Raptor Plus EXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: Raptor Plus EXP
Like all guitars in the Raptor series, the EXP features 25 1/2" scale, multi-lam body construction, and dual expanding truss rod. It also has wide, top-pole piece single coil pickups for a bigger string window with more focus and a Peavey six-on-a-side headstock with ergonomic tuner placement and straight string pull.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 Features: 7.2
 7.3
 7.2
 7.3
reviews (20) pictures (2) 49 comments vote for this gear:
Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: fretsofhell, on february 08, 2006

Features: The Peavey Raptor Plus EXP is an awesome starter guitar for anyone. It has good sound quality at a reasonable price. It comes in sunburst, red, blue, and black finishes. It is a 21 fret masterpiece. There are two controls, a tone and a volume. It delivers a power bend tremolo. The pickups are single coiled and it has a 5-way pickup selector Switch. The neck is 25 and 1/2 inches. It weighs 11 lbs packed. In other words, it is loaded for beginners. // 6

Sound: I recently stepped out of the newbie ring of the guitaring world and my Raptor still suits me well. It is capable of playing the hardest of music with full sound. The guitar has a variety of sounds that extended past my expectations. Currently I am using it with an older 65 watt amplifier and the sound is great. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guiar was well put together, the pickups finely adjusted, and the bridge properly aligned and routed. There wasn't a flaw with the guitar when I purchased it, and I can still say it is playing better than before. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Personnaly I would take this guitar anywhere to play. Although it may not be as stylish as a Gibson Flying V it is a very good guitar. The Raptor has been trustworthy and dependable throughout my playing career, and I believe that won't ever change. // 6

Overall Impression: The Raptor EXP matches nearly every style of music. Whether you are into punk or jazz, metal or classic rock this is a guitar for you. I have been playing for over a year now and I have been astounded by the sheer greatness of this guitar. I would be very frustrated if I ever lose it, but I would probably just buy another one with the same finish. My favorite feature is the alignment of the pickups, and I dont have any least favorite features becuase I love my guitar with a passion. But, and this is a big but, if you have been playing for a long time this is not the guitar for you. Go buy a Gibson Les Paul. // 6

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: Tedrick, on may 26, 2005

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: Made pretty recently, 21 frets, volume, tone and 5-way selector, 4 pickups. Included an amp, gig bag, a crappy strap (that I had to 'fix' but it didn't work so I ended up buying a new one), a crappy cable (replaced within a week), extra strings, lesson DVD, and a confusing tuner (found a better computer program tuner). Pretty basic I guess. // 8

Sound: I generally like the sound of my guitar. My amp has bad distortion, causing it to not sound good while on distortion. A good full sound when appropriatly tuned. Overall I like it (it actually plays well acoustic for an electric guitar). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was very pleased with the way I got it except for parts of the paint job. Everything else was excellent no internal problems that needed fixing. Very pleased. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It plays well live. Nothing except for the crappy accessories that came with it have broken. The strap buttons seem solid. I'd most definately use it without a backup. The finish is fine. High marks. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock music for a local band with my friends. It works fine for this purpose. I havent owned this guitar for very long. I also own a Monster Cable which I love, a Planet Waves strap which is ok, a Peavey amp which is pretty good. Various picks. If it were stolen or lost I would probably get the same model but a different color, or maybe on second thought I should get a better guitar, Naw it's fine. Love the sound, hate the accessories that came with it. Didn't really compare to other products. // 10

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: Talented, on july 10, 2006

Features: The Peavy Raptor Plus was my first guitar. It is a 22 frets and is USA made. It has a laminated top, and the body and neck are both made out of maple without any finish on the neck. The body style is Strat, hte the bridge style is Tune-O-Matic. It is a passive electronic. It has a 5-way pickup selector on it. It is a supposedly for beggingers with its easy to use design. // 6

Sound: It didn't really suit my style of music as it is pretty much can't get to great of distortion out of it. You can get a little but even with a good amp you cannot get to much out of it. it is mainly to be used clean. I used a Peavey amp with a 150 range with it. It dosen't sound rich or full and no bright sound it just sounds, crappy. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely when we talk about its pickups. They were set up already and adjusted nicely which was good. They had multiple finish flaws on it, I had some screws loose on it concerning the saddle, the wood quality is terribile in the neck and head of the guitar. And the place to plug in your ampliphier is extremely loose. I was not pleased at all. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is proubly the worst part of the guitar itself, durability. This guitar wouldn't proubly stand any live playing. I was just playing and all at once I had a big crack on the forth tuning peg going all through the head and starting to hit the neck. I am extremely carfull with my guitars never dropped and all I did with it was casual playing. I lasted me about two months which is really pathetic. I woulden't even use this guitar for a backup I would get rid of it. The finish was never that good when I got it so it pretty much got worse. It was overall just a mess. // 1

Overall Impression: I like to play punk rock and this guitar can barely do any distrotion with a great amp. I have been playing for about a year and this only lasted me two months, then I got my ESP LTD EC-50, read my review on that if you are looking for a good guitar. I should have asked if this guitar was any good, and if the salesmen was honest I would not have got this guitar. I really don't love anything about it, it is a below average guitar and that, at the end of the day is it. I guess the best thing about it was the 5-way pickup selector. I really didn't compare it to much being that it was my first guitar. Man, I really wish I did. I just wish it was at least a little quality. That is why I wrote this review to save you guys some headaches. Hope this review helps you in buying a new guitar if you are a begginer. // 4

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: gigson111, on may 18, 2007

Features: I am not sure of the exact specs on it, where it is made and what etc. But I do know one thing. I sucks. I compare it to my ESP guitar and it is worse than dog crapola. it has 21 frets, so I can't play some of my fav solos, me well, what are you gonna do? it's got a bright-red finish that almost looks pink. I wouldve rather had Pink then bright red but whatever. It has the shape of a Telecaster, no the qaulity though. I got an amp with it, strap, gig bag and picks so it wasn't bad for a hundred bucks. It was my first guitar, so obviously it's not the best. to say the least. I'm not sure of the pickups, I don't think there very well, but I can't say for sure. It only sound good on the far right setting. I still don't know what it's called. It's okay but don't buy it. // 3

Sound: The sound is definitly better than how it's built. I play metal somewhat but it sure oesnt suit it. A bright red uitar with a pick guard, not so metal. I'm using a small Peavey amp with. I haven't had it too tooloud yet so I'm not too sure on how it would sound at a gig. Probably wouldn't that small amp anyways but it's got quite a bright sound while I'm playing with it. I'm using a Boss MT-2 distortion oedal and it sounds great with it. But it dooes not sound the hottest with no pedals. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I think this guitar was not setup too good in the factory. The strap would fall off a lot and the guitar would flal to the floor. There would be a new scratch on it almost every week. By the time I throw it out, it'll look worse then, well I don't what to say but it'll look bad. My friend also had the same guitar except in a different colour. His volume knob eventually fell off. First it would just keep spinning and spinning around but it fell off. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This would definitly not withstand play Live. If I was jumping around a going crazy itwould fall off a couple of times. I don't think that my knobs will last for much longer. The strap buttons are definitly not solid, as I said before my strap would fall and so would my guitar. I would probably not play with this as my main guitr, I have a better guitar and I would use that. The finish has been wearing off the last couple a weeks. Definitly not dependible. // 2

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal guitar, and this red peice o crap does not suit my style of music. I have been playin for around 3 years now and I have never seen a worse guitar. I would have asked if I could get a better because this one is nt very good. I don't like too much about this, the only thing I do like about it is nothing. I compared this to my ESP LTD AX-50 and it still doesn't compare. If this were stolen/ thrown out my window, I would definitly buy a different product and probably a different brand too. I wish it has a different shape but, what are you gonna do? // 4

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: Vabolo, on july 19, 2011

Features: I bought this guitar back in 2005 (give or take a few months), but I am unsure about the actual year of fabrication, as the sticker that shared the date and place of creation has since faded out (It still has the signature of the Chinese dude who inspected it, though. That guy has messy handwriting). It features a Standard stratocaster-ish body (the horns aren't exactly like that of a strat, but it still fitted into a molded Strat case), with a single-coil pickup in the neck and middle position and a humbucker in the bridge, a whammy bar bridge, one tone and one volume control and a five-way pickup selection switch. The (maple?) neck has 21 frets, and a rosewood (or so they say...) fingerboard. The body is made of what I presume to be basswood, and is painted a solid black colour so that you cannot see the wooden horrors that lie below. It did not come with free accessories, but I am more willing to blame that on the shop that sold me this guitar than on said instrument itself. Also, I have added groovy lines and shapes with some Sharpie markers. I am giving the features an 8, because it has a cheap plastic nut and lacks the traditional second tone knob, and also a cupholder and a fog machine. You need those last two features to get a ten. That, or a laser cannon on the headstock. // 8

Sound: It sounded great when I first played it through my "dramatic music" Marshall MG. However, I have since developped a higher taste for Acoustic quality, and have also bought a shiny tube amp that all the cool kids are bragging about. To my horror, my bottom-line BC Rich Kerry King Warlock sounded ages ahead of the Peavey through my Epiphone Valve Senior. The single-coil pickups sounded a bit weaker than the humbucker through my crappy solid-state amplifier, but you have to actually select the humbucker when playing through the tube amp to hear anything at all (beside the familiar 60-cycle hum). I know for a fact that single-coils are naturally enclined to have a little bit less power when compared to humbuckers (especially in a metal axe), but the loss of volume, and evidently, tone, is ridiculous. I'm giving this section a 5 because the pickups work and sound okay when played through a solid-state amp, but they are pretty much mulch when it comes to being played through a proper valve amp. I think I might swap them out someday, when I'll be done withg all my other unfinished business. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Remember how I said that I didn't remember the year of fabrication and price of this guitar? Well, chances are, I don't remember the factory setup either. However, to this day, the frets are still holding (by the grime that resides on the fretboard, I believe) and the tuners have a surprisingly efficient string pitch retention system for their cost, despite the fact that I live in a place where it freezes half the year, and make you feel like you're melting the other half. The finish is great. Really. The neck doesn't feel sticky, but doesn't feel like sandpaper either, and the paint job on the body, although prone to showing fingerprints, is still nice. It's hey wait, don't look under the pickguard! There is nothing to see there! Ignore the sloppy paint job, the remaining woodchips and the tangled innards of the instrument! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Let's make this short and sweet: the strap holders will outlive any strap, the hardware, despite its poor sound quality, can take a punch in the face (the volume pot hisses when I play with it, but that's probably because I am too lazy to clean the dust off of it) and the finish could probably provide adequate shelter in the case of a nuclear attack. If India and Pakistan decide to play Global Thermonuclear War, I will purchase more of these guitars and build body armor out of them. // 9

Overall Impression: I used to only listen and play Green Day when I first bought this guitar. Evidently, I have evolved in my musical tastes since the purchase of said instrument, having had my X-treme Metal Phase, followed by my Hippie phase, followed by my Prog Rock phase, followed by my Jazz phase, followed by my Psychedelic Shock Rock phase, and so on for the better half of a decade. Based on my general understanding of music in general, I can tell you that this axe is great for practice, learning and smashing your TV. It can handle the generic "distorted guitar tone" you see on most things that try to emulate a guitar sound, and can play clean. It cannot, however, play "teh br00talz", the Guess Who's "American Woman" solos, Mountain's "Rocky Mountain Way", or the drums. If you were expecting something other than a good ol' first guitar, you are gravely mistaken. Like I said in the comments a few years ago, it's not a great Strat, but it's a good start (Incidentally, I have affectuously named my Raptor EXP Plus "The Crapocaster"). It's also fun and comfortable to mess around with! // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: Abyssal, on april 18, 2005

Purchased from: Music Stop

Features: It has 21 frets, jumbo frets, and I believe it is made out of maplewood. Has 1 tone, 2 volume, and 3 way selector. Two single coil pickups, and 1 humbucker. It was a Starter Kit so, it came with a cheap gig bag, an ok strap, cable, picks, tuner, extra strings, and a 12 watt amp. Or 10. // 6

Sound: It suits my style, I play mainly metal and a bit of rock here and there. I'm currently still using my starter amp, and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, distortion pedal. This is very good for that unique Slayer sound. It can be loud, low, high, suits almost any preference. Can play anything from Maiden, to Black Sabbath, or Slayer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with one small flaw, witch could be fixed, one funny fret. The pickups were perfect. Everything else was perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would stand live playing, but like any other guitar, don't play live without a backup. The hardware doesn't seem to have any flaws so far. I could depend on it, but as I said, always have a backup. The finish seems like it well last forever. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, it's a pretty good match. I've been playing for about 5, almost 6 months. Before I bought it, I wish that I would've asked about the other kinds of guitars, because I really didn't know what I was buying at that moment. If it were lost, I'd probably get a BC Rich Platinum Warlock or Beast, or a Platinum Pro if possible. I recently compared it to my friends, Nova and Squier Starter Kit. The Nova had a year and a half of play, so I really couldn't compare durability. But the Raptor seems to get better sound than both of the others. The Squier had really bad feedback, even if you turn it below 5, on all settings. The Peavey only has feedback if I crank everything, and my pedal to 15. // 10

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: l0rd0ct0d0rk, on june 03, 2008

Features: I don't know the year of this guitar, but it is a basic Strat-styled guitar that is designed for the budding guitarist. It has 21 jumbo frets. The neck is made of rosewood. It has one volume knob and one tone knob. There are three pickups on this guitar, along with a five way selector. There is a humbucker for the bridge pickup, along with two single pickups in the body and the neck positions. Peavey made the tuners. I actually bought this as a Peavey Backstage Starter pack. The guitar came with a truss-rod wrench, a electronic tuner, a gig bag, a strap, a cable, and an amp. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my classic rock style like any other guitar would. I use this guitar with my backstage amp. It is noisy. It sounds rather terrible if you don't use distortion. It has a bad habit of fret buzz, and open string buzz. If you play it just right, though, you can make it sound like a professionally made guitar. It has pickup problems with high volumes. I recently replaced it's strings with a set of acoustic strings, which actually changed it's tone overall. It made the guitar sound excellent as a rythm guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a rather low action, and the pickups were about 1/2" from the strings. The frets buzz, the bridge gives feedback when you strum strings, and the 3rd (G-String) tuning peg is stubborn. I had to adjust the truss-rod several times, along with the bridge. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar may make it on stage as a rythm guitar, but I wouldn't play it as a lead guitar. The hardware may last, but I would rather change it. The strap buttons are OK, for now. I would use it in a gig as a rythm guitar, but I definitely would use another guitar before it. The finish is easy to scratch, but none of it has been chipped off yet. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar can go good with certain categories of music, but it sounds terrible with most categories I play. I wish I could have gotten it without the humbucker, which creates buzz. If it were stolen or lost, I would just settle my losses and buy a better one. I wish it had a green finish, mine came in black. // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: gavz_verdikt, on july 21, 2008

Features: For me, I personally liked what the Raptor Plus EXP had to offer. It may be like any other guitar but I recommend this for any starter! The Raptor Plus EXP was made in China but is a US brand. It offers you 3 types of colours, sunburnt, red and black and was made a long time back (2000s I guess). The Raptor Plus EXP offers you 21 frets (I wanted 22 but that is okay). It offers you 5 pickups so it is easy for you to play and a Tremolo bar. It also offers you an amplifier (12 watt with overdrive function), few picks, a digital tuner with EADGBE function, a special DVD, straps, extra pair of strings and a gig bag. The body and neck wood is made of mahogany and is coloured as wood only. // 8

Sound: It sounds somewhat like a Fender to me but overall, it doesn't produce that good quality sound. It is kind of noisy and the guitar can make a few sounds only like distorted, overdrive, clean and acoustic. The amp that you get is small (but free) and you get the Overdrive button available. You can change the Bass or Treble of the guitar too. It suits for a beginner! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as I know, the guitar is just fine for a beginner. I haven't faced any flaws yet and my friends, Who have played it for 3 years, also haven't. Since it comes from China, I guess it isn't that good but many guitars are manufactured there. Plus you get warranty so don't worry! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is what is disappointing. It isn't durable for Live stages. Put a whammy bar and say goodbye to this guitar. I don't think the guitar will last for so long so keep your money safe and think of buying a Gibson if you are experienced! Take my word, play it for open mic-night at small bars but not in a live stage! // 5

Overall Impression: I play in a distorted way mainly and yeah, it is good! For a beginner, you can try and learn your basics from here. I have been playing for more than a year and I appreciate this guitar for teaching noobies how to play. If it was lost, I wouldn't buy it again as a few more hundred bucks and you can buy yourself an Ibanez! What I love about it is that it is cheap and great. Since I am not a professional, I can't say more about this guitar professionally but I wished that it included at least 22 frets and more colours! // 8

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: canadianpenguin, on april 06, 2010

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: St. John's

Features: I don't know what year it is. 2000 something. It is made in Japan. Has 21 medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The finish is beautiful... A really nice deep red colour, highlighting the grain in the wood. It is a Strat-style guitar with a Strat tremolo bride, although the tremolo is much stiffer than a Strat's. It has one volume knob, one tone knob, and a five-way selector switch. Two Peavey single-coils and one humbucker. Non-locking cheap tuners. Came with gig bag, strap, picks, electric tuner, patch chord. Unfortunately, all the parts are very cheap, and they FEEL cheap too. // 6

Sound: I play everything. Although I don't play everything well. I mostly play (well) blues and classic rock. I play it through a 10watt Marshall combo practice amp. It has a lot of hum from the single-coils, which is to be expected. Surprisingly, the sound is extremely versatile and the different pickups each have unique characteristics. Neck is scooped, very soft and hollow. Mid is funky and twangish. Bridge is very rock-like. Can be twangy if you pick in the right places. EXTREMELY impressive for this cheap of a guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was extremely poorly set up. It was just sad, honestly. The pickups needed adjustment, too bad I didn't realize that until two years after I got it. Likely there were no manufacturing problems, just bad setting up. The finish is just plain beautiful. As for the action, it took 'till this year to finally figure out how to get it to play nicely. How did I do this? I scalloped it. Without scalloping, the action just would not get good. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig with this guitar without a backup. Despite being so cheap and hard on the fingers, it is extremely consistent and rugged. I could drop this baby down a flight of stairs and she'd still play just as badly as before. But at least I can trust it, so in a gig I know she will always play the same way. The finish has lasted 'till now without even breaking in. Quite possible the best thing about the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is not good. It is for beginners and that's as far as it goes. However, since scalloping it, it plays and sounds BEAUTIFULLY. Honestly, just plays like a beauty, sounds a lot chunkier now. Love it. I've been playing six years, own this, an old Kasuga, a classical guitar of no particular significance, and a Switch Innovo IV. This is better than the Switch, but hails in comparison to the others. If it was stolen, I would NOT buy another one. I would have a good reason to get a decent guitar that I won't have to spend seventeen hours scalloping. // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2005

Sound: This guitar is suitable for many various music styles, and can be used to play anything from country to hard rock/metal (which is what I play). I use it with my 15 watt "Mega" amp that came in the Starter Kit, and I haven't picked up a distort pedal yet, so I currently just use the distortion effects built into the amp, which sound okay. The guitar isn't noisy unless volume is maxed and tone is maxed with the amp's distortion turned on, other than that it emits no humming or feedback of any kind. I would say that this guitar definitely has a rich sound, complimented by the fact that it has a 5-way selector, almost any kind of sound is possible. This is a very clean sounding guitar. I can't really compare it to anything except for friends' guitars that I have played, but I have no dislikes about this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly when I bought it (except for tuning of course). Nothing was broken or damaged, and there was only one small flaw in the finish that looks like (but doesn't fell like) a 2mm wide dent in the body. The action was set up well, and all the metal parts were in good working order. There were also no problems with the electronics. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I play lots of rock, this guitar is a perfect match for me. I can get everything from decent acoustic sounds to heavy goodness out of it. I have only been playing for 6 months, and I haven't bought any effects pedals yet (but I will soon), so I just have a bunch of picks and an amp in terms of equipment. I have no regrets about buying this guitar, but if it were stolen or lost, I would buy a different guitar (now that I know what I'm doing). I love the 5-way pickup, because it allows for a wide range of sounds, and I don't hate the guitar at all. Unfortunately when I bought this, I did not have the slightest clue how to play guitar, so I can't really compare it to anything. Overall, the Peavey Raptor Plus EXP is a good guitar, with features that can appeal to guitarists of all styles. It is a well designed instrument that is built to last. It was perfect for a starter guitar because of its price, and it would be worth it even if it cost another $150. I love this guitar. // 10

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2005

Purchased from: Uncle Jon's Music

Sound: The sound from this guitar is very nice. I like to play to play mainly metal to classic rock bands like AC/DC and Metaliica and if thats the sound your looking for I would suggest this guitar. Right now I have a Drive CD300 amp it sound great but befor I got that amp I used a Peavy Backstage. The Backstage made a great match for this guitar as far as sound goes. The Drive amp has less powerfull distorsion but has more watts. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar new with one minor (less than 1 sq. inch) paint chip on the back. I didn't really mind because people only noticed it when I showed them. A week after I got it I was unplugging it from the amp and the hexagon nut where the amp plug goes through fell off. It was weird but easily fixed. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great. I've been playing cool tunes for almost 1 year. The S/S/H pickup layout is what I think is best and this guitar has that feature. I went to 3 stores seaching for a quality guitar in my price range (250$ or less) and this was the one for me. I suggest this guitar for any one who's looking for a low price, quality, and great sound. // 10

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2006

Purchased from: PMT Music Romford

Features: I've had it over a year now, its got a humbucker and a pair of single coils. Both can give a pretty good sound if used properly. Mines black, which means it shows finger prints and scratches quite easily but considering I've treated it quite porrly this past year its still looking and sounding good. It's not as good as a Fender of any sort in my opinion but for the money its still a good buy. // 7

Sound: I like everything, preferably rock though, I can get great Tom Morrello sounds using it. Single coils are probably a bit of a let down and even the humbuckers quite noisy, this is dealt with by having a built in noise gate within the guitar, its effective but cuts tone. I use it with an AVT50, a Whammy and a Boss DD6 Delay. To be honest I haven't tried any other guitars on my rig but had plenty of fun on other peoples and after playing many an expensive guitar I can say for its money it's very good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Black as I said before, let's see when I got it the pickups were set wrong, so I fixed them but broke the pickups screw hole, some tape has fixed it and its lasted a long time with the tape, but still it shouldn't have broke as I adjusted it only slightly. Also its jack connector wiring came loose and I fixed it with a soldering iron, again not somthing everyone wnats to do or can. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Based on above I wouldn't class the guitar as reliable its fairly well built but the let downs the electronics everything else is pretty sweet. Would I take it to a gig? Let's just say I would avoid having to if I could, if not I'd bring my soldering iron and screwdriver. // 2

Overall Impression: So yeah to conclude, it's a good guitar for the learner, it's diverse it can play many sounds and sounds great with my gear, but there better sounding guitars and also alot better built. If your a learner stick with a Squier the build qualities alot higher. // 6

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: VICSION, on march 12, 2007

Features: Ok this is my first review so It wont be the greatest. I like the guitar I have it suits the style of what I play which is everything from classical stuff like Beathoven to heavey stuff like Marilyn Manson. I must admit this is one of the most well rounded guitars I have ever played. I'm not sure what year it was made or really very much about it I just started playing guitar and this is one of Peavey's basic types. There are a great 21 frets on it great for starters from what I've seen atleast. The frets are from other guitars I've seen and played just a normal width and I am qute sure it is made of Rosewood and it is very dull so I doubt it is a laminated top. Now on with the rest of this Magnificant guitar. The body is just in the classic Black color with a White plate on it it looks ok but it is not the most amazing thing ever. The wood used I am quite sure is a Hard Fir of some sort I'm not positive what kind but it is almost a sandy brown color which is quite light in contrast to the dark red brown of the fret board. I'm not sure of the body or Bridge styles Like I originally stated I haven't been playing guitar for long enough to make the best review so I know I am missing out on some things. I am fairly sure it is in a active electronics the sounds are loud and clear and you can tell each different string on each different fret. Well this guitar is faily close to being a beginners guitar so it is that technical about it's features it has Volume control Tone control 5-way selector wammy bar holder/wammy bar.My tuner I know is not the greatest but it gets the job done I'm not quite sure if it is a locking or not but the make of it is a Peavey SPT-6G digital auto tuner I hope that help I know it isnt the best tuner out there probaly but like I said it gets the job done. It cost so much because my guitar came in a pack called a Back-stage Kit it included My guitar, 26 watt amp, strap, wammy bar, tuner, DVD on how to play, extra set of strings, 4 picks(1 light 2 meduim 1 heavey), A fabric case, The cable some tools and that's it. Well I hope this helped someone out hope you all have some fun Rock'n Poeples Faces Off or just trying to relax and listen to the music. // 7

Sound: The sound on this guitar is very clear and clean you can easily tell the difference between each string on each fret(the amp might have something to do with that though). It definately suits my style which is hard to define because I like to play almost everything but that's why I think this guitar is well rounded for really anyone form beginners to more advanced I wouldn't recommend it to those Who can play amazing and need a lot of extra's when they play. I like to use my amp distortion because I don't have a pedal distorter yet and I am using a Peavey Backstage 26 watt amp that one has the controls for Volume, Over Drive Volume(distortion, High and Low tone controls and that's it just very basic but it emitts a very clean full rich sound on any setting I use. The guitar can make many different sounds the variety is amazing and that's without the amp settings added on. I love the clean rich crisp sound this guitar and amp make together and I like how I can goto a really deep drk almost morbid sound to a very bright high ear splitting sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how it was set up at the factory but however it was it was very very well done. The pickups were fine everything seems/seemed Perfect so far and I think it was worth the money, There are no bends in the bridge no chips or marks(except for the ones from it slipping form my hands or falling when I set it on it's stand wrong). There were no flaws at all it came very well made there are still no flaws except the chips here and there. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is prob the most reliable guitar I have ever had I am quite positive that Live playing wont even match to sending this thing out of peak add on a bigger amp and voula you have a stage kit. The ahrd ware seems like it will last a good long time or atleast until; I get my new bigger amp and bass guitar to go along wiht my electric the one I'm talking about now. The strap buttons are solid and I would totally use it on a gig with out a backup unless I planned on smashign it before the last song but that wont happen. The finish is great even in the chipped out marks the finish still looks like it's there it is quite amazing and I'm sure it will last a lot more playing ho[pefully the strings will too. // 6

Overall Impression: I have stated many times I play classical Beathoven to Melting Face Godsmack And this guitar can keep up it's amazing and I hardly have to do any adjustments inbetween. I have been playing for about 9 months off and on and I have a bad very old acoustic I like to mess with now and then but otherwise nothing. Nope I asked everything I beleive I needed to and the guy was upfront about which one to buy and how this would help me more then just a guitar and he told me about everything and how it woukld sound and he was right non key rock on dude. Should my guitar get lost or stolen or even broken the first thing I would do would go out and but the same thing maybe a bit nicer one maybe with some nice decal on it but otherwise I am loyal to my Peavey Guitars. I love everythign about this guitar there is like nothng to hate except maybe the common black and white color that's about all I would change but my fav feature is not on the guitar it is the amps distortion it sounds amazing and I wish I could play some fae melting solo's with it but I'm not quite that good yet. I did compare the Pevey backstage kit to the Stratus backstage kit. I chose this one Because I have always loved Peavey and always been a fan and the spec on the kits were the same except the other one came with a polish cloth and some cleanuing something I think instead of a DVD so I chose the Peavey anyways. There is really nothing I could want mroe on this guitar for me at this moment maybe later in the future but not now. Ok that's it for my review rock some faces off everyone (amazing face melting solo, I wish). // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2007

Features: This guitar was bought for me. I was surprised when I got it. Mine is Black with a white pickguard and it has 21 frets the body looks like a Strat and it has a floyd Rose tremolo though I hardly use my whammy bar unless I jsut want to mess around, it has a 5 pick selector and 1 volume and tone knob. It has 2 single coil pickups and 1 humbucker I sorta changed the pickups a while because I kept hitting the side of them when I was picking really fast so I lowered them and I got it with a bag and cable and yadada. // 7

Sound: I guess it suits my style metal/heavy metal/death metal I usually have played just my own stuff that I think of. The use it with a Peavey Transtube 258 EFX Amp and unless you want really good distortion you would have ot crank the volume all the way up and too me the Vintage distortion sounds louder than the modern distortion and clean is good all around. There is a lot of hum so it will get bothersome for me. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I adjusted my guitar to my need and it still sounds good. I don't know how the facotry routed this guitar because I didn't buy it and the finish is getting a little scratched easily (nephews) but I guess everything else is fine other than the cable nut falls out from time to time if I don't tighten it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't rely on this guitar much unless you are sitting on a chair playing for a huge crowd not making any movement. So don't even think of using this guitar as a back up either. The finish is good but don't drop otherwise this guitar will start dying on you or keep away from kids like I'm trying to. // 4

Overall Impression: I paly metal heavy metal Death metal and classic rock and hark rock and I have started playing every since I got his guitar which was only a few months ago so I'm still learning hear and there if it were lost I would probably get something else. I'm looking more or less for a Schecter or ESP guitar. Other than that this guitar will see me through. // 5

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: djmay71, on october 31, 2007

Features: The features for the Peavey Raptor EXP Plus are: several different finishes, tone and volume controls, 5-way selector, nice stock action setting. What I really love about this guitar is that it was the first guitar I ever got, and I still use it, and it fits any style I like to play. When I got this guitar, I immediately brought it in to the local music store where they replaced the strings. I had specifically told them I wanted the lowest action setting possible before my sound quality would go down. After they had restrung it, they gave it to me to try out, and it was prefect and they didn't even touch the action! I got the guitar with a cheapie Peavey Backstage amp, a gig bag, no strap, a tuner and a set of Peavey picks, which I immediately threw out because I like my Dunlop Tortexes. // 8

Sound: When I started out with this guitar, I played everything from metal to country. I now play hardrock and metal more so, but I still play everything. This guitar stands up to all sounds. I have used several amps with this guitar. I have used it with my Peavey Backstage and Silvertone Smart III, as well as my friends Line6 Spider III and Peavey Bandit 112. On all the amps, minus the Bandit, the guitar sounded rich and full. To test all the amps I played a simple song I translated by ear, which I was not able to do on the Bandit because I was using it at band practise, and we had to get practising. I have never used any effects with this guitar, but I am sure that this guitar can take a beating. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said eariler, the action was dead on the way I wanted it when I got it. To date, I have never removed or adjusted the pickups, and the only time I have touched them was to make the sound of a Seagull (it's pretty easy to do). The finish was ok, but it wasn't the best, I had a few scratches on the back, but it was minor. My biggest hate about the finish could be that the cable input became very loose on me during band practise and later that night the entire input fell into the guitar. I easily opened the guitar up and fixed it myself. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have never fully gigged with this guitar yet, but I have played it thru a PA from backstage for a friends band when they had an amp malfuction and it sounded great. The hardware seems to be lasting, even after it falling off the stand a couple times, and after my amp and the guitar fell out of my van (the amp landed on the guitar). In the future, I plan to gig with it once our band gets off the ground, but until then, I plan to be doing a lot of birthday and retirement parties with this guitar. The strap buttons are extremely solid, but what I didn't like what that the guy Who owned the guitar before me, changed the stock buttons, and now I can't use a strap that has the strap lock function. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing this guitar for two years, and has so far stood up to the backstage gigging I've used it for and my great uncle's retirement party. Most of the time I play hard rock and metal, but I can play stuff like Blink 182 and Nickelback and it works fine. If I lost this guitar, I would defintely get a new Raptor, but just in a different finish.(I have a sunburst finish, and I promised my rhythm guitarist in my band that I'd leave sunburst and natural finishes to HIM). // 9

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: travislausch, on december 10, 2007

Features: Not sure when the guitar was made, but it was definitely around 2003-2004. Not sure where it was made, either. The neck is maple and the body is poplar (though I can't really confirm it, because I am going by what the regular Raptor has), and mine came in a sunburst finish. It features a Strat-like tremolo system, one volume and one tone knob (which is really all I need), a 5-way selector Switch, two single coil pickups and a humbucker in the bridge position. I wish this thing had locking tuners or something, so that whammy bar dives wouldn't affect the tuning, but seeing as how I rarely use the whammy bar for anything more than vibrato, I could do worse. This guitar is fairly impressive for one in its price range, being a really low-end instrument, but there are a lot of things that a guitarist like myself, Who has been playing for a few years and wants to have something better, needs that this guitar doesn't offer. Overall, the features are excellent for a beginner, but lacking for everyone else. My biggest gripe is the fact that it only has 21 frets, and I've become a much more advanced player Who requires a little more, which is why I'm starting to favor my Squier Stagemaster-7, which has 24 frets. // 6

Sound: Sonically, this guitar is quite suited to just about any style. The pickups were one pleasantly surprising feature on this instrument. It has a quite trebly sound through my Yamaha VX 65D amp, and a very clear sound with distortion. It's possible to make the sound a little bassier and muddier, though, if that's what you're aiming for. The tonal variety is quite nice too, since the tone controls and pickup selector Switch actually seem to work on this guitar quite well. Also surprising is that this guitar is not that noisy. There's not a lot of hum from the pickups, which makes it a fairly good guitar to look into for a beginner. Still, if you want something that sounds a lot clearer, and something a lot more expressive, you're still better off looking for a more high-end guitar, especially if you're not a beginner. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is perfect for my needs: not too low, not too high. Everything on this guitar was adjusted just fine, and everything fits together quite well. When I first got this guitar from my band's ex-vocalist, however, the nut on the output jack was loose, but that was quite easily fixed, and I haven't had a problem with it in the two years since. I wish the pickup selectors were of better quality though, and perhaps a little less noisy. As well, there's no information on this specific guitar's wood anywhere that I can see. A different Raptor model has a poplar body and maple neck, so I am assuming that that's the case here as well, but I can't confirm it for sure. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been used on stage a few times now, and I can say for sure that it's definitely held up quite well on stage. I've never lost my strap from the buttons, the hardware's held up quite well, as I've never had a problem with something cutting out yet, and although it has some scratches and a couple of dings from my rough playing, it hasn't fallen apart in my hands yet. I'd still prefer a backup, but I trust this guitar well enough to play it with confidence on stage. // 8

Overall Impression: As a guitarist who plays plenty of heavy metal and prog, I'd say that this guitar is okay for someone starting out, and it can pull off the tone of guitarists like Alex Lifeson (I got a fairly convincing "YYZ" tone out of this thing today) and John Petrucci, but the features it has prevents it from really standing out and being something that would make it a perfect buy. My seven-string Squier Stagemaster-7 doesn't quite have the clarity of sound, or playability, but it has 24 frets, and is a much more expressive guitar that's definitely of a higher caliber. What I do love about this guitar is that it sounds very nice and clear, and it has a very beautiful tone for such an inexpensive guitar. It's not the most expressive tone, but it definitely gets the job done. It's also quite a playable guitar, as it feels good in my hands. I don't like the fact that it only has 21 frets (even 22 would have made this guitar a winner), and that it doesn't have locking tuners. Those two features alone are what keep me from rating it any higher. Overall, this guitar is a great guitar for anyone just starting out Who doesn't want to spend more than $250, but for anyone Who is willing to spend a little more, there are much better choices out there. If it were stolen, I'd be pretty upset because I lost pretty much my main guitar, but I'd take the opportunity to buy something a little better to replace it. Perhaps an ESP M-100FM to tide me off until I can afford a decent Ibanez RG with a Floyd Rose. The final verdict is that this guitar is good for beginners, but avoid it if you're willing to pay more than $250. It's still got it's charms, but it's merely a taste of the greatness of the guitar, and not the full course. // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: Draltos, on july 29, 2009

Features: The Peavy Raptor Plus EXP is a Standard 22 fret electric guitar, with a laminated top, body and neck made of maple, and (in my case) a rosewood fingerboard. It has a Strat type body which actually looks pretty awesome, a 5-way pickup selector, and single volume and tone knobs. As for pickups, it has two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge position, ll of which seem to be made by Peavy. All-in-all, I think it has pretty good features for what it is: a beginner guitar. // 7

Sound: The sound on the Raptor is actually a lot better than it deserves to be, considering the overall quality of the guitar. It's fitted to pretty much any style of music, really, and sounds especially good with distortion. That said, mine has some seriously nasty fret-buzz sometimes, and came with a pretty low-quality set of strings. Strings can be changed however, and taking all into account this guitar has pretty good sound for the money. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: My Raptor has fairly low action, and the pickups are about 1/2" from the strings. To be honest nothing was wrong with the guitar when I first got it, although it appears to be made in China, probably in less than perfect conditions, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to blow up on me as long as I treated it right... how wrong I was. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Since I've gotten this guitar, the insides have been completely blown, the neck has been irreversibly screwed up, the strap buttons have all but fallen off, and it won't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes. At most. In all honesty though, this has all happened in the last year I've owned it, when I was pretty much ready to get a new guitar anyway. Before this guitar started to fall apart I've played it on stage (with a backup of course) and haven't had any major problems with it. Truthfully, this is a beginners guitar, and you only really need it to last a few years, at which point you're probably going to be ready to buy a better guitar anyway. // 5

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now, and got a new Godin about half a year ago which is approximately 2 billion times better than the Raptor. Back when I was a beginner, if this guitar had been stolen or lost I probably would have gotten a new one. All considered I would still say this is a pretty good beginner guitar, and you're not going to get much better for the price. // 7

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 18, 2009

Purchased from: A friend

Features: As for the features, it's ok. No problems with the tuners or anything, but the bridge stinks. It used to completely throw my guitar out of tune the second I touched the trem. The springs kind of got bent out of shape after a while too. The peripherals on the guitar were ok. The Peavey amp was good, as Peavey is primarily an amp manufacturing company, so that is to be expected. It is not really as good as a squeir though... Think of it as a trade off; Squire- Guitar=better Peavey= included amp=better // 6

Sound: Sound-As per the pickups, I was surprised. The 5 way selector Switch would have been better off as a 3 way, because it sucks in the middle back and middle forward pos. I play blues and classic rock mostly, but I play pretty much anything I can learn. This guitar actually covered most of the bases well, except I think it lacked a nice Strat quack, and was a little more suited for metal and distorted songs. However, I was pleased with the versatility and the sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good, but a little high for me if anything. The fretboard felt good, but it was kind of buzzy. 5 mins in the garage with a file fixed that for me. The pcikups selector has this demonic crackle... *Shivers* But the bridge is reaaaally loose. One bout of whammying and it sounds like my little brother got in the room and messed with all my tuning pegs. Can't really complain though; I've got my nice Gibson to turn to. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've had it for 3 years, no major breakages, except that the electrics stink so they wore out. Now there is lots of crackle... Need a compressor. Ugh. The neck can be bent like hell, and the soft case it came in was.... like plastic. No protection whatsoever. So if you broght this guitar to a friends house and it is damaged afterwords, blame the bag. // 3

Overall Impression: As a start-o-caster, it's fine. If you are a serious guitar player looking to get a stage worthy guitar, this is not it. Really, if you want to get a good Starter Kit for your kids, get a Squier starter pack and a Peavey starter pack. Give the more musically inclined one the Peavey amp and the Squier guitar; therefore he/she will sound better. Give the one that just wants a guitar but has no interest in playing the Peavey guitar and the Fender amp. Not a huge difference, but hopefully it will give all what they want. // 6

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: well I picked this up off of eBay. It's at least 2 years old and is the Chinese model. It has the 24 fret neck in maple and rosewood. Here on this board people are saying how heavy this guitar is I found that not to be the case it's much lighter than my Strat and it has an Ultra thin body. The previous owner who was female never even change the strings and there's not a scratch on it... So onto sound. // 10

Sound: I play every style of music and wanted this guitar as a beater. After a new set of strings were applied I kinda dig the different sound than my Strat. I'm playing it through a Fender 75 and Line 6 together with a DigiTech RPM 150 effects pedal giving me a wealth of sounds and choices. Do to the lightness I can see me playing this guitar a lot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is fast and light. And like I said not a scratch on it. The red finish matches my Strat so nobody will know who has ever seen me play will no the difference. I didn't adjust anything so far because it seems to be set up pretty good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Quality of build seems to be better than you would expect for a guitar in this price range and other people seem to think this guitar could do very well up against the $400 range of instruments and I agree with them. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 30 years. So we have Led Zep - Aerosmith - Green Day - Cheap Trick - Tom Petty - The Babys - The Vapors - Foster The People - Foghat - John Melloncamp - and the list goes on and on and on. So far if it was stolen I would buy another. // 10

Raptor Plus EXP Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2012

Purchased from: Falcetti's Music

Features: - Made in China - 22 Frets - Raptor Body Style - String-thru body Bridge - Controls: Volume, Tone, 3 Way Distortion switch - Stock model Pickups Accessories: - Extra Strings - Amplifier Included - Gig Bag - Electronic Tuner // 10

Sound: My guitar and I are like peanut butter and jelly! I play Progressive Rock, Glam, Classical, Hard, Metal, even Industrial. I play my guitar with "clean" for some of the softer classical rock, 95% of the time I keep my Peavey Amplifier in full overdrive. Guitar provides beautiful tone for "Stairway To Heaven" or "Nothing Else Matters". But when you drop this baby in to "D", she's gonna rock the house! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: FOR ONCE something from China is worth well paying for! Had this guitar for 6 months, and I have no scratches on it WHAT-SO-EVER! This guitar has been dropped a couple of times because the gig bag is a cheap piece of $@#!, all in all, the guitar should hang on a wall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My guitar is ready for anything! I've carried it around like Linus carries his blanket! In fact, this guitar has already performed once, only had it for 6-7 months! I would always like to have a backup... JUST IN CASE something goes wrong! // 10

Overall Impression: I play as light as The Beatles, to as heavy as Pantera! This guitar keeps up with me as well as a pacemaker keeps up with an ol' man's heart! Only been playing for 6 months. I would never "loose" it because if you touch my guitar with bad intentions, LOOK THE %^*& OUT! I couldn't choose my guitar, but I glad I didn't, this was a Christmas present. I really wish it came with a tremolo bar! // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014