C-1 FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/29/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 FR
The C1 FR features an original floyd rose locking tremolo system. Other features include a mahogany body with sculpted cutaway access to the highest frets, a maple neck & rosewood fingerboard, 24 easy-playing jumbo frets, Grover tuners, and chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.4
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (6) pictures (1) 41 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 FR Reviewed by: Synyster Gates, on april 01, 2006

Features: This is a USA made guitar, but I have no idea what year, the model has been around a while. It has 24 jumbo frets with an ultra access set-neck on a mahogany body. It has a Stratocaster shape but more of a Jackson feel as it is heavier than a Fender. It has an original floyd rose locking tremelo. The factory pickups are duncan designed HB-103's which are good pickups but I replaced them with Seymour Duncan SH-8 invaders. It has 2 volume one tone a 3-way selector and a coil tap on the tone Switch. It has non locking grover tuners but thats not a problem due to the floyd rose. Mine also came with a Gator hardshell case. // 10

Sound: I play through both a Line 6 Spider II 112 (practice) and a Peavey 6506+ (gigs). It suits my style (almost all types of metal) perfectly, even withouth the modded pickups. This guitar can go from rumbling lows to squealing highs and has no noise problems that I've been able to detect (a blessing in my opinion). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was almost perfect straight from the factory but I found it could be lowered even more without producing a buzz so it feels absolutely amazing. The pickups were adjusted perfectly and were set low which I prefer. The only flaw I can find with the hardware is using the coil tap while the pickups you are using are selected creates a horrible noise throughout the guitar but I don't really Switch out of double coil ever and if I need to I can just Switch off the pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use it without a backup on live playing, I have a white one setup exactly the same but that is only bc it is in Drop C tuning due to the floyd rose bridge. The strap buttons are wonderful and though they don't lock they are very durable and hold on well. The finish is very durable and hasnt worn away. It has no pickguard but I havent experienced any negatives from this. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar fits me perfectly and it is amazing. I have been playing 10 years and have 3 guitars although I only use my 2 C1's on stage. I have a black and a white C1 FR and I have a Jackson Flying V. If this guitar were stolen I would find who did it. Destroy them,, yes not hurt, not kill, destroy. Then buy a new one bc it would be tainted. I compared it beforehand with a Gibson SG 62 reissue but chose this due to money and the sheer quality for the price. Sadly this particular version was discontiued although it has been ressurected as the Hellraiser FR, that one has better factory pickups (EMG 81 88 actives damnit). It is an amazing instrument. // 10

C-1 FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Purchased from: friend

Features: This guitar is a Schecter C1 FR. I bought it off my friend for $150 barely used. It is a Diamond Series CE style. It came with 2 Duncan designed humbuckers, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, and a 3-way toggle Switch. It has a solid mahogany body, 24 jumbo maple frets with a cool tribal sign at the 12th fret, a 25 1/2" scale, and chrome hardware. The bridge is a floyd rose locking tremolo system. // 10

Sound: I think that this guitar fits all my music styles (punk, hard rock, emo, Indie, and metal). I am currently using a 25 watt Washburn BD25R. I am also trying out some stuff with phaser effects, tremolo effects, and a wah-wah pedal. It sounds pretty cool. The pickups are awesome. They deliver a nice rich tone when you need it and a lot of ditortion too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect. The pickups were set up right. The tuners were even set in tune when he bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitr would definetely withstand live playing. It is great for solos and other stuff like that. The strap buttons would definetely hold and if I were ever able to play a live show, this would be the guitar I would use. I would definetely use it w/out a backup. The finish will last for a while even though there is o pick gaurd // 10

Overall Impression: Punk, emo and metal all suit this guitar. I have been playing for 3 years. I'm 13. I also have 3 other guitars. They are Epiphone LP Jr. that I consider a piece of crap; an Epiphone SG Goth; and an Ibanez RG570. If it was stolen or lost, I would absolutely go outand get another one. My fav feature on this guitar is the tremolo arm. I can play Blvd. Of Broken Dreams w/out buying an effects pedal. I only have one negative thing to say about this and it is that the knobs sumtimes get in the way of playing. // 10

C-1 FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: zzounds.com

Sound: I play metal, rock, and some other, more effects-heavy stuff. The stock pickups are very good, especially considering the price, and the instrument has fairly good sustain. Good tone, no complaints. The two volume controls are great because they allow you to use the selector as a kill Switch, a definate plus. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was a mess when I got it because two of the springs popped off during shipping, but it seems like they probably set it up alright at their factory. The action is great on all strings except the 6th and the 5th, where it is just a little too high once you pass the 12th fret, and I still get a tiny bit of buzz on the first fret of the 6 string, which is a little irritating. However, I just got it a few days ago and as soon as I find either my tuner or my pitch pipe I'm going to mess with the bridge a little bit and see what I can do. The guitar's appearance is really great, much better than any of the pictures show. The gloss finish is quite nice, and like I said, the metal for the knobs, tremelo, and tuners looks really cool. I expected it to be a little bland, being an all-black guitar, but it really is awesome in person. I give it an 9 in this section just for the action as it currently is, but I think I'll be able to improve I just fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've opened the thing up and it looks reeeally solid, the wood and the wiring/soldering. They didn't half-ass the inside of the guitar at all, nice shiny chromey hardware in there as well, even though you'll rarely see it. I would never gig without a backup, especially not when my main guitar has a Floyd Rose, but I would not expect this guitar to crap out on me, string breakage, perhaps. This axe is definately quality, there's nothing low-end about it what'soever, which is amazing considering the price. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for anyone of any level, beginner, intermediate, and even more advanced. Definately something you can buy and use for a long time. Very versatile, could fit in with a classic rock band or a metal band in a pinch. I've been playing for a couple years now and this is the first Schecter I've owned, and I gotta say I'm very happy with it. A few of my friends have other Schecter models and love them as well. If this guitar were stolen, I would debate buying another, although I think if I were to buy another Schecter, it would either be the Hellraiser FR or the Classic, just because they come with better stock pickups. Definately a great guitar though, and you can't really go wrong at less than 450 dollars. What I hear from many people, and I agree, is that Schecters tend to play like a guitar worth twice the money. // 10

C-1 FR Reviewed by: Ghold125, on december 25, 2008

Purchased from: samedaymusic.com

Features: This guitar was made in 2007, in Indonesia. Got it B-Stock and only had a few little scratches. Has a Rosewood Fretboard with 24 frets on a bolt-on maple neck. Comes with a licensed Floyd which I haven't had a problem with yet. It is showing some tarnish, but that's fine for me. Also comes with Ducan Designed active pick-ups, with a cavity routed for the battery. There okay, but as with most active pup's, can be a little sterile. The bridge pup gives a nice tone off, and the neck giving a wonderfully-thick tone when playing clean. If you want good cleans, you will be mostly wanting to use the neck for this. There are also 2 volume controls, each for their repective pick up and a master tone knob. Also has Schecter tuners, doesn't really matter to me because you don't use them much with a Double-Locking trem guitar. And comes with a 6 ft cable aswell as 2 wrenches, one for the truss rod and the other for the parts of the Tremolo, and Tremolo bar aswell. Also comes stock with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's. // 10

Sound: I play a wider verity of music, mostly consisting of Metallica, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Eric Clapton. And I can get all of these tones wonderfully, also with thanks to my amp (B-52 at112). Most of the time I will just run this through my Wah pedal (Ibanez Weeping Demon) then straight to my amp. I get no background noise, and they can stay relatively quite. When playing with the tone knob, you can definatly get Vintage tones from this modern guitar. Aswell as playing with the volume at about half and tone about half can get a nice Clapton lead tone. But I would also notice sometimes that playing on the neck pick-up that the tone would harmonic quickly (hard to explain, but would just kind of feed-back in itself). Then when I changed from the Ernie Ball's to D'addario's that this has stopped. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up great right out the box, trem was level, the only thing I didn't competly enjoy was the action was just a tad low, but that has now changed after getting used to it. Everything was pretty perfect when I got it. Besides a few little tiny dinks from it being B-Stock nothing was wrong. But after a while of playing, the screws around the pups are starting to tarnish aswell as a few parts of the Trem. I have now started to wipe down my guitar more constantly so that to keep it in good shape. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will defiantly with stand gigs. As for the hardware, only time can really tell that, but as of right now, everything seems to be holding up extremely well. But you never know about licensed Floyd's, but Schecter seems to make some pretty great ones. The finish is good to last for a long time, nothing is wearing off except for what has been stated already (slight marks on trem). One thing I would recommended would be to get a new locking-nut just to help with some tuning stability. Because I have been noticing every once-in-a-while the low E will start to de-tune slightly. // 9

Overall Impression: It's very hard for me a guitar that would get a great review. But for the price that I payed this guitar is just pure greatness (I know this is said a lot but it's hard to disagree). And I would have to say that this is defiantly worthy of a higher price. Also, if your debating whether you should save up a few hundred more dollars to go with the Hell Raiser, I would say go for it (not trying to deter you, but that's also another excellent guitar in my book). I have been playing for about 3 1/2 years, but have been to enough guitar stores to know a good guitar (in part to living behind a Guitar Center, and living close to NYC to stop by Ruddy's and Manny's). Overall this guitar is great, but I wouldn't recommended paying the price of $500 for it, because then I would just save up the the Hell Raiser version. But if your on a slight budget, you should not pass up this guitar. // 9

C-1 FR Reviewed by: schecter_C-1, on june 28, 2007

Features: I have a 2006 model Schecter C-1FR. This model is part of Schecter's Diamond Series which are crafted in Korea. It has a 24 fret neck with extra jumbo frets. The model I purchased is gloss black (the guitar is also available in white). This model has a Floyd Rose Licensed tremelo. The electronics are active and offer 2 volume, 1 tone controls, and a 3-way pickup selector. The C-1FR is equipped with Duncan Designed HB-105 humbuckers in both neck and bridge positions. It has non-locking tuners made by Schecter. The guitar came with a cable that cut out after a weeks use, that's why I stick with monster cable. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits my style of music well, I play mostly hard rock and metal. I've been using it with a DigiTech Metal Master with a Fender 212R amp. The active electronics keep the guitar pretty quiet, never a problem with my noise suppressor anyways. The guitar can play pretty much anything really, heavy to clean, it's can do it. it's extremely easy to do pinch harmonics if that means anything to you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To be honest I don't know how the guitar was set-up at the factory. The tech at Mom's Music check everything out and set it up again, I don't know Who did what but it seems good to me. The tech told me that the bridge pup was a little too close so he lowered it for me. The has a few flaws in the white binding, they can only be seen from certain angles so I didn't worry about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it Live yet, but it's stood up to 2 and a half hours a day for 8 months. The hardware it where I found a problem, the black chrome on this model isn't very durable and oxidized within the first 2 months. The strap buttons held well, but I'm the kind of guy Who throws his guitar around alot, so I put in a set of Schaller straplocks. This guitar seems dependable to me, and I would use it without a backup. The finish is barely scratched, very thick gloss. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock and metal, so this guitar does the job well. I've been playing for 2 years. Other than this guitar I have an Ibanez Artcore AS73 hollowbody, a Fender 212R amp, a Crate Flexwave is on it's way to my house right now, and too many effects to list. If this were stolen I would buy the model without the Floyd Rose. I love the sound of the guitar and how well it stays in tune, however I hate changing strings and drop tuning the Floyd Rose. I played several Jacksons and ESPs before I decided on this, the neck just feels better to my hand. The only thing I wish it had was solid black hardware. // 8

C-1 FR Reviewed by: MetalMyke, on july 29, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar was crafted in China but I'm not sure about the year. It sports a 24-fret neck with a kind of wide fret board, but the neck is still pretty thin. It has a bolt-on Maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and a mahogany body. I purchased the white with black bevels finish. It also comes equipped with a Licensed Floyd Rose. The p/ups on this beast are a set of Active Seymour Duncan Blackouts. It has V/V/T controls with a 3-way pick up Switch. // 9

Sound: I play metal, from Thrash to Deathcore, bands like Job for a Cowboy, Metallica, Trivium, Children Of Bodom, etc. and this guitar is a perfect match for it. The Blackouts give a sound no set of EMGs could, with dark, agressive chugs, straight to full, mellow cleans. You can also get a decent crunch tone with them. I'm running this guitar through a Peavey Vypyr 30w and it is a great combo. The 6505 Channel really makes this guitar scream! I haven't heard much noise from this...except for the Metal I'm Making! \m/. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It came great from the factory, with perfect action and only 1 out of tune string. The finish looks like it could take a beating...but i'm not going to test that theory. There is one little crack in the paint (I bought it B-stock) between the neck and one of the horns of the body...but its barely noticable. The Floyd stays in tune nice...I only have to tune it maybe...twice after putting it in my desired tuning. Its gone from Standard to Drop C, to Drop B, to Drop A...and I haven't had to mess with the springs or adjust anything. This guitar was set up great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should stand a gig pretty well. The hardware seems sturdy. I'd always use a backup though...because my band uses about...4 different tunings (Standard, Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, maybe Drop A in the future). The strap buttons seem to be sturdy enough. // 9

Overall Impression: This wasn't my first guitar choice actually. I was hellbent on a Dean Razorback Db and I was going to swap the shitty Dean Stock p/ups with Duncan Blackouts. Then I found this beast, with Blackouts Already In! I didn't fancy the Floyd much...but it grew on me as soon as I held it in my hands. I play metal, and this guitar gives me the best metal tone I've ever had. The only thing I would change about this guitar is the fact that the neck isn't painted. I might get it painted one day...but not in the near future. // 9

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Blackjack ATX FR 9.2 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014