of distortion. However, when I play songs with a cleaner tone, like Stairway to heaven, it doesn't sound as good. I usually use it with the Peavy Rage 158 amp it came with, with the Pre-gain all the way up and the post-gain at about 1 or less because I can get a lot of distortion without it being too loud. This guitar is not good if you are playing songs like "Wonderful Tonight" and want to get that soft, clean, acoustic feel. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was very wellmade, with everything in working order. I have dropped and banged it many times but it doesn't have any damage. The only problems I've had is the wires that connect the cable from the amp to the guitar have broken off and had to be resouldered. Also, the screw that holds the strap on comes loose from time to time. But other than that, it holds well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is probably a better practice guitar and I probably wouldn't play it live if I had a better one. Like I said, the screw for the strap button might come loose and that wouldn't be good during a show. If I had to play it live, I'd definitely want a backup. The finish has lasted through all the things I've banged it into so that was done pretty well by the factory. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the music I play because it uses lots of distortion. I've had it for 3 years and it's held up. If I had the choice to buy my first guitar again, I would still get this one. At this point, I probably wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen or lost because after 3 years with a beginner's guitar I'd want to get something better. I love the fact that it's a little smaller than a regular guitar so you feel like you have more control. I bought this over the other starter packs because it was the best value. Overall, I would recommend this to a guitarist who was just starting, but not to an experienced player. // 7

Raptor Reviewed by: qlmaX5, on june 28, 2008

Features: I don't know where my father purchased this guitar, but it is a sweet guitar for solos. It has a body the same as a normal Raptor, but with a slightly different pickguard. The normal wide flow of the bottom flare allows for easy movement up in the high notes, and two sets of two Strat pickups. There are two tone switches, which is good for setting the exact tone for various songs. I'm not going to explain how the pickups look, just google it. It is really hard to explain in words. // 10

Sound: The RIS has a more tinny, twangy sound to it than other guitars, and is an excellent guitar to practice insane effects on, due to the tremolo bar-compatible bridge. When single pickups are selected (a 5-selection switch is installed right next to the volume control) it has feedback, but that adds to my style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar (made in the USA as it is) is of extremely high grade, and the pickups and hardware have a unique look to them (since I can't find any other black RIS' anywhere). It has the classic flame look of stratocasters, a slanted metal alcove for the output jack, and a very nice head design. It even has a half-finished neck! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand for a very long time of hard playing. It sounds great, performs great, will withstand multiple very hard hits on the ground (not going to test it), and is overall a guitar that's perfect for my style. the only problem is that it's hard to move up and down the back of the neck, but that's my fault. I have sticky hands. // 10

Overall Impression: 10 out of 10. I couldn't wish for anything better from Peavey. I might sell it for a re-issue silver-blue one with chrome hardware that I can see my reflection in (gets dreamy). Anyway, I have been playing this for almost 8 years now, and it hasn't faltered. It truly is a wonderfully crafted guitar! Note, these have been discontinued, so it will be a hassle finding a good one like mine. Another note, Peavey is making Guitar Hero controllers! They should be the same quality as this guitar, so go get one! // 10

Raptor Reviewed by: rebelauthority, on august 20, 2010

Features: Was given as a gift so I don't know how much it cost Peavey Raptor I made sometime in the 1980's Made in Japan (According to Peavey) Cream Body Rosewood Fret Board / Maple Neck 1 Volume, 2 Tone, 5-way selector Comes with 3 single coil pickups Bolted Neck It's a Strat... Replaced Bridge Pickup (see notes below in impressions) // 8

Sound: I play Grunge, Blues, Rock and Country. This guitar is best at Grunge and Rock with Distortion or Overdrive with the gain up some. Play it mostly on a Roland Cube 30 but will hook it up to other amps on occasion. This is basically a backup guitar for me. Though there are some songs I will grab this for on stage, like Nirvana, Green Day and Misfits metal sounds. The humbucker pickup I put in sounds great for that kind of sound and is Very Hot and makes the single neck pickup sound warmer by comparison. You can get allot of different tones from this guitar but it is missing a warm sound that you get from semi-hollow bodies (but that's why they make those) // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: For a used guitar and it's age this has held up very well. The finish is very durable as I can not see any scratches and has no chips. The action is set very low with no fret buzz and the frets are smooth. The tuners have plastic key heads but they hold tune very well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable as it has seen many days and still looks great. The body is a heavy chunk of wood and the neck is bolted on so it would be easy to replace if needed. This is the guitar I go for if I think it's gonna be a rough night or I'm going to a jam session for ____ & giggles as I don't worry about this getting damaged at all (not because it's cheap but because it's durable). // 10

Overall Impression: I have a 1963 Gibson ES335, 1990's Oscar Schmidt OE30 and until recently a 1950 Epiphone Regent Triumph (drunk fell on it). The other guitars have a warmer sound but this guitar has it's place. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Power Rails Humbucker from GuitarFetish.com. The body was routed out but I had to dremel the pick guard and move the volume pot lower. I also took the bridge single coil pickup and moved it to the neck position (don't ask me why I did it, it was just an experiment) and I like the tone from it there so I'm leaving it. This guitar is very easy to work on as everything is connected to the pick guard (much different from the OE30 and ES335 which are a pain in the ___). If this guitar ever gets demolished (don't see it happening but you never know) I would probably not buy it as I'm not a big Strat fan but for what it is it's pretty good and I would recommend it as a cost effective Strat. It is better made and sounds better that a Mexico Fender Strat even before I modified it. I hear that the new Peavey guitars are not built as well as this older version and on that I can not comment but I like this older Peavey for what it is... A good Strat clone. // 8

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Triple XXX Head 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 12/08/2014