Avenger Hellraiser Review

reviews (2) pictures (2) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Avenger Hellraiser Reviewed by: Brayds, on august 03, 2009

Price paid: A$ 1649

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

Features: This is the Schecter Avenger Hellraiser Diamond series, made in Schecter's South Korean factory. It has 24 jumbo frets with a 25.5" scale. Abalone gothic cross inlays adorn the roswood fretboard and 3 piece mahogany neck, which is glued into the body. The neck is amazing, quick, but too thin as to sacrifice resonance and sustain, with a very comfortable profile that fits perfectly in your palm. The mahogany body, unique to Schecter is topped with a beautiful quilted maple top, covered by a transparent finish. The bridge is a string thru body, with a Tonepros saddle. The active EMG's are fantastic, with an 81 in the bridge, and an 85 in the neck. However the 2009 model has an 81-TW in the bridge and an 89-TW in the neck, the coil tappable models. The controls include well placed master volume and tone controls with a 3-way pickup selector. The tuners are grovers. However the 2009 model has Schecter locking tuners. The guitar came with the requisite truss rod adjustment allen keys, strap, and very average lead. Overall the features of this guitar are fantastic for the price. // 9

Sound: I study music at Uni, so I play a wide range of styles, and I can do so with this guitar, surprisingly. I play in a thrash metal band, and the tone of the guitar is Killer, even through the cheap Marshall MG stack that I have. It suits my style perfectly. I run it through a wah and a delay, and the tone never disappoints. It has an intensely rich and full tone, and responds well to every facet of my playing. It's quite versatile too, obviously excelling in metal, and rock tones, but it can even pull off a convincing jazz tone, if you dial back the tone knob, flick over to the neck pickup and crank the mids through a decent amp. The bridge pickup can even produce a convincing country tone, not one to replace a Tele, but it'll certainly get you by. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up from the factory was great, along with the pickup height, and was set-up better than the Gibsons it was in the same shop with. The bridge routing is fine, but the bookmatching of the top was not so great, but for the price this is acceptable. The action is great, the fretboard is not flat, but you can get the action quite low with minimal fretbuzz. There were a few flaws though, which I wasn't too happy about, even though they were minor flaws. The selector switch had gouges in the underside of it, there were small dents in the side of the fretboard, and two very small flecks of white paint underneath the finish on the back. Other than these cosmetic flaws, every other aspect of the guitar is great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For gigs with my band, this guitar will last. The saddle is fantastic, and I have never broken a string onstage, even though I tune in E Standard and hit the strings pretty hard, with 0.09 to 0.46 gauge strings. The tonepros saddle tranfers the string resonance to the body well, and the tuners are rock solid, I only need to adjust the tuning slightly in a 30 minute live set, with my singer bumping into me and all. The strap buttons were solid, but I replaced them with a DiMarzio strap, which screws straight into the body, I transferred the buttons to my other guitar though. As long as my strings are relatively new, I gig without a backup. The finish is fine. // 10

Overall Impression: For playing metal this guitar is a perfect match, but it can do so much more. I've been playing for 6 years, and there is not another guitar that I prefer playing to this one. If it were stolen or lost, I'd just buy another straight up. I love the sound, the body shape, the comfort, the tone, and above all the neck. It's the most comfortable I've ever played. The only thing I dislike is that in a few areas of the fretboard, it buzzes more than others, but thats it. I compared it to many other guitars, as I spent a week of work experience in a guitar shop, and playing every guitar in there I came to the conclusion that I preferred this guitar over $6000 Les Pauls. Seriously. Best guitar I've played. It's awesome. // 9

Avenger Hellraiser Reviewed by: kahyeow, on june 08, 2012

Purchased from: 77 guitar shop

Features: - Made from: Korea - Neck: mahogany, 24 jumbo frets - Finish: satin - Body style: cutaway? I have no idea what its called - Bridge style: tune-o-matic fixed bridge - Pickups: active, EMG 89, 85 double humbuckers - Controls: two control knob (push pull) for selecting b/w single coil and humbucker - Tuners: locking grovers - Accessories: a good gig back is difficult to find due to its unique shape. I use a bass gig bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar is supposedly made for music leaning to heavy gain genres, and I must say it does its job properly. The EMG humbuckers delivers rich and heavy tone perfect for heavy metal. However it sounds just as well when paying clean tones or lighter toned music. By selecting single pickup config using the push pull knobs, the guitar produces very smooth and clear clean notes. I use a Marshall half stack during jamming sessions and a small spider 6 (line6) for practice. The pickups do get a little too sensitive when volume is set high and feedback is very common. I play from A7X to Boy Like Girls, From The Devil Wears Prada to classical songs, and the Hellraiser has handled all well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is excellent with a smooth joint between neck and body. However this means that the neck cannot be removed from the body. The action is quite low when I first got it. The top and bridges are all done well. There were no significant flaws with the guitar. The only complain I have is that the guitar is really heavy and playing with a band with it gets very tiring and painful on the shoulders. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The string retention is excellent and even after leaving it untouched for a month is a changing temp room (off and on of air conditioner) it does not go out of tune. I have owned the guitar for more than a year and I have never gotten a broken string. It will survive any sort of live playing, no matter how heavy. Strap buttons feel solid and have never failed. I am confident to go on a gig w/o a backup. The finish is good although scratches are easy and frequent polishing is needed to retain the shiny look. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned, I play everything from metal to classical and the guitar never fails to impress. I have been playing for around 6 years and own a Hamer electric as well as a Cort acoustic. I am very pleased with the Hellraiser. If it was stolen I would continue using Schecter Hellraiser, but probably not the avenger. I love everything about it except its weight and slightly large frame. I chosen it even after trying out a usd2000 Fender and usd3000 Gibson Les Paul. I strongly recommend this guitar, it quality far exceeds the price. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014