C-7 Blackjack ATX Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 03/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: C-7 Blackjack ATX
With an arched mahogany 7-string-through body and 3-piece mahogany set neck with Schecter's Ultra Access heel contour, the BlackJack C-7 is so comfortable to play, it almost becomes an extension of your body.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 8.2
reviews (5) pictures (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
C-7 Blackjack ATX Reviewed by: CrusaderTrivium, on september 23, 2009

Purchased from: Thomman.de

Features: Okay, this guitar was made in 2008 in... Indonesia I think. I'll start with the woodwork. Its a Strat shape. The guitar is mahogany bodied, with a set mahogany neck. The joint is carved away to give better high fret access, works up to about the 22nd fret. The neck is a 26.5" scale (Schecter use this on their sevens and baritones) and the fretboard is ebony, strings are through-body. Hardware next. Locking Schecter tuners, these things are pretty solid, I reccomend locking tuners after using these. Nut is Graphtech, which apparently boosts sustain, but this thing actually sustains better than any guitar I've ever played. Bridge is a tonepros TOM, again fine. 24 Extra Jumbo frets, Standard stuff. And the rest. 2 active Seymour Duncans, serious kit, and they look cool. 2 volume pots, one tone. Standard gloss finish, so hands might sweat if you're shredding. Strap buttons are huge, was gonna get straplocks but no need. Overall its a pretty insane piece of kit, but its obviously geared for heavy music. Top-notch equipment for those of us who like obscene pitches. One point off because of the lack of the OPTION of a whammy and the lack of true stand-out features. Its also hugely lightweight, lighter than a Fender Strat or Jackson KV by a serious amount. // 8

Sound: Okay, so I play rock and Metal in my own time, I'm in a death metal band too. However, for my guitar exams I've gotta play Jazz and Funk (wish me luck). The Actives and Mahogany are crushingly heavy, with a smooth sound, highs don't really get too sharp, and my low B/A doesn't get all farty, so metal wise it would get a ten from me. I'm putting this through a Marshall AVT150H with slant cab for rehearsal, classy sound when scooped. Roland Micro Cube at home when I don't wanna hook up the Marshall, not a great amp but I don't have the money for full tube yet. Played it through a whole heap of amps at school and in my local shops, tones a top rate 'heavy sound' and will actually do surprisingly good BB King or Derek Trucks at low Drive. Hugely full sound, with a round chunk when highly distorted. Not a great clean for pop, jazz etc. So 2 points off. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Ahhhhh... at last. Everything was just right for me, even pickup height and I'm a fusspot about my electronics. Fret wire was dandy and the finish was pristine even after shipping. All I had to do was change the strings to .10s and raise the action because I like high actions. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing has bween whacked of everything, morons have screwed with it, no flaws whatsoever, and I put it through a ceiling tile in an office by accident. You can't see a mark, a concrete block would have comparable strength. Will let you know when I've gigged how it stood up, but the tunings so stable that I don't see it being trouble. // 9

Overall Impression: I spec'd this out before purchasing. I hate Wizard necks, and this is like a 7 string les paul, the tone is like a star going nova and it looks the buisness, because its White. Picked it over every other seven I've played and all good sixes for under 700. If it were stolen, I would weep bitter tears, this thing took a year of saving EVERYTHING. After 5 years of playing, I feel I deserved this with my final exam upcoming. Favourite part is the tone, I've yet to hear its match through a valve amp. Just so heavy and smooth. // 9

C-7 Blackjack ATX Reviewed by: a_hub10, on january 08, 2010

Purchased from: Uncle Sam's Jamms

Features: My Blackjack ATX C-7 was made in July of 2009 in South Korea. It is a 24 fret guitar with a 26.5" scale. It has a solid mahogany body along with a three piece mahogany neck. The fretboard is ebony which is perhaps my favorite thing about this guitar. I bought the aged black satin model. I prefer the looks of the white, but this one played so good I couldn't pass it up. It has a Tonepros locking tune-o-matic bridge and active Seymour Duncan Blackouts. It has independent volume controls for each pickup along with a master tone and a 3 way switch. It comes standard with the new Schecter locking tuners. The only accessories included are a little crappy cable and the necessary tools for performing maintenance on the guitar. This guitar is a straightforward metal machine with all the high quality components that any player would want. // 8

Sound: I play in a death metal band and I am absolutely loving the tones I'm getting from this guitar. I play it through a Peavey 5150 with an ISP Decimator in the effects look. The guitar itself is very quiet (I'm now a firm believer in the duncan blackouts). This guitar provides a variety of tones from death metal to country and everything in between. The pickups respond very well to picking style and are obviously this guitar's defining feature. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well when I bought it. The action is very low but fretbuzz is not an issue. The pickups were a little low for my taste but that was an easy fix. I'm very picky about my guitars but I honestly couldn't find a single flaw on this guitar. The paint is done very well, the fretwork is perfect, and the hardware is very clean. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only played one concert with this guitar so I can't really say anything about durability. It definitely feels like a tank, but I'm sure I'll test that somewhere in the future. The hardware is very solid and seems like it will last. I can't say anything about the strap buttons because I put Hennessy straplocks on it as soon as I got it. I'm currently gigging without a back up, so I have to depend on it. It seems to be a very well made instrument and I'm putting my trust in the Schecter that this guitar will not fail me. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a very good match for the death metal that I play. It provides me a very clear and articulate tone. I've been playing for four years and own a Schecter C-1FR and an Ibanez AS73. This guitar has filled every one of my expectations and I look forward to playing more concerts with it. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely buy it again or buy an Agile. I love the ebony fretboard on this guitar. It is definitely my favorite feature. There really isn't anything that I hate about this guitar, it is perfect for my needs. I compared this guitar to a few ESP ltd sevens before I bought it. I compared it to xximpendingdoom's old H-307 before buying this and find the two to feel very similar. I can't think of anything I wish this guitar had, I wouldn't change a thing. If you are looking for a good seven string, you should definitely give this one a look. // 10

C-7 Blackjack ATX Reviewed by: bastardsodecent, on may 31, 2010

Features: This is the Schecter C-7 Blackjack ATX. It is a 7 string masterpiece of a guitar, with 24 jumbo frets with a maple neck. The body is mahogany, which as I have experienced, allows maximum sustain due to the heavy wood. It is coated in a lushous layer of jet black hard plastic, and is loaded with Seymour Duncan Active Blackout pickups. There are two volume switches, and one tone knob, with a 3 way pickup selector. The bridge is fixed (trems are too much work for a lazy arse like me) but it has easy to use locking tuners, which maintain the guitar's tuning efficiently. The bastards at GAK wouldn't give me a case with it, unfortunately, so I had to make to with buying one myself from them. This guitar is ideal for me, feature-wise. // 10

Sound: I pretty much always play Nevermore, and Jeff Loomis is my ultimate guitar idol of all time- and this guitar suited the style perfectly. Obviously, I was expecting it to, as Loomis uses Schecters, and according to wikipedia, has one of these bad boys himself! The tone which the pickups deliver is second to none, for me these are the best pickups in the world. They have the high gain, bassy tone which EMGs deliver, but they don't conform the entire guitar tone to a generic, metalcore one, unlike EMGs, which for me edges them out. I play this with a Boss GT-10 effects pedal, with a Peavey MAX-110 Bass Amp (bass amps and speakers give the best sound with a GT-10, bar tube and valve amps). It sounded a LOT better than any other guitar I've played- and recently I went to guitarguitar to try out all the higher end Jacksons, and not one of them held a candle to my Schecter. With the bridge pickup, the rhythms are powerful, and the much needed bassy sound from the pickups engineer the tone to a more professional sounding one. It can also be used to play fast, shreddy/sweepy stuff too, despite a lot of the bridge pickups I've tried in the past sounding trebley, cheap and messy. And the neck pickup... Not for rhythms naturally, but for leads, the tone is about as close to perfect as I could hope for. Put a bit of reverb/light delay on it, and you can put some real soul into your playing. This guitar sounds fantastic. And another thing... The sustain is ENDLESS on this thing, at band practice we tried to put it to the test, it went on long enough for the feedback to kick in, and I NEVER get feedback, not even on high volumes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I decided to get this guitar in black with the yellow pinstripes... Basically because GAK didn't sell the white ones. However, I'm VERY glad I did, this guitar is beautiful how it is, and the aged white does look like a pile of wank, when I see videos of it in action nowadays. However, I cannot give this section a 10, purely because of the what-were-you-thinking 12th fret marker. Because the pickups are active on this model, some inbred working at Schecter decided that it would be a good idea to have a very lame, aesthetically dire lightning bolt on the 12th fret. This ruins the whole appearance of the guitar for me, but I would have also liked fret markers, because they not only look better, but they are also easier to play with, for obvious reasons. I have no other problems with this guitar- just certain aesthetics. The guitar has a thick neck, which I love, and it really easy and smooth to play. The vibrato that can be pulled off is nothing short of orgasmic, it is a genuinely amazing guitar to play. The action was very low, but then again, I like it low down; ). 9/10 because of the shitty fretboard features. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only thing that may not be reliable about this guitar, is the fact that the pickups run on batteries. The battery lasts ages, don't get me wrong, just if it went live... It could prove to be problematic. Since I'm only human, this guitar has taken its share of knocks and whatnot, and hasn't recieved as much as a scratch. The hard plastic finish seems invincible, and if I hit it somewhere live, I can say with 99% certainty that it would NOT fall out of tune, the locking tuners are amazing. I can depend on this guitar 100% for gigging, and won't require a backup. This guitar is as reliable as can be. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I've covered everything here. Get this guitar, and you WONT regret it. If you like Nevermore, and can't afford a Hellraiser C-7 or a Jeff Loomis signature, then get this beast, you won't regret it. Also, if you're a 7 string player, and don't like whammy bars/EMGs, then this should be the guitar for you. If you have any questions regarding this guitar, then feel free to contact me. 10/10, for the best guitar I've ever played. // 10

C-7 Blackjack ATX Reviewed by: DylonIsTehName, on march 04, 2011

Price paid: C$ 849

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: My guitar was crafted in South Korea. I'm not to sure what year but I do know that it's a rather new one because of the Schecter locking tuners. It has 24 XJ Frets along with the nice 26.5 neck scale. The fretboard is ebony (love it), Also it has a grapfite nut. The neck is very nice its a little bit thick but very playable. This guitar is all mahogany with a satin finish. The Bridge has the awesome Tune-O-Matic locking bridge. the pickups are the active Seymour Duncan Blackouts with a 3-way switch. Tuners are Schecter's locking tuners with are great string changing is fast. // 9

Sound: Ok, When it comes to sound this guitar a metal machine. My playing style is mostly Djent and Metal and for tone this guitar suits it very well. The Blackouts are awesome not to sure if I like EMG's or Blackouts more but the Blackouts are way less artifical sounding. Right now I'm just using this guitar through a crappy Roland Cube 30. But I have used it through a couple of higher end heads. The tone on this guitar I'd say is rich. Clean this guitar is alright but then agian it's their active pickups so it wont sound to oragnic. The one thing I wish this guitar had was a maple neck, I don't know why Schecter didn't use maple but it still sound great none the less. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect, same with the pickup hieght. Bridge was good, no fret buzz.(All the hardware is black crome). Now my guitar has a bit of finish flaws... On the bottom of the 8th to 16th fret is lighter then the rest of the ebony fret board. Also the part where the bodie binding and the neck binding join is a little bit crooked. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank!!! It feels very sturdy. I pack it around whenever I go jaming. It was mailed from America to Canada and still the intanation was perfect I even smacked it on stuff by accident and it's still spot on. If I was touring I wouldn't bring a backup because this guitar a tank and say if a string broke I could have it changed in about a minute. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this guitar its perfect for my playing style. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years. If it was stolen I would prolly buy it agian or buy the new ESP/LTD Horizon-1007. The reason why I got this guitar was there was alot of good review on it and Couple of my favorite bands use this guitar. I pretty much love the guitar as a whole. But I do wish it had a maple neck then it would be the ideal guitar for me. But all in all this guitar is amazing!!! If you are looking for a 7 string in the 800-1200 price range this guitar has to be one of the best on the market! Buy this! // 9

C-7 Blackjack ATX Reviewed by: Backlash82, on march 12, 2012

Purchased from: Friend

Features: I'm not sure as to what year it is, It was made in South Korea, 24 frets, Aged Black Satin finish with and orangish binding, 26.5 scale, Schecter Locking tuners, Neck through, Mahogany body with Ebony fretboard, Tune-o Matic Bridge 3 way pickup selector. The stock Seymour Duncan Blackouts (Active) are some the best pickups I've ever heard. I for one am a fan of the lightning bolt on the 12th fret. The tuners do their job amazingly I only give it a 9 because there isn't to much of a curve for my arm to rest on so my hand gets tired from time to time. I also got a Roadrunner Molded case with it. // 9

Sound: It suits progressive death-core PERFECTLY I couldn't ask for a better guitar. It also does well with cleans as well Its a full wholesome organic type sound that I couldn't love more I generally run it through my computer or through my little Vypyr amp but hopefully getting a 6505 or a Dual Rectifier here soon. I put Ernie Ball Power Slinkies and play in Drop A with it and with the SD Blackouts I Have an amazing tone that I am beyond happy with. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Every thing was setup perfect Schecter for sure knows how to make a solid guitar. I have the action on there low as possible. The action does quite well for what I play and the guitar is flawless. The wood is amazing its not too heavy and its durable. Have had absolutely no problems with anything on this guitar's hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't really gig but if I did I could and wouldn't need a backup the finish is definitely good enough to last. This guitar is a tank to put it short sweet and to the point. Everything about this guitar is solid as I would expect from Schecter they've yet to let me down. As I've said before Schecter knows how to make a solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play progressive Deathcore and metalcore. If it were stolen I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love the pick ups and how full they sound I also compared it to the ESP H-1007. I've been playing for about 3 years now. My favorite feature is the neck-through body because I cannot stand Bolt-on necks. I've owned a Hellraiser C-7 in the past and the Blackjack ATX C-7 BLOWS it out of the water IMO. // 10

More Schecter reviews rating category latest review
+ Stiletto Custom-6 7.8 Bass Guitars 08/13/2014