Torino TR4 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 02/01/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Torino TR4
The Torino positions the waist almost three inches higher, which opens up the cutaways and gives the guitar a more traditional balance.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.3
 8.5
 7.4
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Torino TR4 Reviewed by: acytonestd69, on february 27, 2006

Features: I don't know what year it was, I'm pretty sure it's Asian made. Has 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard and abalone dot inlays. Has a solid lavender top with a multiply binding around the alder body. Mahogany neck. Wicked gold hardware. Non-lockin Grover tuners. Double cutaway's. Almost like an SG. 2 Seymour Duncan goldplated humbuckers. 1 volume and 1 tone knob. // 8

Sound: I call it a PRSG (PRS+SG) because it looks like a combination between the two. It suits my music really well, you can very well check out my bands myspace and listen to "As I Cry." I believe I used this guitar for that song (myspace.com/everchange2o). It has a good clean tone, but lacks real good strength with certain amounts of distortion. It is really nice for lead guitar because it has a remarkable fret board. You can get any kind of sound out of this guitar, just depends on the rig you use. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it new for $90 and was amazed at the stock quality 'cause usually I have to adjust everything for hours on end to my perfection. It came as it was. I had to lower the bridge pickup cause it was louder the Neck pick up that was the only problem I found. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a fine piece of ax that I haven't had the pleasure of using onstage yet. I probably would have a back up anywaysimply cause I like to be prepped when using guitars I like, not trust. I'm not going to go into big details about this guitar because I don't like to criticize. I would recommend playing this guitar for gigs, just have a back up on hand. // 7

Overall Impression: I give it 2 thumbs and a half a nut. I play rock/metal/powerpop, this guitar is Lavender (not purple). I say it goes pretty well with my specific genre choices. if I busted or lost this guitar I'd definitely get another one if I saw one for a good deal. I love the sound quality I create with this guitar. I hate the finish. My favorite feature is the pick ups. I'm a sucker for Seymour Duncans and shiney objects. This has both in one. If I took more time to compare it to other products I would've had to pay $200 extra. I bought it shotgun wedding style. I wish it had a black finish and chrome hardware. // 8

Torino TR4 Reviewed by: AnarchyGuitarst, on august 22, 2006

Purchased from: Parker Guitars

Features: I'm not sure what year this guitar was made but it most likely is asian made. It's got 22 frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Mine was bought in a pearl white finish with black binding. Alder body. Not sure what kind of neck. Probably Mahogany like the guy before me. Gold hardware. 1 Volume knob, 1 Tone knob. Gold plated Duncan Design humbuckers and non-locking Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: I came into Parkers for my 15th birthday (last year) looking for a nice guitar with a lot of crunch. At the time I was highly into punk and getting into a bit of metal so a nice crunch was essential for my type of music. They had one of those Camo Dimebag MLs as well as some C-1 Classic Schecters and a B.C Rich Warlock and after trying just about every guitar in the store the Warlock and Torino were tied. This guitar can cover anything from Dime's squeel effects to RHCP. It's great for any type of music. I play it with a Marshall MG amp, but it sounds great anywhere. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is great. The humbuckers and everything work real good and haven't let me down so far. My music preferences have changed, but it doesn't mean my guitar has to. It's awesome. The only flaws on this guitar are maybe a few dents I made from tripping in my room other than that I bought it in great condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only played live a few times but this guitar is good for it. And since it's a string through, tuning down is no problem. If I didn't have other guitars I'd seriously use it through a two hour set. It's just that good. And no matter what we play this guitar can either get the sound we need or get pretty close to it. The strap hardly every comes off. I have to be doing something stupid for it to come off. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost three years now. I own three other guitars, a Yamaha beginner guitar, a Dean MLX, and a Les Paul Silverburst and this guitar is my favorite. If it were stolen, my parents would be pissed but I'd definitely get a new one. I really love the finish on it and how the colors go well together. I'm actually annoyed that on the reviews the picture they show of this guitar is black. Pearl white finish, gold hardware and black binding looks beautiful on this guitar. // 10

Torino TR4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 01, 2010

Purchased from: jb heart music

Features: Let me start off by saying this is accually for the torino tr3, they don't have it in the selection above, they are made in korea. It is a 22 fret neck, with medium sized frets. It has a mahogany body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard (sounds great). It has a quilted carved maple top with 2 tone sunbust. It has a SG body style. Tune-o-matic for easy set up. It has 1 volume and 1 tone control and a 3 way pickup selecter, it has 2 duncan design humbucker pickups. The tunners are grover (very good) they are none locking. No included accessories. // 8

Sound: I had a Ibanez RG570 that is great for metal and all that, but I was looking for somthing with a little bit more blues sound to it at the time, and I found this guitar. The duncan design p-ups sound really smooth and clean in any postion, and also sound great when in overdrive/distortion. After having it for about 4 years I have switched out the duncan designs for a pair of Gibson 490's, wich sound way better in my opinion. I use a Peavy 1X12 for an amp and Genisis3 DigiTech for effects and with the new pickups it sounds really awesome // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was set up pretty good, I did some small tweeking here and there with the action (wich is very easy with the tune o matic bridg)after that the thing played like a dream. Really fast slinder neck. There were no flaws what so ever. Beautifull quilted carved maple top. The neck and body has bindings on it. The neck is very smooth to play. Overall a very well made guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: To be honest I have never played live with it, but I have had it for about 5 years and it has traveld with me from state to state, I have dropped it a few times and did not break or anything. Seems pretty durable. The tuners are grover wich are high quality in my opion. It stays in tune very well. The front strap button is mounted were the neck connects so it is very solid, there are two in the back so you don't have to adjust your strap if you want it a little higher up. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a wide rang of music, and it covers about all of them, I have been playing for about 8 years and I have a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender highway 1 Strat, and a Schecter c1 classic and it ranks right up there with them (with the new pickups). This guitar had the body style and the carved top wich I like better. If it were stolen I would def. Buy another you can't beat the price for such a well playing guitar.as far as what I love about it is the quilted maple top, the fast playing neck, I would say it is one of the lightest guitars I have ever played. When I was shopping around and bought this one I was intending on getting a Gibson SG Special (love the body design)but I played a few and did not like the neck on them (felt bulky)then I seen this guitar. When I picked it up I fell in love with it (very smooth playing) it did not have as hot of pickups like the SG has but for the price it was def. Worth the money. Even with the pickup upgrade on it was still less than the SG and in my opinion it plays way nicer than an SG (the 490s sound great in it). I have never had any problems with it. Overall it is a very well made guitar. The only thing I would change on them is put hotter pickups in them. But for the price you really can't beat it. // 8

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ Avion AV3 8.5 Electric Guitars 05/02/2013