C-1 Arist II Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 10/18/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 Arist II
The Schecter C-1 Artist II Electric Guitar features Schecter's exclusive zero-heel Ultra-Access neck joint with the superior tone of USA Seymour Duncan pickups.
 7.3
 6.6
review (1) pictures (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Arist II Reviewed by: r0ckth3d34n, on october 18, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar was made in 2009 in South Korea. It sports 24 jumbo frets (I think they're jumbo) on a 25'5" scale mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboards, and some of the coolest inlays I've ever seen on a guitar. The neck is pretty chunky toward the first fret, and flattens out to a pretty thin uniform-like shape toward the 12th fret. For me, it's incredibly comfortable. I love this neck. It's not too thick or too thin anywhere. I can't stand chunks of wood or paper thin necks, and it's perfect for me. It's a superstrat shapped mahogany body with a beautiful quilted maple top in Bloodmoon red. Has a TonePros locking Tune-O-Matic style bridge, a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck, a 5 way Switch with splits the pickups. 1 Volume control, 1 Tone control with Mother of Pearl knobs. And to top it all off, a GraphTech Tusq nut, Grover tuners, pearloid binding and black nickel hardware. Came with all the allen wrenches need for the bridge studs and the truss rod. // 8

Sound: This guitar fits my playing styles incredibly well. I play all kinds of bands from All Time Low, Silverstein, Sky Eats Airplane, We Came as Romans, Attack Attack!, LoveHateHero, A Day to Remember, Escape the Fate, Woe is Me, basically metalcore and post-hardocre, with some pop-punk influences here and there, and I also play guitar in Jazz band at school, so I need a versatile guitar. And this guitar is just that and more. I play it through a Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube amp, on the Lead Channel, I use the Modern voicing. On the Clean Channel I usually use the Classing voicing, both through the High Gain input. The JB handles moderate gain very well. It stays very articulate and doesn't muddy up even with too much gain. I'm not a huge fan of how it sounds clean, it's a little bit too overpowering and bright, even with the tone almost completely off. I use it in the coil-split mode, though, and it pulls off some very bright tones, only achievable by single coils. The '59 is buttery clean, very smooth and full. I don't use it often, but its nice having a very clean pickup. When split, the sound is much more crisp. A little thinner, still retains that single coil brightness, even with the tone almost off. I like how it sounds more split than not. With some gain, it could easily handle some dirty blues. I could see using it with a good amount of gain for sustaining powerchords or something, but playing rhythm with this pickup just wouldn't cut it. The sustain is just phenomenal. The middle position is normally what I use for cleans, with the tone rolled off slightly. It has just the right blend of bright and butter. Not kidding. This position is my favorite because the cleans just fit so many styles. With gain, it's just too muddy. It's incredibly full sounding. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how the guitar was set up out of the factory, I bought it used and I'm not sure if MF set it up before shipping or anything, but I know that Schecter sets up their guitars before distributing them. I can't recall if everything was spot on. The action was low and the intonation might have been off a little bit, but that really doesn't matter. The pickups are just fine the way they are, I can't complain that the JB overpowers the '59 at all when the pickup Switch is in the middle. The quilt top is beautiful, and I'm not a huge fan of quilt tops. The pearloid binding is gorgeous as well, my only complaints being some red paint bleeding into the binding, which isn't incredibly noticeable unless you're paying a lot of attention to it and the fretboard markers on the side of the neck could be black instead of white. They blend in with the pearloid pretty well and are hard to see, but I've gotten use to it. What can I say? For $270, I couldn't have a better guitar. They retailed somewhere around $600-$700 new and it's excellent. The fret job is amazing, and every fret is incredibly easy to reach with all my fingers. Aside from the finish flaws, this guitar plays excellent and is almost perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I put some strap locks on so now it's more secure than before. It never fell off while playing, but I just like to be sure. The hardware seems like it'll last, but it seems like the black nickel finish in the bridge is already started to fade. Other than that, everything seems to be incredibly solid. I feel like I could depend on this guitar without a back up, unless a string broke on it or something small like that. It's a very solid guitar. The finish has some scratches in it and one hardly noticeable dent, a little over 2 months since I bought this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said above, I play lots of post-hardcore, metalcore and pop-punk. This guitar fits all of those genres very well. I've been playing for 3 years and I own one other guitar, a Dean DBD T and this Schecter is a huge step up for that. If it was ever lost or stolen, I'd be very upset because you can't really find these anymore, and I'll never get another one for under $300. I love the sound, the look, the pickups, there's nothing to hate really! I didn't really compare it to anything, it was a guitar that I glanced at before when I was trying to find something I wanted to buy as an upgrade, and when I had enough money to buy this guitar, it was sort of an impulse buy, I had another guitar in mind, but I have no regrets. The only thing I wish it DIDN'T have was the locking studs on the bridge. I really don't like them. They make adjusting the action sort of a hassle. // 8

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014