006 Hellraiser Review

9.9
reviews (4) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
006 Hellraiser Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 04, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Features: 2008 model 06 Hellraiser. The same spec as already stated in previous review 'cept mine is black cherry with Abalone binding. Active EMG 81tw89 pickups, two tappable volume knobs and one tone knob, 3-way selector, Grover tuners, strung through body, gothic cross inlays etc, etc. Payed $100 for a hard shell as I was shipping it to the UK. // 10

Sound: I bought this guitar without even seeing, hearing or playing it as there are no UK dealers. My friend, with 20 years playing experience(hobbyist), had a C1 artist model. So based on the build quality of that model and having heard EMGs played through a Roland Microcube, same as mine, I took a leap into the unknown and was extremely well rewarded. I play mostly metal (Metallica, Slayer etc.) and hard rock (Pearl Jam, QOTSA) and this axe suits perfectly. I can only compare it to my previous guitar(Cort M200) but the clarity at low volume, high volume, low gain and high gain must stack up against anything in this price range or the next. I found the cleans, contrary to popular belief, bright and warm through the EMGs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have found one tiny area beside the neck where the finish looks slightly over polished but 'sides that there is nothing to report flaw wise. It is a really impressive looking thing and is extremely comfortable/easy to play. The strings buzz a little up near the body but that should be easily adjusted. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is an area I can't comment on really as I only have the guitar a few weeks but it really feels sturdy and well built. I can only tell you that the C1 Artist I mentioned earlier is as good as the day it was bought 3 years on. So I don't see any reason why another Diamond series Schecter should be any different. // 9

Overall Impression: Please read this review and appreciate that it is from a relative beginner. I'm only playing a year but the obvious quality is here for even I to see. I've been putting in 2-3 hours a night so I'd just reached the level where I knew enough to know my other guitar was a beginner's. I love this guitar so far and given that it's half the price of Gibsons and Fenders it's a big enough investment for me right now. It plays rock and metal and probably any style you'd care to try the way you would expect it to. Brilliantly! I would replace it in a heart beat if something befell it. The real strength of this instrument is the versatility. I can't imagine any bands sound that I couldn't replicate. All I have to do now is figure out what my own sound is:) // 10

006 Hellraiser Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2008

Features: 006 Hellraiser, 2008 model, made in Korea and set up in USA. It has 24 x-jumbo frets, 3 piece mahogany set-neck, rosewood fingerboard and 25.5 scale. The body is mahogany, the black cherry model comes with a quilted maple top, mine is painted in gloss black with a stylish gray pearl binding. It's a super Strat with a more modern cut. Has TonePros bridge with string thru-body. Equipped with EMG 81tw and 89 active pick ups with coil splitting for single coil and humbucker tones, a 3-way selector, two tap-volumes and a tone control. Has grover tuners, gothic cross inlays and black chrome hardware. Doesn't include case or accesories.. // 9

Sound: It is clearly cut for metal and harder styles of rock, considering the EMGs; however, the single coil settings of the pick-ups work amazingly well. Of course, it does not compare to what you will hear from a tele, but it is perfectly suited to play the clean passages in metal/rock tracks (unlike Ibanez and jacksons which sound like crap in clean). The bridge pick-up has a very fast attack thanks to the active electronics and is perfect for metal riffing with heavy palm mutes, while the neck pick up has a more Vintage, warm, almost sweet tone. Sustain is extremely good when compared to my Ibanez, and the pick-ups are silent as long as you keep them away from your amp. When combined with a Metal Muff and a decent amp, it roars for metal. Not the best guitar for any other style though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived with a few minor finish flaws, probably due to the overseas shipping, but they are not even visible unless you particularly look for them. The pick ups are adjusted very close to the strings, but this is a good thing since they are active and this adjustment gives a better sustain. The action was a bit too high for my tastes, but it is easy to fix with a screwdriver. Keep in mind though, this guitar has x-jumbo frets, that are considerably higher than regular jumbo frets, and no matter what you do, you cannot get that very low action you can achieve on Ibanez fretboards. Not a deal breaker though; with it's somehow thick (but very comfortable) neck and unusual "low" action setting, it has it's own playing style. It just takes a few days to get used to it. Everything else is perfectly well made, there were a few buzzing parts at the beginning but they fit in place after playing for a day. Now the looks... I originally ordered the C1 Hellraiser in black cherry (which has exactly the same features, except the body shape), but since it was not going to be in stock for a long time, I got this one in gloss black. I'm glad I took the risk, 006 has a body shape that is far superior in comfort and looks than C1H, imho, and the gloss black paint, which looks like **** in the catalog pictures is in fact beautiful (just keep it clean though). Another thing that bothered me was the so called gothic-cross inlays, but again, it fits so well with the black paint, I am glad they are there. // 8

Reliability & Durability: 006 will certainly withstand any Live performance. It is rock solid; wood and the hardware are made to last. Strap buttons are sealed in place. I would certainly depend on it on any gig (mostly thanks to the absence of that cursed Floyd Rose bridge). I did not trust the gloss paint very much, since by experience I can tell that they tend to get scratches and dents quite easily; however, while trying to lower the action I accidentally slipped the screwdriver and hit the body real hard, on the day I got my guitar. Thankfully, there is no trace of that, so I can easily say that the guitar can take a beating and you can rely on it. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play metal. I have been playing for 5 years, I own an Ibanez 370DX and I have played with many other guitars that include Fender Strat, Ibanez RG2557 and SZ-520 series, and some Jackson and Yamahas. I have bought this guitar as my main metal rig. I have compared it with many other alternatives, mostly Ibanez RG and JS series, and decided on this. It has a different feel than the guitars I have mentioned above, but this is what makes it appealing. It is a solid metal axe, one of the best you can get, so get it if you are into metal (and if you hate Floyd Rose as much as I do)! // 9

006 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Resurrected22, on november 20, 2008

Features: It got mine is early 06 so I have noticed that now you can get them with the coil split and whatnot but mine was made in Korea and set up in USA. It has 24 x-jumbo frets, 3 piece mahogany set-neck, rosewood fingerboard and 25.5 scale. The body is mahogany, the black cherry model comes with a quilted maple top which is F-ing beautiful. It's a super Strat with a more modern cut. Has TonePros bridge with string thru-body. Equipped with EMG 81 and 89 active pick ups. Got the case with it and it is a really sturdy case. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of metal and this guitar is made for purely that. I mess around with other stuff like blink and what not and it just doesnt't sound right. I use a marcshal stack with a metalzone 2 pedal and this thing screams. I love the sound of the EMGs in this guitar. Like one of the other reviewers said it can get noisy if you keep it to close to your amp but other than that it isnt that bad. I don't think that the guitar sounds the best for cleans but it's not horrible. All in all a really great (cheap) guitar... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I ordered it from drumcityguitarland and they set the guitar up to your specs before they send it so it was amazing. one of the previous reviewers said that there is no way to get the action super low due to the xj frets... disregard that! I have 12-56's on mine tuned to drop C and the action is so low that you can blow on the strings to hammer out a note. This axe is amazing. the pickups were positioned well and all the hardware was fine. It is still the only guitar that I have had that I have never had problems with the hardware or knobs falling off. The finish is beyond words. The gloss coat is really thick so it takes quite a bit to scratch it and leave a mark which is always nice. this thing feels like a guitar. Not some cheap crap wannabe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar has and does withstand Live playing. i would use this without a back up because i dont really play to rough so i rarely break strings. the tuners hold tune very well and the strap buttons are hella solid. i have had this guitar for going on 3 years now and it is amazing. very very well made. it looks the same as the day that i got it. // 10

Overall Impression: like I said before I play metal and this guitar is perfect for that. I have been playing for about 10 years now and I have to say for the price this guitar beats out everything that I have ever bought. it has a nice weight to it and doesnt't feel cheap one bit. absolutly amazing. if this guitar was stolen I would replace it for sure but be pissed that someone took it. It's the only guitar I have kept after all these years. most of the time I sell them because they don't meet my expectations. I love the way that it plays and even though the neck is a little beefy it's soooo comfortable. I was looking at getting a LTD or Jackson and this easily beat out both. I know that one of the earlier reviews had someone Who was new at playing review it and even to me most of the time I want someone with experience but I have to say that he knows his stuff. This guitar is amazing and any new metal head looking for a wicked shred machine. Schecter have em. They are hella cheap and you get an A-Bomb for your buck. I'm for sure getting that new hellraiser V-Model. woo hoo. // 10

006 Hellraiser Reviewed by: CrimsonBizzare, on july 31, 2009

Features: 2008 model, made in Korea, setup in the US. Same specs as C-1 Hellraiser. Guitar just about everything. The pickups are active 81-TW and 89. Sound the same as the 81/85 set but has a coil split, which is great as the cleans on the 81/85 aren't great - but coil split on lower volumes, you can get Fender-like cleans. Grover tuners, great quality, stays in tune really well - but they're not locking, unlike 2009 C-1 Hellraisers. Gothic cross inlays look really cool, so does the finish (Black Cherry) and the abalone binding. Rosewood fretboard is quite thick like all Schecter necks but it's really great for low-end chunky metal rhythms and suprisingly easy to shred on, the 22 - 24th frets are unbeliveably easy to reach. Two volume controls (Neck + Bridge) and one tone (Shared). 3-way selector Switch, and volume pots are push/pull for coil split. Points off for non-locking tuners. // 9

Sound: Its suits my music style very well, I play thrash metal along with other metal, rock and Acoustic. It's got alot of tone thanks to the mahogany body and the a EMG's are great on highly distorted settings, and give very good cleans when coil split. The tone knob allows for full sounds at lower setting and brighter sounds when fully up (10). The guitar naturally has quite a thick tone. Shred guitar is really defined along with low-end palm-muted rhythms which can sound chunky as well as clear. The active pickups allow for minimum noise, they also boost the output, giving more of the natural tone when the signal reaches the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar used although nothing on the guitar had been ajusted. Great set-up, action was low, very low -just the way I like it, but no fret buzz. Pickups were ajusted well, the 81-TW being just near enough to the strings and the 89 alot lower, but maybe a bit too low. There was one factory flaw, a slight flaw beneath the laquor on the neck, but it's unoticable. Everything else was perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Good lasting finish, black chrome harware doesn't wear either There are a few scratches on the back of the guitar from repeated use but the finish holds well and only strong scatching makes marlks. I can easily depend on it and would gig without backup. Solid strap buttons, although the guitar would benefit from bigger ones. Lasting harware, solidly build guitar, no problems so far. // 9

Overall Impression: Had the guitar for about 2 months, been playing properly for a year and a half. Great match for my style of music. I wish I had a better amp before buying the guitar as my doesn't do the guitar justice. If it were stolen lost, I would definately replace it (but maybe with the 2009 C-1 Hellraiser becuase it has locking tuners). I love the coil splitting pickups as this guitar would have a great clean tone if the pickups did better on cleans, but the coil split solves this problem. I compared it against numerous ESPs, Ibanezs and Jacksons. I wish, as previously stated, it had locking tuners. And MAYBE Seymour Duncan Blackouts, for the more organic tone, but the EMGs sound great as it is. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014