Les Paul Custom Review

6.5
reviews (2) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: gnubee, on november 20, 2006

Purchased from: RJ

Features: The Les Paul is the latest addition to RJ's line of custom guitars. It is made in the Philippines but the components are imported from the US. It has a maple arched top with mahogany body and a rosewood finger board. It has 22 frets with pearl inlays. The same 4 knobs in a Les Paul and a 3-way pickup switch. The humbucking pickups have alnico magnets and were said to be imported from the US. All in all this is a very good copy of the Gibson Les Paul model. // 10

Sound: The Les Paul is my dream guitar ever since I first learned to play the instrument. And Slash is my guitar hero. I like the Les Paul for it's simplicity. No whammy bars, nothing special. Just a bare, butt-kicking guitar that can blow away any amp. This suits my playing style which goes from heavy metal, hard rock, or blues. No dive bombings nor complicated sweeping, nor tapping and other exotic techniques, just simple playing. Just like Slash. but I don't know my friend has a epi les paul and I can admit it mines sounds better (not because I own it). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups need some height adjustment to get the proper volume when switching from bridge to neck. I didn't notice any fret buzz. Mine has a tobacco burst finish with tiger stripes, very beautiful. It look exactly like the Gibson Les Paul Standard.. but I think the sound is better! cause Gibson's are in mass production this guitar was only made once 1 month (the sales person says so). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I got this guitar for barely 2 weeks. I still have to experience it with 40watts Marshall amp during one of our gigs. There is a 6 months warranty though and I think that is good. // 8

Overall Impression: I've have been playing 15 years. I think this is the last guitar that I will ever buy since I already have 7. I think I already have all the basic sound guitars and it's versatility. Thanks to my Nighthawk (for all purpose sounding guitar). Gibson Les Paul(Expensive but it's Gibson), Fender (what can I say), RJ Rocker (the guitar I use when it's time for some metal sounds), and RJ Les Paul (the best sounding guitar I have used for blues, hard rock, and other softies and Jazz musics). But again Who would buy that if you could get the same quality for only $190? // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2012

Features: Body is made of Alder, neck is made of Mahogany with Rosewood fingerboard. Very nice glossy black finish. Set-neck with 22 frets. Chrome MIK Hardware (Tune-O-Matic style bridge, Gotoh style tuners). Passive electronics with 2 Metal-covered Humbuckers. 2 Volume and 2 Tone Control. 3-way Selector. Typical features of a LP copy. Mine came bundled with a regular soft-case, guitar strap, guitar pick, 10-watt practice amplifier. // 8

Sound: Stock Pickups are pretty decent. Currently using this with a 18-watt amp and a Zoom G2. Has quite a feedback when high gain but that's expected. Pickups are good for bluesy tones, mainstream rock stuff or songs using heavy chords. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was horribly set-up at the factory. Lots of string buzzes and dead strings at the higher frets. Pickup height wasn't properly adjusted as well. The nut wasn't properly attached. Also had tuning issues with it, some of the strings would go out of tune after a day or two. Also had significant feedback at higher gains. Nothing a luthier can't fix. Try to adjust the action or have this professionally set-up first before trying to gig with this. The finish is surprisingly good. Very nice glossy black finish. This guitar is also pretty heavy. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Had this guitar for a few years already, it seems sturdy enough. I accidently dropped this once and it wasn't even scratched. Chrome hardware still looks good. Screws didn't rust that much. I would recommend changing the tuners though, had a minor issue with the stock ones. Just have this set-up and you could totally depend on this without backup. Finish seems to last as well. // 9

Overall Impression: You'd love this guitar if you're looking for that Vintage tone. This guitar can also do modern rock and is great for songs with heavy riffs. I can't stress enough how nice the finish is and the stock pickups hold their own as well. My only beef is how this guitar was assembled. I don't know if I just bought a badly assembled one but to be sure just have this set-up and you'll get a pretty decent LP. I'd probably buy one again If my guitar if gets lost/stolen. You'll get a guitar that has alot of potential for a very cheap price. I would definitely recommend this for those who are looking to own an LP or for a beginner looking for a decent guitar. // 9

More RJ reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Pu Bass 6.1 Bass Guitars 06/14/2013