Rotor EXP Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 07/11/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Peavey: Rotor EXP
The Peavey Rotor EXP guitar combines '80s metal looks with high-tech design and components. This all-mahogany, neck-through-body guitar delivers awesome tone and sustain without making you perform a balancing act on stage. The patented Dual-Compression Bridge System is a unique string-through design, creating a metal-to-metal connection for unbelievable sustain and stronger string presence.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.1
 9.3
 8.8
reviews (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Rotor EXP Reviewed by: AsShadowsRemain, on may 22, 2006

Purchased from: Ted Good Music

Features: This is an Indonesian made Rotor EXP. It's got 24 frets, a floyd rose/Peavey liscensed tremolo, 2 high output humbuckers, 3-way switch, 2 master volume and 1 master tone pots. The body is all mahogany and the fingerboard is rosewood. The model I purchased is Black with white binding. The body looks strikingly like an Explorer but with extra cuts in the body. The pickup configuration is H/H. the tuners are grover and have rubber non-slip rings. The electronics are passive. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of metal and hard rock and this guitar suits my playing style completely. I compared it to several Ibanez models and I chose this because this guitar matches my personality 100%. So far I've only been able to use a Peavey Valveking 112, and a small 10 watt practice amp with it and it sounds awesome. Since the body is full mahogany it has a very chunky low end and rounded high and mids. This guitar excels at lead and scorching riffs. With the floyd and the 3-way switch you can get some pretty neat sounds out of this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfect at the factory, intonation and action was perfect and tuning was also perfect. The pickups were also very well adjusted, with the bridge slightly slanted to give extra treble for those crazy leads. I only give it an 8 here because there was one small flaw in the finish when I bought it but every guitar you'll find will have some small flaw in the finish. The hardware is satin black and matches the body paint color very well. This guitar was perfectly set up and tuned before it was shipped. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried yet but I'm sure this guitar will be able to withstand live playing as it weighs about 10 pounds and feels rock solid. The hardware is very high quality and will last for a long time, judged by experience with same hardware on other guitars. The strap buttons are also huge on this guitar. I bought strap locks with it but the screw is too small for the front of the strap peg, and so I only have 1 strap lock, which is on the back strap peg of the guitar. The finish is very thick and durable. It will last because I have already banged it once or twice and no dents, scratches or nothing. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I play a lot of metal and hard rock, and this guitar was in black, I was tempted to try it out when I got to Ted Goods. To my surprise it surpassed my expectations and stunned me with how high of quality it has. I have been playing for about 4 years, and I have a Peaver Raptor EXP which is a great beginners guitar, but nothnig else. I asked everythnig I wanted to know before I bought this guitar so I would not be buying something I would have no clue how to use. If it were stolen or lost, I would not hesitate to buy it again. If I could not find the same model I would get a Peavey V-Type NTB TR in black. The thing I like the most about this guitar is its outstanding quality and playability. My favorite feature is the licsensed floyd rose which is absolutely stunning as I have used it heavily and I haven't had to tune once. I compared this guitar to 3 otehr Ibanez models and I was very dissapointed with them. In the end I went home with my new Peavey Rotor EXP. Peavey guitars are underrated and this is proof that they make excellent guitars, at an excellent price. Overall, I recommend this guitar for soemone who wants to play lead, or fast riffs. // 9

Rotor EXP Reviewed by: Kain_Doom01, on july 11, 2006

Purchased from: Freehold Music Center

Features: It has cool Grover pickups with holes in them, it's pretty cool, and the headstock fits the design well. The top strap holder isn't where I wanted it to be. I prefer them on the back of the body, the strap stays on much better, but it's really no biggie. The string presance and sustain is in no way what they advertise, it's far superior. It sounds very good accoustic, so I can practice unplugged! I love that. The body is an EX, with some nice cut-outs that give it an edgy look. It's got a string-through style stringing, but a tune-o-matic bridge look-alike, and the dual-compression headstock keeps this baby in tune forever! The only inlay on mine is on the 12th Fret, it reads, "Limited Edition." It's got 2 volume and 1 tone controls, which alternate sometimes depending on which of the 3 selections you are using. It can give you the "Sweet Child O' Mine" sound, no problem! It sounds mind blowing through a pwavey amp, but it's orgasmic through a Marshall! I use it whenever I can, this guitar I can rely on for anything! I can play rhythm, lead, slow, fast, bad, good, it doesn't matter! My only problems are that it came with no case, no strap, but I got 2 sets of strings of my choice with it XD. So I'll give it an 8. // 8

Sound: This guitar can fit any rock, metal, or shred guitarist! The look, the feel, and more importantly, the sound. I can do anytrhing with this guitar, I like to make wierd sounds using my pick and bending the strings down and up, closer and further from the pickups, it keeps the sound clean as it can be, and doesn't go out of tune! I play Live a lot, so I have to rely on my guitars to be in tune, and stay that way. This one, I don't even have to think about! In no way is this guitar noisy, I can't hear any feed back from it, and it's no problem to get it when I need to either XD If you ever get the chance to try this baby out, put it through a Screamin' Demon Wah pedal. You'll wanna buy both XD. Oh man, I don't know what pick-ups these are, but they are hot. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was very lucky, and this guitar had no problems with it's physical self, other than the strap holder's location, but it's Action is right-on, and the dots are on the right frets on the side of the neck. The finish was a very solid black, and that oil slick thing is very flattering to it, it also boasts a Cream binding all around the guitar. The high end frets are a little diffacult to reach if your hands are smaller, but long bony fingers, or fat long ones like mine will have no problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I always play live, like I sai before, even when I record, I edit minimally from the original take, and this guitar is perfect for me. The sound is professional and I payed far less than a professional guitar. The hardware seems like it'll last a lifetime, none of it is plastic, except for the pickup barriers and the bridge, and the prodominant menal guitars last the longest! The strap buttons are big, use cloth straps, Leatherones will kill you putting them on. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Metal, like Gwar, I love Gwar, they are geniouses, anyway, this guitar looks great against black, or white backgrounds, and since I'm into gwar, I'll have black backgrounds behind me and red will accent the black aswell. I have been playing for about 3 years and I own an ESP Viper FM-100, Ibanez IC-400, a Simon Strat signed by AC/DC, a Marshall MC-100 Head/Cab, a Roland Mini Cube, and I've never, in all the guitars I've tried out, heard this sound at this price. I wish this guitar had something for me to stick my, I wish it had 2 tone and 2 volume controls, then it'd be perfect. It wouldn't be stolen, this is never left alone, trust me, I take it everywhere. I love everything about this guitar except the top strap button, which I hate. My favorite feature is it vibrates, the entire body, that make amazing sound! But I ruin pants that way. I wish I asked for new pants before buying it. I compaired this to a Les Paul Standard, the Les Paul won, but this came very close, so I bought it, you would've too. // 10

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014