Avion AV1 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 12/23/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Avion AV1
This guitar, while paying tribute to these original designs, offers its own unique visual character and performance benefits.
 8.7
 8.4
 8.9
reviews (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Avion AV1 Reviewed by: Mis4Mathew, on june 16, 2009

Price paid: A$ 250

Purchased from: Mccanns Music Centre

Features: The Greg Bennett/samick avion is a 2006 model guitar that is made in indonesia. The guitar has 22 jumbo scale frets and has a laminated top. I'm not sure of the neck woods or the body but I think I would be safe saying maple but don't hold me to that. The guitar has a Les paul style body with a beautiful glossy black finish. It has a Tuno matic bridge with Passive electronics.The guitar Boasts semour duncan disigned pickups and There are two knobs that control volume and tone and a Switch that switches between Rythm and treble. // 8

Sound: The guitar does suit my music style with is mostly blues but I don like to play with different styles and the guitar seems to be good with them all. I use this with a beringer DS1 and a beringer Blues overdrive pedal. It has a full sound and when plugged into an amp has a deep beautiful tone. Although I will admit that when not plugged in the sound quality is not the best but still great for the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar from what I can see is set up well and has a great action. Well adjusted pickups and a perfectly set up bridge. I've had this guitar for about two years now and so far I haven't had any problems except that the strap buttons have had to be tightened a few times but that doesnt't bother me much at all // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that the guitar will easily last a life time of playing especially if I look after it well. But really that is the same with any guitar. I would definetly trust this guitar in a gig it has a deep strong sound and that's all you need. But I think I would fork out a bit of extra cash and invest in a locdking strap just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: I am a blues musician and I do alot of impro and this guitar is a very good match for me. And if it were to get stolen I would have no hesitation in buying a new one. I have played more expensive guitars before and obviously guitars such as gibsons and fenders have a nicer sound I still think that this guitar has a better sound than guitars of a much higher price range and would be a great buy for a begginer or a more experienced guitarist. // 8

Avion AV1 Reviewed by: NxVx89, on november 23, 2007

Features: Ok this guitar was made in idonesia in 2006. It's a flattop LP style guitar made from solid mahogany. It's a sexy glossy black finish. it has 22 medium-jumbo frets with dot inlays on a rosewood fretboard on a mahogany neck. Grover machine-heads, twin Seymour Duncan designed pickups, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It is pretty simple with just a volume and tone knobs and a 3-way toggle switch between rythm and treble. The Greg Bennett line was an attempt by Samick to abolish their reputaion as a producer of crappy guitars. Samick employed veteran guitar engineer Greg Bennett to produce a line of professional quality guitars under the Samick brand. The guitars are similar in style to their lesser quality predessecors but feature better construction, better body and neck woods, and better hardware like pickups by Seymour Duncan and Grover tuners. // 8

Sound: I'm running this thru a makeshift amp. My brother spliced his old Jade amp whos cone had blown to some big old towers. It has a warm, deep tone that can easily be switched to a coarse aggresive hard rock sound with the flick of a Switch. I'm runnig it through a Behringer distortion pedal combined with amp tube overdrive which makes for some very violent intense riffs. it's is cabable of shrill howling leads also. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: THe construction is very solid. the neck is bolted on at a 2 degree angle wich is strange but doesn't hurt. The assembly was not great. I had to tighten the knobs and Switch and input jack up but nothing serious. I also had to tighten the screws on the humbuckers. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've never gigged but I trust this guitar and would take it on. The hardware while hastily assembled seems rock solid. The strap buttons seem Ok but I always use clips just to be sure. The finish being glossy jet black would take quite a trashing on stage but you get that. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock, punk and rockabilly and ska (Dropkick Murphys, AC-DC, Social Distortion, Rancid). I've only been playon fr about 2-3years. I was goin to spend a maximum of $350 for an upgrade from a Squier Bullet Special. For my particular style and price range I was tossed up between an Epiphone Les Paul and this guitar. After reading reviews on both and inpecting the hardware this guitar was chosen without any hesitaion. // 9

Avion AV1 Reviewed by: Westy_metallica, on december 23, 2009

Price paid: A$ 229

Purchased from: Rajen Music

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 at the Samick factory in Indonesia. This is a very Standard and simple guitar. 22 frets, 24" scale. It is a solid top constructed out of Nato wood. Nato wood is a cheaper version of Mahogany wood. It shares many of the same characteristics as Mahogany but is much cheaper. It has a bolt on neck. The neck is made of maple strangely enough with a rosewood fretboard. The body is constructed like a les paul body, a little bit different though. The guitar features a tune-o-matic saddle with a tailpiece. Because of this the sustain is really strong. It had passive pickups. I believe they are duncan designed too. There is a master volume control and a master tone control. Simplicity is this guitars game. It utilises Grover tuners which are renowned for their strength and ability to stay in tune. Overall the features on this guitar are great for beginners. // 8

Sound: For a beginner, it suits all playing styles. I was very suprised on how versatile the pickups are. It does clean very well and it can do distortion quite well. However it can get quite muddy especially on the neck pickup. This would be inaudible to a novice guitarist however. The humbuckers produce a thicker tone that provides more natural gain than a single coil guitar such as a Fender Stratocaster. It is a very versatile guitar for beginners. Only downside is that it can sound fairly muddy on the neck pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: From what I remember, the first time I played the guitar, there was a slight fret buzz on the 3rd string. As time marched on, the guitar has maintained its intonation very well. My Epiphone Les Paul Standard is much newer and has much newer strings and I also treat the les paul better and the Samick still has retained the intonation much better. It is a very well built guitar for something that costs such little money. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I gigged with this guitar as soon as I bought it. It is a fairly solid guitar. It has withstood constant going back and forth from over 100 guitar lessons and from band practice to my mates house to band practice to home over and over again. It is a great beginners guitar and will last for a fair while. The strap buttons are screwed in really tightly so you won't have to worry about it falling on stage. If I was to gig with it, I wouldn't need back up. I have played it very intensively for the past years and it has remained in good quality. By around four years of playing, you will feel the need to upgrade if you plan to get serious. But this guitar has seen me through the years. // 10

Overall Impression: For a beginners guitar, this is a standout amongst the crowd. It is very well constructed, has a great tone and will see out a beginner for many years. I have been playing for 4 years now and until recently, I have been using that solely. I recently upgraded to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard which has become my primary instrument. I still play the AV-1 every now and then and it plays really well. It screams simplicity, its all you need for learning the ropes of guitar playing. Compared to all the other beginners guitars out there below and above the RRP of this guitar, it really shines above them. It has served me well and holds huge sentimental value, I have so many memories with this guitar, I'll never let it go! Get your Samick AV-1 now. // 9

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ JTR Linda LN30 9 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014