Royale RL2 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 03/12/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Royale RL2
The "Royale" RL2 thin line style electric guitar is designed to combine the resonant warmth of an acoustic with the performance characteristics of a solid body. Features an arch nato top, set neck design and grover tuning gears.
 7.9
 7.2
 8.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Royale RL2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2005

Features: I bought the RL 2 a few months ago after seeing it in guitarist mag. It is basically a slightly larger semi hollow Les Paul type guitar. The body is of mahogany construction with a glued in neck. Two pickups and the standard tuno matic bridge set up. Two volume and tone as standard. Two humbucking pickups which I found out to be of the microphonic variety much to my disapointment. // 10

Sound: This guitar was perfect for jazz/blues fusion. As I mentioned the pickups are disapointing as the guitar is very well made and finished. Playing in clubs alot I like to use various amps, Fender Hotrod, Engl etc. But I find if I use any overdive at all the pickups squeel all the time. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came well set up from the factory, albiet with very light strings. Soon the gremlins started to appear, things like pots coming loose, and the Switch broke. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have had to change all the pots and a Switch to quality items to retain some reliability. This is a very well made guitar and plays very well, its just a pity that Samick didnt take the time to think of road worthyness of the guitar. I have now replaced the pickups with Seymore Duncans and it is incredible how the guitar sounds. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for thirty years and now at last I feel I have found a great crossover instrument. This is an instrument worth buying if you are willing to customise. As it stands I believe the guitar sounds and plays better than many higher priced instruments. Definety worth a look. // 8

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ JTR Linda LN30 9 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014