C-7 Blackjack Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 07/21/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-7 Blackjack
The BlackJack C-7 is a 26.5 in. extended scale, which when combined with stability of the TonePros, yields low-tuned tonal definition. As with all Schecter Diamond Series guitars and basses, the BlackJack C-7 is backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.6
 9.4
 7.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
C-7 Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2009

Purchased from: Thomman.de

Features: Apologies for the name, its a C-7 Blackjack ATX. This was made in 2008, In South Korea. Its a 24 fret guitar, with a 26.5 inch scale, which alters the tone a little and gives it some nice chord sounds. Ebony fretboard, bound with cream. Frets are jumbo, neck is set but the heel is carved away a little for better access. Solid mahogany body, aged white finish, plain gloss finish, but not too thick, so you don't sweat against it much. Standard Strat shape, access is average but fairly comfortable. Hardware includes locking Tonepros Tune-o-matic bridge, locking Schecter tuners, big tough knobs (2 vol, 1 tone)and a Graphtech nut. Pickups are Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which are active. Came with Allen Keys. It was pretty much exactly what I wanted. Would have preferred a 27" scale. // 8

Sound: Okay, I play jazz, blues, funk and the usual crap for jams with friends and exams, which the guitar handles admirable with the tone at about 3/4, cleans are a bit static. In my own time, I play anything from Prog to Deathcore, and to be honest, I was surprised at how UNlike EMGs these are. Smooth neck pickup and the bridge has an unbelieveable edge distorted (I now rarely use the OD2 channel on my AVT150H, this thing drives like a bitch), the Song Bludgeoned To Death by Suicide Silence has the same kind of wild oomph. Quiet, no hum, but paradoxically will pickup radio signals on high volume tube amps, so I had to face 90 degrees away from the computer when I was in the studio. Sounds very full on all settings, never dry or dull, which is why I decided to get it. I'm not just saying this because it's mine. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was a little since the strings were ruined after being shipped (I changed them and it was great) from Germany but the intonation was exactly right. I inspected this guitar for an hour before playing it when I took it out of the box, was scared of it being damaged but thankfully, there are no dents or flaws in the finish or binding and Its fairly lightweight. I'm going to be an asshat and give this bit a ten. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty lieghtweight, and I actually struggled to get the strap off, so I'm not going to even bother with straplocks. On thursday I shot a video for a music course, I was really throwing myself about, and the guitar remained stable. Hell, I accidentally smashed the headstock through a plasterboard roof by accident. No mark on The Schecter, but I had to run away from the janitor. Would gig without a backup, but would prefer to bring my Jackson for Drop D. // 9

Overall Impression: Okay, so I'm blasting my way through some Suicide Silence and its pretty obvious to me that the tone is utterly lethal, give Blackouts a go guys. I've been playing about 5 years and I'm not great, but I'm competnt and my final exam is this December, this will be my weapon of choice and I'm not going to play metal. It's my first Sevenstring, first guitar over 400 and frankly, all I need is another in case it breaks. If it were stolen or lost, I'd weep bitterly. Took ages of saving to buy and i don't want to go back to 6 strings. The tone on this thing is great, particularly for rock and metal, but it's adaptable. Favourite part is the bridge, because I've been restricting my muting on the Jackson's floyd. FREEEEEDOOOOM. I chose this over several LTDs and Ibanez's because It was better value than LTD and less... Shit... than the Ibanez's, I hate wizard necks and Ibanez stock pickups. All this guitar really needs is love and attention, Its even better than I had hoped, even my Red Hot Chilli Pepper purist friends like it. // 9

C-7 Blackjack Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2007

Features: It's a new guitar, korean made. 24 frets, jumbo I suppose. The body is mahogany and the neck is maple, it's a heel-less set neck so obviously lots of sustain and great access to the higher frets. The cutaway on the lower horn could be deeper though, it's not as deep as an Ibanez RG, you still have to struggle a little at frets 23 and 24. The finish is gloss black with cream/white binding on the top, neck and headstock, extremely sexy looking guitar! I like the binding personally because I usually wear black on stage and the binding makes the guitar a lot more distinguishable. Anyway it's a Strat-style body, with a little sharper contour and no 'comfort countouring' on the top as it's bound. No loss in my opinion, it's still comfortable. It's got a Les Paul style (Tone-Pros) bridge, but with the strings going through the body, for even more sustain! I didn't want a floating tremolo cause I like to do tunings like drop D, drop AD or drop B (I.e the E is raised to F#). It's got Duncan JB and '59 pickups installed, very versatile pickups, the JB is used by for example Mike Amott of Arch Enemy and Zacky from Avenged Sevenfold, so metal is no problem. But the '59 has a nice jazzy tone and both pickups are splittable through a 5-way toggle, so you can play some out-of-phaseish Knopler or funk tones too. Btw, the pickups are passive. Which is nice, I personally can't stand active pickups. You have one volume and one tone control, another tone would have been nice since I like going from a ruthless bridge tone with the tone on 10 to a creamier neck lead with some tone roled off, just through the pickup Switch, but one can't have all. It's just a minor setback. The tuners are solid and hold tuning well, the 3-4 formation of the tuners will feel odd at first but you get used to it. // 9

Sound: I play in a melodic progressive metal band, kind of Dream Theater meets Skillet and In Flames with a bit of Pink Floyd thrown in, obviously I need a versatile axe and this one delivers. Now mahogany sounds like a strange choice for a 7-string, as mahogany is known for a little muddier tone, but the maple neck and extended scale length of 26.5" takes care of this. The B (or sometimes A) sounds tight and clear. I play through a Line6 PODxt Live, usually Line-in but sometimes through a Kustom 60w amp, and the distortion is tight and badass! Which is probably what people will want from this guitar, acoustically it's loud, I can't really categorize it as warm or bright, I think tight is actually the best word. But like I said, pretty versatile and with loads of sustain! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar just feels very classy, very solid. The paint and binding is flawless, aswell as the intonation. My only grudge is that, with an intense downstroke on the high E string, the string can get stuck under the 24th fret. But another downstroke takes care of that, usually you don't even notice if it happens in the middle of a solo. And it's only happened on the open string, not when I've fretted a note. But the general clasiness of the guitar makes up for this. Also, I guess it's worth mentioning that the extended scale length makes the strings more tense and stiff, which means they're less bendable. If you're used to .10 strings you might want to put.09's on this anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've done some gigging with it and it holds up, the strap holders are reliable, the finish is sturdy and everything feels very pro. Obviously I'd never gig without a backup, but well I haven't needed one so far. Some really minor scratches on the finish but it seems like the paint will manage. // 10

Overall Impression: Just a great 7-string. Like I said, I didn't want a locking tremolo because I like to mess with the tunings, so the Ibanez UV is out. And I don't like active pickups, so the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser is also out. That leaves this one, I suppose. Really top of the line, Schecter make very price-worthy guitars and this doesn't feel budget at all, I've played Fenders and Ibanezes and Gibsons in this price range and above and this guitar feels more well-constructed than a lot of them. Almost in league with my PRS. All in all a great 7-string, with great features (extended scale for better intonation on brightness on the low B, optimal choice of wood and pickups) so if you want to try out an electric 7-string this will most likely not disappoint! // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Damien Elite-6 7.8 Electric Guitars 12/08/2014