Les Paul Custom Review

manufacturer: Richwood date: 09/01/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Richwood: Les Paul Custom
Mahogany body, flamed maple top, set maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, chrome hardware, 24 3/4" scale.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.3
 8.9
 7.7
reviews (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on september 19, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was made recently (2004-2005) and was definately made in Europe (Germany I think). The set-in Nato neck has 22 frets, with a sonokelin fingerboard, into which the Gibson style block inlays are set. The gold 'Tune-O-Matic' bridge and tailpiece set this guitar off beautifully. The pickups are controlled by 2 volume and 2 tone pots, and a 3-way selector Switch (exactly the same as a Gibson). The pick-ups are Jimmy Page (Led zeppelin) humbuckers. The body (Les Paul model) is tobacco sunburst and its finsihed with a flamed top. It looks stunning. // 10

Sound: It suits my style well. I play rock/punk/punk rock music. It sounds great on solo's and power chords believe it or not. I use a basic 15 watt amp when I'm on my own with heavy distortion (low-0, mid-10, high-10). It sounds just like any Gibson I've ever heard, if not better!. The pickups are more powerful than normal humbucker pickups which is an added bonus and like all Richwood guitars, it plays beautifully. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very good on this guitar when I first got it. I haven't needed to change it at all. The pick ups were perfect as well. It was all well fitted and I had no problems with it, just a minor one, the belt strap pegs (where you attach your strap) were a bit loose but didn't need to be tightened up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand playing live! The pickups as I said before are stronger and better than normal humbuckers so you should have no problems with them. The hardware has lasted longer then I thought it wood, it still looks like new! As I mentioned the strap pegs/buttons were a bit loose at the start but with about a 5 minute job they are no problem now. I can depend on it yet but with all guitars you should take a back up, it doesn't matter if it's a Behringer V Tone or if it's a Gibson SG. You should always take a backup. The finish will last a long time, it's very well made. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock/punk music and it definaely fits it well. I've been playing about a year now, I have a Zoom 2020 FX pedal, 2 amps (15 watt, 80 watt) a 5 watt mini amp and other accesories. No, I really didnt need to ask anything about it. If it was stolen I'd probably try and buy another if not, I get a White Richwood Les Paul. I love the feel of this guitar, it feels so right. I really don't hate anything about it, apart from the fact that it's heavy but all Les Pauls and Les Paul copies are. I'd of liked it to of had pickup covers but I can buy them. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2006

Purchased from: Trad Music - Wakefield

Features: I believe this guitar was made in Korea, but I'm not sre, just so you know. It has a rosewood fingerboard that glides beautifully, that also features 21 frets. It has a laminated top black finish with a cream trim and gold hardware, its very classy looking. The body itself is made of maple, its a good solid wood, and's survived quite a few knocks. It has a 3 way pickup selector, sepereate pickup volume controls, 2 tone controls, a good Tune-O-Matic bridge, and was made fairly recently. Perhaps 2 years ago. // 9

Sound: I play a range of genres: Punk, classic metal, Indie and a bit of this crazy recent metal. And to be fair, les-pauls are just perfect for all of these. Even though it sn't a Gibson, this is incredibly vesatile with the adjusting of a few controls on your amp. I play through a Fender Frontman 15G 30 watt amp, and with my pedalboard, this sounds incredible. It sounds a little timid on low volume, but it's hard to find guitars that aren't. However, on full volume this guitar is a motherbitch to play, it sounds extravagant. To say it's a copy of a much better guitar, this doesn't let you down, and the price doesn't hurt either! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up wise, this guitar is flawless. I don't see any flaws to a Les Paul's original design! On the second frets there is a little string buzz, but you don't hear this through an amp, which is ok by me. The action is brilliant, great for smooth chord transitions and those fast riffs that you can't nail on most other major brand copies. Sometimes you have to adjust the pickups though, they can be easily adjusted though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Having had this guitar for just under a year, I have been a bit clumsy at some points. It's recieved some pretty big knocks, yet the bodywork and hardware have stayed undamaged, which I'm surprised at. The finish is close to perfect, just as I had bought it, with a little clean every month or so. The strap buttons wobble slighty, but with a strap on, its weight perfectly balances this out. I've gigged it once or twice, I spilt up a bands a few weeks after buying it, but it was phenominal live, and stands the test! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a close to pefect guitar. There is only a slight difference in quality to real Les Pauls. And that 900 quid off is a real heart warmer! I would by another one of these if it was stolen, definately. And my favourite feature has to be its versatility of sounds. If only it had a trem, that would be very admirable. If you're hard for cash and want to sound like Mr. Paige, or the overated Mr. Slash, then buy this. You wion't be dissapointed. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: colm c, on september 01, 2010

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: The Richwood Les Paul Custom artist series. The person I bought it off had it for two years but unfortunately I have no way of knowing when it was made or where. It's a 22 fret neck. It's not as chunky as actual Les Paul necks more off a C shaped neck. Its neck through construction and the cut away goes deeper than Standard LPs which gives greater access to the higher frets. It's a very comfortable neck more so than the Gibson necks. It's a solid top, mahogany body, Black gloss finish, cream outline and cream neck binding, tune-o-matic bridge, gold hardware, two passive humbucker alnico pick ups. // 7

Sound: I play mainly metal and this fits perfectly as the wide array of tones the I can achieve from it. I can go from a prog sound like Porcupine Tree to a death metal sound very easily. I play it through a few different set ups. Jamming I play it through a Crate GT3500 head and Crate cab. It has a whack load of gain and is really powerful and the Richwood shines through it. Warm lows but still a chunky rhythm sound and piercing leads which cut across well. It is noisy through that set up as it is quite a raw sound(no noise gate). Recording I play through a Line 6 Floor POD Plus into a Line 6 TonePort and through Gearbox. That has any sound I could want. So the sounds I can get with this guitar are unlimited. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well. It needed some attention though. Wiring was loose and pick ups had to be raised. But other than that it was kept in pristine condition. The action was as low as it could go and that suits me. But other than some buzzing one one machine head, low output on the bridge pick up the guitar was in perfect order. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank and the finish is beautiful and really tough. That said I wouldn't play live with it. I haven't had it long enough to rely on it live. But in time I may play with it on stage. I would have it as a Back Up for my main guitar, a Jackson RR3. The strap buttons look quite small, but strap locks will fix that. // 6

Overall Impression: It suits me as a musician, it fits well into my lap, the neck is very comfortable and fits my hands and it hangs well and is balanced. I've been playing 7 years and I've played a variety of guitars. This is one exceptional piece of kit though and right now is getting a lot play time but I still prefer the Jackson over it. I also think that this guitar is better than any Epiphone or Gibson I've played yet, but they're still alot of them for me to play! // 7

More Richwood reviews rating category latest review
+ RE125 CS 6.2 Electric Guitars 02/02/2012