C-1 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 05/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1
The C-1 is armed with Schecter's exclusive Seymour Duncan Designed HB-105 Active pickups to deliver precise attack, punchy tone and sonic clarity for today's metal guitarists.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 8.8
reviews (5) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Reviewed by: let__it__bleed, on june 14, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The Schecter C-1, my third and favourite guitar. Originally it comes with active Duncan Design pickups, but mine is customed with EMGS 81 and 65 giving it more of a metal sound. The body is made out of mahogany, this for some reason has chipped really easily and it already has a big dent in the front. The neck/fingerboard are made out of maple and rosewood and it has 24 jumbo frets. It also has locking grover tuners. As I got this off ebay I also received a Schecter gig case, which was a nice touch! // 9

Sound: I usually play this directly through a Line 6 TonePort UX1 through my laptop. It handles both clean and metal tones well. It suits my music style, which is more rock/metal but it could handle other styles well. The guitar can make a variety of sounds, pinch harmonics are easy to pull off. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar is good, as I got it off eBay I'm not sure how it was set up at the factory and whether it has been modified or not but it seems okay. The pickups have been changed completely to EMGS which I think is a lot better than the original duncans. The only flaws (aside from a few dents in the body) are the screws that hold the EMGs in place have rusted. which really doesn't affect the guitar at all. Other than that, the guitar has next to no flaws. The inlays are well done and so is the binding which is always a nice feature. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although I have not played a gig with this guitar I believe it would handle one well. The hardware seems to be a good quality, and has lasted around 3 or more years and is still in good condition. The finish is great, and is still as bold as the day I received it and hasn't worn off at all. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great. It is a lot lighter than other guitars I've owned or played. It works well with my toneport and can handle the 11s I whacked on it. It also sounds good in drop tunings. I would rather the guitar have some sort of tremolo system, but not a FR. If it were lost of stolen I would definitely cry and then buy it again maybe even the FR version. I didn't compare it to any products at the time, but now I compare it to Ibanez and definitely prefer the look and feel of a Schecter. // 10

C-1 Reviewed by: joshgiesbrecht, on august 05, 2008

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Encore

Features: This is an excellent guitar. I bought it in Oct 2007 brand new. It was made somewhere in South Korea. It has 24 frets. Neck scale is 24 3/4". The body of the guitar is Mahogany while the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a beautiful sparkled silvertop (this guitar is hard to find on the internet. It is a string-thru body guitar. It has a 5-way switching system. 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers. Grover locking tuners. I was not given anything with the guitar. // 9

Sound: I did not know too much about guitars when I went to go buy one (I do now though). I was really into metal when I started playing. For metal, it suited very nicely. I was impressed. I am now into folk and classic rock (big change) and I am still impressed with it. It made that transition no problem. I use a keyboard amp actually, and it still sounds nice. I have played on a high-quality Fender (my friends, can't remember the model) and it sounded 10x nicer obviously, but still sounds good on any amp. It isn't noisy at all. It has a very full sound when on the neck position and a twangy when on the single bridge pickup, and a general sound on the 2 bridge pickups. Like I said before, this guitar has a tonnnn of variety and I would not hesitate to get another one. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about this guitar was nice when bought. Action was good, didn't need any changing. I realized after a while I needed to adjust the action, but it last about 1 year before needing any mods about that. Pickups were good. I have kept them in the same position since I've had them, though I did fiddle with different heights. The only thing I don't like about this guitar, is the knobs. The tone and volume knob will not sound any different until turned quite far, almost to the end. So, the tone knob I don't use too much. I'm sure this is an easy fix, just haven't gotten around to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could stand Live playing no problem. I would feel confident at a show with it. The only part of this guitar that has gone bad is the screws on the pickup surrounding. They have gone very rusty. And the pickup surrounding has cracked in several places. Easy fix. Strap buttons are great. I would use it at a gig without a backup. Some people may need to file down the saddles because they can be sharp and break your strings, so be careful about that. I have scratched this guitar a little, nothing bad. Finish is solid. // 7

Overall Impression: I play anything from the occasional metal, to folk, to classic rock to modern rock. Works for everything. Probably be really good for country with its twangy sound, but I don't play country. I owned this guitar for 1 3/4 years. It's worn in a little better and has impressed me even more. If it were stolen or lost, I might try out another brand. Nothing against the Schecter, but I have only had one kind of guitar and would like to see how it compares. But, in the long run I would defnatly buy this guitar. // 9

C-1 Reviewed by: Foxlove224, on november 05, 2009

Features: It has a 25.5" solid mahogany body and a maple neck with a 24 fret rosewood fret board. " Schecter alinico plus pickups at bridge and neck. Two volumes one tone and a 3-way pickup selecter. The tone control has a push\pull coil spliter. It is a distressed bronze hardware and a apocalypse graphic. // 7

Sound: I play rock and heavy metal. I thought this guitar would suit this style... I didn't try it before I bought it, however I di try a different Schecter that the assistant said was very simular(although costing 700 punds more). I recieved it via post. I gave it an inspection before I played it. It DOD not come in tune, I spotted several dust flecks in the finish all minor not good. I turned the tone knob, whilst doing so pull the coil splitter. the ush\pull is extremely sensitive and not for someone like myself Who use the tone controlll alot. The pickups are ment to be akin to active. But they couldn't be more dissimilar they are dull dry un responsive, and the output is very low. I play through a Marshall jvm900 my pedals are a Boss slicer, a z vex house of rock, Ibanez phaser and a empress tap tremelo, and a custom made 18 band graphic equaliser. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: I am sorry I put that in the sound section. But overall I was not impressed. For the money I paided it was not good value, I would expect this for a 200 guitar. Also the fret were sharp so running your hand up the fret board is a painful one. The bridge was fine. To my knowledge there was nothing wonga with the nut. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This would withstand gigging but why you'd want to I don't know. Strap buttons are soild. I will be selling this soon on bEay. You could depend on it but judging by my guitar I wouldn't want to. In fact I wouldn't gig with it because if tuning to a different note this needs to be repeated 3 times with 3 minute intervals // 3

Overall Impression: I would rather of saved up a bit more and a bought a mocking bird ST(a much better guitar).I wouldn't reccomend it. There is nothing I like about except that it balences extremely well. I wish I hadn't spent the money. I don't mean to be really negative about it ( ido ) but I really was dissapointed. I shall never buy from Schecter again. // 5

C-1 Reviewed by: ESPRyuu16, on march 08, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This guitar series was made up to 2009, it features a three piece maple 24 fret neck (24 3/4 in) with Vector style inlays made of abalone and mother of pearl.It is an arched toped flamed maple mahogany body. It is a string through body with set in neck construction which makes access to the higher frets a piece of cake. It comes with a Tone-O-Matic Pro Bridge and grover tuners. It holds tunings very well and the set in neck with string through body allows a great deal of sustain through the guitar. It is equipped with Seymour Duncan designed picks that sound pretty great. It has a three way switch, two volumes, and a tone knob that doubles as a Push/pull coil tap switch, the coil tap is a very useful feature making a already versatile guitar even more versatile. An to make this guitar even more beautiful it come in a body to neck binding of creme. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style perfectly, I play mostly metal/hard rock and it fittings just right into that category. The SD designed pick ups are quiet when not played and produced a toneful sound clean or distorted.I am running through a Behringer V tone 100W and it come alive excellently. This guitar can play anything from blues to metal, and if you wanted to classical style music. The push/pull coil taps make playing classic rock a breeze or any clean passages you want to play. Overall the sound is very good for the price I payed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has NO flaws to speak of. The finish looks stunning and will not be easily worn down. The action is excellent for playing and the hardware is Grover so you know your getting great quality. MY only complaint however is that it is chrome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar for as long as I have had seems very strong. The strap locks are not loose at all very strong in placement. I got this for a back up guitar but it seems like its going to be a main more than anything now. I've never been on stage yet but I know that this thing will Shine through when I do. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar overall is an amazing guitar for any style.It might not have the the best of everything but it sure comes close. I love the push/pull coil taps and the overall feel of the guitar, the neck is surprisingly fast for its appearance. It definitely carries Schester's dedication to great quality guitar building. // 9

C-1 Reviewed by: Holywars29, on may 19, 2011

Features: - Made in Korea - 24 jumbo frets, 25,5 scale - Solid Mahogany, Flamed Maple Top, Sunburst finish. - Set Neck - Tune-O-Matic bridge, string-thru body - Duncan Designed HB-102b (bridge pickup), HB101n (neck pickup), H-H passive. - Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, Master Tone (coil tap), 3 way selector. - Grover rotomatic tuners The features aren't bad, but I'm not completely happy with everything, for one, I don't really prefer the pickups and have a quite a few problems with them. Also it didn't include a case. // 7

Sound: I play Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, as well as I've started picking up some Blues; it actually has a very nice distorted tone and if you tap the pickups, the clean tone is nice too, however, I don't think the pickups have a very wide tonal spectrum, also it's very hard for these pickups to articulate pinch harmonics well. I play it through a Line-6 Spider IV 30 watt, which is a very nice amp for it's price. When I play live, I use an MXR Dime Distortion, which gives the distorted tone a real punch, however on bigger amps, the pickups don't seem to preform well and have volume problems. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, the action was quite nice, but I ended up lowering it a bit and raising the pickups closer to the strings. The Bridge is VERY nice, I love it, great tone, easy string changes, easy to adjust intonation. When I bought the guitar, it already had a few damages, which blame more on guitar center than the factory; also sometimes when you Switch from the neck to the Bridge pickup, the pickup won't work and it needs to warm up or something, very odd. The tuners are quite nice, but don't stay in tune well when you put it in a case, but playing wise, they stay in tune nicely. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very rugged and I don't have problems when it falls or I bump it. The knobs are sturdy and everything is put on well. The strap buttons are solid and I use it without a backup for live playing. The finish is very good and doesn't fade the slightest. Again however, the pickups can malfunction and be quite annoying. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my first guitar, and I've owned for about a year now, I'm planning on getting a nicer one, but the aesthetics of this guitar are spot on and it's a beautiful instrument, it has it's flaws, but you learn to live with them. It'll serve me well for the years to come, but definitely won't remain my first choice guitar. The coil tap is very nice and gives you much more tonal range. I think I might change the pickups one day, but for now, I'm saving up for a new guitar. // 7

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014