Electric Guitar System Review

manufacturer: Robson date: 12/15/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Robson: Electric Guitar System
A complete package to electrify any music enthusiast, the Robson amplified electric guitar system comes with everything you'll need to start strumming. Along with the guitar, you'll get a 10 watt amp, an interactive tutorial CD-rom, nylon carrying case, shoulder strap and even an extra set of strings.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.6
 Features: 7.2
 6.2
 5.8
reviews (5) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Electric Guitar System Reviewed by: los92, on june 22, 2007

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: I just bought this electic guitar form best buy. I got this because I am a beginner and I didn't want to spend to musch money on a guitar. This is an okay guitar. It was made in China. Mines a solid black with a white pick protecter. it has 21 frets. It seams as if the body and neck of the guitar are made of a wood/plastic compound. It came with a 10-watt amp, cable, extra strings, the guitar, a soft case, picks, and a strap. It has one volume knob and 2 tone knobs. // 7

Sound: This guitar wouldn't be too good to use in a gig. it sounds fussy and cheap when the volume is cranked up it's made more for practicing. The strings sound a lilttle fusy and I suggest that you Switch them. The one thing that I don't like is that the amp has no distortion features on it so I can't really rock out with it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came fully assembled. I made some minor adjustments to the strings, the pickups, and I had to tighten the cable connection on the guitar. It can take dents and knicks without messing with the sound of trhe guitar. It came to me with the neck a little bent so I had to gt a few adjustments on that but other than that it came to me in great shape and might need to be fixed every once and a while. Also the strings come out of tune easily and need to be tuned often. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was made for begginers that at fiorst wont be too carful with their guitar. It can definetlly take a dent or two. You don't havee to woorry about the strap buttons they are on there so good that they'll never move. I would not suggest using thsi in a gig it is far too cheap. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a great guitar for beginners. It comes with a nice amp and everything you will need to get started except for a stand and a tuner but other than that this guitar has seved me well and I will continue to use it until I improve my skills and get a knew guitar, which will probably be a Fender. // 8

Electric Guitar System Reviewed by: Zofar, on march 16, 2006

Purchased from: Future Shop

Features: Being a basic beginer guitar. It has nothing special, but nothing to be needed, with 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, black Stratocaster like body, 5-way pickup selector, 2 tone and one volume control. It has the basic 3 single coil layout that the Fender Strat does, it looks nice too. But it goes out of tune quite easily. It comes with everything you need, amp, cable, picks, strap, etc. // 8

Sound: I play rock and metal mostly, but this guitar can pretty much play it all. Being a beginer guitar it has good flexibility, I notice quite a bit of fret buzz when playing a but fast, but nothing that will hinder your learning. I have used it with a 30w Line 6 Spider and it sound really good. I was suprised at how well it sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: One problem I have with it is the volume and tone controls are very lose, but still repsond well. Like any guitar, I strongly reccomend switching the strinfs as soon as you get it, luckily, it comes with sone extra. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this live at all, but it is not meant to be used, so no problems there, the strap buttons are stronger than the ones on a Fender Stratocaster, my brother complains about them often on his Fender, but I have no problem with these. No paint problems as of yet. // 5

Overall Impression: I got this guitar for christmas this year, this is the only one I own, but I have played an Epiphone SG 410 and Ibanez RG 170, and this can stand its own against both of them, not very well, but it can. I highly suggest this to someone starting out, it is a great little package for a good price. // 7

Electric Guitar System Reviewed by: krymson, on august 14, 2006

Purchased from: Future Shop

Features: This is a starter set. Comes with an amp, and Strat style guitar. The amp is 15W which is great for practicing. The guitar is a standard black Strat, 21 frets, with a white pick guard and two pickups. It has a 5-way switch with a volume and two tone knobs. It came with a soft case, a patch chord, picks, and some instrucional CDs that I never used. // 10

Sound: The sound is pretty dull. Great for starting because you won't really notice, bt once you pick up a Epiphone or something you'll notice. I've ran it thorugh the strater amp, and my Marshall MGDFX and it does it's job. It buzzes a whole lot, on pretty much any setting but more if the volume on the guitar is up high. The guitar is good for rock and punk pretty much. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me perfect, the action everything. The picksups we're fine, the bridge was proper. There we're no flaws except the material to make the guitar was very cheap and scratched easy, but hey itsa 100$ guitar so Who cares. For a future shop guiat I was pretty impressed. My friend got something along these lines and the slots where the string goes for the but was huge but this is fine the way it is. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand live playing, but with buzzing you'd be forced to keep the guitar low. The guitar seems like it'll last. This thing has a taken a hell of a lot of abuse. It's dented been knocked over countell times band on desked, chipped everything. The wood seems to dent pretty easily though. The start hardware seems like it'll last though. // 7

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal now, and it doesnt't give me a good enough sound, but it is a starter guitar. I would've asked to be give a les paul but seriously, at the time all I need was this. If it we're stolen or lost I would be very said because this guitar can take a beating, it'll chip and dent, but it can take it anywhere. The one thing I don't like thouhg is the dull sound. I kinda wish it had a thinner neck also, with some more frets, but that's a Strat for you. // 8

Electric Guitar System Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2007

Features: Nice looking Strat style guitar. Beginner set and comes with 15W amp. It's a laminated top with a 21 fret rosewood fretboard. Mine was a solid black finish. Has three single pickups, two tone knobs and a volume knob. Comes with CD, soft gig bag, strap, cable, picks and an extra set of strings. // 8

Sound: It's very useful for heavier music as the amp is fuzzy. Works nicely for metal and hard rock. You have to really twiddle with the amp to get the right sound and even then it's hard to get a good one out of it. Buy a new set of strings. The ones it comes with sound lousy and don't stay in tune. I got myself a nice set of Ernie Ball's and it sounds much nicer. The strings make a vibrating noise on the frets every once in a while, but not distracting enough to matter. The guitar has a dull sound generally, but good for a beginner. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came with a crack in the laminated top, near the neck. The action was a little messed up (I had to adjust this). The pickups were fine, I adjusted them to get a little more variety of sound. The wood quality is pretty bad. I looked at the inside and it looks like some kind of plastic/wood compound. The cable plug-in nut was loose, so I tightened this with a ratchet. The second fret sticks out and catches my finger when my hand slides past it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough. It takes dings easily, but it lasts. The strap buttons aren't going to move on you and the guitar has been through almost two years with no major problems. I wouldn't use it in a gig due to the sound, but it will last plenty for a beginner. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for any beginner despite the style. This was my first guitar, and I'm selling it now, as I got myself a BC Rich Warlock Bass. I would've preferred a better guitar for sound quality, but I'd have wrecked whatever I got since I was just learning. I'm going to miss this guitar when it's gone, and will keep missing it until I buy a new one (probably going for a Peavey V-Type Exp). I love the fact that it served me well for my first guitar, even with all the problems. I just wish it was better quality, but for the price, I'm not complaining. // 7

Electric Guitar System Reviewed by: Tallwood13, on december 15, 2014

Price paid: C$ 199

Purchased from: Future Shop (in 2005)

Features: This was my first guitar I ever bought almost 10 years ago and I recently picked up another with a hard shell case for 50$. This time I took it apart as I'm very interested in guitar parts and so forth.

This has:

• 6 inline headstock - 10mm tuner holes - no name tuners
  • plastic nut
  • 25.5 scale - like most telecasters and the YJM strat
  • 22 frets - rosewood fretboard - acrylic dot inlays
  • maple neck - satin finish - C shaped neck
  • bolt on construction
  • the cheapest no name single coil pickups - copper on the back of them
  • 500k pots / mylar capacitors / the cheapest 5 way selector and all imaginable
  • the cheapest 6 bolt tremolo out there
  • strap holders were in good places
  • 1 ply pickguard / backplate
  • plywood body (I actually sanded one down)
This guitar struggles to stay in tune. The electronics were poorly soldered to the input jack. This is a cheap guitar to get your son to shut him up and show that he deserves a Squier or Mexican Fender. The finish was poorly done. You take the pickguard off and the part the eye doesn't see is full of swirl marks. No shielding inside the guitar just black spray paint. // 3

Sound: The guitar is feathers in weight compared to Mexican strats and so forth. There is hardly any tone to it, no sustain I wouldn't put new strings on these pieces of crap there's no point blaming the strings for the bad tone. The pickups sound weak. The beautiful buzz in isolated positions like 60 cycle hum offers in vintage styled pickups. Cheap hardware and wrongly used potentiometers (500k makes a difference) this guitar wasn't made by someone who was/is a serious player. Cheap hardware top to bottom. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: They didn't care. Just box them and sell them. Intonation wasn't done, the trussrod probably has cobwebs and dust on it. The finish like I said earlier they didn't make the whole thing scratch free. It chips just by looking at it and the second one was full of waves in the finish so if that doesn't tell you the quality of Robson I don't know what else does. This is a good sign of we pay for what we get. I got a used LTD Explorer, a bunch of B.C. Rich, Jackson pro series on a good day on Craigslist for 200$. The only thing going for it for the 200$ is that I didn't need an amp or anything think they even gave me a pack of strings free.

However what stops it from a perfect 1 or 0? I took the tremolo off 2 or 3 times and the screws didn't get stripped. Had a gold and a black 6 bolt tremolo on this and it was fine. That was about it. I used to re-wire this guitar to learn more about mods and all. // 2

Reliability & Durability: you would have to be inebriated to play this on stage. The hardware is not built to last. The guitar won't stay in tune for an entire song, the over all sound won't get you signed and unless you're like Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen to Eric Clapton (I know I'm just mentioning the greats how boring) you won't get any girls after the shows over. You won't be able to depend on it. Even if you swapped the tuners, the bridge to a Schaller or something 6 bolt and changed everything on the guitar it wouldn't matter. This is the guitar your roadie passes to you while the drummer is going nuts and the bassist and everyone else is thanking the crowd for showing up and you smash to bits so they remember your epic set list of Metallica covers. // 1

Overall Impression: I've answered a lot of the overall impression questions I'm sure. It was a first guitar and I'm glad I never owned a Les Paul first as I'd be embarrassed to show my face. The overall impression is this is a cheap beginner guitar plain and simple if they are giving away all that junk with the guitar it's for a reason. They know their guitar alone isn't worth the 200$ as you can probably get a Squier Bullet series starter pack or something these days. The first guitar I'd buy I'd honestly buy a used one off of Craigslist and bring someone along who knows what to look for. I'm still on the fence if it's real rosewood for the fretboard too as I scalloped it (see this is why I mentioned YJM) and it didn't scrape or whatever away like rosewood tends to but to Robson's credit there is plenty of different kinds of rosewood. If it was stolen I'd feel sorry for the idiot who has it now and the pawn shop who will try to sell it. I hate everything about it. My favorite feature is the plywood body that my drill went through like butter on it... but to be fair the neck scale length is 25.5 so in restrospect this was a good thing in the sense that when I started playing B.C. Rich and other big name brands there was no converting from 24.75 to 25.5 necks as fret spacing is different on both neck lengths.

I'd compare this guitar in quality and parts to: Gio to J craft Ibanez (I've played many Ibanez and hate them all); Silvertone, Academy, Lyra/Lyro, Nova.

why I chose this was because I was at the right place at the right time. I wish I went on Craigslist in retrospect but to be fair it wasn't my money I worked my "backside" off to purchase. If I went to a Long and McQuade (Canadian equivalent to Guitar Center) I would have got the first black Epiphone SG to fit my price range or a 200-ish dollar Dean or B.C. Rich in a heart beat. // 2

More Robson reviews rating category latest review
+ Master Pack 6.5 Electric Guitars 06/23/2009