Malibu MB1 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 11/22/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Malibu MB1
It captures the essence of those early bolt-on neck guitars, in a sleek updated package.
 Features: 9.7
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.1
 9.5
 8.7
reviews (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Malibu MB1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2005

Features: The Malibu series captures the essence of those early bolt-on neck guitars, in a sleek updated package. The slightly reduced body size makes it lighter and more manageable on those extended club sets. The neck pocket is deeper for a superior neck to body contact. The compact, angled back headstock also provides enhanced performance, not to mention the ability to stay in tune. The angled back headstock produces greater string bearing pressure at the nut. This results in improved attack and sustain. Duncan Designed pickups capture that unique Vintage tone: a combination of glassy clarity and warmth. The alder body and maple neck combine to produce clarity, dripping with tone. // 10

Sound: I play music from punk rock to nu-metal and it really suits my style. Although I'm playing it from a 15watt Samick amp, the sound is reasonably loud. Playing distortion on the first 2 pickups will sound real bad. Changing the secletor to the 3rd pickup and the sound produced will be much better. The tone knobs have little effect though. The pickups are little noisy when switched. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is great. It is very thin and not much effort is needed to achive your notes. The finish is quite good. There is no scratches although I have beeen using it for some time. Maybe I have been taking good care of my axe. However, I don't think the finish will spoil that easily. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar suits many styles of playing. I have been playing it for around 7 months. I own other basic stuffs like strap and effect pedals. The guitar is durable although many of friends have meddled with it after my performances. I love the action. It is the best. Almost no effort is required to press the string. The strap buttons are solid and won't look like they will drop of anytime soon. The pickups can be chaged if you have a deep pocket. EMG pickups would be the best. The strings are alright. It is perfect for those with low budgets. I would recommend this guitar to beginners and advanced players. // 10

Malibu MB1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2006

Features: I bought this guitar as a package with an amp, a gig bag and so on (the works) and have now been playing it for two years and I still love it. This guitar has an alder body and a maple neck, with your Standard black paint and white pickguard. There are three duncan designed single coil pickups controlled by a 5-way selector switch. It has a screw in tremolo bar that can be a hassle screwing in and out. The grover button tuners are the best; they rarely go out of tune and, since they're grover, you know you can rely on them. It has 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs which is just fine for me (I don't need the extra volume knob like on most gibsons, although I would love to own a Gibson). I couldn't ask for any thing more except maybe some humbuckers but would I prefer for those to be on a seperate guitar. // 10

Sound: It has a great all around sound which can do almost anything you want. I play a variety of stuff like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Van Halen, the Stones and Black Sabbath and this guitar can play it all. I play through a mediocre Mega VL-10 practice amp (it came with the guitar) that doesn't have great tone but when I add my Digi-tech rp80 multi effects and Danelectro Fab Distortion (yes I have a small budget) it sings the best riffs and screams the craziest solos. I find that, when paired with the effects, I can get any sound I want out of this and I rarely get any buzzing but that usually only happens with heavy distortion so it may just be the amp. The pickups are just great even my guitar teacher said they sound great which was reassuring since he is experienced and has played countless guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has great actionon. You don't have to put any effort into pressing the strings down to get the notes. This guitar is almost perfect for me in every way; shape, weight, comfort level. I just love it. The only other guitar that I've tried that is even more comfortable is the Gibson SG but it's still a little far out of my price range and a new amp is next on my list anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't exactly abused this guitar but either way it's still standing and doesn't seem like it's gonna give out any time soon. I haven't played Live yet but judging how I play in my bedroom I think it could. One thing I just noticed when writing this is that the lower strap button (far away from neck) is loose but that can easily be tightened with a screwdriver. Also, the tremolo bar is a little weak because I was playing some Hendrix and I noticed that the bar actually got bent from my slamming. Other than that, this guitar and everything about it is strong and will hopefully last me many more years. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first guitar so if someone stole it I would hunt them down and brutally slaughter them (not really, I'm a pretty nice guy, but you get the point). I probably wouldn't buy another because it wouldn't be the same as this first one. This is an excellent beginner guitar and probably a great guitar for any playing level but it really depends on you preference of guitar. I love it and it will probably stay as my main axe for a really long time. // 10

Malibu MB1 Reviewed by: Inahrima, on march 06, 2006

Purchased from: Island Music

Features: I don't know when, but it was made in Indonesia. It's essentially a Strat copy, 22 frets, S/S/S configuration, Wilkinson tremolo and grover tuners. What makes it stand out is its Gibson style headstock (tuners on both sides instead of just on top like in usual strats). Its double cutaway body really makes reaching those higher frets easy as hell. It has a 5-way pickup selector, two tones and one volume. The pickups are Duncan Designed single coils. The bodys alder (laminated/painted really thick and glossy) with a bolt-on maple neck. The fret boards maple. // 9

Sound: It suites all of my music styles (I play everything from the Chilis to Hendrix to Metallica and even some old blues stuff). The pickups are suprisingly quite for single coils, and only gets slight feedback when using the selector Switch. The sounds amazing, and has its own distinctive "fullness" to it. The tone controls all work perfectly to shape the sound to what you need. My only complaints are that palm muting doesn't sound that great, but that's only 'cause of the singlecoils and that it doesn't have enough frets for some solos. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect when I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitars built to last, I've played live several times and it's never let me down once (although I would use a backup 'cause I always do out of caution, not 'cause of the guitar). The hardwares rock solid and you could probably hang a small hippo from the strap buttons. As I mentioned before the finishings really thick and would require some effort to even scratch it. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar's just amazing. In my opinion its one of the best you can get for the price. If it were lost or stolen, I'd hunt the guy down and crucify him/her/it. I wouldn't buy it again though, the guitar was my 1st (thus another one just woundnt be the same) and is an excelent choice for a beginner, but at my level (Master Of Puppets solo) 2 extra frets and humbuckers is something you can't live without. // 8

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ Avion AV3 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/02/2013