335 Legend Review

manufacturer: RJ date: 11/21/2006 category: Electric Guitars
RJ: 335 Legend
22 frets, solid top, two volume, two tone controls, 3 way selector switch, 2 chrome covered humbuckers.
 7.6
 9.6
 5.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
335 Legend Reviewed by: gnubee, on november 21, 2006

Features: Made in 2004 in the Philippines. My brother who is a retired military expat living there, sends me an RJ every year for Christmas because I like them. This is the one he sent Christmas of 2004. Everything is just like a Gibson 335 or Epiphone Dot. Quality is probably not as good as the Gibson (don't own one, so don't know) but it is better than the Epiphone model because I did own one of them. 22 frets, solid top, two volume, two tone controls, 3 way selector switch, 2 chrome covered humbuckers, don't know the brand, but RJ pickups are supposed to be made in the states and I believe it because they sound very good. Passive electronics. Mahagony body and neck. Mine is cherry red with a black pickguard, very nice finish. Double cutaway. Tune-O-matic bridge, stop bar tailpiece. Very good grover style tuners. Medium neck and frets, set neck. My brother sent it in a very nice hard shell case, but I don't know whether it came // 10

Sound: I play blues, blues rock, southern rock, some hard rock and some country. Suits them all just fine. I'm using this with a Marshall MG10CD in the bedroom and an old Marshal Valvestate 8040 in the living room. Sounds good on both amps. Very woody, rich sound. You can get a decent twang from the bridge pickup if your amp settings are good. Has excellent sustain, sound quality is very nice. Damn good guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect. I had it setup here because it was sent to Georgia from the Philippines and I just went ahead and had a tech set it up like I do all the RJ's my brother sends before I even play it. The tech here thinks they are great guitars, he's both a luthier and guitar tech and says the RJ guitars are just as good as any Epiphone or Fender he's seen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar was tested in Live playing and will no doubt give a long service life if taken care of properly like any other guitar. I have replaced the bridge with a Gotoh G103 to provide more intonation adjustment which was a bit lacking. Otherwise, all the hardware which are sourced (I am told) from All Parts, will last. The finish is excellent, better than other well known guitars. Strap buttons are solidly mounted. I always have a back up guitar for other reasons like string breaks. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one hell of a guitar. Good for the world. For the cost to produce, I am sure this and any other guitar made by RJ in a stringently controlled manufacturing environment will rate well globally. Since the guitar I have was only one of a handful made, I would assume more focus on quality. I think it's the 1st RJ original I saw. // 10

More RJ reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Pu Bass 6.1 Bass Guitars 06/14/2013