C-1 Standard Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-1 Standard
This guitar has everything I wanted, plus it's ones of the only guitars in this price range without a Floyd Rose in it. It handles metal very well, especially for not having active pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 7.3
reviews (3) pictures (5) 29 comments vote for this gear:
C-1 Standard Reviewed by: Metal_Master_0, on june 06, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This C-1 Standard is from the 2005-2007 area, made in the USA. I've had it for about 6 months and have given it a very good test drive. It has a very smooth 24 fret rosewood fretboard with Dot inlays and medium frets, which make really nice for shredding on the upper notes. The neck and body are mahogany with a flamed maple top. The neck is advertised to be bolt-on, but it's clearly a jointed neck. The neck is thin and good for shredding but still thick enough for barre chords. The finish is nice and thick, very smooth and it really brings the deep red through. It offers a double cutaway making plenty of room for the upper frets and has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge with a string-thru body, and may I note that the nut isn't made out of ivory but instead out of synthetic material called TUSQ, which is supposed to make harmonics come through much better, but more on that later. The C-1 Standard comes H-H pickup setting containing two Duncan-Designed passive humbuckers, modeled after the JB 59 set. The hardware is chrome and comes with grover tuners, 3-way selector, volume knobs for both pickups, and a tone knob that is a push-pull for coil tap. For the price, I think that this section deserves an 8. // 8

Sound: This guitar is very versatile for the money. I play through a B-52 100W Tri-Channel head into a 412 cabinet with Celestion speakers, and also have a practice 35w amp that I use, it sounds good through both. I play mostly metal and rock but I've branched out and have also played jazz, ska, blues and punk and it handles all of them beautifully. The coil tap and individual pickup volume controls make for an endless variety of options. The Bridge pickup has a very sharp sound, and lots of mid-range response, but can also have some early breakup. By pulling the tone knob and coil tapping the Bridge you get crisp fender-esque cleans, although the volume gets reduced a noticeable amount. The Bridge pickup gets really chunky, rich sounds from the mahogany and is perfect for jazz and with some crunch can play the blues like no one's business. With enough distortion and the right tone settings this thing can scream. I can get pinch harmonics from 1st fret 6th string to 24th fret 1st string, and the clarity is very nice, even when playing stuff like Machine Head, Lamb of God and Hatebreed. The harmonic response is noticeably better from the TUSQ saddle, in turn making pinch harmonics squeal really hard. In the right hands, this thing can sing anyone's tune. I give this section an 8 because for the price and because. This thing can handle anything. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory actually set it up pretty good. The action was a little high and the Bridge pickup was too low, but in 10 minutes I had it to my liking. Everything else was flawless, and out of the box the guitar looked amazing. The pickup selector however is where my problems started. I've read around and it seems to be a Schecter hardware problem, the pickup selector when moved to the Bridge position makes a crackle (if the Bridge was 3 and both were 2, if you moved it to 2.5 you'd hit the crackle) and sometimes it sounds like it dies. The coil tap seems to be the problem because if I pull and push the nob it fixes itself. Kind of annoying if I were to be playing a show with it and it died. Otherwise it was all very good, but for the hassle it gets a 6. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it was meant for looks and playability, but still more on the looks side. Two weeks after getting it I banged some furniture and it left a nice little scar by the right strap button. The strap buttons don't move and are nicely sized, haven't failed me yet, but I'd still get some strap locks. I'd never gig without a backup, but it's not because the guitar would fail. It definitely seems like it'd hold its weight and wouldn't fall apart, but strings do break. Especially if you only have on guitar. The finish seems sturdy for playing, because I play a lot and it seems to be pretty thick. The hardware seems really sturdy, although the knobs and the pickup selector seem a bit flimsy. I'd give this a 7 because it could be better. // 7

Overall Impression: For my playing style this definitely matches me, because I like versatility. It handles metal very well, especially for not having active pickups. I've been playing for 5 years, I also own a B.C. Rich Warlock (go ahead and laugh, but it's got some mean pups in it now), and I have a couple of pedals (Line 6 Uber Metal and Vox Tonelab ST). This guitar has everything I wanted, plus it's ones of the only guitars in this price range without a Floyd Rose in it. If it were stolen or lost there would be a large massacre in a Florida town, but I'd definitely but it or a higher end model from Schecter. This thing can handle so many different tones and is really comfortable to play, the only thing I dislike is the somewhat cheap hardware. My favorite feature is definitely the mahogany, because it makes such a rich texture. I looked through Ibanez and ESP, and this one seemed to have the most to offer for its price so I took the deal. It's kept me happy ever since I opened the box. // 8

C-1 Standard Reviewed by: Sodom616, on july 26, 2011

Purchased from: local store

Features: The C-1 Standard is part of Schecters Diamond series guitars made in South Korea in the same factory as the LTD series guitars from ESP. It has a mahogany body with a flamed maple top and 3 piece set maple neck which is really smooth. The neck is c shaped and 24.75 inches long, and comes with a really nice rosewood fretboard with 24 medium frets. It comes with a 3 way Switch which is coil tapped... This particular model comes with a tonepros Bridge but can also be purchased with a floyd rose. The neck is set not bolt-on and this guitar comes with non-locking grover tuners which stay in tune well but not as good as I thought.It also comes with Duncan Designed HB-102/101 pickups which are trembucker spaced (you can replace the pickups with regular humbuckers it won't make a difference) and modeled after Seymour Duncans HOT Rodded set (JB+59). // 8

Sound: I play mostly 1st/2nd wave black metal such as celtic frost and marduk aswell as all the other sub-genres of metal excluding metalcore and deathcore (fake metal). This guitar can definitely handle this type of music but is not the ideal "metal guitar". From the Bridge pickup I can get really thick, fat sounds which sound really great and not muddy... I heard that this pickup was supposed to be bright sounding but it sounds pretty dark which is good for me, and from the neck I wouldn't have a clue because I have never used it. It can handle any type of music, from alice in chains to megadeth it does it all, aswell as good cleans if you role the volume knob back halfway. Only downside to this pickup is that it is very noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was the only thing I hated (besides the noisy pickups) it was set really high for my style of playing and it made my playing crappy as hell... But once you lower it it plays like a dream especially with the smooth neck. Everything else is top notch. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I played live with it without a backup and it stayed in tune just fine.the hardware is good but the 3 way Switch feels abit shaky, and the strap buttons surprised me... They have never loosened unlike my Ibanez. I dropped this guitar many times and slammed it onto walls many times by accident yet not one scratch. // 8

Overall Impression: I basically had to choose between this guitar and a Damien Elite-6 that came with EMG active 81/85 and a floyd rose... Honestly the EMG pickups sound so dry and sterile unlike passive duncans, but the major put off was the Floyd Rose which makes tuning and changing strings a bitch! So I chose this guitar and I'm happy with it. If this guitar were to get stolen I would buy it again if I had spare pickups at home because this guitar sounds just crazy with a Seymour Duncan distortion pickup! I definitely recommend this pickup to everyone. // 7

C-1 Standard Reviewed by: randallto, on november 09, 2012

Features: The neck and frets are as straight as a laser when you look down it. The tuners lock and feel tight and solid. The pickups are not active but was not looking for that sound anyway. No case but for the money I was shocked to get a real pro guitar for that. It can switch from single to double coil. The pickups are Seymour Duncan coil tap.(SH-11 bridge)/'59 (SH-1 neck). // 10

Sound: The sound and tone is was what sold me. Basically a good electric should ring and sustain acoustically unplugged before it can sound good plugged in. This one does that. I needed a change from my Strat I normally play. Been looking for something good with slide tones like Trucks or Allman. This one has that sound on dirty channel without breaking up but also could switch over to a great clean blues for fretting also. It is the best of both worlds. I could not get those same tones out of the 2 Gibson SGs or LPs at the store for some reason. I tried using the same Fender tube amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is very impressive. No buzz with very low strings. You can play above the 12th fret very easily. I even raised it a tad for slide still plays well. The finish for what I paid I feel is superior in comparison to the other big dogs budget guitars. I could see someone pick apart the finish and say it is not high polished enough. To me that is vanity. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not owned this long enough to rate this accurately. The volume pots look suspect to needing attention in the near future. One knob was loose when I bought it but it. I can tighten that though to fix it. The tuners are rock solid and pickups are Seymour Duncan. The neck appears to be one piece solid with the body. The strap buttons are very solid and over sized just a bit. // 8

Overall Impression: I went expecting to buy a 1500+ Gibson LP or SG that I really couldn't afford but instead left the store with this. I had never even heard of this guitar company before and was very resistant to even considering it. If you are buying for playing ease, tone, sound and not for brand vanity then this should equate better than a real SG for you. I played them side by side for hours in the store and this one has crazy warm clean tones as a bonus that the SG did not deliver and only the LP came close to in clean warm sound. I even tried the Epiphon and ESP SG models. They didn't come close. The cleans where better than the real LP while still maintaining that solid humbucker sound. The more crunchy on the amp and that Trucks slide tone came out. The slide barely fretted with low action. Remember Trucks main guitar is modded with Seymour Duncans Seth Lovers and not stock pickups. This one also has Seymour Duncans (not Seth Lovers). For the slide sound, it was better than their other models with active pickups. The weight was also similar to the SG. Bottom line, the company has a brand name that sounds trendy and screams cheap garbage. But try there stuff out before you spend a bundle on classic names. I was taken back. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Raiden Special-4 9 Bass Guitars 05/19/2014