C-1 Custom FR Review

8.6
 8.3
review (1) pictures (1) 22 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Custom FR Reviewed by: Ghostmaker, on may 03, 2010

Features: This is the 2010 Custom series. - Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position. - Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position. - Coil tapping. - Ebony fingerboard with 24 medium frets. - Quilted maple top with mahogany body. - Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo. // 9

Sound: I play mostly modern rock and metal. My favorite bands to play are Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Foo Fighters, Creed, Metallica, Ill Nino, Dope, Rob Zombie, and Tool. However from time to time I take a break to play some blues, ambient, and pop. So, I wanted a guitar that can handle the entire spectrum, from crystal clean brightness, to crushing nu-metal distortion. I play mainly in Drop Db tuning, and am more of a rhythm player, however I also play leads here and there. The '59 is one of the best sounding neck pickups I have played through. It sounds very bright, yet the cleans are very full. It also is one of the few neck pickups I have played that doesn't sound muffled when playing a distorted rhythm. On other guitars I would play cleans on the neck and Switch over to the bridge for my distortion, but this pickup handles both very well. The Custom in the bridge is a good sounding rock pickup. The cleans are very usable, and it has a very warm distorted tone for rock. However, as someone who plays a lot of recent metal, I want something with a little more kick, and will likely replace this pickup with a higher output Seymour Duncan. This is just a matter of personal taste. When I engage the coil tapping, I get a very bright Strat-style sound, perfect for blues and classic rock. I was even able to create a carbon-copy of Metallica's "And Justice For All" clean tone with the neck pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't expect the guitar to be in tune when it came in, and it wasn't. As my first guitar with a floating tremolo, I spent a couple hours learning how to tune and setup this guitar by my self, and was very proud that I was able to set the action and intonation. The finish is very beautiful, as are the bright split-crown inlays on the ebony fretboard. This is a fairly new guitar, so there aren't many pictures of it online, and those that are online really don't do it justice. It is just a shame that Schecter did not release the FR models with the 3 tone sunburst that you will find on the regular Custom series, otherwise I would rate it a 10 for it's beauty alone. The only physical flaw I found was that the tone knob is a little loose. I tried tightening it but was afraid I would crush the inner part of the stick. I usually leave tone knobs at 10, however I do notice this each time I pull it up for coil tapping. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have given the Floyd a few huge dives, fiddled with the strings, and then pulled back up. The tuning was only slightly off, but I could still easily finish the song, and possibly a few more songs with it before worrying about retuning it. The guitar is very sturdy, and I feel that if I HAD to do a gig without a backup guitar, I feel I could do so with this. However, because Floyds go so far out of tune when a string breaks, I would prefer to have the HardTail version of this same guitar as a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I got this guitar to replace an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so of course I have to compare it to that guitar. What surprised me is how much it's feel actually reminded me of the LP, but with an S style shape. It had a similar weight, and the neck was only slightly thinner. However, the difference is noticeable when playing on the higher frets when my hand reaches the curve where the neck meets the body, where it is extremely comfortable to play. In the end, I was looking for an extremely versatile guitar, and this will be it. I will change the neck pickup to delve deeper in the distortion end of the tone spectrum, but again that is only a matter of personal taste. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-7 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/21/2013