Stratocaster Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 02/01/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Stratocaster
Overall, this is an amazing guitar that I'd recommend to a beginner or an advanced player. This is a great guitar that fits a broad spectrum of all music types.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.4
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (7) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Purchased from: Keyboard Kavern

Features: Don't know where it was made, or what year unforunately. 23 and 1/2 frets with a solid top. Same body shape as a Fender Standard Strat, one volume control and two tone controls with a Vintage tremelo bar, three pickups and a five-way pickup selector. The neck is rosewood and a really nice finish. The top has the tuning dials down both sides as opposed to all of them being down one side. Came with: a cloth case, 10 plectrums, an amp cable and a strap. // 8

Sound: I play heavy metal, rock, grundge and a bit of jazz on this baby, and it matches them all really well. I use it with a 25watt amp (gain, volume, overdrive/clean, treble, mid, bass, reverb) and it works brilliant. The guitar can make a wide variety of sounds, and can easily be set up to however the guitarist wants to play. With the volume up full on the guitar and amp it's really loud. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: In the shop it wasn't really set up that nicely, but it does look really nice. The only flaw I could and still can see is that the pickup selector is a bit noisy. However, if you're playing when you change it, then yuo can't actually hear it at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: If I played live, I'd probably go without a backup, as this is a really durable guitar and can easily sustain just about anything. The hardware seems like it'll last for a long time. The strap buttons are really solid and don't look like they'll break anytime. The finish is good and doesn't thin/wear off easily with lots of playing. If you hadn't already gathered from what I've already said, it's a really dependable guitar, able to take anything and everything you throw at it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar that fits a broad spectrum of all music types. I've been playing for about two years now and I don't own any other gear apart from the guitar/strap/cable/amp/plectrums. If this was lost or stolen I'd definately buy it again for the reasons stated in the other sections. I love everything about it and the only thing I don't like is the fact that the pickup selector is a bit noisy, but if your playing when you change you can't really hear it. I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Fender Standard Strat. I chose it over the les paul for the tremolo bar and the five-way pickup selector as opposed to the 3 three way pickup on the les paul and I chose it over the Fender because this guitar has a nicer neck and fret board. Overall, this is an amazing guitar that I'd recommend to a beginner or an advanced player, whatever genre of music they play. // 10

Stratocaster Reviewed by: Drew/Dawg, on january 19, 2007

Features: It is a 2005 original made in the usa. It has 21 frets with a medium neck and maple fret board. It has a solid top and it satin. There are 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs, and a 5-say selector. No materials came with mine. It has last it's time and I have looked at other guitars that I would prefer but it suits me and I'm already making payments on another guitar. I sugest this guitar to anyone, I just like owning more then one of everything! You'll find that about me. // 8

Sound: Very well and my style would be alternative as well as classic. I am using a MG-10G amp that is a 10 wat with the clear, and drift settings so verly basic. Only as noisy as you want it to be. Without the ampe it sounds just alitle quieter then an original acoustic guitar and with it it rings beautifuly. it has very full sound. Many different sounds, don't know what to call them exactly! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up with much care and the adjustmenst where also just as simple. Both bookmatched top and routed bridge pare placed properly and have never given me any trouble. I only found 1 flaw which was t hat the screws atacking the bariar to the input where shreded and will now not titen so it will always be alitle loose! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware will also last. The straps are on with care and it is dependable. No I would not use it on a gig without a backup just incase. It may go out like I know it has once or twice. The finish seems great so fare! // 8

Overall Impression: I play alternative! I think there is a better match out there but I haven't found one like this one yet. I've been playing for around 2-3 months and am fairly good for that amount of time. I asked all my questions when I bought it so I had regrets later. I love the colors and how the mix with one another and there was no comparasin to other guitars. I do wish it came with a wammy bar which I need to purchous! // 9

Stratocaster Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on november 16, 2010

Price paid: A$ 100

Features: It was made in Korea at the Samick factory, I don't know what year it was made, 21 frets, thin frets, bolt on neck, EMG pick ups, a string spacer between strings 1 and 2 and looks like rosewood to me. Solid top, neck looks like rosewood and the body could be rosewood as well. My Samick Stratocaster is a nice satin black background with a white mint pick guard, a black head stock and natural wood colour neck with double binding, obviously a Strat body style. 2 tone controls treble and bass, 1 volume control and a 3 way pick up selector, no tuners. I got mine with a free lead. // 8

Sound: Good for blues and dire straits like sounds but it then sounds pretty good doing something like rage against the machine or nirvana. I am using a Johnson Power 10 amp with this guitar and it sounds pretty good through it I also use a Boss metal zone mt-2 pedal at times and it cooperates nicely with it. It can out put a lot of noise and it can be a brutally distorted guitar or a nice clean sound from it. It has nice full sound on it and you can do harmonics and pinch harmonics very well on it because it has quite sensitive pick ups. You can play some nice blue sounds to which I like but it has a nice distorted sound as well. What really surprised me about this guitar is that it is a very very versatile guitar and a pretty close clone of the Fender stratocaster. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up averagely good and looks good on the outside but there a minor flaws such as the pick up selector is annoyingly loud and the top of it falls off which really annoys me. One of the pick ups is a bit loose but that might be general wear. The 6th string tuning peg is loose and the 5th tuning peg is to tight which is irritating making it difficult to tune. The pick guard marks easily and appears a rusty Orange colour eventually. The lead input nut was really loose and fell off at one stage. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty reliable and it can withstand live playing but every now and then it can drop some tone. The hard ware fells quite solid but the strings wear out quite fast and the pick ups get a bit loose which is worrying. The strap buttons are solid and there is an attachment for a whammy bar. I can depend on it but I would still have a back up just in case but I always use back ups because I'm very cautious. Its last me and my uncle 4 years with two string breacks and one tuning peg breaking. // 8

Overall Impression: I play grungy Nirvana style music and it suits really good. I have been playing for two years straight and this is my third year. I wish I had asked for it to be checked over for any flaws in it before I got it. I wouldn't get another if I had it stolen because they are hard to find and I would prefer something else. I like how it is a nice versatile guitar and pretty good clone to the Fender Stratocaster but I hate it how the pick up selector is loud. My favourite feature is the really good harmonic sounds that come out of it. I compare to the actual Fender it self it is close but still not quite the same and not as authentic. Overall this is a good guitar a bit of a sloppy finish but it sounds good and that is what counts. // 9

Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2012

Features: Not sure of the year, but definitely before 1999 because the headstock says Samick & has a straight line of all six tuners on top. The tuning pegs resemble that of a Gibson SG. The body is a really beautiful dark red to brown sunburst. It features your Standard Strat pickguard, single coil pickups, 1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way selector, tremolo bridge with dives as low as a Floyd Rose, maple body, bolt on maple neck with rosewood fret board, 21 1/2 frets. Perfect action! No need to adjust saddles or file nut! Great sound! From SRV to Misfits to Metallica to BB King. You can play anything, smooth or raunchy on this thing & it achieves pinch & mute harmonics rivaling a Les Paul. // 10

Sound: As I said, this guitar is perfect for anything under the sun stock. It has twang, growl, purr, & squeal. I play it through a tube powered Jet City half stack & a Crate G-120 with Celestions. Both bring an impressive side of this amazing guitar to the table. I put my 335, Les Paul, & Martin Stinger away for this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Beautiful finish. It's a shade of sunburst I've never seen. BEST Strat TREM OUT THERE! Great sustain! Perfect everything! You don't need to mess with it at all! For blues, a tad distorted, it sounds like SRV's famous "Lenny". Size & shape of the body is a direct twin of your Fender Standard Stratocaster. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play it every day & have never had a problem, even though it's a smaller name more than a decade old. // 10

Overall Impression: Good for Rock, Punk, Blues, Metal, Rockabilly, Funk, Jazz, Classical, even aucoustic style songs on a clean chanel with some reverb. No buzz either. I will never get rid of this guitar! // 10

Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2005

Purchased from: Downtown Music

Features: This beautiful guitar was made in a workshop called Valley Arts Guitars. It has 22 frets on a beautiful slim maple neck. It has a sunburst finish with a Strat style body. The bridge is a Standard Strat style bridge that is very sturdy and of no trouble at all. Has 1 volume and 2 tone switches, and a 5-way pickup selector. The pickups are pretty much standard Fender Strat pickups I think (I bought the guitar second hand). They are very versatile pickups and can give you a great range of sounds from blues to metal. // 10

Sound: I play blues, rock and metal and this guitars fits all of those styles perfectly. I am using a Randall RG40 amp with this baby. The pickups can be a bit noisy if you are using a lot of distortion and reverb but it's not a very big problem. Playing on a clean channel, you really have to push it to get a rich, full sound out of it when you are soloing, but that might be because of the amp. You can easily crack some Zakk Wylde pinch harmonics with this axe. It's really a great guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and setup on this guitar is absolutely amazing, I have never seen a guitar with a better action. I have played Gibsons, Maton's, PRS guitars and many more, but this guitar has the best action, and the best neck of them all. The thing I love most about this guitar is the action, it is awsome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could probably withstand playing live but like I was saying before, on the clean channel you really have to play hard to get a good sound out of it. So if you are a blues player who plays gigs regularly, I would recommend a Gibson Les Paul, they give a much richer and smoother tone and more powerful humbucking pickups that are easier to execute on the clean channel. The electronics are very reliable and sound very good. The strap buttons are very solid. The finish is very good. I have knocked and dropped it many times and nothin goes wrong with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock and metal and this guitar suits them all very well. I have been playing for around 1 year now and I own some pedals a randall 40 watt amp and of course this guitar. If this guitar was stolen, I probably would buy a Gibson SG Standard simply because my guitar is pretty hard to get, and not a lot of people have them and it was custom made, so I don't think you could find another one as good as my one. The thing I lovce most about it is the action, it plays like a dream. // 10

Stratocaster Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2005

Purchased from: A Local Guitar Shop

Features: Made in Korea, 2 singles, 1 humbucker (don't know the brands or models) 1 volume, 2 tone controls, 5-way pickup selector. // 8

Sound: I play metal, ranging from types such as Metallica to Pantera, to Black Sabbath and modern Ozzy. I've play this guitar on a small Kustom 10 Watt with a Danelectro FabTone. Too me and a couple others, the sound quality sounds pretty "hagr'd" but some like it, only a few, and they don't play so they don't really know what they're talking about, but ya to me, I hate it. It has alot of feedback on the humbucker, and I mean alot! On clean, it's not the great either compared to my friends Squier Strat, it sounds of low quality. But it could just be our amps (he uses a 25 watt Fender). Maybe if I used a half decent amp it wouldn't sound as bad. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar second hand so take it so seriously that I gave it a 6, but the guy I bought it off from said nothings ever been wrong with it and he hasn't tampered with the action or electronics. But after a while of playing it I noticed how straight the neck is, as it's supposed to be slightly curved. The saddles where out of wack I needed to re-adjust them. I have alittle bit of fret buzz on the low E but not that noticeable. The finish looks pretty sweet, mines a tobacco sun-burst colour, but when you looks closely at an angle at it, thier's lots of riples in the finish, which I dunno if it's normal, I'm guessing not. But other than that everything looks fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've dropped this time a couple times headbanging with friends, strap was twisted or something and it came off and crashed of the ground, but it's good, thier's a couple small dents, on the horns, bottom and neck but those were already thier when I got it, so I dunno the story behind those. The strap buttons and neck seem solid. Only thing that doesn't seem like it's lasting too well is the electronics, I somtimes have to wiggle the psickups selector to get it too work. I would probly bring a backup if I was playing at a gig, just in-case the electronics did give away. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think this was worth the $275, I probly would've got it for less if I went to the city e.g. Vancouver, or Victoria. If it was stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy it again, I would go for a Cort or Squier which you could get at about the same price. // 7

Stratocaster Reviewed by: Constantine, on september 18, 2006

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

Features: 21 frets, bolt on neck, 3 single coils, probably made within the last 5 years, I got this guitar at a local shop, so I don't really know that much about it's history. It's body wood is probably some form of plywood. Mine's painted solid red, so I've got no clue as to what it is. A knockoff Strat trem, which I like more than my Stratocaster's actual trem. The tuners on this are locking, and never lose tune, which is good, because I usually go insane with the trem on this one. // 7

Sound: Well, when I got it, the input jack wasn't working, so that was pretty much my priority. I originally bought this guitar to rip apart anyways, so I put a HS-3 into the bridge. With this pickup, this guitar really takes off. When it's all wired in and everything, the guitar sounds incredible. Even the stock, cheap, chinese pickups sound great. They're a really deep, somewhat dark tone to them, which is good, because they contrast the smooth, crisp tones of the HS-3. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy at the Pawnshop seemed like he knew what he was doing, so it was already set up and everything. The action on this is fine, nothing really wrong with any of this. One thing I have to say, is that the neck on this guitar is incredible. Not as thin as a Wizard, but still thinner than a Fender neck. The finish on it is incredible too, and the grain is stunning. The way it feels is what one might expect from guitars 10 times it's price range. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not die. I've dropped it down a set of stairs, and it didn't damage the finish. No, the strap buttons aren't solid at all, hence the reason I dropped it down the stairs. Replace the strap buttons with some strap locks as soon as you can, but don't put them in the same place, move elsewhere, because the holes drilled in by the factory are too large. I would gig without a backup with this guitar, yes, it seems very solid, and it's electronics haven't failed once since the output jack change. // 7

Overall Impression: Since I got this guitar, I've gotten a lot more into the sort of Neoclassical/classical sort of genre, and with the HS-3 it fits it perfectly. The neck feels great, and the body is light enough to withstand hours of standing with it. If It were lost, I'd probably buy one again, and replace the bridge pickup again. I love this guitar, and I would put it up against my Fender Strat anyday. // 9

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ Avion AV3 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/02/2013