Ultramatic UM3 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 04/08/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Ultramatic UM3
The double cutaway is designed so that the neck sits deep in the body on the bass side. This makes the neck more rigid and less likely to rob energy from the string. The alder body with the maple top creates that clean warmth, with bite and definition when you need it.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.5
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Ultramatic UM3 Reviewed by: GunLeatherGuy, on march 25, 2009

Purchased from: Discount Music/Utah

Features: Was made in 07 and in Indonesia. Which could be a lot of places! It's the typical mahogany/maple set neck combo construction, 22 frets with cream binding everywhere which I love! It's a PRS copy for the body shape which makes it thin and light. It's a TOM/spot tail pc bridge setup had DD pickups. 1 volume/1 tone and 3 way. Grover 18-1 tuners which are a classy touch. // 8

Sound: I play mainly hard rock/metal and the DD pickups were ok at best. 2 years ago I would have loved them but have been spoiled lately by my other guitars. I replaced them with GFS Power Rails and now it's a whole new guitar. Play through an Ib mimx30, Rocktron 80w and B52 triple rectifier all tube 100w 3/4 stack. On the big amp you can sure hear a lot of difference in the way it sounds. All electronics are quiet. The variety of sound is great! What's amazing is you can go from the jazziest clean settings to death metal and this will do it all now. With authority. The 7 is with the DD pickups in it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was a floor model at a guitar store so it wasn't set up that great. Mostly from the kids playing with it. Everything is great as far as the fit and finish. Everything is as it should be and functions flawlessly. After adjusting everything the action is very low with no buzz, the fit is excellent and the finish seems tough and looks very good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would easily play Live. They use good stuff everywhere. Grover tuners, good switches and pots. So I don't anticipate any problems. I wouldn't use any guitar in a gig without a backup. Not even my EBMM Silhouette. Reliability is good thus far and Durability hasn't been tested yet. And I hope to not test it anytime soon! // 8

Overall Impression: I've got a couple of other mid to high level guitars and this is easily comparable to most of them. The neck is Jackson thin but feels like a Schecter with great fret work. It's a very nicely made and thought out guitar. Those who say "Samick/Bennett stuff is poor quality" really has no clue! Or got a lemon, which is gonna happen with any maker from time to time. Overall I would give it a solid 8. And I'm not a 'give everything a 10" newbie. So it's a pretty solid rating. // 8

Ultramatic UM3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2008

Purchased from: Hermies Music Store

Features: I bought the guitar in August of 07' and was built June of 07' Samick builds all there guitars in Indonesia. It has 22 frets with a wide neck and small neck similar of a PRS. It's an alder body with flame maple top. I have the Emerald Green color. The neck is mahogany and is a solid bound to the body. Finish is again the transparent Emerald green. Body style is a double cutaway, shallow/arched/thin body similar shape or a PRS Mcarty. Bridge is a stop tail piece with Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a one tone one volume and a three way selector. Pick ups stock are Duncan designed humbuckers. Tuners are non locking 14:1 ratio Groover tuner machines. // 10

Sound: This guitar is awesome. From playing a shit ton of guitar this one is by far my favorite. The music style I play is a little harder using mostly using full step down or drop C. I run this through a DigiTech RP-150 into a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 amp I use DR medium gauge strings. It has a rich full sound on clean good for blues, rock, or country. With overdrive it has that classic rock feel to it. You can do any style of music with this guitar the possibilities are endless. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up decent from the factory. But your always supposed to have it set up for you. The pickups were suited fine for any player. Bu with my style I went with the Duncan designed Distortion Pick up which are awesome if you use drop tunings which all my music is. I hate standard! There was not one flawy with the fret wire, the finish was perfect no runs from the glue or the clear coat. I switched out the Gold knobs for knurled chrome one and a chrome Humbucker covers, with a chrome 3-way toggle switch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played live many times. I always bring a back up, just a custom hollow body with Duncan pickups, grover tuners and a Samick 24 fret neck. Never had to use it. I've never had one problem with Greg Bennett guitars ever. The strap button are perfect size. PRS are a little large but no issues here. The finish is amazing heavy use and the finish is brand new, just polish it weekly and your fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavier music drop C mostly and with the stock pick ups it great with switched out distortion pickups it's amazing. I've been playing for 9 years I own a Samick Fast Back FB3, Samick all solid woods acoustic, Fender GC-12 acoustic (piece) Custom Hollow body Samick. I own a 92 Fender Tele. Which is on eBay right now, neck is way to thin. I'm not a fan of Fender or Gibson. There are a lot of manufactures out there that make awesome arched body guitars better than Gibson. In my book I've played a PRS there awesome. With this being set up properly and the distortion pick ups it's identical to that of a PRS. The body is a little lighter that being the UM3 is a thin line body. If this were stolen I would def. but another one. This is a love relationship, no cons. wouldn't change a thing. // 10

Ultramatic UM3 Reviewed by: drh1589, on april 08, 2010

Features: I'm not sure of the year it was made, but I believe Samicks are still made in Korea, aside from one Japanese factory. 22 frets, it's basically a PRS copy, but holds its own against a PRS. Duncan designed pickups are okay, and have worked for some basic stuff I've been playing. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Grover tuners. Mine came with a gig bag. // 9

Sound: I play everything from funk to Metallica with this guitar. It cleans up nicely for beautiful, somewhat shimmery cleans with a bit of chorus, and it distorts well and tunes down to drop C for even some As I Lay Dying. I personally am much more into a Van Halen-y sound, which it isn't great for. I'm considering switching out the pickups for Dimarzios when I get the time to do the work // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar used, but even then, it was flawless when I got it. I had it set up once, simply because I got some buzz with thicker strings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been gigged 10-20 times so far. It's been dropped, both on and off stage, and there is paint chipping, off the headstock, around the input jack, and the back, simply from being played for hours and hours a day. It's held up so far with few problems and I expect it to for quite awhile // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of blues-inspired hard rock, and it does great for it. I play it with a Spider III combo amp at the moment, simply what I've found to be most versatile, and it works great with the guitar. If something happened to this guitar, I would definitely replace it, and I'm even looking at a few other Samick guitars in the future. I was between this guitar and a Fender Strat HSS, but I chose this one. I'm still getting my perfect Strat soon, though. All in all, it's an awesome guitar! // 9

More Samick reviews rating category latest review
+ JTR Linda LN30 9 Electric Guitars 08/28/2014