C-1 Blackjack Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/22/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 Blackjack
It's armed with the Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4) and '59 (SH-1n) pickup combination, which can be 'tapped' via a push/pull tone control or a 5-way Mega Switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 9.8
 9.3
 9.6
reviews (6) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: ikky_slimy_bugs, on june 15, 2005

Features: - Made in Korea - 24 jumbo frets - Mahogany body w/rosewood neck - Gloss finish - Passive pickups - Volume, tone, 5-way selector, coil tap - Two Seymore Duncan humbucker pickups - Grover tuners. This guitar comes with awsome pickups (normaly they would cost $70 each). And the 5 way selector is amazing, it's coil taping is sweet. There is no sound I can't get with this guitar. // 10

Sound: I play alot of diffrent styles of music from classical to death metal (my favorites being metal and hardcore). This axe slaughters any style I play, it's amazing. I have a Fender amp wich I use with a Metal Zone Boss pedal, it sounds great. The sounds it makes are rich and full wich makes this guitar also great for clean playing. The only thing bad about this guitar is that when you turn the volume knob on the guitar up high it starts to make some noise. If you buy this guitar I recomend using a somewhat heavier guage (I use Ernie Ball Slinky top heavy bottom strings). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar wasn't perfect when I got it and there was some buss. This wasn't a big problem the thruss rod just needed a little tweek and it was fine. The neck pickup was a teeny weeny bit high, agian no problem. The finish is beautiful except for the part that it is so glossy you will keep geting finger prints on it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: First, this guitar would definatly withstand live playing, I don't think you would need a back up guitar (but I always have a back up guitar). The hard wear is very trust worthy and I can almost garenty it won't let you down. I love the stap bottons on this guitar, compared to my Strat, these thing hardly ever get loose, there awesome. As I said earlier the finish is awsome and wont wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: This a awsome guitar for the types of music I play, so if you like metal, hardcore, or punk this guitar is a must. I have been playing for 2 years I have a Fender Strat, this Schecter, an acoustic Epiphone, and an acoustic Fender. When buying a guitar just remeber Fender and Gibson are not the best guitars, Gibson could take sticks glue them to gether put rubber bands on it slap on a Gibson sticker on it sell it for $900 bucks and people whould buy it (not saying the Gibson isn't a good company). If it got lost or stolen I would sit and cry, then save up money and buy another one. I compared the this guitar to a Gibson SG Gothic before buying this guitar but this guitar just heaved ass. If only it had a whammy bar anyway awesome guitar totally awsome price and well worth your hard earned cash! // 10

C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2005

Features: This guitar is a late 2004, Korean made (although assembled in the US) Schecter C-1 Blackack. It features a stunning 24 X-jumbo fretted rosewood neck with dark perloid inlays, standard moon. With a carved mahogony top and magohony body, the set-neck gives loads of sustain! It has the basic Schecter C 1 body style, which looks a lot like a Strat. It offeres smoked crome Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-through, smoked crome, non-locking grover tuners, smoked crome vol/tone nobs and passive Duncan JB/'59 set up, the 5-way Switch gives it a nice rounded range of sounds that can put a Strat to shame. I got a gig bag with mine, although I had talked the guy into it. // 10

Sound: I play rock and some blues music, not metal. I play Nickelback, Creed, Alter Bridge, things like that. Every now and then I try some Rhoads. This guitar fits everything I do and I play! I'm using a Line 6 Spider 2 30 watt amp, with the effects that come on the amp. It has a rich and full sound, an amazing clean and it can become bright with the 5-way and the tone knob. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was nice when I got it, but it could be lowered just a little. The pickups were set up perfectly! Everything was just right when I got it, I loved it! The only thing I don't like is the gloss black finish, gets oil and fingerprints easy! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be able to do live performances, easy! The hardware is like a rock, haven't had a problem yet. The strap buttons are bigger than usual, which makes it really good. I can depends on it, and the only guitar I would use for a backup would be another Schecter C 1 of any kind, just incase a string breaks! The finish is good enough to last! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is the best match for me, and being that I've only been playing about a year, it couldn't be better for me! I own a Lotus Les Paul Copy and a Fender Frontman 15w, and the Line 6 and the Schecter are my favorites now! The only thing I had wished I had asked was how long before the strings need changed? Really, it comes with stretch strings, almost tuned up, it's great. Lost or stolen, I would by another one, if not the more expensive Schecter C 1 guitars! I have compared it to a Les Paul, a PRS, an Ibanez and it beats them out for how I play and what I play! I chose this one cause it was cheap and it played good! The only thing I wish it had was. It has everything! // 10

C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2006

Sound: I listen to a lot of metal/nu-metal/hard rock. Suits my styles very well, much better sound than other models I tried out. With disortion, it is excellent. The bridge humbucker (JB), can get some heavy distortion to warm distortion depending on the amp. Right now I'm using a Crate XT120R combo amp, this guitar gets excellent cleans, and great disortion. I've tried out different tunings and you can get that crunchy Korn tone. Great sound, although some feedback problems and weird noises but that's probably the amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was nice and low when I got it. Excellent beautiful Shine with the glossy black finish. The bridge and strings were fine, pickups were perfect. No flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would play great live and would be easy to play anywhere. The hardware seems sturdy, the strap pins have yet to fail, pickups and pickup selector, and all knobs are still in perfect working condition. The finish is beautiful although it shows smudges and fingerprints like crazy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, little nu-metal and punk. It definitely fits all these genres. Using the pickup selector and adjusting the amp, you can get any desired tone. I might eventually swap out the pups down the road for EMG's depending on if I need a louder, less trebly tone. However, if this was lost/stolen, I'd def. go out and buy another one. I love the look and fast neck of the guitar and I think it's one of the best for its price range. It would be a killer if it had a Tremolo bar to pull of some Vai and Pantera, but other than that, it's a fantastic buy. // 10

C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: Deep*Kick, on october 17, 2008

Price paid: A$ 746

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Mine is a 2008 FR model made in Korea. Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, 24 extra-jumbo frets, 21mm thick at the first fret with creme binding around the neck and headstock. Body is carved top mahogany, also with creme multiply binding. Gloss black finish, mine was actually a factory second with one tiny speck of white dust under the finish. Great Super-Strat shape that I love, with a set neck and great upper fret access. Gotoh tuners, Seymour Duncan passive JB in the bridge and 59' in the neck, and an original Floyd Rose fun for wankery. A volume and tone knob, and a five way Switch for coil tapping. With mine I got a spare cable and all the tools necessary to tune and tweak it. // 9

Sound: I play everything from blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock, 80's metal, classic, heavy and thrash metal. The pickups are very versatile especially with the coil splitting, I can get great bluesy cleans, and biting leads with the JB. The volume knob can get a little noisy at about half way, but other than that it is pretty quiet. I am running an Orange Tiny Terror head through an Epiphone Valve Junior cab and I get a very thick, bass and very clear tone with the gain below half way, and very crunchy mids with moderate gain. The 59' in the neck is nice and warm great for classic rock and rock. With an overdrive pedal it has no trouble getting great heavy metal and hard rock sounds without being muddy at all, and with little extra noise. Great variety, everything I need. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well from the factory, but the bloke I bought it off probably tweaked it a little. There was no buzz but the action was a little higher than I would like, and the bridge was not perfectly level, but I'm a little bit of a perfectionist maybe. I just tuned it, adjusted the tension in the bridge and lowered he action a little and it's all good to go. The pickups are fine where they are but I may tweak them a little. Apart from the speck under the finish everything was great, no loose parts rattling or anything like that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I don't gig or anything but with a set of strap locks this guitar would stand up to anything, I have had it for a few weeks and haven't had any problems with it. I use it a fair bit but cause it's my new guitar I look after it pretty well. The finish looks pretty well applied and I would gig with this without a backup after I put a decent set of strings on it and let them stretch. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall a great guitar, I play a lot of different styles and this can cover them all, If you want to play modern metal You have the option of hellraisers or Blackjack ATX series, but for me it is great. The neck feels nice and fast to me although others like their necks thinner. I have been playing for two years now and own a Johnson Hollowbody as my other guitar with an LP sized shape and neck. If it were stolen I might try a Jackson Dinky but would probably buying another one. I love all the hardware, the shape and neck, the only thing I dislike is the finish, black is a bit boring to me, Mangenta FTW! I compared it to all the jacksons, Ibanez's and LTD's in the price range but for the price you get top quality hardware not on the other guitars, the only thing at all I wish it had would be maybe a different finish without the binding and maybe a 6 in line headstock. Other than that it's exactly what I want. // 9

C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: rendezvoodoo, on july 31, 2009

Features: I got this in 2005. This guitar is equipped with 24 jumbo frets on a maple neck. The neck is smooth and very quick. The body is Strat-style, made of mahogany with a black finish and cream like binding. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with a string-thru body. The pickups consist of a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck with a 5-way selector and grover tuners as well. No case was included. // 10

Sound: I play in a thrash-punk band, so the pickups and playability suit me very well. I don't use any effects but maybe a distortion or a wah. The guitar isnt perfect for one Who wants more of a crunchy, deep tone, yet, the tone isnt too bright either, its more of a mid-range sound. With proper tweaking, this guitar can most likely suit any style. The bridge humbucker is great for getting a clear distortion. The 5-way selector can split the coils into a rich single coil. I don't often use the bridge humbucker but I do split the coil to get a Strat-like blues tone. BEAUTIFUL. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great when I got it. The pickups were properly adjusted, however just for looks, I replaced the mounting rings with cream ones to match the binding, which required me to re-adjust the pickups. I didn't notice any flaws at all. This guitar is almost perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play gigs often and have band practice atleast once a week, I also practice on my own for a few hours each day. I have no backup, and I'm fine with it (although I do plan on getting a backup in the future). I change my strings before each gig and I've never had a string break on stage. I take good care of my Schecter and it returns the favor. The finish has not shown any ware, besides the knicks here and there which I have inflicted on it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a guitar for any style: jazz, rock, metal, country, blues, etc. I have been playing for about 6 years and this guitar has been with me through most of it. I have owned a Fender tele, a Danelectro Strat style, and this is my main guitar. I would recommend anyone to buy a Schecter. I wanted a PRS or Gibson, and obviously was reluctant to shell out the money. I am simply happy with what I have. // 10

C-1 Blackjack Reviewed by: shamalama33, on july 22, 2011

Purchased from: Wood Bros Music

Features: Standard C-1 cept for the Blackjack series has indian rosewood necks I beleive, or at least this one does, it has a string thru body bridge and has 3 contreols one 5 way and a valume and pickup selector, both pickups are custom seymour duncans (a 59" and a JB) and grover tuners. // 10

Sound: I play alot of thrash type stuff as wekll as most metal but I also like to play alot of blues and funk and mix it up and the guitar handles it with style, the pickup selctor when switching I find I like the JB's treble alopt more and the 59" is good for a more bluesy tone, the 5-way I generally have set to 4 (one from the bottom) and I enjoy it because it gives me a nice crunchy twang but you can get a nice sound on it and I've switched from playing leslie west stuff do doing devildriver and avenged sevenfold anf megadeth easy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well its slighlty used but almost like new, it hasnt sustained too much damage and still looks like new so its impossible for me to tell exactly how the long the other person had it, theres one small crakc in the finish near the toppickup but its hardly even noticeable and gives the guitar character I think, the pickups are adjusted and coiled quite well actually and I didnt even have to adjust them at all, Schecter did a fine job. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I havent gigged with it but I'm sure I will, so far I've had no issues with anything on the guitar, I would never gig without a backup, but with this guitar I know I dont have to worry about anything going wrong unless its like freak accidents, which is why I always have a backup, other than the one small finish nick theres really nothing wrong with the guitar at all, I am very pleased to say that I do beleive it will stand the test of time. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches me and plays like a dream, without getting too technical with this review I can say that if your into a nice guitar at this price range you cant go wrong with a shcecter, they may just be my new favorite company, I think this guitar will instill loyalty in me to them, I reccomend it highly for and heavy metallers out there or anyone looking for a quality rock machine. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014