C-1 Hellraiser FR Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 02/15/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser FR
This new model features 25" scale mahogany neck is set into the arched mahogany body via Schecter's sleek Ultra Access neck joint, which allows for unobstructed upper fret access.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 9.1
reviews (15) pictures (1) 212 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: Member, on june 13, 2006

Purchased from: Brickhouse Music

Features: Made in 2006 in Schecters South Korean Factory, set up in their California Custom Shop. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, rosewood fretboard, solid mahogany body and neck. Glossy black type finish, Strat style body, Gibson style neck (thick and finished), original floyd rose tremolo, all active electronics, EMG 81 - bridge, EMG 85 - neck, controls are vol/vol/tone, non-locking Grover tuners, original floyd rose locking nut. Includes hardshell case, allen wrenches, and lifetime Schecter warranty. I would prefer a Strat neck, but I'm actually growing onto the Schecter's neck style. // 9

Sound: My music style is fairly all around, from Chris Isaak, to Eric Clapton, to Metallica, although my band is fond of Metallica. People don't think you can get good cleans out of EMG's, but if you turn down the volume a little bit they sound great, listen to a live version of nothing else matter by Metallica, that is a great example of EMG Cleans. I use a Vox AD50VT with a Target brand Wah and a Boss DS-1 Distortion and the sound I get is beautiful! If you have the volume way up on the guitar then you get a little noise but who cares when your playing. It has a very warn rich tone due to the mahogany body. This guitar no matter how metal-esque it may look, can be used as a guitar in any band. I would recommend it to anyone except emos cause I don't want em' playing something this nice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup perfect at the custom shop, the action was right in the middle which was great. The pickups were in the expected positions. Everything was done properly. No flaws! I never thought of buying a Schecter until I ordered my Jackson DKMG and they said it would be 12 weeks before I got it so I started to look aaround and I found this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a brick house, but I would play with a backup just because it has a floyd rose and breaking a string is a biotch. The strap buttons are top notch, but for a guitar thats so beautiful, I will probably buy strap locks soon. The finish is tough as the guitar, just perfection thats all I have to say. But I will give it a 10 even thought string breaks are a hassle, cause I knew when I bought this what I was expecting for the floyd rose. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for me! I play blues, all forms of rock, wee bit of puckish stuff, metal, grunge, you name it. I have been playing for almost a year and I decided to ge this with my won money and keep it forever. I also own an Ibanez GRX20 which is a piece of crap. I would buy more of them if I had the money! My favorite feature is the original floyd rose so I can divebomb so far you can move the strings with no tension. I compared it to some Epi Les Pauls, Jackson Dinkys, and another Schecter (Hellraiser plain). // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2011

Features: I purchased my Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR on 2/14/10, so I am assuming it was a 2009 model. It is made in South Korea but set up in the USA. The 24 fret neck has jumbo compound-radius frets on a Rosewood fretboard. The abalone inlays are of excellent quality and extend around the entire front body contours as well as the gothic cross inlays on the fretboard. The super-strat style body is mahogany with a quilted maple top. The guitar itself is very solid and heavy. I personally love the look and feel of this guitar. Mine was, and still is in immaculate condition. The only signs of wear are on the Floyd Rose string vices from where I do palm muting. Overall, the look is stunning and I receive compliments on it all the time. The pickups in this model are EMG 81s and 89s active pickups. This is different than prior configurations of 81s and 85s. The volume pots also allow the user to split the pickups to get that wiry single-coil sound. There is very little noise when using the pickup selector, and the selector Switch has a nice solid feel as well. All three pots (volume 1, 2, and tone) have a very smooth feel. I can change them accurately with my pinkie finger while playing. The tuners are Grover brand, and I love them. I am able to quickly dial in my tuning (which I will explain shortly) and with great precision. There is also a locking nut which helps keep the guitar in tune. If the locks are overtightened, they may add tension to the strings, so only tighten them slightly and they'll be fine. The Floyd Rose tremolo has both lovers and haters. Personally, I love working with the FR- setting everything except for intonation is rather easy. Tuning can be a bit tricky at times, and this is where people get themselves into trouble. The FR works by spring counterforce- the Bridge is supported by three springs that pull in the opposite direction as the strings. The equilibrium point determines the angle at which the FR sits. Ideally, the FR should lay parallel with the body and at a height conducive for quick-action without fret buzz. Many people do not realize that the FR must be "recalibrated" with every different tuning. It is forgiving to minor changes, such as E to Drop D. However, if there is a measurable difference in cumulative string tension, the FR will sit at a different angle and this will greatly affect playability. Keep this in mind. If you purchase this guitar, I recommend having it set up for your favorite tuning and then leaving it alone or only making minor changes. Overall, the FR is an excellent tremolo. 10/10 there. No accessories came with the guitar per-say, though the manager of the store hooked me up with picks, strings, and other goodies. This depends on which store you go to and if any promotions are happening. The Guitar Center I go to is in Milbury, MA and the staff there are excellent. I had a 15% off coupon and the guitar had $50 knocked off the price due to a weekend-only sale. Normally, this one runs for $899. I was VERY happy to walk out with such a wonderful guitar at a very low price. On a side note, I am extremely critical of everything I own. I am very reluctant to ever give a 10/10 in any category, but this guitar is simply incredible. // 10

Sound: I enjoy playing progressive, melodic death metal with jazz and classic rock influences. My favorite band is easily Opeth, and this guitar has definitely helped me achieve their sound through my rig. I use a Peavey VK100 amp head, Marshall MG412 cab, a giant library of Boss pedals among other things. I would eventually like to add a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and a 5150 to the mix, but for now the VK100 suits my needs wonderfully (see other reviews). The C1 Hellraiser FR works well with the VK100 to produce that warm, tube-driven metal crunch that can make your blood boil with heavy licks and sweeps as easily as draw tears with beautiful jazzy tube-screaming solos. I have absolutely no issues with noise due to this guitar. There is a slight amount of amp hum/buzz but you can easily isolate the source and take corrective action to fix the problem. My PC causes a great deal of noise. My noise gates help kill it, but if I am playing at my PC to view tabulature programs there is almost always a slight hum. The pickups in this guitar allow for great versatility. I am able to get perfect clean signals, gut-wrenching driven tones, and almost everything in between. My only issue is that I am constantly changing out 9v batteries. Always remember to pull the cable once you are done playing or they will drain quickly. I practice for a solid 4 hours per day, so one 9v lasts about a week. I can always tell when the battery is starting to get low because the tone dies first. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, the action was satisfactory for my liking. This is really a matter of preference because every player enjoys a different action. Many variables change between the factory and the store. When I picked up the C1 Hellraiser FR, there was no fret buzz and the action was set moderately high. Personally, I am a perfectionist when it comes to action- I need it as low as possible, with the longest sustain possible, and absolutely no fret buzz. Ideal. It took me quite a while to achieve that perfect height, and it involved a lot of work. First, I use this guitar for Standard E only while I leave the other tunings to my other guitars. I tore out the factory 010-046s. They are way too thin to get the "perfect action." After trying out many other string combinations, I finally settled with 10-52 Skinny Top Heavy Bottom EB strings. These allowed me to get that perfect action, though intonation and FR fine-tunings were time consuming but VERY well worth it. I did not have to adjust the pickups at all. The entire guitar looks seamless (even though we all know it isn't). It really looks like it was carved out of a single piece of wood, as if somewhere there was a mahogany/maple/rosewood splice. Maybe I'm reaching too far with this analogy, but my point is that it looks like custom-shop quality in a mass-volume guitar. There were no cosmetic defects at all. I am giving this section a 9/10 rating solely because I feel that Schecter should be setting these up with 10-52s from the factory. The 25.5" scale length cries for thicker strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I do not play live, though I am certain that this guitar could withstand quite a bit of abuse. Don't tell mine that though- it might think I'm planning on hurting it. Seriously though, if you pick up one of these guitars, you'll immediately feel how solid it is and realize how durable it is. The hardware seems like it will last a very long time. I have had other guitars with which the hardware rusted out from normal playing. Oils from our hand and fingers are terribly caustic to almost everything we touch. If you do not set aside time to properly maintain this guitar, it, like anything else, will show signs of wear. You NEED to purchase a good cleaning kit that has lemon oil spray for the fretboard. Wear caused by a lack of preventative maintenance is nobody's fault but your own. I don't normally use a strap while playing; I almost always sit. For some reason, I cannot play while standing because it causes great pain in my wrist (arthritis). The strap buttons feel very solid though- just make sure that your strap isn't worn because this guitar is heavier than most. The finish is excellent. As I stated earlier, maintain it. Use a good wax to keep the shell beautiful and safe. I also recommend using some metal polish and sealant for the FR components- those are the only areas that show any signs of wear on my guitar, and it's minimal at that. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 12 years. In that time, I have tried out and owned many guitars. This is by far my favorite. Comparatively, the next step up is an American-made PRS. I own several other Schecter guitars and they are all excellent quality- this model just happens to be my favorite. I actually purchased this guitar without playing it first. I don't normally recommend doing that, but I refuse to play anything in public. This wouldn't get lost or stolen because it doesn't leave my room, and I sleep next to a few high-caliber rifles. Nobody is getting in. If they ever did, I'd hunt them down and beat them to death with the C1 Hellraiser FR. Hell, the thing is so heavy and solid it'd do the job well and probably not even need a single adjustment (just another testament to the reliability and build quality). This is an excellent guitar and certainly my favorite thus far. I would eventually like to get a custom-built PRS, but until then this guitar along with the rest of the guitars I own will keep me happy. The ONLY thing I wish this guitar had was a "Made in the USA" sticker/plaque. 9.5 rounds to 10. Excellent work Schecter! // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2008

Purchased from: Online merchant

Features: My Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR was made in Korea and set up in Schecter's Cali workshop. With a Set-Neck, that's 25 1/2 inches with Ultra-access cut away you can hit some serious highs. With a body that's mahogany, and a neck that's a 3 peice mahogany, rosewood fretboard combo it practically bleeds tone. The finish is a beautiful black cherry quilted maple top with abalone binding. Bodystyle is a Schecter cutaway, not a Strat, period. The bridge is a Original Floyd Rose tremlo that does stay in tune, so dive-bomb away fellow shredders. It has active EMG 81/85 pickups, that dish out huge tone. As far as controls it's a 3-way vol/vol/tone which is fitting of the pickups. As I have said before EMG active 81/85's that are in a soap-bar style, also fitting I think. The quality of the tuners is just that quality, as in grover locking tuners, add the fact that it has a Floyd Rose LOCKING tremlo and you have one Schecter that refuses to go out of tune. Lastly I picked up the Shecter hardshell case to go along with the guitar, and the case has slots for tools a strap and a spare compartment. // 10

Sound: I play death metal, and I plug this guitar in and tone rages through my ears. The distortion this thing can unleash is crushing. Not only that, but it puts out one of the fullest cleans I've heard in a guitar before. One of the best guitars money buys. It can put out warm cleans, and full distortions. A champion of music through and through. I've played it on everything from Line 6 to Mesa triple rec's and have yet to be disapointed. If your wondering if it's noisy because of the active pickups you can rest easy. The only excess noise you will ever hear will be tube hum. As far as variety of sounds it's set. Devestating distortion are clearly there is there more you ask, so you want to put out warm, full cleans this guitar does them. What about blues and rock, does that too. The EMG's are set up so that any sound is attainable with the right pickup selection. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set up well from the get go. The fact that if you don't like the action, or just want to change string gauges, and tunings all it takes is some Floyd Rose adjustments and you have your own custom fit and feel what more do you need. I have had no need to adjust the pickups they were expertly set up at the shop. This guitar was ready out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Had this guitar for well over a year, and it is still thumping. This thing is as prestine as the day I got it. Fortress of tone period. Good solid hard ware that will last. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impression is this. If you have thought of buying this guitar then stop thinking and buy it. Killer looks, killer sounds, killer features, triple homicide. No matter the style of play, so you don't play death metal Who cares, I can find any tone with this guitar. I have been playing several years and can honestly say that this is the best guitar I have ever played, and I have a 35 year old les paul. I love that guitar, but the sounds I can make with this one have made it retire. Cleans, heavies, lows, highs it's got it all in spades. If I had to think of one word for this guitar it would be quality. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: s-o-u-l-f-l-y, on november 17, 2008

Features: Yo. This is the new Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR 2007/8 models I belive. It was made in Korea and has been set-up in the USA. As someone from Great Britain I came to the USA and decided to purchace the guitar I had been saving up for so long for, over there. I compared this to some mid-end jacksons and this killed them all. It was abour $200 more but worth it. It has a set neck and an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose (a key reason why I bought it). It has a beautiful finish too. it's a kind of Strat shape but more similar to a PRS. The new EMGs 81TW and 89 were very different to the old 81 and 85 set up. I found that the older version was more metal and gritty whereas the newer model was more smooth. It's two volume, one tone and a 3-way Switch. Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: I love the sound. The Pups, EMGs, are not like regular EMGs. They are not the typical 81/85 config. These are more smooth and defined, and clean. They do lack the classic EMG edge, but it depends on what you are looking for. It is not strictly metal, but I would say that the sound is meant for smooth distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was extreamly low and without fret buzz. I was very pleased with the action. I had to change the strings to regular Ernie Balls. Everything seemed in place except for a slight defect that seems to be on most hellraisers at the point of the locking nut near the headstock. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The hardware will last. Some screws allready rusted. I have dented it twice allready and am very annoyed about that. Aside from that It seems OK. I reckon it will do good for some time. It all seems reliable and durable. It will withstand Live playing I am sure, allthough I should metion that it is quite heavy. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of melodic music requiring distortion. I am a rock/metal guitarist in terms of technique. I have been playing for 1 year and a half self tought and practicing everyday. I do like this guitar but I should have spent more time comparing it. If it were stolen or lost (how? ) I would not buy this guitar again. I would see what else I could get for the money. I love the Floyd Rose. I wish the pups were more adaptable. As I said I compared it to Jacksons and other guitars, but this guitar really is a high end guitar with a mid end price tag, so it was impossible to compare it properly it was just simply... better. // 9

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: Malarkatron, on april 30, 2008

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Features: Brand New 2008 model. These are made in Korea and set up in USA. 24 frets, 25.5" scale length. Mahogany body, with quilted maple top, mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard. Very nice abalone binding and abalone cross inlays. A Strat style body shape. Original Floyd Rose bridge, EMG 81TW and EMG 85TW. It has two volume controls, one for each pickup, and one tone control which controls both. The volume knobs are push/pull allowing for coil splitting the EMGs. A three way Switch, similar to a Strat style Switch, as opposed to Les Paul. Grover tuners. Included are the tools for the setup of the guitar and floyd. I have the black cherry finish, which is transparent. An 8, would have been a 10 if they included a case. // 8

Sound: I bought this guitar for one purpose, metal. It sounds very good for that, I am playing through a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade. It has a darker sound to it due to the mahogany, but it is very clear. The cleans aren't the greatest, but actives aren't really known to be great for cleans, but you can get a very nice clean with the neck pickup coil tapped, and the volume rolled back a touch. It has a very amazing metal tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very nicely. I could not find any flaws in it. I got mine in black cherry finish. Transparent over a quilted maple top, The neck is not a really super thin neck, but I like my neck a bit thicker so this was perfect. It plays like a dream, very smooth. The floyd was set up perfectly. The neck heel is shaped into a very nice contour, it makes getting to those upper frets an absolute breeze. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built extremely well. They really didn't skimp on anything with this guitar. I wouldn't bring it without a backup only due to the fact that it is a floyd and if you break a string on it it'll take a little bit to change. Finish seems pretty flawless. The abalone bindings really make the finish pop. My friends were awestruck when they saw it for the first time. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal, this is an amazing guitar. I've been playing for 8 years or so now, and this has rounded out my guitar collection even further. I am completely satisfied with this guitar. I would replace this guitar in a heartbeat. I was looking at ESPs, Jackons, Ibanezs, all the typical metal guitars, but this one had the specs I was looking for at a price you can't beat. I still can't believe how much they charge for it, it looks and plays like it should cost twice as much. Only thing I wish it came with was a case. After this I am a lifelong Schecter guy, they seem to really care about quality and affordable prices. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: angora, on july 01, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: Metal-If you're a metal-head, this guitar is right for you.The active pickups give it a crushing sounds worthy of the highest levels of distortion. Whether you are a lad metal guitarist, or a soloist, this guitar can take you to all levels of metal. The neck pickup gives you a warm almost muffled sound perfect for sweep picking and fast tremelo-picking methods without sacrificing tone and attack. The bridge pickup provides a more full sound with higher distortion to punch out melodic riffs and leads. Classic Rock-This guitar has a decent sound if you're playing classic rock, but if you want that genuine sound it depends upon the amp you are using and whethr you have pedals or not. While the Boss Metalzone is excellent for metal, pedals like the Boss Bluesdriver, Super Overdrive, or Overdrive/Distortion Pedal will work well. Pretty good guitar for most genres, but it is mainly a metal guitar. Clean-Don't get discouraged at first when you plug in and seem unable to get a good clean sound without any gain. Simply turn the volume knob of whichever pickup you are using down a little until the gain is gone. That's the EMG's working right there, they are a powerful beast, but sing sweetly when tamed. I get an amazing sound using this method combined with the Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator. This is a near perfect clean. I normally play with the tone knob all the way up for it adds color to the sounds, but turning it down doesn't make too much of a difference. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action-Good action from the factory, but could stand to be lowered depending on taste except if you lower it too much you won't be able to pull back on your tremelo bar without your strings touching the 24th fret. This guitar takes some getting used to: It is heavier than most, but the best similarity I can think of is the Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul. If you like the feel of this and othe Les Pauls, you will feel right at home with this guitar. I went from a really lightweight Ibanez to this Schecter, but after a few days I was in love with it and wouldn't feel comfortable with any other guitar. Floyd Rose: Most Floyd Rose owners know they are a pain to tune. Although you can have fun with the sounds you can make with this, I would suggest getting the Hellraiser without the Floyd Rose unless you know what you are doing. To make my life easier I invented my own type of alteration and improvement on this system which I will submit an article about. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Completely durable: This thing is a tank and it can sustain plenty of thrashing without changing its sound. The locking nut near the tuners keeps the strings in tune almost always, but if they stretch due to certain instances or climate conditions simply and easily adjust the tune with the fine-tuning pegs located on the guitar's bridge. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar for metal and for it's price. Most guitars like this will run nar $1,000. he only thing I wish it had was another pickup of my choice (Seymour Duncan) in the middle for a more customizable sound. Overall great guitar and a great buy. I have no regrets. // 8

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: Rockinrol, on august 03, 2010

Features: Made in Korea, Standard configuration as described elsewhere. I bought it sight unseen... Advertised on the internet, deal concluded over the phone, delivery to my house (less than $20). The guitar that arrived was made in 2007... An older model. No coil taps. This was a big disappointment and almost made me return it. On the other hand, the guitar that was advertised as used was brand-new... Not one mark, ding, dent or scratch. It has active EMGs, but I am not sure which models and do not know how to tell the difference. This thing is drop dead gorgeous.. It glows with classy beauty in a way that photos on the net could never portray. I was interested in this guitar because of the cost benefit... $500 for a guitar with more, better features than many costing twice as much... I am not disappointed. // 10

Sound: I am a blues-based, classic rock player moving into a more contemporary style/sound. This ax is perfect for me because I can get great bluesy punch - especially on the neck humbucker - and piercing highs, harmonic squeals and most everything else. The FR bridge is easier to deal with than I had expected and stays in tune despite whammy abuse. I use a Crate 15-inch tube amp(truly awesome), Boss Compression/Sustain pedal (does triple duty as compression/distortion /volume) and with Dunlop Cry Baby Wha-Wha (which I often leave on/fixed for added distortion). I also practice with the Fender G-Dec... The best learning tool I have ever seen: Tuner, amp modeling, effects, drums and bas -- all in one small box... Not for live play or recording, but amazing as a flexible learning tool. There is no unwanted noise from switches, knobs and the pups themselves. I had been concerned that the active EMGs would not give clean sounds or sound good at lower volumes and for blues/rock... But I am very pleasantly surprised. I get a very rich deep tone off the neck and clean highs off the bridge. I am not a huge fan of the double volume knobs (one for each pup)... I guess it helps mix treble and bass in the middle position but does not add that much. I wish I had the coil taps as that would really have extended the range of sounds. Long story short: I can get good cleans off the bridge, amazingly punchy, rich, deep sounds off the neck and must everything in between. My pal with an LP says it feels and sounds a lot like his guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had some problems with the set-up... And used them to learn how the thing works: messed with the springs (had 3, need 4), made adjustments to bridge, action pups. Annoying, but time well spent... Points off for this... The guitar is perfectly made, feels like quality throughout. Looks stunning. A 10+ // 8

Reliability & Durability: Quality, quality, quality... Seems strong. Anodizing on the black components seems not so deep: Some screws and bolts on the nut are losing their black-ness. Would gladly gig with this, but would like back-up in case of string breakage. // 9

Overall Impression: Really a good buy. Wish mine had coil taps. If stolen, would buy another. Love the looks, the sound, the quality, the price. Have an old beat-up 1976 Telecaster which is going in for a fret job -- that is like a hammer: simple and very effective. Probably dedicate the Tele to slide. The Hellraiser feels more precise, surgical, slick, modern, and has a greater range of sound. The FR is awesome fun... And has added a whole new dimension to my playing. // 9

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: High_Speed_Dirt, on october 12, 2006

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Sound: I'm playing mostly heavy metal, trash metal, progressive rock, with that guitar.It suit my style perfecly! I'm using a Mesa Boogie F-50, you can't imagine how it sound until you hear it. I've got MXR-151 doubleshot distortion and MXR Zack Wylde Overdrive. Honestly I'm not using them, I don't need it. Sometime I use my doubleshot for the focus. This guitar isn't noisy at all. You can play any metal or rock you want with that guitar, even blues. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was perfect when I received it, the action and the pickups were perfect. The floyd roses original was perfecly adjusted. It's really a biotch when it's not. There is no flaws on that guitar. The finish is beautiful, the gloss black is so nice! I'm glad that those guitar are set in the US. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for live playing, really easy to play. Everything on that guitar is quality, the hardware will last for sure. I've change the strap buttons for lock strap buttons, but the original look solid. When your playing with a floyd rose you should always have a backup, but if there were no floyd rose, no need. The finish is great, not even a tiny scratch on mine. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm playing Megadeth, A7X, Metallica, GN'R, and a lot more. This guitar is a really good match. I'm playing for 2 years. I own a Gibson ES-137 and a Godin Freeway Classic. If that guitar were stolen, I would first seek and destroy the one Who did that. And then I would run buy a another one. I love the set-neck, the original floyd rose and the emg active pickup. I compare it to the LTD JH-600 or the ESP M-II EMG. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: guitarmenace12, on february 10, 2007

Features: Manufactured in South Korea set up in Burbank, California. 24 Extra Jumbo Frets 25 1/2" Scale. Solid Mahogany body, 3-piece mahogany/rosewood set neck. Strat-type body with a nice thick neck perfect for my big hands. Armed with EMG 81 in the bridge and EMG 85 in the neck. All black hardware, including grover tuners, original Floyd Rose tremolo, Floyd Rose locking nut, 3 way pickup selector, and volume/volume/tone knobs. The gothic cross inlays are a beautiful addition to this already amazing guitar. Came with a few allen wrenches and a cable. // 10

Sound: It suits my music style flawlessy (All kinds of rock, mostly Hard Rock, Metal and Thrash). Right now I am using a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt and a Boss MT-2 Metal-Zone pedal. I get a nice metal tone out of this combination. I wish I had a better amp because I don't feel I'm am getting the full potential out of my Hellraiser with the Spider II amp. When you turn the volume all the way you do get a little bit of excess noise. I don't know why people say that EMG's have bad cleans because I think they give you a nice warm and rich tone. Great harmonics from the EMG's. This guitar is a soloing machine, but great for any kind of rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar arrived in perfect condition no scrapes or knicks of any kind. It came in tune and setup perfectly. The black glossy finish is more amazing in person, the pictures on the internet do not do it justice. This guitar is flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not played live so I'm not positive, but I'm sure it will hold up fine. The strap buttons are very solid and sturdy I have no worries about them. If I did play Live I would not need a backup for this guitar I can depend on it, I have never had a string break or anything during intense playing. I have had this guitar for 5 months and the finish looks as beatiful as it did when I first got it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect fit for my style of playing. I have been playing guitar for about 2 years and I have never played such a wonderful guitar. If it were stolen I would buy it again without a doubt I can not be without this guitar. I love everything about it, the thick neck, the active EMG's, but my favorite feature is the all black finish, it looks like it was made for metal. Before buying this guitar I was comparing it do the Jackson DKMG, but I bought this one because it seemed like it was more suitable for me. I highly recommend you get this flawless piece of equipment, you will never regret buying it. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: chimairapwns, on september 24, 2007

Features: I have just purchased a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, and I must say, it is simply amazing. It has 24 frets, which I'm extremely happy about since I usually solo above the 12. I believe it to be made out of mahogony, but I don't really mind what type of wood it's out of, as long as it feels nice (it does) and isn't rediculously heavy (it isn't). It has a great appearance, kind of an off SG body shape, cool fret inlays, and an excellent black cherry glossy paint job. it's effects are quite nice as well, it has an excellent Floyd Rose locking tremelo system, a 3 way pickup selector, 2 volume nobs (one for each EMG) and a tone nob. The only downside is that it did't come with a case, and I spent $80 on a really nice hard case, although I'm sure you could find a case for cheaper. // 9

Sound: The sound on this guitar is wonderful. It has a really good clean tone, and it knocked me off my feet with its distortion. In my opinion, it's the best metal guitar ever. It has a lot of power behind the notes, and with high gain you can still make out the tone of each note clearly. If you're looking to play metal, contemporary or classic, I would strongly recomend this guitar. I think it's better than most Jacksons in its price range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, it was completely ready to go. The action was nice and low, which allows faster playing, its pickups responded beautifully, it was in perfect tune, and the tremelo reacted to the slightest touch. It was in mint condition, no scratches or chipped paint, perfect, like it was straight from the factory. Even the strings felt nice from the first time I played it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it for too long, so I can't say how durable it is in the long run, but from what I've seen so far, I expect to have this guitar my whole life. I was practicing with the tremelo all week, and I didn't tune it once, and when I went to tune it before my guitar lesson, it was perfect, which impressed me quite a bit. I would never gig without a backup, because it would take forever to re string with the tremelo, but I would rely on it if I didn't have a backup. I would be extremely suprised if even the pain lessend up over the years because it looks like it was done really well. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal music, and this is the best guitar I've ever played for metal, even better than my friends ESP's, Jackson King V's, and Jackson Randy Rhoads model. If you play metal, you should definately look at this guitar for playing. I've been playing for 4 years, and I can make some really beautiful, heavy sounds through my Marshall amp, although I would love to try it through a Krank, because I heard those were better for heavier music. If it were stolen, I would buy another one the next day, because I couldn't play anything less than this. I love everything about it, the sound, the look, the way the tremelo stays in tune, and I haven't found anything that made it less enjoyable to play. I compared it to just about every Jackson on the wall, and this was noticeably better than any of them in its price range. if your looking for a good metal guitar, go out right now and look at this guitar. It really is that good. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: ManInAClownSuit, on november 15, 2007

Sound: It suits my musical style very well (I play everything I can get my hands on). The only problem is the cleans using the 85 (neck pickup) buzz annoyingly at high volumes, but I'm sure that's my crappy amp. The only amp I've ever heard it through is my Line 6 Spider III 15; that's what I played it on in the store, that's what I bought, that's what my friend has. It gives a nice sound; gets quite dark on the 85 which is good for blues and heavy metal. The 81 is much brighter and is perfect for solos. Also, harmonics are very easy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup very well. The only flaw I noticed is a knick in the neck (probably from use at Guitar Center, it was a show model). Also, the intonation may be slightly off, but it could be my tuner. The tuning keys hold the tune perfectly, even when I abuse the Floyd Rose. The tone/volume controls feel just perfect to turn, with just the right amount of resistance and grip. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell the guitar is very sturdy. I've bumped it a few times and nothing has chipped or scratched. The strap buttons hold remarkably well and I wouldn't be afraid to use them without support. The finish is good and the controls seem like they will last. The only fault is that the connector on the side of the guitar sometimes loosens, but all you have to do is tighten it with a wrench to keep it from moving again. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I've really enjoyed this guitar. It's perfect for any type of music. I've only been playing a year and a half but I've played a few good guitars and this is one of them. I don't have any one favorite feature. The EMGs force out wonderful tone for any type of music, and the quilted maple top and abalone binding give it a nice classic feel while the black and dark cherry give it more of a modern gothic feel. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: RabbitGuitarist, on january 11, 2008

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I believe the guitar was made in 2006 over in Korea, I heard that it was manafactured in the same buliding as ESP parts. It has 24 extra jumbo frets, which makes it easier for people who have bigger fingers like me. The neck is a little bigger then an Edge 3 from Ibanez but still it's a shredder guitar. I got the red, because black personally is int my color. But either way both the colors are amazing design. They were shinny when in store, and there shining bright today. it's a beautiful guitar. It pretty much looks exactly like every other Schecter, except for the fact it is the best Schecter made. It has a Floyd Rose original, not that fake crap. I was honestly worried about buyin this, afraid of tunning problems, string breakage ya know the general omg fr feeling. But I was wrong I can make these strings tie knots around the fret board and it'll stay in tune, and you can tug till the cows come home, a string wont break. It came with EMG active 81/85 combo, personally all my guitars have this, EMGS are insaneeee, there super clean and super thick, best pickups ever. It has 2 volume 1 tone and a 3 way selector, black hardware, pretty easy to use, and it has grover tunners. I bout it at guitar center in which I know people so I got a case for free. Guitar and case for 600 it was a steal. // 10

Sound: I play, heavy music posthardcore, metalcore, screamo. As well as light rock and easy listening, this guitar can do both. I have had suicide silence, I have had audio slave, I have had Metallica, and Killswitch Engage, all on this one guitar, the thing is now it's tuned to c so it's staying metal. I use it with a Crate flexwave solid state amp 120 watts and the matching cab as far as effects I use Electro-Harmonix and Boss, with the right settings all around I can get killer tone and awesome sound. This is seriously the best sounding guitar I have ever played. Even better then a few high end PRS guitars or Gibsons. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Taking it home, the action was low. Very good for guitar center. Then I got it setup for c and it was even lower. The pickup height was awesome, best I've seen. And everything else was in it's place. I had a buddy Who only plays Schecter and he ordered a Damien a few weeks back he got it and the trem slot was all carved and broken. He ordered another one same thing. It looks like this guitar is worthy of no harm? // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is more reliable then the guard dog sitting on your front porch. I have played a gig with this. I will keep playing gigs with this. Without worry with ease. The only thing that I did was pop strap locks on it due to the weight at the end my strap would always pop off and luckly my hand was around the neck. The guitar is a beautiful work of art and is truly worthy of main stage. // 10

Overall Impression: This deff would fit anyone style of music, especially metal. And I would recommend it to anyone. It works great with my setup, and for the time I've been playing 3 years it opens new doors and windows to future writing. I would deff buy another one of these if it ever got stolen or lost. Heck I might buy another for a different tunning. This guitar is 100% love 0000% hate. I bet you can't find a flaw with it. When buying this guitar I was either going to buy this guitar, or a high end Ibanez. I'm glad I got this, sometimes I wish it had a coil tap like my old Schecter and I also wish it had a killswitch but I just ask for too much in my guitar. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: beetroot10, on may 07, 2008

Purchased from: Billy Hyde

Features: I've noticed that this Axe is a very popular one for metal guitarists. This guitar was made in South Korea in 07. It has 24 frets extra jumbo set neck, I would say medium thin neck as it's neither an Ibanez nor a les paul neck it would be just a bit thinner then a Strat. She (yes mine is a girl) has maple top, with black cherry in colour and Abalone bindings with "gothic cross" inlays (so very metal he he). It has a very nice Strat body but is a bit thicker then your average Strat shape guitar. The hellraiser has a Original Floyd Rose which is a big bonus in guitars around this price as they usually have licensed which if I may say are a waste of time and money as they will start going out of tune if you use them often which hey you wouldn't get a tremolo if you were going to use it, because of the hard work they can use. It's set with a 81 in bridge and 85 on neck at the start I wasn't to fond of these as of the diversity of them but you can if you change the amp settings can a nice tone for even blues or surf guitar, I didn't really like the sound of the 85 at the start either but I find when I'm playing clean that's the one to go with as the 81 sounds a bit tinny which is a downside to this guitar, for example you can't get a heavy sounding clean like a Pantera type of clean so to speak, but when it's got some overdrive it makes up for it. The controls on this guitar are 2 volume (1 per pickup) and 1 tone knob (both pickups) and a 3 way Switch (down = bridge, middle both and up neck). It's equipped with Grover locking tuners. I got mine just as the guitar as it was on sale but they did take $50 (Australian) off the case, but the thing that pissed me off most, they gave me wrong size Allen key!! And I didn't have the right size as is 25mm-30mm it's one of the two. // 10

Sound: My main style is metal all shapes and sizes and this guitar fits the picture perfectly for it. (Unless you play lots of different tunings, but you can get one without the FR so no big deal). I do play some surf guitar but not enough of it to effect me and as surf guitar is a bit of a tinny sound as it used old guitars the 81 does a good job of doing that (even its fault has an upside). I'm currently plugged into a Peavey bandit 112 which gets the job done for what I need at this point of time I would like to upgrade to a tube amp but I still love the Peavey as it is a long lasting amp and sounds good for a SS amp. It's a loud guitar because of it's hot pickups but it doesn't buzz or hums that you don't want unless you put on 2 distortions (a pedal and amp) but it does it with my other guitar as well Epi SG-310. She can make some good sounds due to the Floyd that's a plus for the sound but the emgs can limit it to some styles ask it's peaks for metal (but hey that's why I bought it). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it the action was a little 2 low it would buzz a tiny little bit on first fret on the low E string. the rest of it was fine and there where no dramas except there were old strings on it when I first bought it but they can be changed for what $10? // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played 3 times with this live and they were for my exams and tryout for a competition (which I got into and am performing in 4 weeks at) but back to the guitar. So yes it does withstand Live playing but if a broken sting occurs there could be some drama so I'd you think you might have one breaking change a day or 2 before you play so that it sets in and is stretched etc. this guitar looks like it will last and feels that it will I accidentally hit it on a door while walking around the house playing and it did more damage to the door, it got 1 little bit about 3mm big that just lightens in the paintwork. The strap buttons are coming a bit loose but I'm not going to do any guitar flips even if it was very sturdy because there is still a 1% chance of it coming off and I don't want my baby getting hurt. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal so yes it is very good match. I've been playing for 2 and a half years with a SG 310 which is now my drop guitar, and I use my Peavey bandit 112. No I asked about every question possible on it but just try up the warranty just incase you do get a dud (these things happen). She wouldn't get stolen, because I literally either have her with me, locked in a room where 3 people have one the world (school). but if it was I would probably get me and my whole football team onto that person and beat the absolute shit out of him and then kill him and then get one if I can't get mine back. I compared it to Jackson's, Dean, ESP and Ibanez and this one came out on top by far because I was on a budget and in all seriousness this would have to be the best under $2000 (Australian) out there. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2009

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: The guitar has amazing features. It's made in South Korea in 2007. Sadly, it has no coil-taps on the pick-ups. The guitar is xtra-jumbo 24 frets of pure shredding glory, very easy access to the upper fret board. The guitar is shreddible, but the neck is not very thin - just the right thickness for comfy playing. Mahogany body and rosewood fretboard. The finish is a hot looking quilted top, in black cherry. Floyd Rose which work great, active EMG 81 & 85's. Two volume knobs and one master tone. Locking grover tuners. I bought it privately so, just the guitar and maintenance tools. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect in every way with my playing style, rock & metal. I've using this through a Boss Mega Distortion and a Traynor Reverb Mate 30. With the volume knobs all the way up the pickups pick up unwanted noises, but it's a great clean sound, very crisp and clear. Distortion tone is crazy! The bass is completely transformed compared to my Telecaster through the same equipment. Distortion sounds are perfect...Very rich and full tone. It has no coil-taps but for 550 it's a great deal. No coil-taps limits the variety but combined with the pedal you can get alot of great tones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used but the action is easy adjustable because of the Floyd Rose. The pickups are in the perfect position. Everything is in working order. The actual guitar is medium weight, lighter than a Telecaster but heavier than certain Ibanez. The finish is incredibly amazing, I can barely believe that I actually have such a beautiful guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is studio ready and stage-ready. I would just buy a noise gate because of the very high output of the pickups. The hardware is bolted on. Definately buitl to last. I would not use this at a gig without a backup because of the Floyd Rose. The strap buttons are secure. The finish is great. The original owner bought it from the factory, and barely played it, the second owner kept it for 2 months, it plays like new, looks like new. If this guitar was at the store you could sell it as Brand New. The finish has only a couple of scratches. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal like most that own this guitar, great match, but you could easily play bluesy and jazzy stuff, EMG's are insane clean for pickups design for high-gain. I've been playing 6 months, but I practice alot, I'm a student and I figured that I might as well buy a guitar I like to build up my skills over the summer, this guitar makes me want not play all of the other guitars. An Ibanez Acoustic and a Fender Telecaster American Deluxe. If it were stolen I'd buy another if I had the money. All the features are excellent, I don't particularly want the the coiltaps because they take away from the original EMG sound. I believe in Schecter and I'll be looking forward to buying more of their guitars. I wish the Floyd Rose didn't take so much time but the guitar is great. I really recommend it. // 10

C-1 Hellraiser FR Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2010

Features: Crafted in South Korea, 24 frets (25.5 scale) with a rosewood fretboard and impressive Gothic cross style inlays. It has a 3 piece neck made of mahogany with the body made of the same material. Beautiful quilted top (mine puts the display pictures to shame) and has a Floyd Rose original tremolo system with active EMG's. Don't be intimidated by the floyd rose, once you change strings for the first time, it gets increasingly easier.. so no worries. 2 volume 1 tone and a 3 way selector Switch with the push/pull coil taps in the volume pots. // 8

Sound: I mainly play metal, but I venture out into the world of classic rock and even blues on occasion. This guitar is undoubtedly suited for metal, but with correct use of the push/pull coils, you would be surprised what you can create without even touching the amp! Due to the mahogany body and neck, the guitar has somewhat of a deep sound, similar to a les paul style guitar, but weighs much less. The EMG's keep the noise from high gain settings to a minimum, although still noticeable when the amp is really cranked. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar from Guitar Center, it was the floor model. So it obviously needed some work. Action was a little high for my taste and the neck needed a truss rod adjustment, as well as a string change. Once all is said and done, it plays like a dream. Just beware of fingerprints, as they tend to be noticeable, but its nothing a microfiber cloth can't fix. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a great guitar that can and will withstand live playing, although only a fool would play without a backup, especially since this has a Floyd Rose system. The finish seems pretty solid and looks great. Hardware seems well made and built to last. The strap buttons seem to be solid, but I should invest in some strap locks soon (better safe than sorry).I've had it for about a month now and it has withstood bedroom playing and a gig so far. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal (about 1 year 7 months so far)and also own an Epiphone les paul standard, Fender mexican strat, and a Marshall mg100 hdfx half stack. With emg's and a floyd, this guitar was the perfect match. I looked into ESP's, specifically the ESP LTD MH-1000 Deluxe model, but this guitar had a nicer quilted top, push/pull coils, and better inlays all for about 50 dollars more; and to make it even better, I got it on sale (150 bucks off the Guitar Center lowest price)which essentially made it cheaper than the ESP. If it were lost, I'd buy it again ASAP. I love the emg's and the floyd rose. I am a 100 percent fully satisfied customer and Schecter has outdone themselves with this incredible and versatile guitar. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014