C-1 Hellraiser Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 08/30/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser
The 25 1/2" C1 Hellraiser features an arched 'classic' mahogany body. The gloss black version is outfitted with black pearl binding and black hardware. The black cherry version adds a quilted maple top, abalone binding and black chrome hardware. Both are armed with the EMG active 81/85 pickup combination.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.5
 9.5
 8.5
reviews (11) pictures (3) 112 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: rockogre, on january 04, 2006

Features: This beauty was made in 2005 in Korea. It has 24 Jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard backed by a 3-piece mahogany neck. The string through C1 style body (Strat-like with more contours for comfort) is also mahogony witha quilted maple top. The black cherry paint job (also availible in black) is so thick and deep, however transluscent, that way you can see the grain of the wood. The best part of the body is the abalone binding. The abalone is also on the fretboard as Gothic Crosses to replace the traditional "dots." The Grover tuners are a beatiful tainted chrome (as are the pegs, volume and tone pots, 3-way Switch, and input jack). Pickups - EMG 81 (bridge)/85 (neck) active pickups. The best pickups I've ever used. peroid. Any tone imaginable. However, the run a little hot for clean chord progessions. And of course, they really Shine for metal. 2 vol pots 1 tone. Tune-O-Matic bridge piece. It included one cable. // 10

Sound: I play metal, blues, bluesy rock~southern rock. This guitar fits every one perfect. Not noisy at all, only my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone is, and my Marshall MG100HDFX too. Picking the strings between the bridge and string thru part it gives a weird tool-like electric sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up nicely. The parts are manufacured in Korea but the guitar is put together in Burbank. There was one paint flaw on the neck, a very small white spot, nothing horrible. However, still, I'd rather it not be there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: When I first got this guitar the volume pot for the EMG 85 was rubbing underneath so I raised it and it seems just as solid as the other two. The strap buttons are nice, they are black chrome too. I havn't played a gig with it (not currently in a band) but I would always have a backup to be safe. No matter what guitar I had. This thing is built like a tank though so it can take a beating. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my third addition to my guitar collection. I also have an Epiphone acoustic and a Peavey Predator EXP. This guitar was such an incredible jump from the Peavey I was a bit overwhelmed. If it were stolen, it wouldnt be it never leaves my side. But, if it was lost or stolen I would buy another, I really love this guitar. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years. I do wish this guitar had a booster Switch the the EMG PA-2 or AB pot. I was comparing this with an ESP but didnt have nearly enough money for the ESP eclipse II. The funny thing is this has more features and the same platinum award from guitar world as the ESP. So I bought this. I also hope it will become a collectors item (since its the first run of the C1 hellraisers). // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 22, 2007

Features: Schecter's black cherry Hellraiser is firmly entrenched in the Superstrat realm, with a double cutaway mahogany body, arched quilted maple top, and dual EMG humbuckers. You can select either the EMG 81 in the bridge position, the 85 in the neck position, or both via a simple three-way Switch. Each pickup has it's own volume knob, and there is a master tone knob. The slim mahogany neck sports extra jumbo frets, black binding, and a rosewood fretboard with abalone gothic cross inlays. The body and headstock are both bound with abalone, a nice but not-too-gaudy touch. The strings go through the body and over a Tonepros locking bridge (much like a Gibson Tune-O-Matic), and the tuners are sealed Grovers. All of the hardware is black chrome in color, and the scale length is 25.5", like a Strat. // 8

Sound: This guitar is quite obviously aimed at the metal/thrash market, with whom EMG pickups have become almost a prerequisite. The 81 in the bridge is clear and bright without being harsh, and pick harmonics almost play themselves. The 85 in the neck has a smoother, more Vintage tone, which fits well with the way most rock players use their neck pickup. This is the same combination Zakk Wylde uses on his Les Pauls, and it's easy to see why. I was able to coax all sorts of tones from raging metal to classic rock to warm, fat clean without too much trouble. Players Who want more versatility may miss not having a single-coil, but this guitar was meant to be on ten all the time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is consistently low all the way up the neck, making the overall feel very fast. The set neck construction and smooth heel allows comfortable playing all the way up to the 24th fret. The jumbo frets are great for bending, allowing the player to get plenty of grip on the string without hitting wood. If you haven't played a guitar with big frets, it may take some getting used to, but I have liked having jumbo frets for quite some time. Whether playing fast alternate-picked runs, smooth legato phrases or sweep-picked arpeggios, the Hellraiser let me play it and didn't fight back. It is no slouch on rhythm, either, you just have to be careful not to use too heavy of a touch with your left hand. With the very tall frets, it is possible to pull your notes sharp if you press down too hard. Again, if you're used to jumbo frets, this won't be a problem. The guitar does need a battery, but a single nine-volt is good for 1500 hours or so, and as long as you don't leave it plugged in all the time, this makes for a lot of playing time. Schecter made battery changes easy, too, by putting the battery in it's own compartment with an easy-to-remove lid. This kind of touch shows that the designers at Schecter are players first, engineers second. In fact, the workmanship all around was very slick and clean, with no flaws in the finish, fretwork or hardware. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The Hellraiser is a fairly new model, so long-term reliability reports are not widely available. I have talked to many Schecter players, however, and they all seem to be very happy with their guitars. Schecter has demonstrated excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail, so I can only assume that the guitars will hold up in the long run. // 9

Overall Impression: As a dyed-in-the-wool rock/metal fan, the Hellraiser is right up my alley. I own two guitars with EMG pickups, so I'm familiar with their frequency response. I felt very comfortable with the guitar's combination of a slim, flat neck and big frets, so it felt like home in many ways. Make no mistake, the Hellraiser is meant to be played flat-out. Bluesy, funky, or jazzy tones are not really on it's palette with no single coil pickup. If you're into rock or metal, though, this guitar is meant for you all the way. I gave it an eight overall, but you wouldn't find a significantly better guitar for less than double the price. // 8

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Annexation, on july 07, 2006

Features: This guitar has 24 jumbo frets, a set mahogany neck (which is quite fat compared to Ibanez's or Jackson's more like a slightly thinner Gibson) into a mahogany body with a quilted maple top. There is a carved heel to the neck which gives excellent access to the upper frets with a very comfortable feel. I have the black cherry finish which is absolutely stunning! The pickups are EMG's, 81 in bridge and 85 in the neck position. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic with string through which gives lovely sustain. There is a volume knob for each pickup and a communal tone knob. The tuners are Grover and are excellent, really easy to get fine adjustment. The usual rubbish short lead was included but it's a nice touch I guess! // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal with a small amount of blues noodling. I play through a Marshall MG100DFX (rubbish but no money to upgrade, yet). The first thing I noticed is the sustain when I played this guitar, it's amazing. The EMG's give that classic EMG sound, which is great! The guitar has a lovely bright sound especially with elixir strings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up in the USA by Schecter prior to shipping so the action was perfect, no fret buzz and low as you like! The finish is really excellent; the glossiness of the lacquer complements the maple veneer well. All hardware was perfect and the frets were all filed accurately. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played 2 gigs so far with this guitar and I think that it will withstand some abuse. The finish does scratch easily so I definitely recommend a hard case! I would use this guitar without a backup as it has a really 'solid' feel to it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is excellent! The one problem is that it took about 5 months to arrive. Sound Control have only had 3 of these in the UK last year apparently. Schecter do not seem to want to give much attention to the UK market which is disappointing but now that I have the guitar there are no complaints! I have been playing for about 7 years now and I can honestly say this is the best guitar I have used. If it were stolen I would have a long wait to get another one but I would definitely buy one! Before buying I also looked at the Jackson DKMGT but went for the Schecter due to the set neck and active EMG's. The finish is also nicer on the Schecter in my opinion! I wish the guitar had a battery compartment like an Ibanez, the Schecter has a screwed on plate (like the main electronics cover) which would be a pain if a battery died in a gig! Other than that it's perfect! // 9

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: highxhopes, on july 23, 2007

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: My particular guitar was made in 2007 and has the same features already stated in other reviews. EMG's, set neck, 2 volume, 1 tone, grovers, x jumbo frets, etc. The only thing that could have made this any sweeter is if it included a case but, can't get too greedy I suppose. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal/thrash stuff and this guitar could not be any more perfect for my style. Everyone knows that EMGs scream and the combo of a string through design coupled with the set neck creates sustain for days. Even with my amp at playing volume, if I cover the strings with my hand I get no feedback even if I'm kneeling in front of the amp. Overall this guitar just sounds so good it's ridiculous. Zero complaints about the tone of this baby. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Ok the attention to detail that goes into the set up on these guitars is second to none. When I pulled it out of the box and removed the overwrap I was amazed to find that it made it's way to me still in tune! The action was set up perfectly, no fret buzz what'soever and the neck, although finished, plays extremely fast. This guitar does feature a set neck but the joint used looks and plays like a neck through design. Everything is set up and functions perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems extremely sturdy and I'm sure could take a serious beating. During shows I will definatly use strap locks though. Not because of any flaw with the strap buttons but only because the finish is so amazing I wouldn't want to take any chances. I would absolutely gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly can not say enough good things about this guitar. It plays and sounds just as good as it looks. Without a doubt you will never find a guitar as good for TWICE the price much less the measly 650 charged for this one. Seriously, compare to many much more expensive guitars and tell me I'm wrong. For instance the Razorback V has a set neck EMG ZW set and is similarly featured to the C-1 Hellraiser but costs $1200. Granted it does have a Floyd Rose but the Hellraiser can be had with a Floyd Rose for $799. Bottom line is that I've compared this to a ton of other guitars and it's easily on par with many "pro" guitars but at an "amateur" price. If this guitar were lost, stolen, run over by a Mack truck I would immediately buy another. I suspect it will be a long time before I find a guitar to compete with this one. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: SuperSnake2012, on september 24, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, made in Korea in 2006. 24 fret set neck guitar, abalone binding all around the body, gothic cross inlays. Mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard. Quilted top with a black cherry finish. TonePros bridge, Grover tuners. Tuners are very smooth and hold tune well. Active EMG 81/85 pickups. V/V/T electronic setup. The finish really needs to be seen in person. One of the most beautiful guitars I've everr seen, and definitely the best playing. The action is very low without buzzing. The set neck helps when playing at the lower frets. // 10

Sound: Make no mistake about it, this is a metal guitar. The EMGs give a great sound for metal. The guitar is fairly bright. I find myself using the tone knob more than I do on other guitars. Very versatile. This guitar really shines on my Peavey Classic 30 amp. The EMG 85 in the neck gives it a more mellow sound that sounds wonderful clean or distorted. Sounds great with leads as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action and intonation was right on when I received it. The action is lower than the action of any guitar I've ever played. Schecter's seem to always have great action. I didn't have to adjust anything when I got it, just tuned it up and started playing. The finish needs to be seen to be believed. It's definitely an eye catcher. I've shown it to several of my friends and they had to wipe their drool off their chins. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely gig this guitar without backup. The tuners hold tune very well, so it's definitely gig-worthy. The EMGs sound great. All the hardware on this guitar is top-notch, you will not find hardware this good on a guitar in this price range. TonePros bridge, Grover tuners, EMG 81/85 pickups. It makes one wonder how Schecter can still make a profit while giving you hardware that is only found on guitars twice it's price. // 10

Overall Impression: For a metal player, this is an excellent guitar. It sounds great in Standard tunings and even better in low tunings. The action can get extremely low. I have noticed that I play much better on this guitar than I do on my Jackson DKMGT. If this was stolen I would probably buy the C-7 Hellraiser to replace it. This guitar is wonderful. Considering the fact that I paid $400 for this guitar, I couldn't be happier. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2007

Features: I bought my C1 Hellraiser in 2006. It is American made and has 24 jumbo frets. My first guitar was a SG so this took some getting used to. The maple neck and rosewood fret board make for great tone and smooth playing. The black cherry finish is beautiful. Also the guitar has a mother-of-pearl inlay around the edge of the body and headstock which adds a goth beauty to the guitar. The Double cut away has great access to the 24th fret and the action is low throughout the range of the neck. I've played a lot of high priced guitars ($2500+) and very few play better than this one. The Active EMGs (85-81) are amazing for any type of rock, especially metal and thrash. It has grover tuners and a string-thru-body bridge. What I love most though is the neck through body design which makes the guitar look great. All the features on this guitar have not given me any problems. // 10

Sound: I play metal and I actually researched this guitar to buy because it was used by my favorite player Jeff Loomis of Nevermore. It's great for sweeping because the active pick-ups let every note sound through. The tone is very smooth at the neck, great for a solo with a lot of reverb. I can make a perfect Malmsteen tone with these pickups. Like Slayer or Amon Amarth? If so you'll love this guitar, it can take as much gain as you want to give it without the harsh humming. I play this though a Marshall JCM 2000 full-stack and it is absolutely devastating. It is a pinch-harmonic monster, it's like it has a mind of it's own. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory action on this guitar rocks. I picked it up and fell in love with it. It was so easy to sweep and shred I felt a tear in my eye. I have no complaints about the setup or the finish, it was flawless. Enough said. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The only thing I can say here is that the black chrome nobs must be polished after use or they will tarnish badly. Unfortunately I'm having a horrible time getting the luster back. Other than that I think this will be my main guitar for a while, unless I get the C1 Hellraiser with the whammy system. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 7 years and this guitar is perfect for what I do. If it was lost or destroyed I would replace it the next day (probably with the whammy system however). I Love everything about this guitar and would never get rid of it. I compared it to a lot of Ibanez, Gibson and ESP but I don't think anyone of them is a better value. For $750 this is just about the best metal guitar you can buy (besides Jeff Loomis' new sig model 7-string). // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: DOMR28, on december 20, 2007

Features: I have owned this guitar for a little over a month now and absolutely love it. It was made in South Korea in 2006 I believe. It comes with EMG 81, and EMG 85 active pickups that just scream. 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard over mahogany neck, grover tuners. The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top in high lustre black cherry. Tonepros Tune-o-matic bridge. 3-way pickup toggle. 3 dial vol/vol/tone. I swithced out the strap posts with strap locks immediately. It also came with 3 allen wrenches. // 8

Sound: Works great with every music style I play, blues, rock, shred/thrash metal. I am currently playing it through a Boss ML-2 Metal Core and a Boss BR900-CD set for JC-120 amp modeling with chorus on one channel and flange on the other. Because of the over the top nature of the ML-2 pedal I have to dial back the tone and bridge pick-up vol. Once I got it adjusted properly the tone was almost ear-splitting and the pinch harmonics were full and rich thanks to the EMGs. I tested it out on a Line-6 2X10 spider before buying it and that's what sold me on this guitar over a Les Paul. On a clean channel the bridge pick-up offers a bright, cutting tone. Both middle and neck postions on the toggle offer a warm, thick tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well at the factory with a smooth and very fast action. The pickups required a little adjustment to get a nice full sound but the wiring was not an issue. You can see the change in grain on the quilted maple top, but have to study very closely to see the actual split in the halves. The finish itself was perfect, I had to ding it with a pair of wire cutters while changing strings to see any flaws what-so-ever. The set neck is another item I had to strain to see, especially after the salesman told me it was a neck-thru. Hey he's a drummer, what did you expect! I had to do some file work on the 17th fret, something I noticed at the store, but once again, the salesman didn't see it. I also had to adjust the truss rod to alleviate some fret buzz that presented itself after 3 weeks. Probably because of my crappy apartment, lack of insulation, and winter. Once I did that and set the intonation I was even more impressed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I Play this guitar about 3-8 hours a day and have bounced it off a couple of very stationary objects and have yet to mark it or dent it that way. Despite several hits with a screwdriver, The black chrome hardware shows no damage at all. The wire cutters did take a small chip of finish off of the back of the guitar, but considering how hard I hit it, the ball point pen tip sized chip is a minute price to pay. Also, sweat and oil do not seem to phase the finish. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 13-1/2 years, and once I picked up this guitar my Washburn A-10 and Dean ML have been collecting dust on the other side of my guitar rack and I haven't even seen my Ibanez accoustic in god knows how long. If someone had enough balls to steal this guitar, they would have to gain citizenship in North Korea, otherwise they would be hunted, and on the receiving end of a beat down with a very heavy Dean ML. I went through a three year process comparing guitars to decide on the Hellraiser and do not regret it in the least. The little bit of adjustment I had to do was far exceeded by the rather small price tag. Schecter shows that the Hellraiser MSRPs for a little under a grand. If you can do your own guitar maintainence even that price seems more than fair when you look at comparable guitars with this pickup and hardware configuration. // 9

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: sesstreets, on october 07, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar center.

Features: The '08 model I bought comes with EMG active 81TW/89 pickups. These are the real deal pickups, no licensed EMG-HZ or designed by EMG pickups. These are 100% full blast, pre-amped in your face EMG pickups. They positively scream, but yet, with a good amp, your volume knob becomes much more powerful in shaping the tone. And as an added plus, both the neck and bridge pickups can be tapped by pulling the appropriate volume knob. The guitar itself is fairly heavy, small guys beware, it's as heavy as a les paul. For good reason though, it shares the same mahogany core as a les paul. But for an added touch of mid punch, Schecter added a quilted maple top available ONLY to the black cherry finish. Neck is bolt/set neck. Somewhere deep inside the wood filler there is a bolt. But it plays and has the sustain of a set neck. Add to that the way that the neck sweeps in and isn't sharp, you wind up having fantastic upper fret access. Some other things to note: Tune-o-matic bridge with string thru body design. Nut is some sort of graphite material that keeps tone. Grover tuners up top. 3-way Fender like pickup selector with two volume knobs and a single master tone knob. // 10

Sound: My style is everything. Therefore I needed a guitar able to go from deep grainy pain blues, to screaming mid scooped metal, to classic rock, and even a bit of jazz. I don't discriminate, and neither does the hellraiser. If I were to put one word to the sound I'd say "crisp". Some people say that EMG pickups sound sterile clean. I won't lie, they do, but the wood of this guitar warms up the sound incredibly. I use this guitar through a small solid state amp. However, I HAVE plugged this baby into Randall full stacks and turned up everything, I've used small combo amps like peaveys valveking, and I've tried pumping the sound of this beast into a Marshall JVM 100 watt full-stack. It all sounds good. Since the EMGs are grounded to a negative module of a 9v battery; when you mute the strings, the hum produced is so tiny even with the gain cranked up past the ear bleeding point. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The problem with guitar center is that they let kids tune these guitars in drop B or whatever is low enough these days. This causes a bit of neck craziness when you get one. Just say to the guys if you buy one, "here is a pack of strings, I will not buy this guitar unless it is setup as if it just came to the factory, and I will give you 40 bucks in cash if you do it". Since a setup is 100 bucks at GC this is a bargin, and you get the same job done. All they do is ask for a favor from the locale guitar dude that he spend 10 minutes setting up the action and the neck bow and whatever. So when I had mine, it was basically new. The action for me is the only thing I don't like that much on mine. I try to have medium action, but it doesn't take to it very well. The guitar either wants super extreme low action, or no action at all. No fret buzzes though, even with some extreme 12's. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Without a doubt, this guitar will last me decades. I'll give it to my kids (or maybe not) when they're old enough. And they might even be able to give it to their kids. Put it this way, I've had pro recording dudes come and play my guitar and then laugh. When I asked why, they said "Dude I should have bought this instead of my Ibanez rg/les paul standard/charvell. it's really that good. The electronics are freaking solid, EMG's never go wrong. Just don't leave it plugged in over night, other wise the pre-amp is always "on" and the battery will die. Symptoms of a dying battery are basically low volume even with the pots on 10. All the hardware is black chromed, the knobs are actually screwed on with hex nuts so they won't fall off, and the selector Switch piece of plastic is on that thing with some wicked tight fit. I've already scratched it a bit, but you'd never notice it. The finish stands up well. And takes wonderful to some elbow grease and some Shine formula. Every time I take off the strings I make it my business to buff the crude off the finish. And boy is it worth it. // 10

Overall Impression: Its a great guitar for a fantastic value. Schecter is the hidden gem of the guitar world, with great parts and fantastic value. If it were stolen, I'd hunt the guy down that did it and take it back by force. And if I genuinely lost it I'd be heart broken, and buy another one. The only thing I don't like about it is that I wanted the white one. But the black cherry is nice, and it's worn on me. I wish it had strap locks, but not a big deal. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: Taint McGooch, on september 10, 2009

Features: 2009 Model, Made in Korea. 25 1/2" scale i believe, 24 Jumbo frets. Black Cherry finish which is absolutely stunning up close. Abalone binding on body and headstock and black binding on neck with rosewood fretboard. Grover tuners, Tone-Pros bridge and string through body design along with set neck. Body and core are both mahogany while top is quilted maple. 2 Active EMG 81TW/89 (coil-tappable) humbucking pups controlled by a 3 way selector Switch and 2 volume, 1 Master tone controls. // 10

Sound: This guitar was clearly made for metal, pinch harmonics are a breeze, and the resonance from the body give this beauty a warm rich tone that hits you in the chest. I'm running this bad boy through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster head with a Marshall 1960A 4X12 cab and a Diezel 4X12 FL cab with V30's. This beast absolutely screams through this rig. The only thing i did not like about this guitar is the stock pickups. The coil tapping thing was a great idea, but not for this guitar. They sound too compressed with the low E and A strings, and i could not get anything but a nasty muddy tone from them. I swapped the pickups and volume pots out and put a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts in and it sounds so much better. would give this higher rating, but had to spend an extra 180 bucks to get decent sound from the pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was set up at perfect height, pickups haven't needed a bit of adjusting, guitar stays in tune amazingly well. Finish has 2 flaws that I have found so far, but they are extremely minor and i only noticed them because i was looking for them, at the same time, little flaws like that have never bothered me, I'm gonna beat the living crap out of this guitar anyway. Neck is as smooth as butter, even though it has a very fat profile (almost Explorer/Les Paul-ish). Nothing to complain about here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I cant say too much about reliability, as no situation has occurred that would test it, and if i would have to guess, I would say I could safely gig without a backup (maybe an extra 9 volt), but string breakage can be a problem, so its better to be safe than sorry. Everything does feel nice and solid, even swapped out original strap button screws for some strap lock screws, and the new ones have not come loose yet. // 10

Overall Impression: With the exception of the stock pickup issue, I believe this guitar is perfect. Schecter is still a fairly small company so they can make great quality instruments for a fraction of the price. I whole-heartedly believe that if this guitar had an ESP or Gibson symbol on the headstock it would be a 1500 dollar guitar. I would have liked it if this baby came pre-loaded with the Blackouts, because they sound perfect in her, but can't complain too much when i still feel like i'm ripping Schecter off only paying them 750 for this sucker. If it were stolen i would immediately replace it, no questions, i feel like this is going to turn into my "frankenstein" guitar. // 9

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: KaosGuitarist, on october 13, 2009

Features: The C-1 Hellraiser has 24 easy to reach frets, thanks to the neck which flows into the body. The pickups are EMG 81/89 active, with a push/pull knob for the 2 volume controls, making them Switch between humbucker and single coil, with a 3 way selector. The Schecter locking tuners make it so much easier to tune. The string thur body bridge is amazing too, its comfortable to rest your hand on the bridge, unlike some other guitars. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, heavy metal, blues, and progressive rock, and this guitar is perfect for it. The EMG pickups, without effects, gives a variety of of tones, especially when you Switch from single coil to humbucker, Amazing clean sound with single coil. I use alot of distortion and when you go to play harmonics, the guitar screams at you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up almost perfectly. The action was too low and there was some fret buzz, but other than that it was perfect. The intonation is as close to perfect as you can get. The bridge was set up great. The frets were filed nicely, and the wood quality is superb. Your hand just glides along it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I personally think that this guitar will last for a very long time. Strap buttons are secure so they're never coming off. I would definitely use this guitar in a gig. A back up would probably not be necessary because if you sap a string, you can get fix it in about a minute. I have a feeling this guitar will pass the test of time. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression with this guitar is amazing. When I bought it, everyone that saw the guitar said it was a beautiful guitar. I've been playing for about 2.5 years now, and I have a Ibanez and this Schecter is just way better. I honestly can say that $749.99 is a extremely good price. You rarely find a guitar this good for under a grand. If someone stole this guitar, I'd buy a new one before the day ends. If you want an amazing heavy metal guitar for under a grand, buy this guitar. You will never regret it. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser Reviewed by: spudgunn, on august 30, 2011

Features: Its a Korean made C1 Hellraiser BLK. Gloss Black. Grey pearl binding and Gothic crosses on fret board. 2 octive through neck. TonePros Tune-o-matic bridge. 3 way pick up selector. Active EMG 81 and 89 pick ups. Each pick up has a coil tap for single humbucker sounds. Grover locking tuners. // 10

Sound: I play a few different styles from hard rock / metal to blues. I use a line spider 2 with a Line 6 pod xt for the extra memory banks. This guitar does everything I ask of it. Its fast for the metal I play and beautiful tones for the blues I play. It has coil taps on each pick up. I have been playing for 32 years. I have never played a guitar like this. I have owned Gibson, ESP, Kramer, Ibanez. I currently own an Ibanez RG series and this Schecter... It is awesome! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar as uses from ebay. Sadly the chap who owned it before me had a different way (lol) of setting it up... The bridge on the wrong way, down tuned to B with 12's on it. WTF! It didn't take me to long to set it up from scratch. I have the action set around 3mm above the 12th. No fret buzz. It takes next too no effort to play a note / chord. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've not gigged with this as yet, though I have no doubts it will be fine. It stays in tune pretty well, even with new strings! Hardware is top quality. The finish is just outstanding, beautiful gloss black with Grey pearl binding and gothic crosses on the fret board. Chrome volume and tone control. The gothic crosses reflect light in changing colours according the colour being pointed at them. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes I would def buy another. I chose this guitar after an operation on my left shoulder recently. I needed a guitar that was light in weight that can give me the tones I need. I had been looking at Ibanez and ESP again having owned an ESP V series. I had pretty much decided on an ESP MH1000 untill I picked this up. For those don't know. ESP and Schecter are owned by the same company hence similar design in some of there product lines. In my opinion, Schecter are much better quality than ESP. Alot of the time... A buyer, buying ESP is paying for the name or I should say paying a higher price for ESP with the bands like Metallica endorsing them! Though Metallica have custom built ESP guitars! Everything is what I love about it. Nothing is what I don't like about it. Fave feature has got to be the weight and action. I hope this helps those who can't decide on buying a C1 Hellraiser. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Omen-6 8.5 Electric Guitars 12/22/2014