Thunderbolt Review

9.4
review (1) pictures (5) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Thunderbolt Reviewed by: sharky22, on september 03, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Well, with the price this thing cost you'd expect a real bag of wank in terms of features, but this is not so. It was made in china in 2008 from what I can gather, has a bound 22 fret set maple neck, mahogany body, metallic gold finish, Explorer style body, 2 humbuckers, 3-way selector and grover style tuners. For these kinda specs you're usually looking at 300, the no name pick ups however bring it just off a 10 in this department. // 8

Sound: I usually play most types of metal (Children Of Bodom, Metallica, Lamb Of God, Anthrax, Iron Maiden) but I do like to play a lot of classic rock and punk. I'm running this guitar through a Crate GT1200 stack, which can make guitars sound really terrible or really good. I own a Jackson dinky and through the Crate it sounds terrible. The Rally however really does the amp justice, with really bright cleans, a lovely classic rock sound too. The pick ups handle blues and rock nicely, metal is lacking a slight edge but there is still plenty of harmonic response and a decent crunch and on the high gain channel the pickups don't hum or hiss. I do not own any effects pedals currently due to a lack of funds but I shall be investing in some soon to get even better out of an already good guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This thing was ready to play straight out of the box. The action was nice and low, the neck pickup did need raising slightly though. The finish had no flaws, even around the neck joint. The bridge had tiny specs of oxidization, but this was very very minimal. Apart from that the guitar was fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Can't really say much about the reliability aspect, but it seems nice and solid, the finish seems like it will last a good 20 years. I would gig without a backup if my band didn't write in 2 different tunings. Only thing that annoys me is the tuners are really pretty crappy, but they can always be replaced and are definately worth replacing. // 9

Overall Impression: I really didn't know what to expect with this guitar, I took a big gamble and it really paid off. It does suit my style pretty well, and having played nothing but super-strats for 4 years I wanted something that felt more solid and built out of mahogany. I also own a Jackson Dinky and an Ibanez RG and I prefer this by miles. A word of warning for anyone with tiny chimpy hands, the neck is pretty beefy on this guitar and I doubt your tiny hands could cope. All in all I'm very impressed, even more so at the price I got it for. // 8

More Rally reviews rating category latest review
+ GL-300 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/03/2011