Strut Review

manufacturer: RJ date: 06/03/2014 category: Electric Guitars
RJ: Strut
This guitar is a great Stratocaster copy with the wrong stuff and setup.
 4.7
 5.8
 3.5
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Strut Reviewed by: rocky.clavecill, on june 03, 2014

Purchased from: RJ Guitar Center

Features: Made in the Philippines.
- Left Handed RJ Strut
- Body: Alder
- Bridge: Tremolo
- Pickups: 3 Single Coil Passive RJ Brand
- Switch: 5 way switch - Controls: 1 Vol 2 tones

When I first played it without the proper setup done. It sounded great. Bought it at an RJ cash sale at 50% off and yes I still didn't have it setup yet to this day. RJ Guitars tend to be not setup properly but that depends on the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play grunge to modern rock it suits this kind of playing style. I play this through a Zoom G1XN in a Mac Smith MS15 15 watt amplifier. It sounds ok for a beginner like me who already turned pro. In 2 years. When I bought it the output jack was rusted and had it replaced with a stainless one, so is the pots and cables. It can make any kind of sound thus the Stratocaster being the overall guitar that can make any sound through it's 5-way switch. I recommend putting the switch to the bridge position and that can get you a John Lennon Rickenbacker tone. Put it in the neck position and you can sound like Eric Clapton to Jimi Hendrix. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't have it setup properly still finding someone who can set it up properly, if someone is interested to set it up please pm me. The pickups are aligned perfectly, although I see some pickup screws that are not screwed on but I guess they did that so it can be adjusted to it's proper height. The guitar has a bit of unstable tuning, when I want to play power chords cause when I hit the D or D# power chord the tune is off lots of sustain and the tuning was stable before I power chorded, after off tune. So when I power chord I tune the g string a little high and then power chords are in tune. As I said the output jack was rusted when I bought it, but the other parts are ok. Paint quality is bad. I suggest stripping the paint of the body and painting it with a reputable brand of paint. // 2

Reliability & Durability: If this was setup properly it can withstand anything. Pickups will last as long as no water goes to them (like that would happen). But electronics, nope. I had the pots and jacks and cables replaced. Strap buttons are big than a usual strat copy and it's ok. I can't use this without a backup Les Paul/V/SG/whatever humbucker guitar. As I said, replace the paint on the body, it's been 2 weeks since I've been using it and the paint is tearing off and I didn't even touch the parts. If you replace the paint it will last. // 5

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years and learned a lot in those 2 years. I wanted to ask if they can have it setup properly since the cost was high and it sounds like ****. If it was stolen I would not buy it again, I would buy the original Fender Strat. I love that it's a great copy with the wrong stuff and setup. (Love = Hate). I compared this with my old Rockstar China strat copy and yes, my old one sounds better, plays better, than the RJ. I wish it had a Floyd Rose tremolo so it will have no more tuning problems. // 5

More RJ reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Pu Bass 6.1 Bass Guitars 06/14/2013