Jetstream 390 Review

manufacturer: Reverend date: 07/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Reverend: Jetstream 390
Thers is NOTHING in the guitar world that comes close to the sound, feel and quality of this instrument.
 7.5
 4.9
reviews (2) pictures (4) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Jetstream 390 Reviewed by: Stevegio, on march 03, 2011

Features: 2007 model with Sunburst finish, Maple Neck and Fretboard, Wilkinson Tremelo, Locking Tuners and a Bass Contour control that lets you rolloff the highs without losing the treble. Incredible Quality Control. Made in S Korea and set up in the USA. Hard to come by guitars but if you can get to try one do so. You will be amazed. // 10

Sound: 3-P-90 pickups and 5 way switch givethis guitar versatality uinfound in any other instrument I've ever played and I've beeen playing for over 40 years and bought and sold more guitars than you could ever imagine and this is the best sounding guitar I've ever played. It's like an American Deluxe Strat on Steroids. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up at the Reverend shop where all there guitars are meticulously gone thru is second to none. This is a gig ready guitar right out of the box. Frets are glassy smooth. Intonation is dead on and the tremelo works flawlessly without any effect on tuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Joe Naylor-Owner and LuDesigner of Reverend Guitars builds the Muscle Car of the Guitar World. These guitars for the money are second to none. They are all set up in the Reverend shop in Michigan and signed on the bavk (actually initaled) along with a serial # written on the back. The archive at the Reverend website can date your guitar to tell you what year it was built by the serial #. Quantity is allways low on these guitars and they are hard to find for a couple of reasone. 1) athey only deal with limited numbers to maintain there extremely high standards and 2)every guitar and set up be hand by one guy and he checks EVERYTHING. when you open that box you have a "Gig-Ready" Guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: You coulsd shop your whole life and spend thousands of dollars and never come up with a guitar that even comes close. If you ever get to play a Reverend you'll know why they have such a cult like following. Thers is NOTHING in the guitar world that comes close to the sound, feel and quality of this instrument and in my 40 years of playing (I'm 54) I have never been happier with any guitar I've ever owned and that includes my Les Pauls..(everyone had something that need to be fixed or adjusted) and My legion of American Strats. None of them came close to what this guitar can do..Check out the videos on you-Tube. This guitar has no cons that I can find and if it were stolen I would search the country for another and pay up 2 3 times what this cost me (if I had to) because they don't make this style anymore. I play rock(classic), jazz, blues and fusion and this does it all. If your into Death Metal-(does anyone over 15 play that??) then go but an ESP or a Schecter or Ibanez. // 10

Jetstream 390 Reviewed by: markleehunter, on july 13, 2012

Purchased from: Reverend direct

Features: Made 2006, first run of the model. Chambered mahogany body, spruce top (!), maple bolt on neck, sperzel tuners, 3 Reverend P90 pups, volume, tone and bass contour controls, 5 way switch, graphite nut. Came with a decent gig bag, wrench. Has a Wilkinson tremolo that I blocked, I play slide and don't need it. Very well-appointed and designed instrument, especially at that price. // 10

Sound: I'm filing this just to temper the enthusiasm of Stevegio, whom I know from the Reverend forum. I have to say that he's right on the key issue - this is a very, very versatile instrument, with a wide range of tones. It hits single coil percussiveness and can also deliver very fat tones, thanks to the bass contour control, a great feature that adds or reduces low end. This instrument is very well known among its owners for its powerful low end response. On Delta or Hooker stuff you appreciate that. Highs are not as ice picky as Fenders can be, if you need that much treble you'll have to mod the electronics or get another guitar. There's very good quack in positions two (Clapton) and four (Cropper) as well. Very little hum in the three single positions, unless you're playing very high gain. It's hard to get a bad sound out of this guitar if you can play. It's easy to get a good one with a decent amp. I own a dozen guitars and this is the one I use on shows most, because it does any genre well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was fine, I adjusted action and pups to my taste (I need higher action than most and change tunings). No issues whatsoever to report. A few Reverend import owners had issues with the output jack, Reverend handled them. They take care of their customers. BTW, the guitar is substantial in weight and size, I'd say mine is 8 lb. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This instrument is as tough as a Strat. I've used it without a backup. Main thing goes wrong at any show is a string breaking, locking tuners make changes fast. This is a workhorse guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play RB, soul, rock, blues, lately jazz. This guitar can do a decent job with jazz (it's not a hollow body fer heavensake), and a great job with the others. For slide it's a knockout. I've done clips with this where people thought it was an acoustic, others where it sounds like Allman. There are guitars with more expensive finishes, but if you're buying a guitar to take to a show, and you like a warm single coil sound, this one will probably make you happy. These guitars cost a couple hundred bucks more now than when I bought mine, still worth it. I have owned Fender (Mustang, Jazz and Precision), Charvel (jazz bass), Gibson (LP Standard and LP 60s Tribute with P90s), Washburn (Steve Stephens signature), and other very good guitars. My amps are mainly Peaveys, I'm a bang for the buck guy and a Studio Pro 112 with a Tech 21 Blonde pedal is like a roomfull of Fenders. I've been playing 47 years, and I play some things pretty well. I currently own six Reverends, half USA made and half imports, all bought used except the Jetstream. I also own an Aria with 3 P90s that was a piece of garbage (electronics, hardware, everything) before I modded it, reminded me that the Jetstream was fine out of the box. I'd buy it again if I needed to. Don't be put off by Stevegio's rave. If you're looking for a single coil sound with more presence, you'll like this guitar. I'm giving it a ten because for the price, nothing's better, just different. // 10

More Reverend reviews rating category latest review
+ Sensei HB 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/03/2013