Guthrie Govan Signature Review

manufacturer: Rasmus by Suhr date: 08/15/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Rasmus by Suhr: Guthrie Govan Signature
This guitar was made to the standards of Guthrie Govan and that should be good enough for any other mortals alive.
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) pictures (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Guthrie Govan Signature Reviewed by: RichieJovie, on august 15, 2013

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Private sale

Features: If you don't know who Guthrie Govan is then I suggest you pop off and google him immediately. Often referred to as the Virtuoso's Virtuoso, this is a player with exquisite feel, amazing chops and beautiful tone. He has it all and much more. He had a signature series guitar with Suhr, this was a very expensive guitar indeed. Not too many Signature guitars out there in the 3000+ dept. His was. But then it is a phenomenal guitar. So to get the guitar out to the general public John Suhr went to China and asked how much it would cost to make that guitar, not how cheap they could make it, how much it would cost to make it. The Rasmus became that guitar. A Chinese made Suhr. They were then shipped back to the USA, stripped down reassembled and finished by the Suhr craftsmen themselves to their exact standards. Features: - Suhr Modern model body shape, 2-piece African Mahogany body - Mahogany neck with Indonesian Rosewood fretboard, white pearl face dots - Modern Elliptical .800-.850" neck shape - 16" fretboard radius, 1.650 nut width - Jumbo nickel frets, PLEK Process at Suhr USA - Gotoh 510 solid-saddles, Steel block - Chrome locking tuners and hardware - Black Tusq nut - H-S-H; SSH+ HB in bridge, SSV HB in neck and FL single-coil in the middle - 1V 1T 5-way custom wiring, Push Pull to Split Neck HB - Deluxe gig bag // 10

Sound: So as I said before if you haven't heard Guthrie go check him out, he runs the gamut of sounds. This guitar will go from screaming squealing beast to clean jangly tele in the blink of an eye. I use a Cornford MK50H amp head live and POD farm 2 in the office. I love this guitar because if offers all the greatest tones in one guitar. You want Hendrix-esque single coil neck pick up tone? It's there. You want Knopfler out of phase strat? It's there. You want a tele for all that country fun, guess what? It's there. You want to flick to a humbucker at the bridge and melt someones face? Yes you guessed it it does that too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is finished to Suhr standards. If you don't know what Suhr standards are, then all I can say is they are the highest possible standards there are, beyond Fender, Gibson, Ibanez and all the rest. These are the top standards for guitar and this guitar meets them. Before I bought this guitar I tried some of the Suhr modern guitars for comparison and I really couldn't tell much difference. This Chinese made guitar felt and played just as good. Shame they don't make them any more. The guitar is as easy and fast to play as any I have owned including my Parker Fly's, and they have fast necks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged the guitar a bit now and the tuning is there. Some dinks have appeared but all my guitars are dinked, I play them not polish them. I could gig without a back up for this guitar purely on the basis that it has the greatest guitar invention of locking machine heads. String changes take seconds and you can be playing again. So even if I broke a string I could carry on. However I would never do a gig without a spare. The guitar, despite being mahogany, is pretty light, which is good, as I can often be stood on stage for 2+ hours and my Les Paul really takes its toll after that amount of time. // 10

Overall Impression: So, you should check these out if you ever see one for sale. In fact just buy it. I currently am looking for more, and would happily have another one just as a spare. It has to be the best value guitar I have ever owned, and I own quite a few. The simple way to think about this, is it was made to the standards of Guthrie Govan and that should be good enough for any other mortals alive. We will never reach his level but it is nice to know we can play a guitar that would be fine for him and all he achieves on it. Video from YouTube:

// 10