006 Blackjack Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
006 Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Made in 2005, with a catalogue price of $819 this is a well capable and well specified guitar. It has a set mahogany ultra-access neck and a well sculpted mahogany body. Rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets and a 25.5" scale, TonePros TOM/thru-body multiply construction. It has quality Grover tuners. Electronics are straight forward with 1x tone, 1x vol and a 5-way selector + nice crunchy Seymour Duncan JB/59 passive pups. The finish is Black gloss with nice aged creme binding all around the guitar and is finished with cool black chrome fittings. // 9

Sound: The sound is great for metal and rock and the Seymour Duncan pups make good quality and controllable sound at high volume and with distortion. It has good sustain. You get a good range of clean sounds on 3 of the settings and the in-between settings sound a bit like when you coil tap - more like a single buckers - I can't think how else to describe it. I own a Schecter Hollywood Classic and Dean HardTail with active EMG's and I find this guitar somewhere between the two. It isn't as extreme as using active EMG's and isn't as adaptable as the Hollywood Classic. By that I mean the HC will do all that this does and more so because of that I can only give it an 8. Tough because if I didn't own the H/C I may well have given it a 9. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This was used when I bought it so I can't tell you anything about factory set-up but I have no complaints. Nice action, the set neck is great quality and typical Schecter feel. There are indicter dots on the fret board and along the top edge of the guitar if you need them. The pick-ups are set up how I like them, it is well finished. The controls are well placed and easy to find. It has a quality feel, average weight and its comfortable to "wear". This is my first guitar with a 006 shape and I like it. It will make a great gigging guitar as it looks cool! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was already about 6 years old when I got it. It has a few signs of use such as belt scratches on the back and the odd knock and has stood up well. Everything functions like it should so I guess that deserves a 10. I would trust it if gigging as much as anything. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing on and off for many years. I love the comfort of this guitar and the control layout. The sound is great for metal, rock and blues and it handles distortion and volume well. A good choice for gigging if you like passive pups. It does exactly what it was designed for very well and is a pleasure to own. Note: This is quite rare as the spec. Changed in 2006. If buying don't confuse it with cheaper versions with bolt on necks and inferior pups. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014