GL-300 Review

manufacturer: Rally date: 05/03/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Rally: GL-300
All in all if you want a Les Paul lookin guitar with a Les Paul sound and great sustain you can't go far wrong for the money.
 8.5
 9.2
 7.7
review (1) pictures (6) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GL-300 Reviewed by: Si Jonez, on may 03, 2011

Purchased from: Booths music, Bolton Uk

Features: I was looking for a good but reasonabley priced Les Paul style guitar, I'd tried Vintage and Epiphone, which were Ok but some of the build quality was not there. I saw these Rally Guitars in a local music shop to me and decided to try them out. The guitar is Chinese made which may put some people off but move away from guitar snobbery, these are quite a piece of kit for the money. The body is solid mahogany and I chose the flamed maple top a golden sunburst effect. The neck is mahogany with a rose wood fret board and set not bolted. The guitar was probably manufactured around 2008 / 2009. It has 22 frets with good defined fretting there are no rough burrs on the fret wire and it appears that it has ben hand finished, the finger board has trapezoid inlays which look like mother of pearl raher than plastic be it slightly thin. It cones with a Standard Les Paul set up consisting of a tune-o-matic Bridge and a stop tail piece all chromed. The controls are again 2 volume2 tone with a 3 way selector Switch the control knobs are gold in colour and again don't look cheap and are responsive. The pick ups are 2 covered humbuckers Standard on the guitar (no known manufacturer. The Machine heads are stamped Rally and are similar in appearence to Grovers. // 10

Sound: I play predominantly old school rock/punk music with a splattering of current bluesy rock such as Joe Bonamassa/Gary Moore. In relation to full on distorted rock the guitar holds its own with superb sustain from these pick ups both in treble and rhythm setting. I run at presnet through a 15 Watt practice Marshall at home and the sound for the price is second to none. I have played this through a Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp wth various on board effects and the guitar sounds superb. The guitar holds its own on full on thrash metal (Exodus, Testement and other 80's bay area thrash). Playing classic british punk Pistols, Clash, Exploited again the guitar sounds great. The tone controls between 3 and 7 are slightly limited but a quick change to diffrent pots will sort this out. All in all if you want a Les Paul lookin guitar with a Les Paul sound and great sustain you cant go far wrong for the money. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar was not direct from the factory so I cannot comment on this but from the shop I asked for the action to be adjusted and once home it was a pleasure to play. The pick up were great with no adjustment required. The finsih was superb for the money, the looks were great the finger board one of my main concerns was great the fret wire very defined and suits my playing, the one thing was after some hours my finers became black fom the lacquer on the fret board, a but of elbow grease and some Standard household wood polish sorted this out. The neck was comfortable all in all a great purchase. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Not playing live since the early 90's I can only assume that the guitar would stand up to playing live. The strap buttons are Standard so would recommend an upgrade to locking ones, all depenadnt if you stand still or go for it. I've played may guitars over my 44 years, inclduing Fenders, Gibsons, I have 2 Dean guitars at present the electric is the Vendetta 4F great metal guitar with 24 frets but this Rally has much more suptle tones for bluesy rock but can get down and dirty with the Dean (which will be buried with me). Always a concern is the chrome the hardware looks as if it has a good chroming job done but only time will tell. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock punk and bluesy rock when the wife is in, I am a die hard Black Sabbath/Ozzy fan and hail Tony Iommi as one of my all time guitar influences especially regards to metal. I also love Joe Bonamassa, the late great Gary Moore (R.I.P), Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page to name a few. I started palying when I was 10 classically trained and have been playing on and off since, I've owne numerous guitars over the years but have settled on my Dean Vendetta 4F, a Dean Tribal Acoustic, an Ovation which is decades old and this Rally Les Paul for its value and build quality, I have been informed but don't know if this to bre a fact that these are actually built in the same factory as Epiphone, maybe some one can she'd some lght on this. My loves the sound build comfort in playing and value wife and daughter prevented major expense, but I'm happy. // 9

More Rally reviews rating category latest review
+ Thunderbolt 8.9 Electric Guitars 09/03/2009