360/6 Review

manufacturer: Rickenbacker date: 04/16/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Rickenbacker: 360/6
The 360 features a semi-acoustic hollow body with the top, sides, and ribbing carved from a single piece of maple. A solid back is precision laminated to the front, and features a bound rear edge and a rounded top.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.9
 Features: 8.7
reviews (7) 19 comments vote for this gear:
360/6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This is a 2000 Rickenbacker 360. It has 24 frets, and an extremely small delicate scale. It's made out of maple, is a semi hollowbody and has dead sexy grover tuners. My favorite feature is its blender knob. You can get very bassy tones, or the signature jangle with it, it sounds like nothing else. And finally it was made in America by skilled workers, not like my Warlock which was made by Santoso in the Phillipines. This is a plus for me. You can't be punk with a mass produced overseas type guitar. // 10

Sound: I play good old honest punk music, not the MTV or Warped Tour s--t. It's very anti-folky, in fact I bought this guitar because I have an unhealthy obcession with a band called Against Me! and Tom Gabel plays one of these. Anyway lovely sound. It is also a ska machine. You can get full chunky upstrummed chords or cool jangly minor progressions. The pickgaurd actually aids in this, upstrokes are really easy. This would be a crappy guitar to have for metal or an other kind of mindless angry white boy music, the single coil pickups dont distort in an unhonest metal type way, although the idea of not being able to solo on a rickebacker is poo, the action makes them great for that. So its a 4 for lack of variety, although it should be a 5 if you buy it for the right type of stuff. The 4 is because I had a mediocre experience with it in my one day in a hardcore band. They sucked anyways. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I was the third owner, so I have no idea what it came like from the factory. The pickups seem fine, it doesnt need any adjustments. A far as the finish goes, dont belive any of those stunning pictures y'all see online. They dont so it justice. The finish is a few millimeters thick, and is really reflective. That means it reflects whatevers int he room with the picture and doesnt look quite so stunning as it really is. The action is godly. It is the main reason to buy this guitar. It's simply amazing beyond explanation. I should debunk the myth of the small scale. Unless your an absolute beast it shouldnt be a problem. I'm 6 foot 2, with your average large teenage boy hands. I can make the A chord (the one that would test to see the fit of your fingers the best) with just barely enough room to spare. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thang will definently survive live playing. Think of everyone who used these. Google pictures of against me, and see tom getting yanked down by the audience and the like, and yet the Rickenbacker is still there and working, shining and triumphant. The strap buttons have only failed me once, but I was trying to play with my teeth and its a long story, I trust them more than the straplocks on my warlock. I would gig without a backup, and also without fresh underwear, if any at all. As far as the finish goes, I wouldn't be so worried if it werent so beautiful, but I am. The manual has a few pages on protevting the finish, it shoudl alst a while as long as your not an idiot. For a semi-hollowbody this is a beast. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for a year and a half, and was enticed by the siren song of this guitar. It was worth the $800, and will remain fabulous for a very long time. One warning, do not buy this if you have a crappy amp. It will not do it justice and you will be disapointed. I now have a 65 music man head for it, and a homemade cabinaet of a few hundred watts and I am content, before in the old days of the ampeg I was regretting buying it. If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy a new one, I would buy a baseball bat of a most high quality then find out who stole it. As far as comparing to other products, my dad keeps offering to trade me his 1976 Les Paul Custom for it. I just say no. It also doesn't have a prissy f shaped sound hole. Tis a manly slash mark. The picgaurd is also cool, in most pictures you don't notice it's rasied and adjustable. Remember, ska machine! You wouldn't think but it is. Also a folk machine! But bad for mindless angry white boy music! If thats your thang, dont buy this guitar, hit yourself with a rock and reevaluate your life. Then get away from that damn TV and computer, think for yourself, live in a juicy manner and go talk to people and make friends, and discover DIY and forget fashion. Let the Rickenbacker be your guide. // 10

360/6 Reviewed by: angus69, on april 26, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: 1992 Mapleglo 330/6 with black pickguards & hardware. Semi-hollow, 24-frets, ebony fretboard. Neck through body. 2 volume, 2 tone, groovy mix knob for optimum balance between powerful single coil pickups. // 9

Sound: I'd just like to start by saying that this guitar is definitley not for everyone. I play it combined with a Vox 15w and a Tubescreamer. I've played a ton of different electric guitars and I'd have to say that Rics are probably the most unique electric instruments out there. With that said, it can be a blessing at times, and annoying as at others. I was looking for a guitar that was a contrast to my Fender Strat, and I must say that this guitar fits the bill. The tone, feel, look, everything is completely unlike a Strat, obviously. However, I find this guitar rather difficult to play at times. I play a lot of melodic lead type stuff (U2, Radiohead, Phish) and this isn't necessarily a great guitar for that. The neck is very hard to get used to, at least for me it was. I still can't decide if I like the glossy fretobard or not. It's beautiful, but creates a lot of problems in playing lead. Also, it gets grimmy and dirty rather easily. My only complaints of this guitar lie in the feel of it. Everything about this guitar seems exaggerated, the thick, yet tight neck and the 24 frets create a strange feel that would probably turn a lot of players away. The scale length of this instrument is so bizarre, I kind of like it though. Overall though, the sound is great, the craftsmanship is wonderful, just not a guitar for someone looking to skip around with genres or play a lot of lead based stuff. I suppose once you get used to it, it could become your favorite instrument rather easily. Nothing out there is like a Ric. No noise, like all rics. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty strangely from the factory. The strings were waaaay high up, however I got that adjusted. Now they are a little too low, but regardless it's easier to play. I guess the pickups were adjusted well since they sound awesome. The guitar was brand new when I bought it, and it was flawless. Truly a work of ART. There is no Fender or Gibson that can match a Ric in quality control, especially at a 1,000 dollar price range. Probably because Rics aren't mass produced like Fenders and Gibsons are. The tone knobs are really cool, and the blender knob is unique and usable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is a monster. Nothing on this guitar will break, unless you are a moron and are asking for it. The finish should last if you are willing to take care of it, and treat it with the respect it deserves. You can definetely depend on this guitar when you need it, and I dont see a need for a backup unless you break strings easily. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I have pretty mixed opinions of this guitar. I love the sound and look, but can't quite get a grasp on the feel. To me, it just feels a little too akward. Between the metal plate at the bridge (making palm-muting somewhat akward and difficult), the weird scale length, the wickedly glossy neck, and of course the crazy size and configuration of the neck, it is just a little hard to play at times. The guitar feels very tight, which isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't the type of guitar you can just sit down and whip out any style with ease. I've grown to appreciate the guitar for its uniqueness though, and it fits my needs of being a truly original instrument. I hate Les Pauls and PRS guitars, but still wanted a Humbucker equipped instrument, and the Ric not only gives a humbucker tone, but a tone that is totally unique to any instrument. I don't see myself learning to love this instrument, but I don't think I could sell it. Be wary of the Rics, they definitely aren't something that any player will appreciate, but for some people it may be the best thing ever. // 9

360/6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 04, 2008

Features: I purchased my 360 in 1969. A six string in Fireglo with white binding, Grover tuners, Ric-0-Sound, and a Bigsby vibrato. It has two of the Vintage "toaster" style pickups. The neck (lacquer coverd) is thinner in thickness than the models that are currently being made. Back then it came with the classic, hard fiberboard case, a cleaning cloth, cord, and cheap leather strap. // 9

Sound: Here is where things get really subjective. I happen to LOVE the Rickenbacker sound. It is unique. It is not suitable for every style of music. If you want a guitar to sustain and scream into tomorrow, this is definitely not this guitar's strength. You can make it do it if you have some really good effects boxes to force the sound, but there other guitars such as Strats, Les Pauls, Schecters and many others that will do this style much better. Because of the independent tone and volume controls assigned to each pickup and the treble/bass balance control I can get some fabulous tones out of this guitar. Particularly enormous flexibility for clean tones. I play through a Boss GT-3 effects box and it feeds directly into a very robust PA system. I don't use an amp per se, however the GT-3 has amp emulation modules in it which allow me to sound as though I'm playing through a Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, etc. I've found the guitar to be quiet. It's treble pick-up sound will make the hair on your neck stand up when played loudly and pushed to near clipping. That Ric "jangle" comes singing through and will get people out of their seats and on their feet. The guitar was designed in the early '60s before feedback, distortion, and crunch were popular concepts. My assessment, it's forte is in clean to some degree crunch tones and to a lesser degree sustained feedback. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish is absolutely fabulous. A beautifully built guitar. I had no need to adjust the pickups. Action was reasonably low and very easy to fret. I personally like the lacquered neck, I guess it's what you get used to. I do play lead and have had no issues with the neck size or string spacing. One feature that I like but some won't is the size of the frets. They are not jumbos and don't stick very high off the fretboard. Particularly with the lacquered fretboard, the lacquer forms a small "ramp" on either side of the frets. I happen to like this feel as to me it's very smooth, but if you really like to dig in then you won't like the feel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar Live for almost 40 years and have never had a problem with it. The finish has held up amazingly well but after this many years of playing I have worn some of the finish on the back of the neck and on the fretboard down to the bare wood. The electronics and all switches and knobs are still original. No noise from the pots. I have played almost all my gigs with no backup instrument. I have a lot of confidence in this instrument. // 10

Overall Impression: I grew up in the mid-'60s so I have my root influences in the groups from that era. The guitar has a great sound for this era of music. John Fogerty also used one early on and got some good tones from it. I've seen several new artists using them now and they seem to be being doing quite well with them. I still followed music very closely on through the late '90s and have so many guitarist I like I can't name them all. I don't favor anyone's particular style. I don't care what they play, if they're good they'll get my ear. But I have played songs from Hendrix, Dire Straits, Eric Johnson, Cream, Van Halen, ZZ Top, etc. on this instrument. I must admit that the GT-3 played a big role in letting me do this as it also has guitar emulation capabilites programmed into it as well. For instance, I can get a Strat sound out of my Ric when using the GT-3. Certainly not perfect, but close enough to get by. If I lost this guitar I would definitely purchase another. Probably would get the 380 model, may get one anyway if I can find one. A previous post said that he had a Strat and bought Ric because it was so different. Couldn't agree with him more. I'm going the other way, I've got a Ric and will probably buy a Strat because it's so different from my Ric. I would think that owning these two guitars would give you tremendous range to play almost any style you would encounter. I like to play a variety of music: rock, jazz, blues, country, alternative, whatever, and I like using lots of different tones and the Ric along with the GT-3 suits me very well. Features I like are the small neck; all the tone, volume and balance controls; beautiful fit and finish. Just so classy looking. Dislikes; the Bigsby vibrato (after market installation) was the wrong model to have been installed. Looks great, but should have gotten a different Bigsby model. Don't like the bridge cover, fortunately it is easily removed. I'm not happy with the bridge design. I wish it was independently anchored to the guitar. It has great flexibility in it's adjustment capabilities, but is held in place only by the tension of the strings going over it. I've never had a problem with the design, but I think you give up some string resonance and sustainability because the bridge is not solidly afixed to the guitar body. // 9

360/6 Reviewed by: JBoyShyne, on december 20, 2004

Features: I bought this axe when I was kid back in 1976. Got it brand new. The reason why I'm writing this review is because I saw a glowing review of this axe posted by some else. Let me tell you the real deal about this guitar. While it may have 24 frets, look real pretty and have the Rick-O-Sound input for stereo playing (must be used with a stereo Y shaped chord), overall the guitar is a dog. It can only be used for chords in that the strings are so close together that soloing becomes a major problem. Thus, the guitar is for beginners and women. Ever notice that when Lennon learned how to play later in life, he didn't use a Rick anymore. Same thing goes for Townsend. However, I don't think Pete every really learned how to master a guitar. Again, a Rick is good for folks who only want to strum some chords and who have very small skinny fingers. I bought it so that I could look and sound like Lennon. However, one day I grew up and I wanted to sound like Hendrix, and then I wanted to sound like Muddy and Johny Winter and Vai and finally, I wanted to sound like me. You ain't gonna sound and play like Hendrix, Muddy or anybody worth talkin about on a Rick. // 6

Sound: The Rick pickups are only good if you want a Rick sound. Other than that, the pickups are terrible. With this in mind, I removed the Rick pickups and added 2 Bill Lawrences. Then I added one of the Rick pickups into the center. Now, at least I can get some different sounds with the thing and if I ever need the Rick sound (I never need the Rick sound anymore), I can always use the center pick up. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: It's easy to adjust the action and the neck has 2 rods. Finish is pretty, it is a real pretty guitar but again with the strings being so close together got mark it down. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After 30 years, yer gonna have some problems. For example the pick guard cracked but I was able to glue it back together. All in all it has held up pretty well. One of the suggested questions is would you use this guitar at a gig without a back-up? Never never only bring one guitar and if you had to only bring 1 guitar, don't bring a Rick, unless of course you are only standing around looking pretty. // 6

Overall Impression: I saw a chick at a music store who was all set to buy a Rick for a couple of grand. She was a beginner and she only wanted a guitar to play chords and sing along. I talked her out of the Rick and helped her find a really good Tele for only a couple of hundred. I think that says it all. // 4

360/6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2006

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: After 7 months of waiting, my Rickenbacker finally came. It came with a hard case, and a cloth, but that was pretty much it. If you ask the store, they may toss in some picks and a cable or two. The body is of a maple construction, with a walnut/maple neck, which just looks beautiful. I had mine fitted with the Vintage "toaster" pickups. As you probably know already, Rickenbacker 360s are 24 fret guitars, allowing you to play a full second octave. // 9

Sound: I also got a Rick-O-Sound box, which really allows you to do some crazy effects. I haven't really experimented with it much, but being able to output to two amps gives you lots of possibilities. You can pan the pickups with this little knob. The sound is much like any other single coil, but is fairly distinctive as well. You can get a nice, sharp clangy sound, or jack the bass up, for a deeper, meatier tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: If there was a 9.5, I would give it. The finish is perfect. Again, photographs don't do it justice. My only complaint is the high gloss on the fretboard. Pretty as it may be, it makes the guitar slightly harder to play, as it almost feels like running a wet finger throigh rubber. It's not too big of a deal, but it's not as "fast" as something, say, a Stratocaster. Then again, I doubt many will be shredding or playing fast solos/fills on a Rickenbacker anyway. The whole preception of being a rythem guitar is kind of false, as the strings aren't really that close together, and aside from the glossy fretboard, it's just a joy to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Despite looking fairly fragile, (probably due to the remarkable finish, and the lightness, due to the hollow cavity), this thing is solid. The finish looks plentiful, and should last, as long as you don't make any concious effot to scratch it. This is definetly something I would play live, and definetly something that will last. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar deserves a 10. For $2000, this thing is remarably cheap. It's all a matter of taste and preference, but if you look at a Les Paul, or a fancier American Strat, the worksmanship and finish of the Rickenbacker just blows you mindas to how could they make it so inexpensive. It feels like a $5k+ guitar. I personally have an American Deluxe Strat as well. While it offers a wider variety of tone (due to the S1 switching), and is much "faster" to play, due to the conservatively finished neck, the Rickenbacker offers a beautiful, distinctive tone, and the looks to match. For $2000, it's definetly worth it, if you're looking for a good, solid guitar. But if you do a lot of faster single-note stuff, make sure you have another guitar, sand down the gloss on the neck, or get used to the "squeakiness" of the fretboard. // 10

360/6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 01, 2004

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

Features: Nothing to special at a first glance, you got your basic 2 volume, 2 tone controls with a 3 way pickup selector. One thing that is nice about this guitar is the extra tone knob which allows to blend the pickups (neck, bridge, etc). It also comes with 2 inputs, one the normal, and the other the stereo rick-o-sound input. In order to use the rick-o-sound jack though you have to buy a 80 dollar canadian add on, which in my opinion should have came with the guitar. // 8

Sound: This guitar totally fits my music style, I play anything from the Beatles and The Byrds to the Coldplay and Oasis. I'm using it with a Fender Deluxe, and generally it just about imitates any of those sounds that produced by those groups. It generally isnt a noisy guitar, and from what I was told by my guitar tech, it is a 'light playing' guitar meaning that if you generally play guitar hard, it will make your chords out of tune. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Sadly the action was set too low from the factory, I was kind of mad that L&M didnt give me a free set up when I payed 2000 dollars cash for a guitar. To give you and idea of how low the factory action was, when I picked a tune, the guitar strings would hit the pickups, causing some minor scuffing. Everything else though was in tip top shape. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definiatly withstand live playing, I've had it for just about 2 years now, and haven't broke a single string on it. The strap buttons seem to be solid, and I havent brought a backup to a gig. The finish is excellent, but would probably wear, like any finish, if the owner doesnt regually clean and polish it. I recommend after you play to use the Rickenbacker cloth included with the guitar to wipe off any grime before packing it up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock'n'roll non of this fake shit, this is indeed a good match if your looking for the rock sound of the who, or that twangy sound of the byrds. This is so stunning visually most players wouldnt even play it, just buy it for the good looks. If it was lost or stolen(which it would never be) I'd cry for days, then probably save up to buy a new one. This guitar is totally rock'n'roll! // 10

360/6 Reviewed by: rem857, on april 16, 2010

Features: The Rickenbacker 360/6 is a beautiful guitar made in America. Love it to pieces. However, a warning. The Ric is NOT for everyone, you really should try it out and be 100% sure you will like it. anyway... it has 24 frets, a beautiful body shape that is semi-hallow. The bridge is floating, so kinda annoying to string. The pickups used are Vintage Toaster Humbuckers, which give the famous jangle sound to the guitar (to get the full sound use a tube amp or a Peavey) which is great clean, and does decent on distortion. Don't use it for metal, I tried it and it did not work. The tuners are non locking and work quite well. Best part, the RIC-O SOUND. It will be explained in the next paragraph below this one. // 10

Sound: If you are interested in the Ric, I would suggest listening to The Byrds, R.E.M., The Smiths and bands along those lines. Has a bright and jingle jangle sound to it which is great if you are into arpeggios (like the bands mentioned above). Like said before, don't use it for metal. If you want to hear a distorted Ric, listen to the album Monster by R.E.M. They add alot of overdrive and distortion to it in songs like What's The Frequency Kenneth, Bang And Blame, Circus Envy, and Crush With Eyeliner. But if you are looking for the classic jangle sound, listen to early R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe, Pretty Persuasion, So. Central Rain, Wolves Lower, ect...) I right now use it with my church band. The other guitarist uses a ESP, and even though both are very different, a Ric can work with alot of styles. Just practice many different styles and listen to the music and the Ric can fit in (EXCEPT METAL!) There is even a second input made for the very unique RIC-O Sound. The only way to use the Ric-o Sound is to buy a split cable so the bass goes one way, and the treble goes through the other chord. Very useful with a Tube Amp // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I bought was used, however I have played a new one and I loved the action and feel. The pickups are set extremely well, and will give you the sound you expect from the Ric. Everything is set perfectly. No flaws what so ever. Thats all there is to say. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ok, every amazing guitar has its flaws. The Ric has flaws even though it is the best guitar I ever bought. The guitar will withstand long periods of playing. However, if you want to keep the finish in good condition, clean it off after every use with the cleaning rag Rickenbacker gives you. The hardware will last you for awhile, so no worries there. I hate that one question is "Would you use it on a gig without a backup?" ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP! If you do not have a choice though, the Ric is extremely dependable. On several occasions, I could only bring one guitar, and every time I have chosen the Ric. Dependable all the way through, even though it is kinda fragile. As for the finish, look... just take good care of this guitar and it will stay fine. // 7

Overall Impression: I play every style (Classical, Jazz, 80's. 70's, 90's, Grunge, Jangle Pop, Rock, Alternative, Metal, Indie) Just don't use it for Classical (it's not a classical guitar) and don't use it with metal. Otherwise, it works for every style I have mentioned above, probably even more than those as well. I have been playing for quite a few years and have tested many guitars. The Ric blows them all away, no contest. However, I wish I had known before hand what amp to use, so I am now stuck with a crappy Fender amp. If this guitar ever was stolen, after crying like a fool for many weeks, I would buy another one. They are worth it. High prices, mine was a actually higher than most since it was used by a few famous artist, but worth every penny. The sound and shape just make it so unique. I love not sounding like everyone else. To many people play Gibsons and Fenders and I think they sound boring. Buy one of those if you want, but I will never trade my Ric for even the most high end Gibson. EVER. The greatest feature is that even when the Ric-O Sound is not engaged, you still get a bright jangle sound. I shopped for over two years before deciding on the Rickenbacker 360. I went through every brand I could get my hands on. But that day I first played the Ric I knew it was the one for me. Before you buy it, PLEASE TRY IT OUT, NOT EVRYONE IS FIT TO THE GUITAR. The guitar is perfect the way it is. I would never change it. // 10

More Rickenbacker reviews rating category latest review
+ 4003 9.4 Bass Guitars 03/26/2014